STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Well that goes for a degree too? Better yet, a technology specifics boot camp certification that last a weekend? MCSE, CCNA, PMI

I rather be certified then some bro science guy giving me advice. :lol:

Besides you have to start somewhere. Knowledge is knowledge whether it's from a textbook (which I may say is very informative, you get a chance read it) or experience.

It's a requirement to have it in order to open an affiliate Crossfit Gym. Which I'm planning to do.

A degree? That takes years to acquire, so that's a stretch.

I don't disagree that knowledge is knowledge, and it's a start. But these certifications are why there are so many "trainers" who have no business handing out advice. Do you trust a doctor right out of med school?

Yea, you're certified... That you read a textbook and passed a test. Sorry, but that doesn't mean **** to me.

Fad diet followers are the worst. Calories in vs calories out.

All the paleo bros come into work now ordering big piles of meat after they take everything off their burger. Looks awful.

Im not a Paleo person.

I'll start with that disclaimer. :lol:. It's a lot more complicated than calories in vs calories out. Paleo takes a ton of discipline and it's tough to stay true to it in the long run. However, those that go on it for 60-90 days see great results by cutting out sugars and processed foods. Which are things you shouldn't be eating anyway. It also teaches people the value, or lack of value, in the food that they are putting in their body.

I wouldn't suggest Paleo to a person like you, considering your goal is to gain weight/mass. However for someone that is looking to drop 25lbs +, Paleo is a solid route.

I actually think flexible dieting (IIFYM) is harder. Very easy to go off the deep end. Yeah it's cool you're meeting your calorie/macro goal, but your sugar intake is through the roof. I do IIFYM, honestly get tired of the "work" sometimes. By work I mean tracking/logging and/or measuring.

Paleo works though. Proof is in the pudding. It's also been around for over 3 decades and been a "fad" for over 10. Time to drop the "fad" label.

this is what im talking about

Now there is one like this at my other gym and the arms are low enough. But the LA fitness ones are too high. I don't get it. I think i am slightly above average height...i don't know how these are even a thing where I can't squat in them. I literally walk behind the arms. Its a good 6 steps of baby steps because of all the weight.
I have those same bull **** racks at my gym, Ive posted videos of me squatting in them and it ******* sucks. I squat wider now with my added girth (lol) so it makes it even tougher to hit depth because you can only put you feet out so wide.

The idea of certifications (in general) based on a book and test, or classes in one weekend, is asinine imo. What other profession would you entertain advice from someone who read a book and passed a test with no other background/qualifications?
There are definitely some ******** certs that you can get online with little studying. The most legit one is CSCS with the NSCA.

I personally wouldn't listen to 90% of trainers at these commercial gyms or anyone with a NT broscience degree.

I don't disagree that knowledge is knowledge, and it's a start. But these certifications are why there are so many "trainers" who have no business handing out advice. Do you trust a doctor right out of med school?

Certifications doesn't discredit anybody. I don't see a problem in it. I went to school for 5 years in Computer Science and have over 11 years of experience, where they're ppl who get certification over the weekend that is well knowledgable as myself. It depends on the person.

Yes, I would trust that Doctor. Just because you been in the profession a long time doesn't mean you know more or a better Doctor.

At this point it's a moot issue, I'm not planning to "train" anybody. I'm doing it for myself because I'm passionate about the sport (Crossfit and Weightlifting). Having certs is only for my personal knowledge and gains.

Like I said, I rather advice from textbooks and taught by an experienced instructor than the bro scrience/smart dumb google fitness "trainer".

Last edited:
There are definitely some ******** certs that you can get online with little studying. The most legit one is CSCS with the NSCA.

I personally wouldn't listen to 90% of trainers at these commercial gyms or anyone with a NT broscience degree.

Right on. I'm not in the field so I don't know all the certs. I'm sure like any other field, there are some credible, and some which are not. It just doesn't sit well with me that some of these certs take no real background to acquire other than the info in the textbook.

It all depends on the individual

There are plenty of crossfit trainers that I trust completely. I've also come across plenty of others with crossfit certs that I can out lift and wouldn't listen to.

Last edited:
It all depends on the individual

There are plenty of crossfit trainers that I trust completely. I've also come across plenty of others with crossfit certs that I can out lift and wouldn't listen to.
Whoa now Amel buddy calm down

Certifications doesn't discredit anybody. I don't see a problem in it. I went to school for 5 years in Computer Science and have over 11 years of experience, where they're ppl who get certification over the weekend that is well knowledgable as myself. It depends on the person.

Yes, I would trust that Doctor. Just because you been in the profession a long time doesn't mean you know more or a better Doctor. I'm 36 and my coach is 27, and he's a hell of a coach with the same certs I'm hoping to obtain.

At this point it's a moot issue, I'm not planning to "train" anybody. I'm doing it for myself because I'm passionate about the sport (Crossfit and Weightlifting). Having certs is only for my personal knowledge and gains.

Like I said, I rather advice from textbooks and taught by an experienced instructor than the bro scrience/smart dumb google fitness "trainer".

We have totally different lines of thinking bc I disagree with everything you're saying. I just want to point out you said you plan to open a gym and this was a requirement; it's not just for yourself. And if you aren't going to train anyone, you're opening it for what? I digress... I'm not into e-battles so let's just agree to disagree.

Damn how high are those safety bars on the side? :lol:

This is the closest picture i could find on google sorry about the guy curling in it :lol:

now imagine that guy in the pic squatting at any depth. They are too high. It literally still blows my mind that this is a thing. Like did you not test it? Have you ever squatted ever? How is this thing even made better yet purchased by a commercial gym :smh:

We have totally different lines of thinking bc I disagree with everything you're saying. I just want to point out you said you plan to open a gym and this was a requirement; it's not just for yourself. And if you aren't going to train anyone, you're opening it for what? I digress... I'm not into e-battles so let's just agree to disagree.

Planning to open a gym in the next three years. Many gym owners are just that owners. A lot of the Crossfit elite, own gyms but does not train people.

For myself, I want to open a gym. I have a coach in mind to train and run the place. Again, my passion is in the sport per say, not to coach or train. Atleast I will have the knowledge and understanding of how things work.

To agree to disagree. :lol:

Fad diet followers are the worst. Calories in vs calories out.

All the paleo bros come into work now ordering big piles of meat after they take everything off their burger. Looks awful.

Im not a Paleo person.

I'll start with that disclaimer. :lol:. It's a lot more complicated than calories in vs calories out. Paleo takes a ton of discipline and it's tough to stay true to it in the long run. However, those that go on it for 60-90 days see great results by cutting out sugars and processed foods. Which are things you shouldn't be eating anyway. It also teaches people the value, or lack of value, in the food that they are putting in their body.

I wouldn't suggest Paleo to a person like you, considering your goal is to gain weight/mass. However for someone that is looking to drop 25lbs +, Paleo is a solid route.

I actually think flexible dieting (IIFYM) is harder. Very easy to go off the deep end. Yeah it's cool you're meeting your calorie/macro goal, but your sugar intake is through the roof. I do IIFYM, honestly get tired of the "work" sometimes. By work I mean tracking/logging and/or measuring.

Paleo works though. Proof is in the pudding. It's also been around for over 3 decades and been a "fad" for over 10. Time to drop the "fad" label.

That's what I mean though if you just eat with some common sense you'll be alright. I know paleo works but what got you 25# overweight in the first place? Probably eating tons of sugar... Now you panic and do some diet.

I just think eating with some common sense to begin with and not elimating carbs altogether is a much better long term solution. I know everyone is different but you can't tell me you got mad overweight and you NEED paleo when you should have just ate better to begin with instead of taking it to the extreme.

That's just my opinion but I feel people need to take more responsibility. Don't be a slob in the first place. Very rarely do I see anyone in good shape practicing these diets. It's always someone who gave no dambs for years and saw a diet on the news they will do for 30 days and fail.

Lifetime of discipline > a fad diet

Planning to open a gym in the next three years. Many gym owners are just that owners. A lot of the Crossfit elite, own gyms but does not train people.

For myself, I want to open a gym. I have a coach in mind to train and run the place. Again, my passion is in the sport per say, not to coach or train. Atleast I will have the knowledge and understanding of how things work.

I can respect that. I jumped to conclusions but it sounded like.. Weekend crossfit cert.. Now I'm certified to open a gym and train people.. And that rustled my jimmiez.

You're in MD jking0821 jking0821 , right? Which LA?

This was at the one in Gambrills in the Waugh Chapel shopping center right by my girls place. Ive been to the one in towson and they have good racks. It might just be this LA fitness but i am now bitter that there is one rack that i can squat in. This location is the one i stop at before i head to my girls place 2 times during the week and like once on the weekends

Paleo =/= no carbs.

Granted your source of carb options becomes a bit more limited.

Again it's easy to say coming from a guy who crushes food all day, and has trouble keeping bit on. That's why calories in vs calories out is too simple of a concept (great base).

Eliminating processed foods takes discipline. I know tons of people on Paleo that are in great shape and/or jacked

When you break it down Paleo really isn't extreme. :lol:. People **** their pants when you pass on a bun or don't take a slice of cake during the office birthday party. :lol:.

Most that have success with it live by it, it's not a "diet" for them. It's the way they eat.

Gotcha. Towson has the cage and two of the ones you're talking about. White Marsh is the same, 1 cage, and two of those. I'm only 510 and I hit them too, it's not just you.

That's what I mean though if you just eat with some common sense you'll be alright. I know paleo works but what got you 25# overweight in the first place? Probably eating tons of sugar... Now you panic and do some diet.

I just think eating with some common sense to begin with and not elimating carbs altogether is a much better long term solution. I know everyone is different but you can't tell me you got mad overweight and you NEED paleo when you should have just ate better to begin with instead of taking it to the extreme.

That's just my opinion but I feel people need to take more responsibility. Don't be a slob in the first place. Very rarely do I see anyone in good shape practicing these diets. It's always someone who gave no dambs for years and saw a diet on the news they will do for 30 days and fail.

Lifetime of discipline > a fad diet

Don't you eat like 8000 calories a day though

Forgot to post, finally cracked the 300lbs back squat club. 137kg.

Was doing 5x2. Warmed up to it 130 was done 2x went up 7kg and got it once. :lol:

Last edited:

While I think crossfit and their certifications are overpriced garbage, I respect what you want to do with opening a gym.

Even if you don't plan on coaching it would be pretty awesome to have your own gym outfitted to your needs that other people foot the bill for. Hopefully it works out.

Treadmill plateau is a decent way to put it though.

Plateau isn't a word that was invented in the gym. I've seen it happen to women who hit there all and get bored and want to take the next level onto the weights.

I say give it a shot dude. Build her a fat *** and send me a video of the squats to help you advise I'll do it for free.

Yea, you're certified... That you read a textbook and passed a test. Sorry, but that doesn't mean **** to me.

I agree and disagree. There's no replacement for experience. Period.

But tests are one of the few ways to hold people accountable for the material they've learned.

With all these free online courses, you can take enough free courses and read all the textbooks you want but if no one is testing you, what's the point?

I agree and disagree. There's no replacement for experience. Period.

But tests are one of the few ways to hold people accountable for the material they've learned.

With all these free online courses, you can take enough free courses and read all the textbooks you want but if no one is testing you, what's the point?

I'm not sure what you're agreeing or disagreeing with, or if that's a rhetorical question :lol:

I understand testing of material is necessary. But just bc you've read the material and can pass a test on it, doesn't mean you know how to apply it. Which lends to your point that there is no substitution for experience. Especially in a discipline such as this.

Back
Top Bottom