STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

motivation....

a few sets of one leg extentions. yep I know I've advised against them in the past...but...i'm back to using them lol. After doing tons more research recently, i've concluded that they actually are ok if you A. do one leg which requires less weight. and B. don't lock out at the top of the motion. just go up about 80-85% and back down in a fluid motion. Because it's less weight, you can do this for 10-15 reps. i've been doing them and they've felt great, really hitting the quad. Oh and also, I've done them after having already done the majority of leg work, so the legs are already extremely warmed up and worked. You guys can make you're own choices on them, but I think this way is extremely productive with low risk. Try it out.

But they still exacerbate the problem of an imbalance between quad and hamstring strength, so doing them still puts someone at an increased risk of knee and hamstring injuries.

About to go get a quick shoulder day in...hope the gyms not too packed. Couldn't pick a worse time to go in...

a few sets of one leg extentions. yep I know I've advised against them in the past...but...i'm back to using them lol. After doing tons more research recently, i've concluded that they actually are ok if you A. do one leg which requires less weight. and B. don't lock out at the top of the motion. just go up about 80-85% and back down in a fluid motion. Because it's less weight, you can do this for 10-15 reps. i've been doing them and they've felt great, really hitting the quad. Oh and also, I've done them after having already done the majority of leg work, so the legs are already extremely warmed up and worked. You guys can make you're own choices on them, but I think this way is extremely productive with low risk. Try it out.

But they still exacerbate the problem of an imbalance between quad and hamstring strength, so doing them still puts someone at an increased risk of knee and hamstring injuries.

but only if you don't equally work the hamstrings right? through like hamstring curls and deads and good mornings? if you keep things balanced, tit for tat, then do you think its straight? Or in your opinion, it's just a bad exercise overall?

Real talk, I kinda remember you saying you train professionally right? I'm glad you're on here to offer insights and whatnot.

but only if you don't equally work the hamstrings right? through like hamstring curls and deads and good mornings? if you keep things balanced, tit for tat, then do you think its straight? Or in your opinion, it's just a bad exercise overall?

Real talk, I kinda remember you saying you train professionally right? I'm glad you're on here to offer insights and whatnot.

Yeah, you'd have to find ways to "equal out" the workload though. Considering almost everyone has quads that are way too strong relative to their hamstrings youd have to do enough of a workload to equal out the leg extensions and build up hamstring strength.

Ill put it this way. Its absolutely not an exercise I would ever recommend to someone over the internet and without having an in depth health history on. Are there ways it can it be integrated into a workout program without causing an increase in injury risk? It's possible, but its not advised.

My biggest issue with the exercise is that the exercise mimics a motion that doesnt occur in everyday activities. The quads and hamstrings work in unison, and to isolate each one individually isnt very "functional" for lack of a better term.

Yeah, I do train. Ive got a masters degree in the field but its not something I usually mention here.

Energy was through the roof tonight.

Knocked out shoulders/traps and burned abs out.  Naturally my jumprope was picked up consistently.  My other addiction, next to shoes.
laugh.gif

Only downside to tonight's session...nothing but jail bait at the gym.
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Knocked out shoulders/traps and burned abs out.  Naturally my jumprope was picked up consistently.  My other addiction, next to shoes. :lol:

Only downside to tonight's session...nothing but jail bait at the gym. :smh: :lol:

What'd you do for your shoulders/traps?

Knocked out shoulders/traps and burned abs out.  Naturally my jumprope was picked up consistently.  My other addiction, next to shoes.
laugh.gif

Only downside to tonight's session...nothing but jail bait at the gym.
mean.gif
laugh.gif
Warmed up with some light overhead presses on the machine press

- Dumbbell presses

- Upright rows

- Lateral Cable raises supersetted with light upright rows

- Rear cable delt flyes

- Smith machine shrugs, regular and behind the back

- Shrugs with two 45 lb plates on each side, palms facing body followed by arms to the side, palms facing forward

Now my traps are on fire typing.
laugh.gif

I started dieting and exercising a year ago when I turned 30. I started out at 468 and my goal is to drop 200 pounds. It's been a year this past November and I'm down 130 pounds. I've learned a lot, and the main thing I've learned is diet is 90% of it all. You can't worry about calories, fat, carbs, sugars, etc. at the same time, you have to narrow it down to one or two things to avoid. I went with concentrating on not eating so much white-colored foods (white rice, pastas, sugars, flour) because those are just carbs and empty calories, and to eat clean foods as much as possible. I also hired a personal trainer who specializes in strength training (powerlifting). 

I'm gonna reach my goal before the end of summer, but my life has already changed for the better: I'm not carrying around all that weight, I'm getting stronger, I'm getting more attention from girls, I get to buy some nicer clothes. I'm new on here, but I plan on posting on this thread quite a bit. 

Keep it up, bro. Too many overweight people have accepted their position and dambed themselves to a life of struggle. You may not ever be bean pole-thin, but you can certainly made strides towards a more comfortable life. Good blog and I love to see the good attitude. Keep pushing through plateaus and best of luck.

i love gripping a barbell behind you, loaded with weight and shrugging that. also works great for forearms.

and farmers walks. LOVE THAT EXERCISE. that works a lot of stuff yo. def makes the traps burn. and forearms again!

Warmed up with some light overhead presses on the machine press

- Dumbbell presses
- Upright rows
- Lateral Cable raises supersetted with light upright rows
- Rear cable delt flyes
- Smith machine shrugs, regular and behind the back
- Shrugs with two 45 lb plates on each side, palms facing body followed by arms to the side, palms facing forward

Now my traps are on fire typing. :lol:

Thanks for the info. Going to incorporate some of those.

if you want huge traps theres no better trap builder than deadlifts.

smh.. my response didnt post.... ...I've been a bit confused on which days to do deadlifts. I spoke to my homeboy today and he recommend that I do them on legs. Said it wasnt a good idea to always do them on back days.

i love gripping a barbell behind you, loaded with weight and shrugging that. also works great for forearms.

I've always been a bit confused as too when to do deadlifts. I was going to do them today with my back workout but I spoke to my boy and he recommended me do them on leg days. Said it wasnt always a good idea to do them every time I did back.

and farmers walks. LOVE THAT EXERCISE. that works a lot of stuff yo. def makes the traps burn. and forearms again!

Always wondered the name of that exercise.

Last edited:
if you want huge traps theres no better trap builder than deadlifts.
Very true.  Deadlifts build pretty much everything.  I either do them on back day or leg day.

I really need to start targeting forearms like I did last year.  Such a pain in the *** to maintain forearms, you blink and the mass disappears if you neglect them.

Deadlifts on back or leg day...yeah, I don't know either :lol: Did them on back day...did them on leg day...I suppose it's all preference.

And farmers walk? I'm all ears for trap building exercises. Most difficult body part to build next to calves for me.

Deadlifts on back or leg day...yeah, I don't know either :lol: Did them on back day...did them on leg day...I suppose it's all preference.

And farmers walk? I'm all ears for trap building exercises. Most difficult body part to build next to calves for me.

Yea man.. I feel like it could be interchanged. :lol:

For calves, I do 4 sets of 20 on seated calf raises then another 4 sets of 20 on leg press calf raises. Good luck, lol

yea man, forearms and calves have become my new projects. i'm hitting both twice a week. I'm always trying new things to stimulate growth. i've grown to love working my calves and my forearms....i'm getting there. They just take sooooo long to put on any real size. They're getting there though.

calves, I pretty much just do basics. They get a lot of work in between the lunges, power cleans and squats, that to finish cooking them i just go heavy on the standing calve raise machine, and the seated calve raise machine, (since they work two different parts, gotta do both) and then I do the fibula joint. it works that meaty area on the front, that covers the shin. really gives a legs a good look.

forearms...pfffft....I do everything. Extensions and flexors. Squeeze plates, FARMERS WALKS, DB twists, Zottman curls (fantastic btw), and alot of my back work without straps, until i need them. Oh and i have fat grips that i put on dumbbells and bb's to really work those fibers. oh and pullups with towels and i'll wrap towels around dbs and gripping only the end of the towel, hammer curl them. Oh and static grips, which can be done in soooooo many different ways. Basically you just pick up something heavy and hold it until your grip gives out. It's like FARMERS WALKS, but stationary. Last time I loaded an olympic bar with like 250-300 and just did multiple sets of just holding it. Focused on counting in my head to ignore the pain. It was cool.

And of course with these, a lot of the stuff is super-set, so it really helps in tiring that tiny muscle out. And no i don't do everything every time, i just pick a few and go with those.

i usually only spend a half hour on either calves or forearms.

My calves are the ONLY good thing I got going lol. Everything else needs major work but I've been blessed with good legs and calves. Leg day is my absolute favorite.

All the New Years folks were out in full force tonight, but they mainly stuck to the cardio equipment so it didn't delay me getting in my biceps and shoulders. Rest day tomorrow and back at it on Saturday!

my legs get big quick... My weaknessess right now i would say are my deltoids, forearms and kinda traps still.... also need to bulk 5 more lbs and im going to start my cut on feb 14.

I have been adding an extra day to my workouts... to make up for the things i slacked on... Say if i didnt hit my bi's hard i'll hit them on that day.. same for legs or w/e.... but a diff excercise for them.

took the day off today.. still felt a little too tired..

gonna go tomorrow, sat, sun, mon , rest tues.. and go back wed.

iLLest making me want to go buy some Chipolte tommorow.. damn i want that so bad right now.

if you want to build big forearms deadlift, deadlift and more deadlift with no straps or gloves. lol deadlift is the answer is to everyones problems. my favorite lift by far and the one lift im truly 'addicted' to.

i do deadlifts on back day. no way i could do deadlifts and squats on the same day with the amount of stress heavy deadlifting puts on your cns.

Last edited:

i make sure i separate squats from deads cause they're both so freaking taxing. because of that, deads are on back day. at least they were, but recently my lower back form has been hot trash, so i've replaced deads with rack pulls. i get the same back work, but i lose the leg part of the compound. this even has me re-thinking my squat form...

i do deads on back day too...

my goal is to get a muscle up before feb.. gotta stay conssistent wit dem pullups

Got a couple questions guys

1.Is playing basketball a good form of cardio? (3-4 tough full court games)

2.Is playing basketball after a good workout a bad thing, why do I always hear people saying "you lose your workout/soreness" ?

Got a couple questions guys
1.Is playing basketball a good form of cardio? (3-4 tough full court games)
2.Is playing basketball after a good workout a bad thing, why do I always hear people saying "you lose your workout/soreness" ?

Of course its good for cardio.. If u wanna go harder do some sprints back n forth. HIIT :smokin

#2 i played after working out before and i felt the soreness the next morning still... drink your protein shake and eat a meal before playing ball.

Back
Top Bottom