The Bicycle Thread

T dot tingz
152C3310-6482-4E41-A4F9-12CDE5182EE6.jpeg

D7CF9074-08CC-423C-940B-15144DA30E0E.jpeg

Edit I always forget to turn the ride apps on but found I recorded just the ride out to that spot. Didn’t have it on for the way there, the way back, or home after.
6973BA25-0DC6-46B3-BDB4-5249D2F8F69E.png

Last edited:
How much can i expect to pay for a custom wheelset to be built? I don't mind doing it myself, but i i think i might need that wheel truer thingy.

How much can i expect to pay for a custom wheelset to be built? I don't mind doing it myself, but i i think i might need that wheel truer thingy.
Such a wide range of price depending on components. What are some minor details?

I havent built wheels, but I plan too if I do a SS/fixie build. These were the two books I was recommended.

Amazon product ASIN 0960723668

Such a wide range of price depending on components. What are some minor details?

I havent built wheels, but I plan too if I do a SS/fixie build. These were the two books I was recommended.

Amazon product ASIN 0960723668

My boy has a custom wheelset, dura ace hubs laced to h plus son wheels, but i haven't asked him how much he paid.

I was pretty much inspired by this video, gonna use the same wheel/hub combo.

My boy has a custom wheelset, dura ace hubs laced to h plus son wheels, but i haven't asked him how much he paid.

I was pretty much inspired by this video, gonna use the same wheel/hub combo.

I really like the H+Son. Definitely going to be using that rim in the future maybe for both my bikes. The Hydra for the gravel and Archtype for my older steel road. Great value too.

Edit: just did a quick budget friendly build on prowheelbuilder.com

$362.04 Total

H+Son Archetype w/Shimano 105 hubs in all black.

Not bad. But I chose the cheaper stuff. So it can get up there depending on the rim/hub combo.

Last edited:
I really like the H+Son. Definitely going to be using that rim in the future maybe for both my bikes. The Hydra for the gravel and Archtype for my older steel road. Great value too.

Edit: just did a quick budget friendly build on prowheelbuilder.com

$362.04 Total

H+Son Archetype w/Shimano 105 hubs in all black.

Not bad. But I chose the cheaper stuff. So it can get up there depending on the rim/hub combo.

Custom? $200-350... EACH. Truing stand? Do it, and learn to true a wheel yourself. Save a TON.

-foe

Just did the math real quick on the site to get an idea.

$258.24 for the build, and that's me providing the rims and hubs to them. So i'm gonna have to add about $225 for the hubs and $160 for the rims.

'bout $650....DAMN 0]

Just did the math real quick on the site to get an idea.

$258.24 for the build, and that's me providing the rims and hubs to them. So i'm gonna have to add about $225 for the hubs and $160 for the rims.

'bout $650....DAMN 0]
Yep just depends how deep you want to get into it haha. There are always better components.

man im so lazy to order parts for my build, i think i dont want to start the eventual snow ball of parts getting ordered lol

Been riding a Mercier Road bike for the past 8 years.
Im in the market for a new bike at the worst possible time. Every shop in the NYC area Seems to be dry in stock.
I’m looking to switch to a hybrid or commuter.

I been seeing frames being sized like 52cm , 54 , 56, etc. I was wondering does anyone have an idea of of a general height to frame size ranges?

I been seeing frames being sized like 52cm , 54 , 56, etc. I was wondering does anyone have an idea of of a general height to frame size ranges?
really depends on inseam, and even then bike height is less relevant than reach.

I technically fit a 56cm, i'm 5-11. Most 56cm have longer reach that what my upper torso is, so I usually have to go down in size 53-55. I think you have to figure out what your reach is, since that will determine comfort much more than height.

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 12.27.58 AM.png

I'm 188CM, so at the big end of X Large, and the small end of XX Large. But my bike is a 63cm. I thought it'd be way too big, but I have lanky arms and long legs, so it worked out well. Just depends on your body shape, but you can usually have a choice of two sizes that would work out alright for you IMO.

C4E7330E-91C7-4883-84F9-309F63265B02.jpeg
i

i have a question this looks to be aluminum but the frame is carbon

when putting in the bearing can i use regular grease or should i use the grease for fiber? (fiber grip)

It has an aluminum insert for the bearings so you want regular grease in there.

The fiber grip stuff is only for parts that should move - seatposts etc. You do get carbon safe anti-seize though that would be the right choice if the bearings were against carbon.

It has an aluminum insert for the bearings so you want regular grease in there.

The fiber grip stuff is only for parts that should move - seatposts etc. You do get carbon safe anti-seize though that would be the right choice if the bearings were against carbon.

Quick question, how about a Carbon Seat post going into an aluminum frame. Is it okay to use regular grease for the carbon seat post? I heard people using Carbon paste, etc. But would regular grease be okay too?

It's hard to say - some manufacturers say just to grease them (Calfee is one I remember) but some say not to.

I prefer carbon paste - it's greasy so will prevent the post and the frame from corroding together (the main purpose of putting anything on your seat post) and and it's grippy so means you can use less torque to hold it.

I bought a little thing a few years ago and I'm still using it - you just need a pea sized amount for a seat post.

My cousin gave me her $150 Mongoose bike
It's cool, but looking to get more serious

Any idea where to start?
I typically ride around my NJ city (5 min outside NYC) on streets
Will need brakes, 53cm frame, not sure I can do fixed gear -- would I best be suited for single speed?

Budget is wide open
Thanks in advance for the help

slighted slighted , do you think you'd be looking for something for casually cruising around the city (or lakes or parks or whatever is in the area), in a mostly upright position? Or do you think you'd want to be bent down more, riding for longer times, and faster than just casually cruising around?

Just things to think about as you search online or stop in a bike shop. :smile:

-foe

Back
Top Bottom