Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by mcnoodlez

It's about 3 weeks till spring break and I wanna just start burning fat, but still building some muscle. my current workout is muscle building though. Should I go HIIT 3x a week and have it in between days I workout or what? Bc i dont want to stop working out, just maybe less frequently so I could do HIIT more. Or, should i just go hard and do 4 days workout, 3 days HIIT. and do that 7 day schedule until spring break?

I hear you on this but 7 days a week is too much imo, I've heard 15-20 minutes of HIIT post workout will burn fat but it won't kill your muscles.  If I was you I would do your 4 days working out with 2 days where you do HIIT afterwards and on a seperate day with a day of rest before and after I would suggest doing a circuit training workout either with body weight or with a barbell or some dumbells.
Word i may do HIIT right after. I drink a protein shake after my workouts so I assume I should wait 30 mins before doing the HIIT? I do elliptical and it usually lasts 15 mins in the actual cardio minus warmup and cooldown

I've been doing some treadmill prior and after weight lifting (10,10 as opposed to 20min after) and I'm the typical skinny but trying to stay lean whilst building muscle.

Is what I don on the treadmill "HIIT". I do 3 min warm up and then 1min@4 and 1min@9 for about ten mins and cool down for a few mins.
Is that HIIT???

Is it ineffective for me to do this before and after lifting?

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

I've been doing some treadmill prior and after weight lifting (10,10 as opposed to 20min after) and I'm the typical skinny but trying to stay lean whilst building muscle.

Is what I don on the treadmill "HIIT". I do 3 min warm up and then 1min@4 and 1min@9 for about ten mins and cool down for a few mins.
Is that HIIT???

Is it ineffective for me to do this before and after lifting?

What was the reason for splitting it up into 10/10 instead of 20?

Originally Posted by daproblem53

new to this thread im tryna lose my stomach fat/beer belly any tips?

eat less carbs and fat, do intense fat burning exercising which is any intense exercises that exerts roughly 70-90% of your possible effort

Wow...

This is a very informative thread... I only read the last five pages, and so far, it seems like everybody is helping each other out.

I've been working out since Late Nov. Early Dec. of 2008. Started at 238 with a snuggly 36 waist and XXL shirts, and now I am 187 with a very loose 32 waist and wear L shirts (I'm 5'7 BTW). I noticed, it is very hard to lose weight now... I want to be atleast 160 by Aug, and I know I could do it... It is just hard. I know what to do now though. My workout routine consists of 15 minutes of cardio, then 3 lifting excersizes (6 sets of 10 for the first excersize, then 5 sets of 10 for the second, then finally 4 sets of 10 of the last excersize), 15 minutes of cardio again then another 3 lifting excersizes, then finish off with a last set of one 15 minute cardio.. In the last two weeks, I have lost 3 pounds, and it has been great to my goal so far. I have a decent diet, eat atleast 5 times a week, and drink about 64-86 oz of water a day... The sucky thing is my job... No excersize what so ever! I work for Nintendo, so sitting down and playing games all day doesn't help... but so far with my diet, and going to the gym atleast 5 times a week is letting me achieve my goal...

Iono, just wanted to put that out there, lol.

Just a word of advice, don't be over confident when you start to lose weight... I was, so I stopped my old diet for about 2-3 months, and actually gained weight, but slowly. The lowest I weighed was 180...

I revised my workout schedule and came up with the following routine. I am using the iFitness App on my iPhone to keep logs.

Am I doing effective exercises.. etc..? Help Critique this routine..

Day 1: Chest + Abs
Day 2: Arms/Shoulders + Abs
Day 3: Back + Abs
Day 4: Rest (Cardio + Abs)
Day 5: Legs + Abs
Day 6: Chest + Abs
Day 7: Rest (Cardio + Abs)

For Chest:
Barbell Bench Press
Decline Barbell Bench Press
Machine Chest Press
Machine Chest Flye
Cable Crossover
Incline Dumbbell Bench
Parallel Bar Dip

For Arms/Shoulders:
Biceps:
Dumbbell Biceps Curl
Cable Biceps Curl
Barbell Biceps Curl

Triceps:
Cable Triceps Pushdown
Dip
Triceps kickback

Shoulders:
Arnold Press
Bar Upright Row
Machine Lateral Raise
Machine Rear Raise
Machine Shoulder Press

For Back:
Barbell Bent-Over Row
Cable Seated Close Row
Cable Seated low row
Lat Pulldown
One-arm row
T-bar Bent-over row
Back Squat

For Legs:
Machine Leg Extension
Machine Leg Press
Machine Leg Curl
Machine Calf Extension
Romanian Deadlift
Ski Squat (no weights)

For Abs:
Dumbbell Torso Twist
Hanging knee Raise
Ab Crunch Machine
Bench Leg Raise
Ab Crunch on a ball
Hanging Leg Raise
Inclined Reverse Crunch
Kettlebell Russian Twist
Kettlebell Side Bend

For Cardio:
Elliptical (35 mins)
HIIT on some days

Thanks

blaze - only critique I can do is only day 1 and 2. Some exercises that work out the chest also indirectly work out the shoulders. You may not give the shoulders enough time to rebuild when working back to back. Also chest exercises indirectly work out the triceps..which will interfere with your day 2 of arms again.

Originally Posted by Dunks206

Wow...

This is a very informative thread... I only read the last five pages, and so far, it seems like everybody is helping each other out.

I've been working out since Late Nov. Early Dec. of 2008. Started at 238 with a snuggly 36 waist and XXL shirts, and now I am 187 with a very loose 32 waist and wear L shirts (I'm 5'7 BTW). I noticed, it is very hard to lose weight now... I want to be atleast 160 by Aug, and I know I could do it... It is just hard. I know what to do now though. My workout routine consists of 15 minutes of cardio, then 3 lifting excersizes (6 sets of 10 for the first excersize, then 5 sets of 10 for the second, then finally 4 sets of 10 of the last excersize), 15 minutes of cardio again then another 3 lifting excersizes, then finish off with a last set of one 15 minute cardio.. In the last two weeks, I have lost 3 pounds, and it has been great to my goal so far. I have a decent diet, eat atleast 5 times a week, and drink about 64-86 oz of water a day... The sucky thing is my job... No excersize what so ever! I work for Nintendo, so sitting down and playing games all day doesn't help... but so far with my diet, and going to the gym atleast 5 times a week is letting me achieve my goal...

Just a word of advice, don't be over confident when you start to lose weight... I was, so I stopped my old diet for about 2-3 months, and actually gained weight, but slowly. The lowest I weighed was 180...
eek.gif

How?! I'm the same height and 175 and I'm at a size 34 waist.

Excuse me if I make any mistakes...multi tasking right now, lol.

Yours:
Day 1: Chest + Abs
Day 2: Arms/Shoulders + Abs
Day 3: Back + Abs
Day 4: Rest (Cardio + Abs)
Day 5: Legs + Abs
Day 6: Chest + Abs
Day 7: Rest (Cardio + Abs)

Mine:

Day 1: Chest, triceps, abs
Day 2: Back, biceps
Day 3: Shoulders, legs, abs
Day 4: Rest...cardio
Day 5: Same as day 1
Day 6: Same as day 2
Day 7: Rest..cardio

With this lay out, note that you're only working the shoulders and legs once a week. If you're up for it...you can squeeze shoulders and legs into day 5 too.

You also shouldn't work out the abs daily. It's a muscle group and needs time for rest and rebuild.

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Wow...

eek.gif

What he stated was vague.  You don't know his body type, body fat percentage or BMI.  And of course we all have different body builds due to genetics.

This is where it gets good...you need to research different methods to continue losing weight.  I hit a minor plateau at around 170 lbs myself.  (I was originally around 210-215).  I readjusted my diet and found new ways of doing cardio to keep it going.  The lowest I've been was at 140 lbs.  I'm 151 lbs now.  Height is 5'10'' for reference.

im happy Lent is starting this week, get to cut out the fast food and pizza and atleast go without that for a few weeks.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Wow...

eek.gif

What he stated was vague.  You don't know his body type, body fat percentage or BMI.  And of course we all have different body builds due to genetics.

This is where it gets good...you need to research different methods to continue losing weight.  I hit a minor plateau at around 170 lbs myself.  (I was originally around 210-215).  I readjusted my diet and found new ways of doing cardio to keep it going.  The lowest I've been was at 140 lbs.  I'm 151 lbs now.  Height is 5'10'' for reference.

Care to share how you changed it up?

Getting down to 170 was pretty easy. After I reached the plateau, I ate based on my BMR. I pretty much ate at home when I can. I started running for intensity as well. Started skipping ropes. Started swimming. Anything just to mix it up. I became an absolute beast during that time. The worst thing I ate was probably a bowl of chicken with white rice from school.

Blazan if your doing all those excercises you must be an ironman dude, you listed alot of excercises for the week.

My routine is:
Monday - 10 min Ab work (alot of planks, and a back bridge hold for a couple minutes)
Tues - Chest, Triceps, Shoulders
Wendsday - same as Monday
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back, Lats, Biceps, Forearms
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - HIIT for 20 min and 30 min stretching session

Blaze I would just drop a flat bench on decline press and replace it with an incline chest excercise because with all you listed you might end up getting a lot of lower chest muscle an none on top. Just balance it out.

you do a lot of bicep curls I say drop one and add some hammer curls

I hate tricep kickbacks I prefer overhead tricep extensions

everything else looks good.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Anybody know anything about these "vegan" protein powders?

Soy, hemp, rice, pea etc...

Waste of time or what?

wont be as good from a muscle-building perspective as whey protein but they all "work."

i'd go with hemp, soy has phytoestrogens which can lower testosterone levels in men.

if you're doing this for health reasons, keep in mind that whey protein provides a host of nutritional benefits and is more effective than protein powder from any vegan source.
Thanks for the advice.

Any good protein drink recipes?

And when is the most effective time to drink these shakes? Before workout, after workout, before bed?

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Thanks for the advice.

Any good protein drink recipes?

And when is the most effective time to drink these shakes? Before workout, after workout, before bed?
I've been told within 30 minutes after your workout is the best time to have a shake.

i drink one postworkout and pre-bed. the postworkout one is a mix of whey isolate (fast-absorbing) and casein (slow-absorbing). pre-bed is all casein. the postworkout shake stimulates protein synthesis and muscle repair, the pre-bed one provides steady elevated bcaa levels in the blood, which also helps muscle growth and repair and prevents catabolism.

while they aren't "necessary" they work pretty well, especially if you want an easy to prepare, low calorie boost of protein. i would definitely recommend one post-workout, pre-bed is not neccessary, any sort of protein-rich food will suffice. i just drink one then for convenience.

i would also recommend a postworkout meal after the shake- your body needs more than just protein. get some carbs and healthy fats in there as well.

as for recipes, protein w/milk tastes good but it's even better blended with milk, a banana, and ice. you can throw in other fruit, peanut butter, etc. as well depending on your tastes as well as what flavor the protein is.

Excellent info.

Thanks a lot.

Last week was my warm up week as far as nutrition and weight lifting, this week I am going all in.

One more question, if you would be so kind....

My goal is to have a lean, flexible defined and noticeably muscular, fighter type body . I am going to work out for 45 minutes to an hour in the morning, train MA for 1-2 hours (3 days a week) and strength & weight train in the evening for an hour.

Would you suggest cardio/calisthenics in the morning and weight training in the evening? Or vice verse?...Perhaps a mix of both? Will too much cardio (bike/running) eat away at my muscle building gains?

To get a Van Damme, George St. Pierre, Michael Jai White body type what type of schedule and balance of regimen would you suggest?

Who wants to put me on a solid/semi-OD ab workout? I have the flat stomach, and am on the verge of having a 6-pack come summer time, as long as I work out my abs correctly/thoroughly.

Thanks.

For me, what's worked so well are weight decline sit ups, pick up a weight where you can only do 10-12 reps x3 sets. Then I'm off to hanging leg raises, 10x3. With good form, the leg raises are arguably the most effective for me at least. Then i do weighted crunch on a machine. I end with the p90x burnout, but i use a 35lb weight. Sometimes i'll throw in leg raises in V-position with a medicine ball in between my legs. 10x3...those are really good too.

For me the best way I get lean in the midsection is more HIIT or cardio.. rather than force focusing on Abs per se. But in saying that, I usually just do P90x ab ripper X 2x a week, then throw in some bridges, hanging leg raises, weighted decline situps - nothing special

The way it works is, to build muscle, you must consume more calories than you burn. To lose weight, you do the opposite.

Cardio won't burn muscle if you eat enough. But since it burns more calories, you'll need to up your caloric intake to compensate.

Say with lifting + normal bodily function, you burn 2500 calories/day. Eat ~3000 and you'll gain muscle at a great rate with minimal fat gains. If you start doing cardio and burn 500 additional calories, now you're not gaining anything, as calories in = calories out.

As for which to do first, I strongly recommend lifting first. Way easier and more effective for me to do cardio after lifting than vice-versa. I put up more weight and can go 100%, if I do cardio first I feel drained and weak and get fatigued quickly.

GSP is not all that big, but Jai White has an insane build. The one thing all those guys have in common is a lean physique, which means a low bf%.

To attain this you can go about it in two ways -

1. Bulk up quickly, with some fat gain being inevitable. Then, when you get a solid amount of muscle mass, get on a caloric deficit in order to shed some fat (aka a "cut").

2. Bulk up more slowly, with a less radical increase in calories (maybe 300 more calories than you burn/day). You will gain muscle at a slower rate, but you will also gain little to no fat. Once you get used to the whole routine, it becomes easy to recognize changes in body composition and tweak your diet/caloric intake accordingly.

Most people go for the second route, with the exception of bodybuilders.

Keep in mind that a lot of these celebrities you see have physiques that took years to attain with the help of top nutritionists and personal trainers. Not to mention steroids are very prevalent in celebrity culture......from Sylvester Stallone to Bruce Lee to 50 Cent (allegedly), a lot of these guys have taken gear at some point.

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes.....once you see some progress it becomes addicting.

I have tried to follow this thread but only got to page 30ish and just stopped reading.
I will start again, this has reach 200 pages, and I'm sure I can learn a lot.
I think I will set this as one of my tabs or homescreen so I'm forced to read this daily.

Back
Top Bottom