Taking A Semester Off?

I did it once and feel like doing it again. In fact, the reason I'm doing it again is to come back with less distractions. Work full time, pay off all bills (again), then go back with more time to focus. IDGAF how long it takes me to graduate. I'd rather take 6-7 yrs and graduate with 3.4 rather than 4-5 with a 2.9.

Only thing is I'm getting pressured from the folks but it is not their life to live.

well you did get classes and withdraw from them right? if you didnt then it will be even harder to get classes when you go back cause you get kicked out of the system

well you did get classes and withdraw from them right? if you didnt then it will be even harder to get classes when you go back cause you get kicked out of the system

it's not a big deal. I did it, took some summer classes, and graduated on time.
even if you graduate a semester or two late, it's still not a big deal. ignore the clowns who say otherwise.

even if you graduate a semester or two late, it's still not a big deal. ignore the clowns who say otherwise.

I can't imagine taking a semester off; I feel weird even going on winter break
laugh.gif
So hard to get back on the grind after a month off
30t6p3b.gif

I can't imagine taking a semester off; I feel weird even going on winter break
laugh.gif
So hard to get back on the grind after a month off
30t6p3b.gif

Took a FULL year off. I needed it. A LOT of @@$% was going down in my life. Now im back and feeling good about being in school again

Took a FULL year off. I needed it. A LOT of @@$% was going down in my life. Now im back and feeling good about being in school again

Half these guys have no idea what they are talking about.

If you can't focus and have external issues going on outside of school, there is nothing wrong with taking a break

I did it for similar reasons, and I'm back with no problem.

Just don't take a year off...it will turn into 5....etc.

Half these guys have no idea what they are talking about.

If you can't focus and have external issues going on outside of school, there is nothing wrong with taking a break

Just don't take a year off...it will turn into 5....etc.

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

^^^what he said

If you feel like you need to take time off, do it. I did it and its no biggie.

My friend's mom died last year on the 3 of Jan. and that semester she was depress and her head was somewhere else besides school. I told her to take the semester off but she didn't.  Her grades suffered because of it. Keep in mind, she is an honor student. She end up petitioning to dropping all her classes. She took the summer and fall off and now she is back in school with a right mind set.

Bottom line is if you feel you need time off, take it. 

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

^^^what he said

If you feel like you need to take time off, do it. I did it and its no biggie.

My friend's mom died last year on the 3 of Jan. and that semester she was depress and her head was somewhere else besides school. I told her to take the semester off but she didn't.  Her grades suffered because of it. Keep in mind, she is an honor student. She end up petitioning to dropping all her classes. She took the summer and fall off and now she is back in school with a right mind set.

Bottom line is if you feel you need time off, take it. 

Originally Posted by CampbellSoup

THIS. I cant stress this enough!
Your grades will suffer BIG TIME if you have some issues outside of the class room. Whether it be family, friends, work, girlfriend ANYTHING of that nature that is significant to you

My Freshman year. My grades started slipping towards the end of my 1st semester and got placed on Academic Probation. Continued on my downfall my 2nd semester. Got suspended for a year. All because all throughout school. id be thinkin about my problems outside of school. I wouldnt care if i missed hw or half assed a essay. All i cared about was my problems.  

Throughout that yr out of school i went through even more *#%%. Worst point in my life. I overcame alot of those obstacles and now im back in school and i feel good about it and passed ALL my classes last semester and i plan on keeping it that way from here on out til i get a bachelors.

Seriously, if you have issues in "real life" . Take a break from school man. And if you know whats good for you. Then you'll go back. I did.

Your grades will suffer BIG TIME if you have some issues outside of the class room. Whether it be family, friends, work, girlfriend ANYTHING of that nature that is significant to you

My Freshman year. My grades started slipping towards the end of my 1st semester and got placed on Academic Probation. Continued on my downfall my 2nd semester. Got suspended for a year. All because all throughout school. id be thinkin about my problems outside of school. I wouldnt care if i missed hw or half assed a essay. All i cared about was my problems.  

Throughout that yr out of school i went through even more *#%%. Worst point in my life. I overcame alot of those obstacles and now im back in school and i feel good about it and passed ALL my classes last semester and i plan on keeping it that way from here on out til i get a bachelors.

Seriously, if you have issues in "real life" . Take a break from school man. And if you know whats good for you. Then you'll go back. I did.

Eh don't do it unless there aren't any decent classes left. If your not feeling it set up a plan for the next semester to take 1 extra class or two to make up for it.

Eh don't do it unless there aren't any decent classes left. If your not feeling it set up a plan for the next semester to take 1 extra class or two to make up for it.

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember21

Thanks man I'm 20 have about 2 years left, it feels like my life is over and if I take the term off I'll be old when I graduate

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember21

Thanks man I'm 20 have about 2 years left, it feels like my life is over and if I take the term off I'll be old when I graduate

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by Ginzo

Not something I'd ever do.
Huge waste of time if you ask me.
Exactly, I have 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, and 4-5 years of residency...

I want to graduate when I'm at least 30, taking time off won't help.
I feel your pain..but I'm gonna be in the UK for law school and thats just three years unlike America where its 7 for a law degree.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by Ginzo

Not something I'd ever do.
Huge waste of time if you ask me.
Exactly, I have 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, and 4-5 years of residency...

I want to graduate when I'm at least 30, taking time off won't help.
I feel your pain..but I'm gonna be in the UK for law school and thats just three years unlike America where its 7 for a law degree.

OP, do what you gotta do to get yo' mind right.

I took the entire 09 (fall)-10(spring) academic year off to put things into perspective for me.

Originally, the goal was to just work and stack paper for when I returned back to my home University, but with the economy the way it was, back then, I actually ended up enrolling at my local CC and taking courses which I eventually transferred back to my home University.

Best part is, because the fees at CC aren't outrageous like that in many public/private Universities, my Pell Grant was able to cover the entire cost of my education (full time) for both Fall and Spring semesters, AND grant me a very nice refund check each semester (~$800.)

I was able to eventually get a job working as a tutor within the CC so that was another plus. Also, made some very great contacts that I will be following up on in the coming years when I'm done at my home University.

All in all, the time that I took away from my reg. University turned out to be one of my best years in academia and one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm presently back at my home University grinding it out with a better idea and vision of what I am doing, and what I am working towards.

Most of those people who say it's a horrible idea don't know anything. It's funny because I was of that opinion before I took the year off...
laugh.gif
. At the end of the day, do what's is best for you, and if that includes time away from academia, do it.

OP, do what you gotta do to get yo' mind right.

I took the entire 09 (fall)-10(spring) academic year off to put things into perspective for me.

Originally, the goal was to just work and stack paper for when I returned back to my home University, but with the economy the way it was, back then, I actually ended up enrolling at my local CC and taking courses which I eventually transferred back to my home University.

Best part is, because the fees at CC aren't outrageous like that in many public/private Universities, my Pell Grant was able to cover the entire cost of my education (full time) for both Fall and Spring semesters, AND grant me a very nice refund check each semester (~$800.)

I was able to eventually get a job working as a tutor within the CC so that was another plus. Also, made some very great contacts that I will be following up on in the coming years when I'm done at my home University.

All in all, the time that I took away from my reg. University turned out to be one of my best years in academia and one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm presently back at my home University grinding it out with a better idea and vision of what I am doing, and what I am working towards.

Most of those people who say it's a horrible idea don't know anything. It's funny because I was of that opinion before I took the year off...
laugh.gif
. At the end of the day, do what's is best for you, and if that includes time away from academia, do it.

Back
Top Bottom