THAT AINT NO DAMN PUPPY!!!

lmao 
roll.gif

CLASSIC :lol:

TV just ain't the same :smh: I barely watch the ******** that comes on now but I catch Martin on MTV2 whenever possible.

Yet another reason why it was great being an 80's baby-- you grew up watching Martin and TFPofBA (that is if you hail from an "urban" community/background)... :lol: :lol:

Am I the only one who has wondered why shows like Martin and TFPOBA have become extinct? In other words, why it has become damn near impossible for networks to create/produce modern comedies that would rival and/or surpass the mid 90s comedy sitcoms like Martin and TFPOBA?

I suppose a part of it has to do with culture and demographics; seems like catering to black/urban viewers/audiences isn't a priority anymore. :\

Anyway, this is undoubtedly one of my favorite scenes...

Btw, PAM > Gina... :tongue:

Last edited:
Yet another reason why it was great being an 80's baby-- you grew up watching Martin and TFPofBA (that is if you hail from an "urban" community/background)... :lol: :lol:

Am I the only one who has wondered why shows like Martin and TFPOBA have become extinct? In other words, why it has become damn near impossible for networks to create/produce modern comedies that would rival and/or surpass the mid 90s comedy sitcoms like Martin and TFPOBA?

I suppose a part of it has to do with culture and demographics; seems like catering to black/urban viewers isn't worth it anymore. :\

I remember Martin well and I was a 90s baby.

Shanaynay > Gina > Pam

the new Jack City mock skit when he was interrogating for his walkman :rofl: :rofl:

Jerome>>>>

Elroy the Mechanic :rofl:

*GOOD GOOD GOOD*

such a genius show :lol: :smokin

Last edited:

I suppose a part of it has to do with culture and demographics; seems like catering to black/urban viewers isn't worth it anymore. :\

I remember Martin well and I was a 90s baby.

Shanaynay > Gina > Pam

Nah son you just caught the retros, I'm talmbout catching the OG newly released episodes...:tongue:...jk :lol:

CLASSIC :lol:
TV just ain't the same :smh: I barely watch the ******** that comes on now but I catch Martin on MTV2 whenever possible.

You're absolutely right...

TV is leaps and bounds better nowadays. All I needed to read was "MTV2" and know that you don't know what good tv is :lol:

You know what makes tv great nowadays, the fact that people that are stuck in the past that and afraid to move forward have channels dedicated to all these old shows.

Oh yeah, comedies on subscription channels (HBO, Showtime, etc)... and some on cable networks are great/classic.

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Eastbound and Down
Louie

You really believe this? Oh, the reason that Martin and Fresh Prince made it so big is because the story lines catered to a wider audience than the "urban" audience you described (... Cosby Show laid the foundation, same can be said of Family Matters). The family/comedy sitcoms across the board have been dying on networks and that has more to do with the fact that comedies on cable networks can push the envelope a little further than network sitcoms.

It's cheaper to make reality shows. And guys who can make happen(Tyler Perry, Ice Cube etc) make corny shows that females eat up

TV is leaps and bounds better nowadays. All I needed to read was "MTV2" and know that you don't know what good tv is

I'm pretty sure he meant watching Martin re-runs on MTV2

Last edited:
I watch MT2 JUST for Martin though :lol: MTV is worse than Fox News. And Louie sucks. Kenny Powers > though.

Fresh Prince definitely catered to a wider audience, no disagreement there; you're deluding yourself, however, if you don't think the "urban" audience was a primary target audience for a show like Martin. Comedy is comedy, but there is such a thing as "black" comedy, see Martin, where there exists very real codes which are discernable only to members of the target community/audience.

Would you say the "Original Kings of Comedy" was funny and great because its subject matter catered to a "wider audience"? You really think jokes about urban personalities like big-mamma, the neighborhood bootlegger, and that one crusty ratchet ol' ho-less pimp, just to name a few, are geared toward a "wider audience"? I mean, if you believe so, then so be it. Just understand that there are larger cultural forces at work here.

Anybody CAN watch a show like Martin or a special like the "Original Kings of Comedy," but only a few--a certain specific demographic-- can appreciate the cultural specific narratives and nuances that make these, appropriately, "black" comedies. I could be wrong though.

Ohh lastly, having more channels/options doesn't equate to "better" television. The avg. person consumes only handful of shows to begin with.

Last edited:
Every show today is a copy of the last. How many medical dramas can you have?? Geeez.... Creativity is dead

I suppose a part of it has to do with culture and demographics; seems like catering to black/urban viewers/audiences isn't a priority anymore. :\

Man, I'm whiter than printer paper, lived wayyyyyy out in the country, and still grew up watching TFPofBA :smokin

Taken from a post of mine in June
Martin was never funny. Terrible show. His movies were never funny either nor was his standup. He sucks, lord knows how he got famous.

Every show today is a copy of the last. How many medical dramas can you have?? Geeez.... Creativity is dead

You're watching the wrong shows...

Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Californication
Sons of Anarchy
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Eastbound and Down
30 Rock
Luther (BBC)
Archer
Homeland
Newsroom

Just off the top of my head, ommitted some great shows that are fading (The Office, Dexter), none that I mentioned are "medical dramas".

Ohh lastly, having more channels/options doesn't equate to "better" television. The avg. person consumes only handful of shows to begin with.

Never said that, just said more channels means they can dedicate channels solely for the purpose of running these old sitcoms night in and night out. Simply because there are people that stubbornly get stuck in the past, not allowing them to step forward. Fresh Prince is entertaining, so is Martin, but to use those two as an example like "they don't make them like this anymore" is laughable when you consider they weren't even the best sitcoms of their time.

TV though as a whole is better...

Back
Top Bottom