Stephen Hawking on Religion: "Science Will Win"

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Only problem is those people with those theories that science and religion are one in the same.

I agree tho.
They are.. in the sense that Portuguese and English are both languages. Sure, they go about communicating with two different sets of rules and conventions, but they both attempt to undertake the same task. How don't people see this? Just as the scientific method is now validated for it's falsifiability, religion used to be viewed in the same light. We know now that a lot of religious practices over the years have been off base and so they got repealed. The same happens with science. While I believe science has been more reliable in my lifetime, there's no way to assume there won't be a discovery in X amount of years that re-validates some archaic religious practice or one that invalidates some current scientific one. It happens.. it WILL happen.. then it'll un-happen, and happen again. That's just the nature of discovery - scientific, religious, or otherwise... don't be so smug.

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Because clearly he won
laugh.gif
grin.gif

My mom died from that same *!%% man.. ain't NOTHING funny about that disease. It's possibly the worst condition known to man. And yet, he's done more in his life and for the world than you ever will, and he can't even shake his own %%+% after he pees. One for Hawking. Zero for you.. Womp. 

pimp.gif
....got em

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Science and Religion are two sides of the same coin. Believing one will win out over the other is pointless. Science tells us how, Religion tells us why. Both together makes us complete.

No chief...one works most of the time. Neither has the answer to life's greatest mysteries tho. But one works.
I agree that neither has the answers, but I wouldn't say just one works.  I'd say the both work for some people, one for others, and probably neither for yet others.  To me religion (not spirituality) is fundamentally flawed in its refusal to change and science is fundamentally flawed in that it is always changing.  Putting all of your belief and trust in either one is a bad decision.

Only problem is those people with those theories that science and religion are one in the same.

I agree tho.

Those people are the ones that conform to a new form of their religion because theirs has been battered by logic and scientific endeavors.  The oneness of Religion and Science is mandatory to those who are too ashamed to believe the nonsense that their religion used to imply.

"Believe in God like the stars up in the sky.....Science can tell us how but it can’t tell us why"

-J. Cole
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Science and Religion are two sides of the same coin. Believing one will win out over the other is pointless. Science tells us how, Religion tells us why. Both together makes us complete.

No chief...one works most of the time. Neither has the answer to life's greatest mysteries tho. But one works.
I agree that neither has the answers, but I wouldn't say just one works.  I'd say the both work for some people, one for others, and probably neither for yet others.  To me religion (not spirituality) is fundamentally flawed in its refusal to change and science is fundamentally flawed in that it is always changing.  Putting all of your belief and trust in either one is a bad decision.
Ok I see science as nothing more than practicality. For eg. If I pray to my car to start, no matter how hard I pray it won't. That's what I meant by it "works". I don't look at science as religion/ or in a spiritual sense.

Originally Posted by 540JFan12

"Believe in God like the stars up in the sky.....Science can tell us how but it can’t tell us why"

-J. Cole
pimp.gif

Religion can't tell us why neither.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Ok I see science as nothing more than practicality. For eg. If I pray to my car to start, no matter how hard I pray it won't. That's what I meant by it "works". I don't look at science as religion/ or in a spiritual sense.
Ok, now I'm tracking like a VCR.

The only reason people view religion and science as rivals, is that science more or less continues to refute a lot of claims made in religious texts.

I agree tho.
They are.. in the sense that Portuguese and English are both languages. Sure, they go about communicating with two different sets of rules and conventions, but they both attempt to undertake the same task. How don't people see this? Just as the scientific method is now validated for it's falsifiability, religion used to be viewed in the same light. We know now that a lot of religious practices over the years have been off base and so they got repealed. The same happens with science. While I believe science has been more reliable in my lifetime, there's no way to assume there won't be a discovery in X amount of years that re-validates some archaic religious practice or one that invalidates some current scientific one. It happens.. it WILL happen.. then it'll un-happen, and happen again. That's just the nature of discovery - scientific, religious, or otherwise... don't be so smug.
Nah, I disagree but if this is me being smug I'm fine with it. There's plenty of ways/ideologies to live your life that also provide the "why you should do it and why it is happened/necessary", it's called philosophy, which isn't solely dependent on claiming a higher being told you to do so. That's the problem with religion, they take good ideas and form belief systems around them. You talk about off base religion practices being repealed but just looking at some of the titles on the first page of general it's pretty obvious they're not being repealed at a quicker pace and on a grander scale due to human irrationality. So you can save the whole, it's all the same, under the same umbrella, two sides of a coin talk. Just because science and religion may be wrong about some of the same topics or wrong about w/e theory or rule they have does not make them the same when it comes to addressing why they're wrong and admitting it. Scientists don't have to worry about losing faith if in a decade from now we discover that an object with infinite doesn't collapse under it's own mass and form a singularity.

The difference between science and religion is that scientists provide possible theories, admit they're wrong when they're proven wrong, then continue to seek an answer. Religions on the other hand, claim they're right, most by absolutes, they take on a join us or die campaign while at the same time preaching that they want to spread peace and love, if they ever do admit they're wrong they won't take a step back to question whether other parts of their religion may be wrong. Unfortunately, going off of mankind's history religion may have a lot of great solid ideas but it's not compatible with human beings, at least the rational ones.

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

Yo hows your no drink/smoke thing going Bottom?

smh.gif
... I spent Wednesday night in the the mouth of a 32 year old. We drank a 5th of Jim Beam and I smoked about 5 blunts over the course of my 18 hour stay at her crib. I can no longer tell if I'm winning or losing
tired.gif

smh.gif
... I spent Wednesday night in the the mouth of a 32 year old. We drank a 5th of Jim Beam and I smoked about 5 blunts over the course of my 18 hour stay at her crib. I can no longer tell if I'm winning or losing
tired.gif
Sounds like you won on Wednesday.
We won last night though.

And if nyou going to drink whiskey, least get some Jamison.  

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Call me stupid, but I dont understand what human life's insignificance and accidental-ness has to do with there being a Supreme Being.

Thats a very "The Earth is the center of the Universe or solar system" mentality. What exactly do we have to do with whether or not there is God?

Religion says God created man and man is here for a reason
Science says man/ earth was an accident and we ultimately have no higher purpose on earth.

Right I get that, but his statement was simply about a God. But I get your point, if he was coming from that same train of thought.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

I agree tho.
Those people are the ones that conform to a new form of their religion because theirs has been battered by logic and scientific endeavors.  The oneness of Religion and Science is mandatory to those who are too ashamed to believe the nonsense that their religion used to imply.
Reminds me of those religious scientists. Okay, cool you believe in GOD and/or a religion but then they be trying to teach creationism
smh.gif
laugh.gif
and call it a science course.

smh.gif
tired.gif

It's Jameson and no, go with Jack.

Originally Posted by ShoxBb433

I dunno bout this dude being the smartest man on earth. I call bull$#!%
Better watch your back. You should know better than to mess with Stephen Hawking 
pimp.gif

smh.gif
tired.gif

Yeah yeah yeah... She's a Celtics fan too.. I already $%##*% her but !$*! you too
tongue.gif
. Beam is her thing though and she was buying. I'm a vodka type of #%#+$. I think I'm not built for straight and narrow man.. I'm not strong enough yet. The girl in my old avy is counting down the days till she gets to me (12) and she already bought a french made outfit and a french/english dictionary
smh.gif
.. I'm doomed..

smh.gif
tired.gif

Yeah yeah yeah... She's a Celtics fan too.. I already $%##*% her but !$*! you too
tongue.gif
. Beam is her thing though and she was buying. I'm a vodka type of #%#+$. I think I'm not built for straight and narrow man.. I'm not strong enough yet. The girl in my old avy is counting down the days till she gets to me (12) and she already bought a french made outfit and a french/english dictionary
smh.gif
.. I'm doomed..
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

dude you know the drill
wink.gif

and like i said before, nothing wrong with usage at all, besides its a bell curve anyways: helps some, hinders others

Science can never win. We can never know EVERYTHING. That's why there are medical mysteries and miracles.

Science and God cannot coexist, however, because half of science's job is to gain an understanding of this world tantamount to God.

Back
Top Bottom