Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

I3, work on your lats
I really want to improve my lats, but I can't seem too. For the life of me i've never had great lats lol. What are some good exercises? BB rows, Lat Pulldown, DB row, Cable Row? I dont really like using machines, could you suggest some good workouts for the lats?

Originally Posted by gatorad3

For those of you guys who are squatting 250lb, 350lbs+ or w/e are you're guys vertical jump really high??

I think you'll find you get a really strong base, especially around the core, gluts and hamstrings. I've been doing programmes for about 8 years now,AA1 - AA3, Jump Soles, Science of Jumping and while they did help momentarily, the leg days I started 2 years ago are whats improving my leap. Im also aboutto start VJB so that should improve some explosion too.

If I had to pick the best and worst exercise it's Squats - hate it because they drain your energy, but best because its 'king of all exercises.' It will workout all the major muscles in the body.

For those of you guys who are squatting 250lb, 350lbs+ or w/e are you're guys vertical jump really high??
i can dunk standing but ive never measured my vert.....im no vince carter tho

my squat is at about 315 and i can only get up 18 inches.

So no, its not.

Originally Posted by I3

I3, work on your lats
I really want to improve my lats, but I can't seem too. For the life of me i've never had great lats lol. What are some good exercises? BB rows, Lat Pulldown, DB row, Cable Row? I dont really like using machines, could you suggest some good workouts for the lats?
Pull ups are one of the most effective upper body movements. Try alternating between pull ups and pull downs with no rest in between. Close grippull ups really require strength.

my squat peaked at 275x2 (below parallel... can't do atg yet) before i got injured. almost 2x bodyweight. i can touch rim (standing jump), but my runningvert is garbage
laugh.gif
... probably a good 5 inches less. realistically, itshould be several inches better. i need some plyo work bad.

my bench is pretty sad. 180 max i think

I3, hit the wide grip pullups for your lats. even regular grip will work well

matt53... how much u weigh?

go and take lipo6 instead it got some good reviews...im taking it now...almost every fat burner has a lot of caffeine but im seeing some good results withmine...but i only take it after work i just need the boost

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

I love this thread, nobody answers your questions.
So true!
roll.gif
Many really don't know what they are talkingabout, that's why!
laugh.gif

For instance, the real reason that squats do not increase your vert alone is because of the muscles involved during the descent. If you want to jump higher,you have to work those muscles that are responsible for lift off, then landing. You can squat, but between sets you must skip rope to get that fast twitchthing going! It's really that simple! The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land! That's said, you must teach the bodyhow to land first, then lift off!

Originally Posted by miamib30514

whats everyones opinion about "good mornings"? Looks kind of dangerous, i was thinking about incorporating it in my workout

because on lower body days (squats, deadlifts etc) my lower back gets super tight. nothing painful just really tight for about an hour and i thought

good mornings MAY help.

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

So true!
roll.gif
Many really don't know what they are talking about, that's why!
laugh.gif

For instance, the real reason that squats do not increase your vert alone is because of the muscles involved during the descent. If you want to jump higher, you have to work those muscles that are responsible for lift off, then landing. You can squat, but between sets you must skip rope to get that fast twitch thing going! It's really that simple! The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land! That's said, you must teach the body how to land first, then lift off!
oh the irony

Is it better to work out one muscle group per week? I think I've been doing it wrong.
eyes.gif
you shouldn't JUST work out only one muscle group because your muscle needs time to rebuild and it can't if your constantly breaking itdown

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

For instance, the real reason that squats do not increase your vert alone is because of the muscles involved during the descent. If you want to jump higher, you have to work those muscles that are responsible for lift off, then landing. You can squat, but between sets you must skip rope to get that fast twitch thing going! It's really that simple! The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land! That's said, you must teach the body how to land first, then lift off!
oh the irony
Would you like to debate my friend? I can cite not only proof, but will direct you to the source.

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

damn, we've been doing it wrong
roll.gif

Originally Posted by verynecessary

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

damn, we've been doing it wrong
roll.gif
Seriously, would any of you like to debate? I mean, if you think that squatting alone will make you jump higher, then you are sniffing somethingto get up there as well!

nobody said squats are the only way to increase vert. strength is a major component though, especially for standing jumps and power jumpers, less so forleapers and those with more reactive/fast-twitch fibers.

Originally Posted by Derek916

Is it better to work out one muscle group per week? I think I've been doing it wrong.
eyes.gif
you shouldn't JUST work out only one muscle group because your muscle needs time to rebuild and it can't if your constantly breaking it down
You cannot only work just one muscle group anyway. All muscles both push and pull at the cite of insertion, so if you are doing even curls, youare also working forearms, wrists, and then to a lesser extent, shoulders as well.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by I3

I3, work on your lats
Pull ups are one of the most effective upper body movements. Try alternating between pull ups and pull downs with no rest in between. Close grip pull ups really require strength.

I really need to learn how to multi-quote and im an e-Commerce major...
tired.gif

Is it good to do weight pull-ups? Im going to have to use those weight-belt things that look funny, or get a weighted vest. I saw a dude at the gym on Tueswith a weighted vest, he looked like a gumby, but im sure his results would be good.

Ive been doing wide-front, reverse-grip and close-grip, but I might add weight this time around.

VeryNec -
Yeah my one foot running is garbage, I can grab the rim off a running one foot, but thats about it haha. Two-feet jumping is what I do best..

i can dunk standing but ive never measured my vert.....im no vince carter tho
i prolly could dunk if i practiced at it as far as my step but i cant palm the ball anyway so i dont try.... but i can grab rim vertically thowithout a run start but im 6'0 i dont know if that matters

Originally Posted by verynecessary

nobody said squats are the only way to increase vert. strength is a major component though, especially for standing jumps and power jumpers, less so for leapers and those with more reactive/fast-twitch fibers.

Well, someone did say that they do squat, and that they are not getting a higher vert. Therefore I stated my retort. Also, you are only partially correct aboutstrength. For example, an athlete need not squat at all, nor do leg presses with serious poundages, in order to jump higher. It's just like the guy who cansquat 600, but still cannot jump over a 12 inch pylon. The strength that is needed to jump higher has more to do with speed, and the ability to decelerate uponlanding.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by I3

I3, work on your lats
Pull ups are one of the most effective upper body movements. Try alternating between pull ups and pull downs with no rest in between. Close grip pull ups really require strength.

I really need to learn how to multi-quote and im an e-Commerce major...
tired.gif

Is it good to do weight pull-ups? Im going to have to use those weight-belt things that look funny, or get a weighted vest. I saw a dude at the gym on Tues with a weighted vest, he looked like a gumby, but im sure his results would be good.

Ive been doing wide-front, reverse-grip and close-grip, but I might add weight this time around.

VeryNec -
Yeah my one foot running is garbage, I can grab the rim off a running one foot, but thats about it haha. Two-feet jumping is what I do best..
yea, weight belt works fine, doesn't affect the mechanics much. how many reps do u normally do per set? i get halfway decent results eventhough i'm stuck at 6 right now (up to 5 sets), trying to get into the 10-12 rep range before i add weight on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom