Strategic questions for the basketball players of NT. vol. don't come at me bro

From what I gather you are facing the basket most of the time on offense. Try going to your spot without the ball. Once it is fed to you keep your back to him. If he stays tight and you can feel him on you just spin into the lane and go for a layup or pull up for a short jumper. Even a player without speed can spin on someone who is touching him. After that try the move again and instead of spinning just turn your head quickly in the same direction. He should take at least a step into the lane off of you anticipating a spin. Instead you just pivot so you are facing the goal and pull the shot. This may help you as it doesn't require much speed or dribbling ability.

After that he will go for head fakes, jabs, pump fakes, etc. Make the game easy for yourself.

Honestly I feel a big scoring game coming on when someone bodies me. Far easier to set that kind of defender up than someone with quickness who gives a little space.

Usually a player is just bodying you because it discourages your teammates from passing the ball to you. Most rec players have a tough time making a pass to a player with little space between him and the defender. I use this all the time at the gym in pickup games. Even though I hate to admit it age is starting to slow me down, but my teammates usually expect me to take the other teams biggest threat. My biggest strength is I'm 6'1" with a 6'7" wingspan. So I play great players close when they don't have the ball. It takes an excellent passer to get them the ball. Excellent passers are rare. Many time I hear my cover saying to his teammates: "Get me the ball." They always say the same thing back: "I can't." I know I'm doing my job when I hear this. Plus it helps me from getting abused.

Great tips here. I will hit the gym today and try all this out.

About getting the ball in the first place, though, it's really hard to rely on picks because people just don't set good picks. Most of the time I'm trying to literally run my guy into a flimsy pick rather than being able to rely on someone setting a solid pick.

Thanks for all the tips though.
pimp.gif

Great tips here. I will hit the gym today and try all this out.

About getting the ball in the first place, though, it's really hard to rely on picks because people just don't set good picks. Most of the time I'm trying to literally run my guy into a flimsy pick rather than being able to rely on someone setting a solid pick.

Thanks for all the tips though.
pimp.gif

Step backs, shot fakes, jab step, catching the ball closer to the hoop, backing down your man. Work on all that stuff.

Step backs, shot fakes, jab step, catching the ball closer to the hoop, backing down your man. Work on all that stuff.

Without the ball, I would just keep moving and wait for a teammate set a screen. If I happened to get the ball one-on-one, I would hit him with a jab step or create space. An over aggressive player also cheats when playing one-on-one, so if you can create your own shot via shot fake or jab step, they'll go for it every time.

Playing at the park you just have to take the contact, when I played in high school, college, intramural, an over aggressive defender would always be called.

Without the ball, I would just keep moving and wait for a teammate set a screen. If I happened to get the ball one-on-one, I would hit him with a jab step or create space. An over aggressive player also cheats when playing one-on-one, so if you can create your own shot via shot fake or jab step, they'll go for it every time.

Playing at the park you just have to take the contact, when I played in high school, college, intramural, an over aggressive defender would always be called.

To get open on the wing, step into his chest, put your foot between his feet, hold that position and then pop out once your teammate throws the pass. It also helps to pop out towards the passer and not on a straight line so your defender can't try to shoot the gap.

Having your teammates set screens and backcuts could also help, the problem is those rely heavily on timing. Unless your playing with people who have a good sense of how to play, it can be difficult to get the timing and spacing right, especially in an intramural setting.

To get open on the wing, step into his chest, put your foot between his feet, hold that position and then pop out once your teammate throws the pass. It also helps to pop out towards the passer and not on a straight line so your defender can't try to shoot the gap.

Having your teammates set screens and backcuts could also help, the problem is those rely heavily on timing. Unless your playing with people who have a good sense of how to play, it can be difficult to get the timing and spacing right, especially in an intramural setting.

Take him to the block, or just outside of the post, & hit a turnaround/hook on him. Once you hit a few, he'll be expecting it, so you can proceed to the up & unders. Very effective once it's perfected.

Or, you can do what kobe does sometimes, and get to your spot on the elbow & when they swing it you, step back as you receive the pass & pull it.

Or, you can do what melo does sometimes, and get to your spot on the elbow & when they swing it to you, as soon you receive the pass, jab step one way (I'm talking like a hard quick jab that melo does) take one dribble in the other direction & pull up.

Take him to the block, or just outside of the post, & hit a turnaround/hook on him. Once you hit a few, he'll be expecting it, so you can proceed to the up & unders. Very effective once it's perfected.

Or, you can do what kobe does sometimes, and get to your spot on the elbow & when they swing it you, step back as you receive the pass & pull it.

Or, you can do what melo does sometimes, and get to your spot on the elbow & when they swing it to you, as soon you receive the pass, jab step one way (I'm talking like a hard quick jab that melo does) take one dribble in the other direction & pull up.

Already been said, but don't stop moving. Knowing how to move without the ball is crucial.

Already been said, but don't stop moving. Knowing how to move without the ball is crucial.

embedding fail

Here are some universal tips to help you move without the ball and score more points:
  1. Set your man up before using the screen. In other words, before rubbing off a screen, take a step away from the screen and fake like you're going the other direction. Then you can rub off the screen. This will get your defender off balance and give you more space.
  2. Run off screens shoulder to shoulder. There should be no space between you and the person setting the screen. This makes it difficult for the defense to "slip" through and take away your shot.
  3. Read the defense! One of the best skills you can learn as a player is how to read the defense. If your defender cheats over the screen, then you can flare the other direction so the defender gets stuck behind the screen. If the defender denies you the ball and overplays the passing lane, then back door them cutting hard to the basket. These are just a few examples. Learn the different ways you can read the defense. This will make you a better player!
  4. When cutting, vary your speed. In other words, you might want to take a few steps one direction at half speed, then quickly change direction sprinting off a screen. This keeps the defense guessing and off balance.
  5. Know where your teammates are at. This comes with experience and game awareness. The better you know your teammates and your offense, the easier it will be for you to find them and use their screens.
  6. Never stand still for more than two seconds. If you're a great shooter, keep moving. Don't stand in one spot for more than two seconds.

embedding fail

Here are some universal tips to help you move without the ball and score more points:
  1. Set your man up before using the screen. In other words, before rubbing off a screen, take a step away from the screen and fake like you're going the other direction. Then you can rub off the screen. This will get your defender off balance and give you more space.
  2. Run off screens shoulder to shoulder. There should be no space between you and the person setting the screen. This makes it difficult for the defense to "slip" through and take away your shot.
  3. Read the defense! One of the best skills you can learn as a player is how to read the defense. If your defender cheats over the screen, then you can flare the other direction so the defender gets stuck behind the screen. If the defender denies you the ball and overplays the passing lane, then back door them cutting hard to the basket. These are just a few examples. Learn the different ways you can read the defense. This will make you a better player!
  4. When cutting, vary your speed. In other words, you might want to take a few steps one direction at half speed, then quickly change direction sprinting off a screen. This keeps the defense guessing and off balance.
  5. Know where your teammates are at. This comes with experience and game awareness. The better you know your teammates and your offense, the easier it will be for you to find them and use their screens.
  6. Never stand still for more than two seconds. If you're a great shooter, keep moving. Don't stand in one spot for more than two seconds.

Back
Top Bottom