The Bicycle Thread

When it stretches beyond 0.5% - and that depends on mileage and cleanliness. A clean chain lasts a lot longer.

If you don't do too many miles and it's not slipping then it's probably okay. The problem with leaving it too long is that you have to then change the cassette at the same time (and if you go really long the front rings as well) - and that gets expensive. If you keep it clean and change the chain at 0.5 then you can get at least 3 chains to a cassette.

Anyone mess with ebikes? Any tips? Probably got to scoop one up in the near future as a daily commuter so I can chew through these hills without showing up to work needing a shower.
I have one and i loved it until the motor went out. Ancheer folding ebike. I can still use it as a regular bike. It goes about as fast as one of those scooters. I got it from Facebook marketplace for 250. Regular around 600. I may try to get it fixed, idk.

20191224_004105.jpg

20191224_004623.jpg

Any suggestions on a quality/decent road bike in that $300-$400 range?
State has some fixies for that price range but that’s a hard price to get a road bike with gears.

State has some fixies for that price range but that’s a hard price to get a road bike with gears.

Understood, if I were to look at a used road bike in that price range any other recommendations?

You’d get a decent used Trek/Specialized etc for $400-500.
Look on your local Craigslist and post it here and we’ll tell you.

Feeling crap today but had arranged to meet some guys - one guy I ride with and he invited 2 others. Thankfully we only did 30 miles but it was pretty lumpy - not my forte!

Both of the new guys were older but whippets - they kept disappearing up hills. Managed to crack one of them on the last steep hill though - he went off fast and I just did my thing and half way up he was walking and I got past him.
Nice to have it over with early in the day and I’m glad I did it.

im so confused on buying parts for this 2014 cannondale f29 frame

so the bottom bracket has to be specific to the bike? or can i purchase any bottom bracket?
i believe they are press fit as i dont see threads

and the cranks are universal?
or do i need a specific bottom bracket to match with a specific crank set?

im so confused on buying parts for this 2014 cannondale f29 frame

so the bottom bracket has to be specific to the bike? or can i purchase any bottom bracket?
i believe they are press fit as i dont see threads

and the cranks are universal?
or do i need a specific bottom bracket to match with a specific crank set?
It's awful. I think there is a specification for how the bottom bracket fits the frame and then another one for how the cranks fit the bottom bracket.

For example, on mine I got a Shimano that is 68 mm to fit the frame and then an octalink V1 8-spline 109.5 mm spindle to fit Shimano double cranks.

Yeah, the BB shell defines what sort of bottom bracket you need - the frame is built to accommodate that type.

So, you need a BB to fit the frame - but also to match your cranks - mainly the bore of the hole in the bearings that the axle has to fit through.

That bike uses BB30 press fit bearings - you just push the bearings straight into the shell.

The 30 means that the axle needs to be 30mm to fit - but you can get adaptor shims to go smaller (eg Shimano at 24mm).

Or do what I did to my Cannondale and knock out the bearings and replace them with a thread together solution - you get different ones to suit the chainset you want to use.

I used an Enduro one of those which has been good - other than the crappy Cannondale tolerances which meant I could press it in by hand. Because it screws together it’s stayed tight though.

Yeah, the BB shell defines what sort of bottom bracket you need - the frame is built to accommodate that type.

So, you need a BB to fit the frame - but also to match your cranks - mainly the bore of the hole in the bearings that the axle has to fit through.

That bike uses BB30 press fit bearings - you just push the bearings straight into the shell.

The 30 means that the axle needs to be 30mm to fit - but you can get adaptor shims to go smaller (eg Shimano at 24mm).

Or do what I did to my Cannondale and knock out the bearings and replace them with a thread together solution - you get different ones to suit the chainset you want to use.

I used an Enduro one of those which has been good - other than the crappy Cannondale tolerances which meant I could press it in by hand. Because it screws together it’s stayed tight though.
so can i order the correct bb30

then if i find cranks that fit a bb30

or do i need to find cranks that fit the specific bb30 kit i buy?

Back
Top Bottom