The Best Thing I Ever Ate Vol. Burgers

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by NYCBaller34

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I never understood paying for a Kobe Beef burger...it's a waste

How so? Taste pretty good...and you can definitely tell the difference in the quality of meat...
cause it's equivalent to mixing Remy XO with coke.

like dirty said, it's a waste.
Restaurants nowadays want to make stuff that stands out.  A fancied up cheeseburger does that.  Same reason why you see more places using foie grais, truffles, and caviar.  I've been wanting to try a kobe beef burger.

How so? Taste pretty good...and you can definitely tell the difference in the quality of meat...

Restaurants nowadays want to make stuff that stands out.  A fancied up cheeseburger does that.  Same reason why you see more places using foie grais, truffles, and caviar.  I've been wanting to try a kobe beef burger.

I thought the special thing about Kobe was the marbling of the fat, which the grinding process obviously destroys. Paying extra for a kobe burger would then be pointless.

I thought the special thing about Kobe was the marbling of the fat, which the grinding process obviously destroys. Paying extra for a kobe burger would then be pointless.

5 Guys Burgers.

Grilled cheese sandwich
+ a patty (or two)
+ bacon
+ your other ingredients

equals this:
5guysgrilled.jpg

5 Guys Burgers.

Grilled cheese sandwich
+ a patty (or two)
+ bacon
+ your other ingredients

equals this:
5guysgrilled.jpg

Originally Posted by shogun

Kobe beef burger is a waste because the patty is cooked at too high a temperature which will burn off the marbled fat.. That's why when you order a kobe steak, you have to get it medium rare at least to taste the marbled fat

Kobe beef burger is a waste because the patty is cooked at too high a temperature which will burn off the marbled fat.. That's why when you order a kobe steak, you have to get it medium rare at least to taste the marbled fat

i tried five guys on friday here in seattle for the first time. ordered a double bacon burger (calories was like 1200). them mofo's forgot to put the bacon in my burger and i was left with a stale bun and 2 beef patties. prolly was a blessing in disguise since i'm tryna eat healthy
laugh.gif

the fries were pretty good but a large cup of fries is like 1700 calories.
sick.gif
. 1700 + 1200 thats 2900. won't be eatin there in a while.. bunch of beached whales in the joint.

i tried five guys on friday here in seattle for the first time. ordered a double bacon burger (calories was like 1200). them mofo's forgot to put the bacon in my burger and i was left with a stale bun and 2 beef patties. prolly was a blessing in disguise since i'm tryna eat healthy
laugh.gif

the fries were pretty good but a large cup of fries is like 1700 calories.
sick.gif
. 1700 + 1200 thats 2900. won't be eatin there in a while.. bunch of beached whales in the joint.

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

exactly

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

exactly

Originally Posted by syxth element

Thanks for the lesson NT...maybe I should have some Kobe steak then...never had that which is probably why I didn't see the point of what Dirty was saying...

I am too addicted to grilled skirt steak but I will try a kobe steak soon...

I do have 1 question...I am not with the whole medium rare thing... I like my steak very well done...will the kobe steak lose its flavor b/c of this?

Thanks for the lesson NT...maybe I should have some Kobe steak then...never had that which is probably why I didn't see the point of what Dirty was saying...

I am too addicted to grilled skirt steak but I will try a kobe steak soon...

I do have 1 question...I am not with the whole medium rare thing... I like my steak very well done...will the kobe steak lose its flavor b/c of this?

I know the kobe beef has a higher fat content.  My point was that restaurants sometimes want to make luxurious versions of stuff and they can charge more for a burger.  Kobe beef sounds more appealing to customers than maybe a sirloin burger.  They want to try something different.  I don't think most care that it's a waste of some premium steak.

I know the kobe beef has a higher fat content.  My point was that restaurants sometimes want to make luxurious versions of stuff and they can charge more for a burger.  Kobe beef sounds more appealing to customers than maybe a sirloin burger.  They want to try something different.  I don't think most care that it's a waste of some premium steak.

that's the thing..
it's not even a premium steak...

here.. Anthony Bourdain explains it well.

Enterprising restauranteurs are now offering the "Kobe Beef Burger", enticingly priced at near or above $100 a pop. And if there's a better way to prove one's total ignorance of all three words - Kobe, beef, and burger - this, my friends, is it. It's the trifecta of !+#!@++. The Kobe experience is principally about the marbling, the even distribution of fat through lean. A hamburger is a bunch of lean beef thrown into a grinder with varying degrees of fat. If you are foolish enough to order a Kobe burger, you are entirely missing the point.

Firstly, the fat will melt right out of the thing while cooking.

Secondly, you are asking the chef to destroy the very textural notes for which Kobe is valued by smarter people.

Thirdly, for an eight ounce Kobe burger, you are paying for the chef to feed you all the outer fat and scrap bits he trimmed off the outside of his "real" Kobe so he can afford to serve properly trimmed steaks to wiser patrons who know what the hell they're doing.

And fourthly, you're paying a hundred bucks for a freakin' hamburger! Get over yourself! You've already established you're too drunk and stupid to enjoy it in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom