The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darnell Mayberry on Ibaka’s 3-point shooting: “Someone, whether it’s Serge or the coaching staff, should be embarrassed that Steven Adams, in his second season, has more of a post game than Ibaka, who is in Year 6 and sees himself as an All-Star. Can’t score with your back to the basket? Fine. Initiate offense from inside. Face up and shoot the short jumper. Pump fake, use one or two dribbles to get to the basket and finish or get fouled and go to the free throw line. Command a double team and find the open man. And for God’s sake, rebound. Get second chances for your team and putback opportunities for yourself. All of that falls under the definition of a low-post game and none of it requires Serge to have his back to the basket. But it’s as if the coaching staff and Serge himself have given up on the mere idea of him doing those things. Shame, too. Because longterm, those are the things that will help this Thunder team tons more than Ibaka camping out at the arc waiting to let another 3-ball fly.”

Don't agree at all. Force feeding Ibaka inside instead of getting Westbrook/KD touches is not going to help the team TONS more. Yeah, Ibaka gets exposed when the team isn't fully healthy. Ibaka pulling PFs out of the paint is ridiculously valuable. It makes that stagnant OKC offense work a little bit easier.

There's this old school mentality that every big should have a post game. I'd agree if Ibaka was the 2nd option or even the 3rd option on a good team. He'd definitely have to develop some sort of isolation game. The problem is that he's the 3rd/4th option on a team with 2 MVP candidates that need more touches than any 1-2 combo in the league. Spotting up Westbrook and KD and isolating Ibaka is irresponsible. He's also shown that he's just not that great at it.

Having the ability to get paints on the block will help any team win games

When you have the post presence it puts alot pressure on the defense , it opens 3 point shooting and cuts

Don't agree at all. Force feeding Ibaka inside instead of getting Westbrook/KD touches is not going to help the team TONS more. Yeah, Ibaka gets exposed when the team isn't fully healthy. Ibaka pulling PFs out of the paint is ridiculously valuable. It makes that stagnant OKC offense work a little bit easier.

There's this old school mentality that every big should have a post game. I'd agree if Ibaka was the 2nd option or even the 3rd option on a good team. He'd definitely have to develop some sort of isolation game. The problem is that he's the 3rd/4th option on a team with 2 MVP candidates that need more touches than any 1-2 combo in the league. Spotting up Westbrook and KD and isolating Ibaka is irresponsible. He's also shown that he's just not that great at it.

I'm just going deal with ibaka.. But I think you are misconstruing what is being said as if he is asking for increased usage for ibaka

All that is being said, is that maybe the manner in which he is being used should be changed slightly.. Or have his role expended.. Like instead of settling for 3s or jumpers, use a pump fake.. Crash the boards on the drives that will suck in the defense onto westbrook or durant

Let him actually dive off of pick n rolls more than just setting up for jumpers.. Or as was mentioned, use a pump fake and attack the rim

Or hell, maybe learn a jump hook.. Or considering the athleticism of those 2 mvp candidates you mentioned, think of all the things that could be done with passing out of the post

Don't agree at all. Force feeding Ibaka inside instead of getting Westbrook/KD touches is not going to help the team TONS more.

There's this old school mentality that every big should have a post game. .
There's also this new school mentality that every PF should be a Stretch guy.

It's nice to have a stretch, but Ibaka think's he's a SF lately.

Get your *** back in that paint Ibaka.

Increasing your skillset is ALWAYS  a good thing. Being able to score near the basket doesn't mean he loses his shooting ability all of a sudden

I'm just going deal with ibaka.. But I think you are misconstruing what is being said as if he is asking for increased usage for ibaka

All that is being said, is that maybe the manner in which he is being used should be changed slightly.. Or have his role expended.. Like instead of settling for 3s or jumpers, use a pump fake.. Crash the boards on the drives that will suck in the defense onto westbrook or durant

Let him actually dive off of pick n rolls more than just setting up for jumpers.. Or as was mentioned, use a pump fake and attack the rim

Or hell, maybe learn a jump hook.. Or considering the athleticism of those 2 mvp candidates you mentioned, think of all the things that could be done with passing out of the post

Meh, it's one thing to say Ibaka should pumpfake and drive more. Or to dive off of PNRs more. Crash the boards more. I completely agree with those things. It's another to ask him to initiate the offense from the post. To face up and isolate. To command a double team. That takes a lot more. That sort of stuff actively takes Durant and Westbrook out of the game. No one is going to double Ibaka and leave KD/Westbrook free.

I agree more with the way you're framing the argument than the way Mayberry did. I think there's huge value in Ibaka being a 38% 3PT shooter. All that added space for RW, Reggie and KD to attack is really important to the offense. Saying that a post up game would help TONS more is a little out-dated IMO. I've seen low-usage guys try to flex and add a post up game - it's not pretty.

The thing is every recent championship team has had the ability to get points on the block

The Thunder dont have that right now

If Ibaka want's to play SF, we need to make that Perk/Jackson for Monroe/Jennings dream with Detroit come true and get us a real Post Threat.  Presence 

Last edited:
The thing is every recent championship team has had the ability to get points on the block

Elite post up guys though. Ibaka could never turn into that. With all the paint points KD/RW get, you don't really need a low post anchor like that. A lot of the offensive problems in the playoffs could be solved by not playing Perkins/Sefolosha/offensive zeroes big minutes in the playoffs (something that Scotty has gotten better at) and a better offensive system.

Elite post up guys though. Ibaka could never turn into that. With all the paint points KD/RW get, you don't really need a low post anchor like that. A lot of the offensive problems in the playoffs could be solved by not playing Perkins/Sefolosha/offensive zeroes big minutes in the playoffs (something that Scotty has gotten better at) and a better offensive system.
And fouls they (Durant/Westbrook) draw.

I think Ibaka could be a good post up guy

The problem with the way KD and RW get paint points they mostly come from drives

When they are attacking from above the free throw area, the defense can see the ball and their man, its simpler to play team defense

When the ball is on the block, you really can't see the ball and your man, it opens backdoor cuts and 3 point shooting

I think you should be able get post points and stretch big points

And to answer your Heat question it was Lebron

Last edited:

No one is telling Ibaka to clog up the paint. But he can switch it up. He doesn't have to line up for jumpers all day. He can post up and do something with the ball. He doesn't have it in his game but he should try to incorporate it into his game as the article is saying.

Honestly if they are going to do that they might as well put PJ3 in their as well. He needs to be developed. Dude is raw.

OKC drafts real good players.

The day is finally here. Wizards/Bulls. I pray that Bulls team from last night shows up. They can score now. No more excuses.

What consistent low post scorer did the 2011-2013 Heat have?
[table][tr][td]Season[/td][td]To rim[/td][td]PPP[/td][td]Rank[/td][/tr][tr][td]2010-11[/td][td]13.7%[/td][td]1.043[/td][td]4[/td][/tr][tr][td]2011-12[/td][td]14.9%[/td][td]0.959[/td][td]5[/td][/tr][tr][td]2012-13[/td][td]15.0%[/td][td]0.972[/td][td]4[/td][/tr][tr][td]2013-14[/td][td]29.6%[/td][td]1.185[/td][td]1
 [/td][/tr][/table]

LeBrons post numbers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...e-scout-stats-efficiency-mvp-nba-championship

Who would have thunk 27 year old Bynum wouldn't be doing anything in the league, maybe he'll get going again next year

He was doing well in LA tho, didn't think his body would fail him this early. After Odom fell off the surface of the planet, was looking to him to continue to be great. Least' Pau flourishin' I guess

He was doing well in LA tho, didn't think his body would fail him this early. After Odom fell off the surface of the planet, was looking to him to continue to be great. Least' Pau flourishin' I guess

He was, but correcting Running Gait isnt an easy or quick fix by any means (if they were even addressing it at all). I suspect significant damage had already been done and his height/weight along with addressing walking and running gait did not help at all. Microfracture surgery is such hit or miss.

[table][TR]
[TD]Season[/TD]
[TD]To rim[/TD]
[TD]PPP[/TD]
[TD]Rank[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2010-11[/TD]
[TD]13.7%[/TD]
[TD]1.043[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2011-12[/TD]
[TD]14.9%[/TD]
[TD]0.959[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2012-13[/TD]
[TD]15.0%[/TD]
[TD]0.972[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2013-14[/TD]
[TD]29.6%[/TD]
[TD]1.185[/TD]
[TD]1

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/table]

LeBrons post numbers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...e-scout-stats-efficiency-mvp-nba-championship

Well, there you go then. I stand corrected. Regardless, I think the current Thunder team, when fully healthy, can get enough paint points to contend for the title without anyone on the team being a huge post threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom