STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

The logic being used in this argument makes my head want to explode.

If you play basketball at the YMCA or shoot hoops in front of your house, you are a basketball player because you are playing basketball.

Drawing an arbitrary distinction undercuts logic.

The logic being used in this argument makes my head want to explode.

If you play basketball at the YMCA or shoot hoops in front of your house, you are a basketball player because you are playing basketball.

Drawing an arbitrary distinction undercuts logic.

it's really that simple. If this is true, then this is truth. If you do this, then you are this. The only way your argument holds true Drop if you are referring to titles created by a certain system. Like you aren't a champion, until you win such n such. Or, just because you operate on people in your garage, it doesn't make you a surgeon, you must go through processes to be certified as such. You pick up weights and use them in an effort to alter you physical makeup, you are a bodybuilder, by definition. Guys get so caught up in titles and their mental definition of what one should look like, they completely miss the simplicity of what it actually is.

Last edited:
so if i'm on the freeway in my prius and i'm going 80mph trying to keep up with a gt-r, does that make me a racecar driver?

Using a dumbbell makes you a bodybuilder....

Playing a video game... makes you a gamer?

Did we color as kids? Are we all retired artists?

Have you taken taken a photo? Are you a photographer?

I'm just joking... because I'm a comedian. :wink:

---------

On a more serious note. I stopped deadlifting after I injured my lower back about a year ago. Its been a huge mental thing for me. Well I did rack pulls last night on back day and felt no pain or snap action. Kept the weight really light (started with just the bar going extremely slow) I think after a couple of months of doing rack pulls I'll be (mentally) ready to deadlift again.

so if i'm on the freeway in my prius and i'm going 80mph trying to keep up with a gt-r, does that make me a racecar driver?

if you drive a race car, you're a race car driver. 'Race car' is just the umbrella name of an automobile built or modified for racing.

if you drive a race car, you're a race car driver. 'Race car' is just the umbrella name of an automobile built or modified for racing.
cool. drove my boss's maserati a few times. didn't wear a helmet though cause i'm pretty much a rebel.

Just because I draw stick figures on the back of my notebook doesn't make me an artist

Just because I shape up my own hairline doesnt make me a barber

Just because Im rich and take my Ferrari to the track every 2 months doesnt make me a race car driver

Just because I tell my homeboy how to lift weights in the gym doesnt make me a personal trainer

Titles are earned

Last edited:
Just because I draw stick figures on the back of my notebook doesn't make me an artist

Just because Im rich and take my Ferrari to the track every 2 months doesnt make me a race car driver

Just because I tell my homeboy how to lift weights in the gym doesnt make me a personal trainer

Titles are earned

Flawed logic.

You'll never get it.

Titles are earned

I'm thinking maybe you aren't getting the difference between definitions and descriptions and that is where the comprehension argument stems from.

If you draw stick figures, you are an artist. The stick figures are your art, even if on a rudimentary scale.

Barber is the name of a trade. If you cut your boys hair for dough, you'd be a barber. To be a 'barber' is an occupation. There are plenty of barbers that never stepped foot in a cosmetology/barber school.

You are a race car driver. You are not however a professional racer.

Personal trainer is another professional title. If you accept a fee from your boy then you are a personal trainer. Otherwise it's just advice.

You have to understand there is a difference between a title based on recognition and a title based on reality. If you walk through the park and see some trash left and pick it up, you are not a trash man, you're just being environmentally conscious. 'Trash man' is an occupation. To become recognized as a trash man, you go and get that job and you get paid for it. If you hop in the pool and swim laps, you're a swimmer.

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe you aren't getting the difference between definitions and descriptions and that is where the comprehension argument stems from.

If you draw stick figures, you are an artist. The stick figures are your art, even if on a rudimentary scale.

Barber is the name of a trade. If you cut your boys hair for dough, you'd be a barber. To be a 'barber' is an occupation. There are plenty of barbers that never stepped foot in a cosmetology/barber school.

You are a race car driver. You are not however a professional racer.

Personal trainer is another professional title. If you accept a fee from your boy then you are a personal trainer. Otherwise it's just advice.

You have to understand there is a difference between a title based on recognition and a title based on reality. If you walk through the park and see some trash left and pick it up, you are not a trash man, you're just being environmentally conscious. 'Trash man' is an occupation. To become recognized as a trash man, you go and get that job and you get paid for it. If you hop in the pool and swim laps, you're a swimmer.

Some of what you're saying contradicts each other. But from what you guys are telling me is that anyone can be anything at any point in time. So if a 2 year old boy is playing baby basketball with his Preskool basketball toy, then he is a basketball player

Some of what you're saying contradicts each other. But from what you guys are telling me is that anyone can be anything at any point in time. So if a 2 year old boy is playing baby basketball with his Preskool basketball toy, then he is a basketball player
yeah man. depends if you want to be literal or not.

So sports based on point systems aren't real sports and a person can play basketball his whole life but doesn't make it to the NBA level isn't a basketball player. Gotcha

Anything else im missing? :nerd:

Last edited:
O so we still on this......maybe tomorrow we can talk about lifting.

Feels like the off-season thread in here.

Needing things to do on deadlift day. I'm thinking high pulls, RDLs, and chinups. Usually I'm lazy and just do the work sets. I don't need the things per se but if I only do work sets I wind up spending only 30 minutes at the gym and I need more to do, so accessory work is always nice.

There's nothing wrong with a little debate here and there :lol:

And to touch on what makes someone a bodybuilder

Just because you play basketball with your boys doesn't make you a basketball player.

Then by that logic, yes, it kind of does. Just like stealing one thing makes you a thief and telling one lie makes you a liar. Hooping with your boys doesn't make you a professional basketball player..but while you are in the act, you fit the description. So if you're building your body through the use of resistance training to develop your musculature, you're a body builder; if you compete and go pro, then you're a professional body builder.

I get your argument and im not debating your global viewpoint. However, i do disgaree with that statement that using resistance to increase your musculature automatically makes one a bodybuilder. Thats what bodybuilders do, but just because someone does that doesnt automatically make them a bodybuilder.

Thats the only real objection i have to the viewpoint, and its mostly semantics.

I think when it comes to sports/physical-recreational activities, in order to "be" that thing you must actively train to get better at it for it and/or compete.

O so we still on this......maybe tomorrow we can talk about lifting.

Feels like the off-season thread in here.

The thing that's sad was that August-September there was a month of USA basketball being played, but no one was posting in the USA basketball thread. But the regulars in the off season thread stays talking about the weirdest **** :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom