STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

s-l300.jpg

I'm saying, just because someone feels more comfortable with a mixed grip doesn't automatically mean they are deadlifting corectly. It's really, really, really the lowest priority when it comes to fixing someone's setup. The other stuff that you were saying, fixing foot position, changing your back angle, that's all well and good. Mixing your grip. Nah.

It's a pretty common strategy among any reputable trainers to stay away from the mixed grip until you can really start to load the bar.

Its like trying to drive stickshift with Timbs, you coulddo it but regular kicks would make it more comfortable. Its a small detail but personally some lifts for me have changed drastically with the change of my grip.

I don't think you remember what we were arguing about.

We're not talking about someone who's been lifting a bit, knows how to set up but still doesn't feel comfortable deadlifting and is looking for a way to make his deadlift more comfortable (hence the mixed grip)

We're talking about a complete beginner who's barely loading the bar and not lifting with a neutral spine. Mixed grip ain't changing that, b. You can still jack your back the eff up with a mixed grip.

The original question was, how do I keep this boy from hitting snapped city, not how do we make him more comfortable lifting.

Last edited:
And you'll have a weak *** overhand grip if you never work on it. I could only do 160 when I started before the bar slipped. :lol:

I think it goes hand in hand though, why not make thenlift

We're not talking about someone who's been lifting a bit, knows how to set up but still doesn't feel comfortable deadlifting and is looking for a way to make his deadlift more comfortable (hence the mixed grip)

We're talking about a complete beginner who's barely loading the bar and not lifting with a neutral spine. Mixed grip ain't changing that, b. You can still jack your back the eff up with a mixed grip.

The original question was, how do I keep this boy from hitting snapped city, not how do we make him more comfortable lifting.

I think both go hand in hand, why not make it more comfortable for him to get his grip AND the other advice. Maybe he would concetrate too much on the holding the weight part thus throwing off the concentration for keeping your back straight.

Maybe dl is too complex a lift for a beginner? Squatting will teach you what you need to feel for in your back too and it's just one motion.

Know your audience.

Deadlift is a very beginner friendly lift to learn. Starting position can be affected by someone's physical make up. Adjust it accordingly. Also, what type of stimulus are you trying to get, is your goal to load the hamstrings (high hips, vertical shins, shoulders "pulled back") or are you overcompensating for weak hamstrings by dropping the hips and letting the quads get involved. Different strokes.

Someone with long arms, probably start with higher hip position. Hard to gauge with no video.

Most common fault that leads to a round back is someone trying to lift the weight with their shoulders as opposed to using their legs properly. Second is probably the bar getting away from the body. Third is probably lack of midline stabilization (bracing).

Again, hard to gauge, when it's being described as opposed to video. Even based on description, mobility doesn't sound like the answer.

As far as grip is concerned, depends on your routine. If you don't do any compound/explosive movements it won't hurt you if you exclusively mix grip. However, for athletes that want to work on their grip strength for field sports or Olympic lifting, you make them max out their overhand grip and then you allow them to mix.

I need to switch my shoes too. Sometimes I just go shoeless. Flyknits are not the move for lifting.

I'm saying, just because someone feels more comfortable with a mixed grip doesn't automatically mean they are deadlifting corectly. It's really, really, really the lowest priority when it comes to fixing someone's setup. The other stuff that you were saying, fixing foot position, changing your back angle, that's all well and good. Mixing your grip. Nah.

It's a pretty common strategy among any reputable trainers to stay away from the mixed grip until you can really start to load the bar.

QFT. It's really the last thing you ever worry about when teaching a beginner. They have to be able to hip hinge without having to think about it too hard. Plus they need mobility, symmetry in range of motion from right to left, they need to understand tension, etc.

you really need a video to assess somneone's weaknesses. i would suggest watching some jonnie candito videos on youtube for advice. i've yet to see a person deadlift as much as he does with such textbook form. the guy is flawless on every single damn rep.

btw do not keep your shins completely vertical(ie perpendicular to the ground). you'll be losing quad drive by doing so which helps get the bar off the ground. 

Last edited:
A lot of good points above. Grip should only become the limiting factor once the bar starts slipping. Find out how he's built to pull, reinforce cues, and engrain good motor pattern.

I think it goes hand in hand though, why not make thenlift

I think both go hand in hand, why not make it more comfortable for him to get his grip AND the other advice. Maybe he would concetrate too much on the holding the weight part thus throwing off the concentration for keeping your back straight.

I think you're forgetting dude in question is 6'3 170. It shouldn't take too much concentration to hold onto 65 pounds. You think he's curving his back because he's concentrating on holding the bar with a clean grip? That is what you're saying?

Grip strength really isn't the issue here. If he's uncomfortable it's just because he's not used to the movement/not flexible/not mobile enough and that comes with time.

He should really get the chance to work on his form before he decides to use mixed grip exclusively. I'm kinda done with this topic. You can get the last word if you want :lol:

Last edited:

AMEL in here like.....
I tried to tell ya....

if you're not going to use straps (which I do)
Mixed grip will help you pull more weight. (that's true)

but Like Amel said why even start out with mix grip if you're barely pulling the bar by itself, or even know how to pull correctly

Last edited:
Never said I didn't like mixed grip, bro.

Grip strength is just rarely the issue when dealing with really light weight. It's almost always flexibility/mobility issues.

I've seen dudes who can curl 100 pounds that deadlift 65 pounds with a rounded back. Lol.

Last edited:
but Like Amel said why even start out with mix grip if you're barely pulling the bar by itself, or even know how to pull correctly
He's right. Just drop the weight and work on his form.  Simple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom