Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

i got a few questions i have recently lost 60 lbs (started st patricks day) i have 20 more lbs left to lose to meet my goal but i cant seem to lose 20 more lbs im stuck at 200 (for the last 2 weeks) im tryin to get to 180 i guess my body has plateaued* u could call it, i go to the gym 6-7x a week (i know probably to many but i feel weird when i dont go) i quit drinking, i do everything from weights, to resistance, to running while im at the gym and i dont know what else i can do to shed these 20 more lbs (im 18% body fat by the way i started at 24%) any ideas

ya....i dont think legs dont play much of a role in your bench...

thats a common misconception...

to an extent yes, but if you want to increase your bench... focus on improving your form first...

work on your shoulders, if you're having problems at the bottom of the lift... and triceps if you are having trouble locking it out. practice lockouts on a squat rack with the safety pins, floor presses etc if you want... dips are also of major help and be sure to lean forward.

all of what he said too though^^^

Might be a stupid question but if I run on the treadmill 6 sets of 5 minutes does that = 30 minutes of cardio? As in does the calories burn equal the same as running 30 minutes?

just curious what some of you guys do on back days or whenever you do any back work, i've got to start focusing more on my back considering my shoulders are slightly rolling in towards my chest and my shoulder blades are sticking out of my back, its such an annoyance to me, and i want to get rid of that happening

interesting article over at bb

Think, But Don't Over-Analyze

When you are enthusiastic about bodybuilding, or any sport or hobby for that matter, you want to know everything you can about it. You want to know what's the best exercise, what rep range will give you an edge, how to best structure your split so that you eek out every gain that you can. This thirst for knowledge is a healthy one - and is a sign that you are thinking, that you care.

But it can also hold you back. With the wealth of information available, especially in the internet age, it's all too easy to get caught up in the minutia, to start wondering if this or that exercise will pack on the size better, whether XX supplement will be the difference between success and failure. The next thing you know, you're spending too much on supplements, switching up your routine every other week to use that new magic routine you read about, or getting discouraged over results that don't seem up to par with the promises of the muscle mags.

The 80/20 Rule

Dr. Joseph Juran, working on quality and management principles in the 1930's and 1940's observed a universal principle that he called the "vital few and trivial many", in which 20 percent of something is responsible for 80 percent of the results. This became known as the Pareto Principle, or the 80/20 rule. This rule means that in anything 20% is vital and 80% is trivial. For example, Juran observed that 20% of the people owned 80% of the wealth. Or that 20% of defects caused 80% of the problems. You can apply this rule to almost anything.

The value of the 80/20 rule is that it reminds you to focus on the 20% that matters. You should identify and focus on these things. So in bodybuilding, what are they? I would say that the 20% that matters includes:
  • Researching & following a good, fundamental, bodybuilding program. (Not a perfect one, it doesn't exist).
  • Putting in hard work in the gym, consistently, over a long period of time.
  • Following the rule of progression, and ensure that over time you are lifting more weight, more reps, or more sets.
  • Having good nutrition. Eating enough good stuff, and not too much bad stuff over the course of a day.
  • Getting adequate recovery.
  • Adjusting your plan periodically, based on your results and your experiences.
Which basically means: Train. Eat. Rest. Repeat. Week in and week out. Focusing on the basics will give you 80% of your results.

So if that's the important 20%, what's the 80% that's trivial? Well in my opinion it's details like these:
  • Should I do 3 sets of 8 reps or 5 sets of 10 reps?
  • What's better, 1.25g protein per pound or 1.37g/lb, or 1.5 g/lb.?
  • I'm doing BB curls, should I be doing DB curls or EZ bar curls instead?
  • What's the best angle for incline barbell presses?
  • If I don't get 30g of protein within half an hour after training, is my session wasted?
  • How much should I be lifting for my height / weight?
  • Are DB flyes better than using the Pec Dec?
Etc. Etc. Etc. Honestly, that stuff doesn't make a difference. Or rather, if it does it makes a relatively small difference (20%); or only makes a difference for a relatively small few who are at the limits of their physical development. For most of us average Joes, it just doesn't matter! Sure, if you have a wrist issue, EZ curls may bump into that 20% of things that matter, but in general it doesn't make that much of a difference.

The muscle mags would like to convince you different, since they want you to continuously tune in to find out if you're doing everything right. If you're "in the know" about the latest "hollywood workout". Whether you're missing a miracle supplement that just got invented in a secret Swiss lab.

That way lies madness, my friends.

Objective Evidence

So how do we know this is true? Well, first of all look at the wide variety of workout programs, splits, exercise selection, training frequency, and equipment recommendations from various top bodybuilders over the years. Do they all agree? No. Do they recommend all the same things? Don't think so. Do they all train the same way? Nope. But it's not the 20% they disagree on, it's the 80%. Which stands to reason, since the 80% only makes a small difference, and most of that is individual anyway. What's right for one person is not always right for another.

But they all agree on the value of the big, compound movements. They all preach eating enough, eating right, getting enough protein, and having intensity in the gym. They all agree that results take hard work and consistency and a balanced workout routine. They agree on the 20%.

As further evidence that sometimes the small things don't matter: how often have you seen some dipstick in the gym using terrible form doing nothing but crappy curls and yet having jacked arms? It happens. Sure, he might get injured periodically. Sure, he might have no calves. But when it comes to those arms, he's doing at least 20% of things right.

Final Thoughts (Cliffs)

So what do you take away from all that? It's simple: do your homework and spend your time and effort on the 20% of the details that matter - that's Thinking. Don't waste your time sweating the 80% of the trivial details that make little or no difference - that's over-analyzing.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, and you should figure out what those "20%" things are for yourself by reading and thinking. But once you do, focus on that and don't let the "80%" of minutia derail you from what really matters.

Ran 4 miles earlier 
pimp.gif

Got legs & abs tomorrow

Can someone help improve my workout routine. I want to become well balanced but would like advice on a good well rounded way to do so. (( )) Indicates the side workout/ not the focus of the day

-Monday
Back, Shoulders, Chest ((abs))

-Tuesday
Abs, Arms, Chest ((cardio))

-Wednesday
Thighs, Glutes, Calves, Cardio

-Thursday
off

-Friday
Arms,back, shoulder ((abs))

- Satuday
Same as Wednesday

-Sunday
I'm not sure yet

Originally Posted by cartune

Might be a stupid question but if I run on the treadmill 6 sets of 5 minutes does that = 30 minutes of cardio? As in does the calories burn equal the same as running 30 minutes?
nah dude...when traditionally referring to cardio, people mean steady-state which is like jogging or stuff like that where you don't stop. Since it is highly unlikely you're doing sprints or anything anaerobic for a set of 5 min, I'm gonna go ahead and say 30 min of cardio = 1 set nonstop

my workout yesterday...decided to try and max out on my deadlift

deadlift: 135x8 (warmup) 185x5, 205x2, 235x1, 255x1, 275x1(PR) tried to get 285 after this but the weight refused to leave the ground haha
pull ups on total gym 16, 16, 12 (i have no pull up bar...closest thing ill get to a pull up at my house)

15 minute casual bike ride to wind things down.

felt really good yesterday. got that lightheaded feeling when i put up 275.

Originally Posted by cucumbercool

Can someone help improve my workout routine. I want to become well balanced but would like advice on a good well rounded way to do so. (( )) Indicates the side workout/ not the focus of the day

-Monday
Shoulders,Chest, bicep,tricep, Abs, and Cardio

-Tuesday
Back,forearms, and traps, light cardio-1mile(after lifting)

-Wednesday
Legs, abs, chest,shoulders and bicep+tricep, light cardio-1mile(after lifting)

-Thursday
off- Light cardio-1mile

-Friday
Back,forearms, traps and cardio

- Satuday
For this day, it's optional for me. I usually just do some recovery exercises all around. Low sets/reps of pushups, pullups, squats, triangle pushups, etc. Mostly exercises that involves your own body weight and i do them just for psychological purposes (i don't like resting, feels like i'm falling off, and once you fall off it's hard to get back on track) and recovery. + light cardio-1mile.

-Sunday
Sunday i look in the mirror and target the muscle i want to improve in and work there.+ Cardio.( Or i just do Tuesdays workout.)
Back+chest on the same day would be overkill. Muscles need time to rest -abs,chest, etc; can't have them b2b. Don't work out legs same day with cardio, it will destroy your recovery. I do my cardio on days i focus chest, and legs when i have my off-cardio days.

What i also do is super sets, with low rest+high reps; it's been great to me. As you can see i added lightcardio to all the days, because it's only 1mile, the weather is great(less than 15min walk if your lazy, or a 7min run). I don't know if your looking to get big or cut, but this is mostly a cut workout, it involves high reps with low rest and a combo of a super set with alot of cardio(i do more, but i don't know what shape you are in)

Some super set routines can be seen on you-tube, GSP, has some great ones, that i do.

Again, depends on what results you want to see, all the cardio in the workout will make muscle mass hard to gain; plus the diet also plays a big factor, as it does in all workouts.

A personal issue I am having with myself. I t ery well. 5 days out of the week, I am practically flawless. But on the weekends (especially in the summer), I eat like a damn dog. JUst stuff I know I shouldn't be eating.

How much is this hurting me? I strive to be as cut as Bruce Lee, but I know the way I am living isn't right. Some say, "It is ok to cheat 1/2 days per week" but every week? Sure that is cool? I love food

Originally Posted by NjCollector

-Monday

-Tuesday

-Wednesday

-Thursday
off- Light cardio-1mile

-Friday

- Satuday
For this day, it's optional for me. I usually just do some recovery exercises all around. Low sets/reps of pushups, pullups, squats, triangle pushups, etc. Mostly exercises that involves your own body weight and i do them just for psychological purposes (i don't like resting, feels like i'm falling off, and once you fall off it's hard to get back on track) and recovery. + light cardio-1mile.

-Sunday
Sunday i look in the mirror and target the muscle i want to improve in and work there.+ Cardio.( Or i just do Tuesdays workout.)
Back+chest on the same day would be overkill. Muscles need time to rest -abs,chest, etc; can't have them b2b. Don't work out legs same day with cardio, it will destroy your recovery. I do my cardio on days i focus chest, and legs when i have my off-cardio days.

What i also do is super sets, with low rest+high reps; it's been great to me. As you can see i added lightcardio to all the days, because it's only 1mile, the weather is great(less than 15min walk if your lazy, or a 7min run). I don't know if your looking to get big or cut, but this is mostly a cut workout, it involves high reps with low rest and a combo of a super set with alot of cardio(i do more, but i don't know what shape you are in)

Some super set routines can be seen on you-tube, GSP, has some great ones, that i do.

Again, depends on what results you want to see, all the cardio in the workout will make muscle mass hard to gain; plus the diet also plays a big factor, as it does in all workouts.

I am actually new at this so could you tell me what is the difference between the back and trap? And what general workout would work either.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

what organic/natural peanut butter are you guys eating?

edit: and where are you buying it?
Probably the best bang for your buck. Whole Foods, 365 PB. I prefer the Crunchy version though. IN DC, it costs, like $1.70. Ingredients, PEANUTS + SALT

365peanutbutter.jpg

Originally Posted by itzbooranss

Anybody got good exercises to strengthen and build muscle in the abdomen, obliques / core?

there is no magical exercise here bro. your gym may have a machine for obliques. If not, then just do crunches.
and oh yeah. diet is KEY to visible abs.

Jack3d recommended? I am on the fence about purchasing... Does it do what is advertised? Does anyone recommend it? How was your experience?

Six Pack in six weeks possible for someone who has a little gut? Tryna get it before school starts

Six Pack in six weeks possible for someone who has a little gut? Tryna get it before school starts

^

I would say no.

I haven't been at the gym in like 6 weeks now
smh.gif

First I had a big test that took all my time and now it's over 90F outside (the warmest in over 70 years here) so I'm trying to spend time outside, been playing soccer though.

I can't even imagine how hot it's at the gym right now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

A personal issue I am having with myself. I t ery well. 5 days out of the week, I am practically flawless. But on the weekends (especially in the summer), I eat like a damn dog. JUst stuff I know I shouldn't be eating.

How much is this hurting me? I strive to be as cut as Bruce Lee, but I know the way I am living isn't right. Some say, "It is ok to cheat 1/2 days per week" but every week? Sure that is cool? I love food
This is one of the reasons that I've always recommended Intermittent Fasting. It allows you to enjoy food when it matters(in company of friends, family, etc.) and you really won't mind eating less on say, the weekdays.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

what organic/natural peanut butter are you guys eating?

edit: and where are you buying it?

Trader Joe's peanut butter, all natural. They have creamy and non-creamy, but i can't find non creamy, at my local tjoes.

Originally Posted by NjCollector

-Monday

-Tuesday

-Wednesday

-Thursday
off- Light cardio-1mile

-Friday

- Satuday

-Sunday

I am actually new at this so could you tell me what is the difference between the back and trap? And what general workout would work either.
Well, the "back" is a array of muscles working in conjunction; while, the traps are 3small muscles that can be targeted with a single exercise.

Back has the doris+teres major, leva. scapulae, rhomboids,traps and the subscapularis(i may be missing 1 or 2 muscles, and the spelling may be off, look online).

Now what you can do is look up on-line what exercises are necessary to target those muscles above. For example, a traps workout can be a dumbell or a barbell shrug, which works out the majority of your traps.

Back
Top Bottom