Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by bkmac

Vitamin recommendations? Yay or nay on Fish Oil (if yay, recommendations)? 
Fish oil is one of the only supplements that EVERYONE should take. Try getting a tested and filtered one if you can afford it. Cheap ones usually mean cheap quality(rancidity, heavy metals, etc.). I like Carlson's. You can get 100 tsps at vitacost.com for around $20
Brett: Calories dictate weight. Food quality dictates body composition.
funny thing is, i just researched fish oil the other day.  i found this (somewhat old, but still useful) post about it on /b/
here

also, ive been looking into power cleans and looked at some videos on youtube.  can anyone give me some useful advice so i know exactly what muscles i should be using?

For a side project, I'm going to try and research and write up a thesis on workouts and the physical, psychological and mental effects they have on the human body. Then I'm going to use that information and try and break down what maximizes muscle growth, development and structuring, what makes supplements effective and hopefully make my own supplement.

I've been engrossed in strength/athletic training for the past couple of months and I feel this will be a good way to learn more and put some knowledge together.

Any recommendations on how to firm up the glutes? I've been doing three sets of ten lunges with 30lb dumbbells and three sets of ten squats with 35lb plates on the bar.

Also, trying to get rid of belly fat is proving to be very difficult. Run 10-13 miles a week. I do the ab-workout from the P90x every other day as well as various weightlifting. I feel like my core is strong but the fat is not moving. I'm 5'6" 140, by the way.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Dont you think thats incredibly broad?

Also, that "research" could take years to accomplish.
It is broad, and I have no doubt it would take well over a year but I'm very interested in this... and I feel like I need something useful to do with my spare time instead of just hitting up the internet and looking at pictures of shoes and cars
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by scshift

For a side project, I'm going to try and research and write up a thesis on workouts and the physical, psychological and mental effects they have on the human body. Then I'm going to use that information and try and break down what maximizes muscle growth, development and structuring, what makes supplements effective and hopefully make my own supplement.

I've been engrossed in strength/athletic training for the past couple of months and I feel this will be a good way to learn more and put some knowledge together.
laugh.gif
Good luck. You'll realize that there's more information out there than can be processed in a few months or even years. That's why you have people that have been in the industry for decades who are still learning

Originally Posted by rickjames10

Anyrecommendations on how to firm up the glutes? I've been doing threesets of ten lunges with 30lb dumbbells and three sets of ten squatswith 35lb plates on the bar.

Also, trying to get rid of belly fat is proving to be very difficult.Run 10-13 miles a week. I do the ab-workout from the P90x every otherday as well as various weightlifting. I feel like my core is strong butthe fat is not moving. I'm 5'6" 140, by the way.
Kettlebell swings
If you're doing squats heavy enough and to proper depth(parallel or lower), you should see glute development.
Work on diet
If you've been doing high reps for a while, go heavier and with fewer reps(around 5)

any one here only eat organic meat, and other products ?

i cut out red meat as a whole, and only eat fish and poultry.

all of my meat intake is organic.

also dairy, and veggies.

alot better tasting as well, and feel so much healthier (alot to do with the red meat)

here is a study overview from :

http://www.princeton.edu/greening/organic4.htm

I try to eat grass fed free range beef but it's twice the price...
This time next year I will be able to afford 100% organic groceries

Organic isn't quite enough in my opinion. There's no regulation. You can have a factory farmed animal that is labeled organic but not much better off than a conventional animal and you can have a non-certified organic, pastured animal that is in far better conditions(lives outside, proper diet, no antibiotics/hormones, etc.). It's best to get to the source and know how the food is being handled. Farmer's markets, co-ops, and even ordering online can be useful tools.

Brett, it's not necessarily that expensive if you go to the source. If you have the room, you can buy a quarter, half, or a whole cow straight from the farmer for a few bucks a pound. But most people don't have enough freezer space to make it cost effective the first time.

Ive been having discussions with classmates about the topic of organic food.

Im not sure that "non-organic" food is that bad for someone.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I think some people here *COUGHCOUGH* Brett *COUGH* are too focused on the short term without thinking about the big picture. It doesnt matter who you are, you're not going to get amazing results in just a couple of weeks/months. Stick to a good plan and after a few years you'll probably be pleased with your progress.

And there is science out there that proves you can gain muscle and lose fat/keep fat gain minimal without "bulking up" and gaining a ton of fat. I know they are genetic freaks, but look at athletes who are able to gradually gain muscle without ever getting fat. Work out regularly, eat relatively healthy, do some cardio, eat more on days you're more active and less on days you're less active and you should get nice results over the long run. I'm simplifying things a bit but this isnt as complicated as some are making it out to be.
I really needed this, but I also think many people in this thread also do too. I've noticed I stopped making too much progress after a certain point because I was choosing between "cutting" or "bulking" every few weeks or so...but the sad reality is that things don't work that way...especially for the not so genetically endowed. Long-term thoughts, starting now!

Durden7 wrote:

bro, read the link i posted.

there are MANY reasons that "non-organic" (conventional) food is not that great  for you.

esp now all the diff pesticides, and other outside sources they use to make the growing process quicker.

http://omniintelligencer.com/Health...ess/Why-You-Should-Avoid-Conventional-Chicken:
Why You Should Avoid Conventional Chicken
There are several reasons for avoiding conventionally raised chicken found in most grocery stores.

One of the major problems with non-organic animal meat is that they tend to bioaccumulate toxins to a higher degree than vegetables, and conventional livestock feed is frequently laced with a variety of pesticides used in growing the crops the feed is made of.

Unlike conventional fruits and vegetables, where peeling and washing can greatly reduce the amounts of these toxins, the pesticides and drugs that these animals get exposed to during their lives can become incorporated into their very tissues, especially their fat.

While you can cut off some of it, you may still be ingesting high amounts of toxins if you consume such foods regularly.

For this reason alone, if you’re on a tight budget but want to improve your diet, shopping for organic chicken and other meats is a definitely the place to start.

When choosing chicken, you’ll want to make sure they are cage-free, or free-range, chickens.

But another important factor that sets organic chicken apart from its conventional counterpart is they will not contain antibiotics and other growth promoting drugs.

Poultry farmers regularly treat chickens and other birds with antibiotics to prevent the development of intestinal infections that might reduce the weight (and profitability) of the birds. Yet scientists have become increasingly concerned that the routine use of antibiotics in animal agriculture is a health hazard by accelerating the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria that could lead to a pandemic or other human health crisis.

Durden7 wrote:

there are MANY reasons that "non-organic" (conventional) food is not that great  for you.

esp now all the diff pesticides, and other outside sources they use to make the growing process quicker.

http://omniintelligencer.com/Health...ess/Why-You-Should-Avoid-Conventional-Chicken:
Why You Should Avoid Conventional Chicken
There are several reasons for avoiding conventionally raised chicken found in most grocery stores.

One of the major problems with non-organic animal meat is that they tend to bioaccumulate toxins to a higher degree than vegetables, and conventional livestock feed is frequently laced with a variety of pesticides used in growing the crops the feed is made of.

Unlike conventional fruits and vegetables, where peeling and washing can greatly reduce the amounts of these toxins, the pesticides and drugs that these animals get exposed to during their lives can become incorporated into their very tissues, especially their fat.

While you can cut off some of it, you may still be ingesting high amounts of toxins if you consume such foods regularly.

For this reason alone, if you’re on a tight budget but want to improve your diet, shopping for organic chicken and other meats is a definitely the place to start.

When choosing chicken, you’ll want to make sure they are cage-free, or free-range, chickens.

But another important factor that sets organic chicken apart from its conventional counterpart is they will not contain antibiotics and other growth promoting drugs.

Poultry farmers regularly treat chickens and other birds with antibiotics to prevent the development of intestinal infections that might reduce the weight (and profitability) of the birds. Yet scientists have become increasingly concerned that the routine use of antibiotics in animal agriculture is a health hazard by accelerating the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria that could lead to a pandemic or other human health crisis.

Originally Posted by bwood056

Durden7 wrote:

Im well aware of the "dangers" of non-organic chicken.  I didnt say that regular chicken is great.

The question is how much does it affect someone?

Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

Im well aware of the "dangers" of non-organic chicken.  I didnt say that regular chicken is great.

i posted the chicken as just a reference .

the link i posted before from Princeton puts out an overlay of the advantages of organic, versus the "conventional" - with its disadvantages.

Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

the link i posted before from Princeton puts out an overlay of the advantages of organic, versus the "conventional" - with its disadvantages.

All I know is that the girls develop wayyy faster in our country and the most likely cause are the hormones in the meat and milk supply.

Whether they have a similar effect on males in terms of weight training I can't say. Maybe they're anti anabolic as it pertains to weight training.

Overall it can't be good but for something specific like weight training it may actually help if they have anabolic effects.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

All I know is that the girls develop wayyy faster in our country and the most likely cause are the hormones in the meat and milk supply.

Whether they have a similar effect on males in terms of weight training I can't say. Maybe they're anti anabolic as it pertains to weight training.

Overall it can't be good but for something specific like weight training it may actually help if they have anabolic effects.
http://weightlossandtraining.com/benefits-of-organic-food

"Best of all, latest research does indeed support higher nutrient levels. On average, organic crops contain higher levels of trace minerals, vitamin C, and other antioxidants*. That’s because organic crops rely on their own defenses rather than chemical pesticides. Therefore the antioxidants involved in the plant’s own defense system (aka phytonutrients) will be higher in organic produce.

*If you don’t remember why antioxidants are beneficial to us here is a refresher… Oxidation reactions in our body produce free radicals which start chain reactions that damage cells and are thought to cause neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. Antioxidants terminate these chain reactions and keep our cells healthy."

Yeah, I def. understand the two sides and what they offer.  Im not saying im on the non-organic side or saying that non-organic food is great.  I just question how important it is in the grand scheme of things.  In terms of overall health, I believe theres numerous things of a greater importance than organic foods.

I also wonder how much of the pesticide/etc. is actually consumed and detrimental to ones health.

http://weightlossandtraining.com/benefits-of-organic-food

"Best of all, latest research does indeed support higher nutrient levels. On average, organic crops contain higher levels of trace minerals, vitamin C, and other antioxidants*. That’s because organic crops rely on their own defenses rather than chemical pesticides. Therefore the antioxidants involved in the plant’s own defense system (aka phytonutrients) will be higher in organic produce.

*If you don’t remember why antioxidants are beneficial to us here is a refresher… Oxidation reactions in our body produce free radicals which start chain reactions that damage cells and are thought to cause neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. Antioxidants terminate these chain reactions and keep our cells healthy."

That's true for overall health, especially in the long term. 
Strength training isn't really long term. Speed (potential) peaks at about 25-26 years old and strength (potential) peaks in the early to mid 30's for most.  

Long term heavy strength training isn't good for one's body either (mainly arthritis and scar tissue from injuries) but we still do it. 

I don't disagree that truly organic foods aren't better. I worked with an older Guyanese (early 60's; Indian descent) dude when I was in college and he used to talk about 'real organic " food and even brought back some whenever he went to Guyana. There def was a diff in taste.

This dude was in his early 60's and looked like he was 45. 

When it comes to strength training these hormone laden meat and milk products may actually be beneficial. 

Originally Posted by rickjames10

Anyrecommendations on how to firm up the glutes? I've been doing threesets of ten lunges with 30lb dumbbells and three sets of ten squatswith 35lb plates on the bar.

Also, trying to get rid of belly fat is proving to be very difficult.Run 10-13 miles a week. I do the ab-workout from the P90x every otherday as well as various weightlifting. I feel like my core is strong butthe fat is not moving. I'm 5'6" 140, by the way.
Kettlebell swings
If you're doing squats heavy enough and to proper depth(parallel or lower), you should see glute development.
Work on diet
If you've been doing high reps for a while, go heavier and with fewer reps(around 5)
Thanks.  Tried that today.  Felt a little more difficult but I managed.  However, on the squats, I added 10lbs and noticed my left leg bending inside.  So I took those off and added 5lbs.  Is that a difficult area (glutes) to build up?

Last meal of the day.... 60ml of olive oil (45g of fat)
For some reason, my diet has little to no fats when I'm eating well. Avocados go bad soo damn fast, and almonds are dry as HELL

When it comes to strength training these hormone laden meat and milk products may actually be beneficial. 

I still think that it doesn't help more than it hurts. You miss out on so many other micronutrients that healthy animal products contain. EFA's, FFA's, vitamins, minerals.
Possible antibiotic resistance for humans, antibiotic resistant bacteria, possible contaminations, etc. are no good. All I'm saying is if you're eating food from weak and diseased sources, it makes sense that over time you'll become weak and diseased as well.

I still think that it doesn't help more than it hurts. You miss out on so many other micronutrients that healthy animal products contain. EFA's, FFA's, vitamins, minerals.
Possible antibiotic resistance for humans, antibiotic resistant bacteria, possible contaminations, etc. are no good. All I'm saying is if you're eating food from weak and diseased sources, it makes sense that over time you'll become weak and diseased as well.

That's where supplements come in.

Back
Top Bottom