The Brandon Jennings Thread (Will Be Updated Regularly)

I am totally shocked to see Allen defending a stupid move by the Knicks. No way, who'da thunk it?
laugh.gif

Jennings could go on to be a top 10 player in the history of the game with Hill out the league in 3 months and he'll still be sayin "Naw, we did theright thing."
laugh.gif
smh.gif

It's not like the Knicks were the only team that had concerns about BJ...remember there was talk he could slide down to the late teens?

please, i slammed the knicks on a daily basis before mike and donnie showed up

I am not one of those jamal crawford, stephon marbury fans.

3 games and they completely messed it up? sorry, not gona buy that yet.

nobody has any type of patience, everyone was on board with the 'plan' and when it hasn't gotten off track, really, at all...it's time to panicbecause people can't just let things play out.

BJ has all the talent and skills set that fits that knicks system PREFECT thats why people bash the knicks for passing on him at the time and will do it now.and passed on him because of concerns if you have trust in your front office and coaching staff to help put a kid in check you draft him and tell him whatwill fly here and what wont

allen if after 3 games BJ was starting and playing like a bum you would be one of the 1st to point it out so dont talk about "its just 3 games"

Jordan hill SUCKS, you seen dude at zona and you know it also so there is no need for patience with the bum. if most people say dude wont be any better thenChris Wilcox what does that say?

I was just comin to say that if BJ was doin this on the Knicks Allen would be beside himself right now. 50 threads minimum from Knick fans.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

indifferent.gif
*#% were the Knicks thinkin' passin' on him....
that they were cleaning house and there was no need for another egomaniac on the roster.

he's doing well, he appears to have matured but that pick and his career can not be judged on this year, much less 3 games.

I see Donnie Walsh has already distributed his talking points memo to Knicks fans.
laugh.gif

Gallinari will be the bust. I dont trust any of these Euro ppl. 1 out of every 10 do sumtin
bust of the draft - gallinari.

every vid i seen on gallinari, dude looks horrible bayless is a nice pick donte green may be the steal of the draft k.love = bust i like joe alexander
from what i seen from gallinari...dude looks like he will be a bust
so gallinari is a bust?
and also a at this dude Gallinari being the new Channing Frye with his softness. out the whole preseason?? Cmon man.
I can't name one thing Walsh has done that I liked. Drafted Gallinari - Wouldve rather had Bayless
Bayless would be playing heavy minutes for ANY other team that had a lottery pick. I'm sure Knick fans would rather have him than Danilo Gallinari right now
Basically, I'll wait.

allen if after 3 games BJ was starting and playing like a bum you would be one of the 1st to point it out so dont talk about "its just 3 games"
i find no need to comment on bums like joe alexander and donte greene unless previously mentioned. I would not go out of my way to kill this kid.had nothing to say while he struggled in europe. I gave him credit to begin with in this thread.

but, No, i don't like his game. i don't like him as a PG. i don't want him leading my team.

it has nothing to do with hill or the knicks, i've taken that stance for a year and a half. 3 games isn't changing that right now. not cause he'splaying well, not for a jersey and not for tickets to a bucks road game.
It's not like the Knicks were the only team that had concerns about BJ...remember there was talk he could slide down to the late teens?
No, this is sam bowie and mj 2.0

Botching the Italian Job: The case of Brandon Jennings

November 4, 2009 10:07 PM

by Chad Ford

Milwaukee Bucks rookie Brandon Jennings is off to a torrid start, prompting the inevitable "What the heck were the [insert your lottery team here] thinking on draft night?" questions.

Considering that Jennings was ranked in the top five of our Top 100 draft prospects virtually all year, why did he slip to No. 10 in the 2009 draft?

I covered Jennings closely throughout the draft process and even took a trip to Italy to gather opinions from those who coached him overseas as well as those who watched him play.

The result was this in-depth story chronicling Jennings' year in Italy and the reaction he was getting from both NBA and international scouts.

In early June, there was anything but a consensus on what kind of NBA player he'd become, and NBA executives and scouts traveling to the Reebok Eurocamp were furious that Jennings was a last-minute scratch.

According to one veteran general manager:
"We all came to see whether this kid can really play. I'd heard the hype, watched the video and heard various opinions from my scouts. I wanted to see how he stacked up against other top kids his age. Then he doesn't show. He sure isn't making this easy on us. You want to like the kid, but he ain't giving you a lot to go on."

Meanwhile, some slammed him for poor shot selection and weak-decision making, and he was labeled an Allen Iverson type (for both good and bad). Others questioned whether he really matched up with other prospects.

Another NBA GM said:
"I'm not sure how you take a kid without a real body of work that high. I know this is a weak draft, but are we really taking kids who have struggled to produce in college or Europe in the lottery? I'm all for upside, but it's ridiculous. If Jennings can't get on the floor in Italy, how does he help my team in the next couple of years? How do you take him over some really talented college kids who have proven they can play? Jonny Flynn, Ty Lawson, Steph Curry. Those guys are talented too and they have track records."

On the other hand, some felt he had been hampered by the system in Europe and thought he would be an outstanding NBA player. Particularly convincing was his development coach, Serbian legend Nenad Trajkovic:
"I promise you. If you brought LeBron James over from high school straight to Europe, we would have messed him up. We demand different things. It is not enough to do something. You must do it correctly. Everyone who comes, young or old, from America, has to adjust. He was able to do it better than most I have seen. One more year in Europe, and he would be a star. I don't know if the NBA feels the same way."

When Jennings returned to the U.S. for workouts, things took a downturn. Several GMs told me he struggled in workouts against some of the other top point guard prospects. Early on, Jennings performed badly on a psychological test administered by teams, though later it came to light that Jennings hadn't taken the test seriously and had just rushed through the answers. Still, the impression wasn't good. That plus some trash-talking and off-putting interviews led to a moment, just hours before the draft, when his agent, Bill Duffy, was concerned that Jennings might fall out of the lottery altogether.

The Grizzlies (2nd), Thunder (3rd), Warriors (7th) and Raptors (9th) weren't really in the hunt for a point guard. The Kings (4th) had ruled out Jennings after a shaky workout and were deciding between Tyreke Evans and Ricky Rubio. The Wolves (5th and 6th) were considering Jennings, but he was behind Jonny Flynn, Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry on their board. The Knicks were set on taking Curry or Jordan Hill, whoever was left.

Duffy couldn't get a team to commit to Jennings and eventually decided to pull Jennings from the NBA green room to avoid a potential embarrasment.

Just hours before the draft, things started to turn Jennings' way. The Bucks had been on the fence between Jennings and Jrue Holiday. For much of the past month they had been leaning toward Holiday, but in the final 24 hours they began to have a change of heart.

"Jennings has so much upside," a Bucks source told me hours before the draft. "Sometimes you have to gamble a little. The great teams take calculated risks. I think we need to take a calculated risk."

Two hours later the Bucks jumped in head first and drafted him with the 10th pick.

Had they passed on him, he could've been in freefall. Neither the Nets (11th), the Bobcats (12th) nor the Pacers (13th) had him high on their board. The Suns did at No. 14, but if they had passed, he would have fallen into a murky situation, because the Suns were the lowest-drafting team he had worked out for.

So far Jennings is giving a lot of teams regrets for passing on him. How great would he have looked in a Kings uniform? Could he have become a cornerstone for the Knicks? You get the picture.

But two things to consider: First, the three games of an NBA season do not make a player's career; and two, on draft night, if you were the one with your job on the line, would you really have decided any differently?

On the other hand, some felt he had been hampered by the system in Europe and thought he would be an outstanding NBA player. Particularly convincing was his development coach, Serbian legend Nenad Trajkovic:
"I promise you. If you brought LeBron James over from high school straight to Europe, we would have messed him up. We demand different things. It is not enough to do something. You must do it correctly. Everyone who comes, young or old, from America, has to adjust. He was able to do it better than most I have seen. One more year in Europe, and he would be a star. I don't know if the NBA feels the same way."

gotta give dude his due.
He went to Italy, humbled himself as a basketball player nad learned.
you think he gets any better blowin by everyone and gettin any shot he wanted if he played college ball? Not me.

Im glad he's doin his thing.

I completely agree gunna. His maturation is what has surprised/impressed me the most.

i give him tons of credit for that, hope he keeps it up when faced with rough spots

Originally Posted by CP1708

I am totally shocked to see Allen defending a stupid move by the Knicks. No way, who'da thunk it?
laugh.gif

Jennings could go on to be a top 10 player in the history of the game with Hill out the league in 3 months and he'll still be sayin "Naw, we did the right thing."
laugh.gif
smh.gif
Really?
eek.gif

How about you let him pay out his rookie contract first before you call him top 10 in the history. Seriously, people on NT make some blatant statements to getsome E-Fame.

Biggie62 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
laugh.gif

Jennings could go on to be a top 10 player in the history of the game with Hill out the league in 3 months and he'll still be sayin "Naw, we did the right thing."
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Really?
eek.gif

How about you let him pay out his rookie contract first before you call him top 10 in the history. Seriously, people on NT make some blatant statements to get some E-Fame.

He definitely said that sarcastically

Biggie62 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Really?
eek.gif

How about you let him pay out his rookie contract first before you call him top 10 in the history. Seriously, people on NT make some blatant statements to get some E-Fame.

smh.gif

Reading comprehension is at an all time Low on NT.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif
Really?
eek.gif

Fail.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Biggie62 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif
Really?
eek.gif

smh.gif

Reading comprehension is at an all time Low on NT.

It's like these dudes elementary school teachers were Mike or something

I know it's MAD early, but dude looking prophetic right now. We'll see how the rest of the season goes...

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

It's like these dudes elementary school teachers were Mike or something
Mike stupid $*$ ain't smarter than an elementary student now.

Now way he could teach one.

Dumb %#!%*!!+@%@$

Keep up the good work, Brandon. You're the starter on my fantasy team too. Respect.

Good to see BJ doing his thing.

This could be an out for high school players who don't give a %%*# about school... Make some money, and get ready for the NBA.. Just as long as they have asupport group overseas, they might be alright...

...and whenever someone in S&T has a reading failure, ya'll start going in on Mike
laugh.gif
... Someone else is the one who is $!+% up, but Mike's name always come up
roll.gif
laugh.gif

vacarro1.jpg

what can you say?
the only thing BJ complained about was not getting paid on time in Europe, never complained about being a 6th mAIn, minutes, never complained about beinglimited in taking shots on offense. he knew what he was there for - to prep himself for the draft. When you have grown men like Primoz Brezec, Andre Hutson
laugh.gif
setting screens on you in practice --- players from the US who are seasoned vets out there, some who have already had experience in the league at somepoint, who are past the rudimentary aspects of college basketball, I don't think you have any choice but be humbled and get better. Being around matureprofessional adults forces you to mature. As far as his defense, saw one of those Argentinian national team guards with Olympic experience, upset at the peskydefense BJ stuck on him in league play, so his defensive intensity was definitely up there.

[table][tr][td]
ian_thomsen.jpg

Ian Thomsen>INSIDE THE NBA

[table][tr][td] [h1]Bucks' Jennings grows up fast[/h1] [/td] [td]
Story Highlights
[h2] Brandon Jennings leads the Bucks in scoring and assists over first three games[/h2] [h2] Jennings chose to play in Rome for a year after high school instead of in college[/h2] [h2] Scott Skiles impressed by Jennings' willingness to remain in Europe for full season[/h2]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
While passing through Times Square on the eve of the draft last June I ran into agent Bill Duffy, who was finishing a call with Scott Skiles. Duffy was selling the Bucks coach on Brandon Jennings, the 19-year-old point guard whose draft stock was sliding after he played last season in Italy.

"We'd like to keep him in the Top 10," Duffy told me after he hung up with Skiles. "The kid tried something new by going to Europe, and we'd like to see it work out for him."

It was because Skiles and Bucks GM John Hammond recognized potential in the European experiment that they've landed a steal with the No. 10 pick in the draft. Jennings has been Milwaukee's leading scorer and playmaker in their first three games (averaging 22.0 points and 5.3 assists) while making half of his 14 attempts from the three-point line, even though shooting was supposed to rank among his grave weaknesses. "He's a better shooter thanAllen Iverson -- I'm talking about the young A.I.," said a rival league scout who rates the 6-foot-1 Jennings as speedy as Iverson. "He has a nice stroke and he can shoot it behind the pick and roll."

"I was a way better player [after the year abroad] because I saw different things and I've been through different situations," said Jennings, now 20. "Even though I wasn't playing, a lot of people didn't see what I did behind the scenes. I had a trainer every day who was working on my shooting. We were doing pick-and-roll situations, things that I would see in the NBA. So when it was time for the [draft] workouts everything just came so easy to me.''

Though Jennings insists he played well in those workouts, he was viewed by many in the league as a poor shooter and a high-turnover point guard who lacked discipline. That view was underscored by his measly averages of 17.8 minutes and 6.3 points while converting 38.1 percent from the field in 43 games in the Euroleague and Italian league last season for Lottomatica Rome, where Jennings spent his first year after high school instead of playing a season in college.

Skiles held a different view. "This is a kid that any moment -- his mother was over there with him, and they could have just said, 'Hey, we're homesick and we're going home,'" said Skiles. "And the fact that he stuck it out, it meant something."

Skiles spent the final year of his career playing in Europe -- he finished the 1996-97 as player-coach of the club PAOK in Thessalonika, Greece -- which gave him insight on Jennings. "That he could fight his way through something that maybe a lot of people couldn't," said Skiles. "Because I'll tell you, I was 32 when I went over there, and hardly a week went by when I didn't think of coming home. I wouldn't have done it; I had a contract, but it can be a difficult environment, and for a kid 19 years old in his first year out of high school to go through that, I think that's something you can admire."

The Bucks gained faith in Jennings based on his responses to a midseason coaching change at Rome and the erratic playing time he earned.

"It's not uncommon for a well-known American player to go over there and all of a sudden the guy is only playing 17 minutes,"said Skiles, who sought advice on Jennings from his Rome teammate Andre Hutson, who, like Skiles, attended Michigan State and was a forward at Lottomatica last season. "I had a couple of long conversations with Andre and he just raved about Brandon, that when it got tough his default mechanism was to get in the gym and work on his game -- and not to get pouty and sulky. For a young player coming into the league, he's going to take some lumps early on and then what do they do? If the default mechanisms are to blame (others) and to make excuses, maybe they stunt their own growth. But if it's, 'Hey, I'm showing up an hour and a half early tomorrow for practice because my shot's not going in, I need to get up 400 jump shots?' Now you've really got something to work with.

"For lack of a better way of phrasing it, he had to eat some humble pie over there. He didn't go there and light it on fire. He goes over there and the first coach was really, really on him all the time; they practice twice a day all year round. So he was tested in an adult environment. I think that's really helped him."

All of this is meant to explain why the Bucks drafted him, and to demonstrate the subtle but important benefits from the year Jennings spent in Europe. It was an extended boot camp that forced him to accept he was no longer "The Man" who was a consensus national player of the year for averaging 32.7 points as a senior at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia. His fundamentals improved and he learned to view the court in a different way. "It's more team basketball over there," said Jennings.

But let's not get carried away. His impressive opening-week numbers are likely to shrink. Jennings weighs a skinny 169 pounds, and chasing his opponents through screens will wear him down. Now that Olympian shooting guardMichael Redd is sidelined for at least two weeks by a strained patella tendon, opposing defenses will focus their game plans on Jennings.

"I think I have a better opportunity than a lot of other people who got drafted before me, because I'm playing for a guy who played (point guard) in the NBA and had a great career," said Jennings of Skiles. "I want to be good right away, I want to come in here and make a big impact, I want to lead my team to the playoffs and things like that. But I know there's going to come times when things aren't going to come my way. That's the mental part, you know, to see how strong I am as a person."

That mentality may emerge as the primary blessing of his year away from home. Skiles will be interested to see how long Jennings draws from those foreign experiences, especially now that he's off to such a strong start in the NBA.

"Sometimes the challenge comes if the player has some sort of success, and as a coach you're happy for him and all that -- but you also know there's a lot more there and you want to get more out of him," said Skiles. "So it will be interesting to see with Brandon. Like all rookies he's going to struggle a little bit, but he's immensely talented. As a staff we say, 'What are we going to do if he gets off to a slow start?' And the other thing we say is, 'What are we going to do if he doesn't?'"

Will he make the rookie mistake of believing he's better than he really is? Or will Jennings ignore his fast start and continue to heed the guidance of his coaches? Based on Jennings' season in Italy, the latter path is more likely than the former.

1.gif

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom