Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They may be bad *** in the cartoons and books, but it's the movies that matter, and all they've done in those is sit around in a big room while the galaxy went to **** under their nose.

One of the reason I don't understand why the CW mircoseries isn't canon is because it really details Anakin and Sidious' relationship and showed Anakin struggling with the Darkside.

Also made General Grievous look like a complete bad ***, washing Jedi left and right. :smokin

Mircoseries>>CGI series

Anakin was easily swayed to do Sidious bidding is from day one he showed total faith in Anakin while the Jedi would scold him. Anakin resented the Jedi and how they couldn't love.

Great to see some honesty here. I knew some of y'all loved those prequels.

Back when the prequels first came out, everybody loved them. Especially that first one, they were like the pod racing was so awesome! The last light saber fight with Darth Mall was great!!!
I wouldn't say that everybody "loved" them, but back then I remember my friends and I being a lot more positive about it.  I thought the pod-race was cool (at the time) and the final lightsaber battle was awesome.  Remember, it was the sort of fighting that we had never seen in a Star Wars movie before.  And of course, we were all fascinated by the Vader-story.  

Then, as years went by... when we started to view the movie from a more objective perspective... only then did I start to see more of the valid faults.  

Fast-forward 16 years, I was still super-excited about TFA... I really enjoyed it (probably still have my fanboy hat on), but given what we know about the prequels and how those turned out, I guess our expectations for any new SW movie will be more reserved.  Who knows, years down the road, I might have a different view on TFA. 
The Jedi Order is like the Manitowoc County justice system.
mean.gif
 @ those people...

One of the reason I don't understand why the CW mircoseries isn't canon is because it really details Anakin and Sidious' relationship and showed Anakin struggling with the Darkside.

Also made General Grievous look like a complete bad ***, washing Jedi left and right. :smokin

Mircoseries>>CGI series

Anakin was easily swayed to do Sidious bidding is from day one he showed total faith in Anakin while the Jedi would scold him. Anakin resented the Jedi and how they couldn't love.

That's another thing; the microseries was specifically meant to bridge the gap between II and III and it makes clearer the intentions, motivations, and development of the characters. If you didn't watch it back in 05, you simply missed out.

It introduced Grievous in the craziest and most horrific possible way by having him murk multiple Jedi, showed off the actions of damn near every Jedi during the war, built upon Anakin and Palpatine's relationship, showcased Anakin's struggles with the dark side in a very thoughtful and touching way, hell Palpatine was kidnapped in the last episode in order to set up ROTS :lol: Palpatine had his hand on Anakin since he was nine, is implied to have taken part in or be complicit in his creation, and yall think he wouldn't trust him?

All with very little dialouge. :smh: I care little about the prequels but the value of that series with regards to the mythos and the movies themselves should not be looked at so dismissively

Last edited:
And I was right about The Force making you a better pilot. "You must have Jedi reflexes". :wink:
Seems you were lost on what we were talking about.

It wasn't that having the force made you a better pilot it was if the force made you a pliot at all.

The force doesn't just info dump skills in to your mind to make you a pilot. That was the argument.

Of course having the force has been clearly stated to make you have some form of precognition, better reflexes, and reaction time. That was stated in episode I when they were talking about Anakin being a pod racer.

Last edited:
I finally cracked and saw the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" after dreading how bad it would be (which had resulted in my hold out until I could see it with all of my family together). Warning... semi-long rant that could be much longer follows. I actually don’t know why I wrote this here (probably just because I knew there was a Star Wars thread on Niketalk). Also, I respect everyone's opinion... and do understand how people could like the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII". I do not, however.

Summary: As a big fan of the Star Wars films, I am very disappointed (but not at all surprised) to say that I dislike the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII”. Setting this film/new trilogy/series further in the future (say, 100-1000 years) may have worked better… but I knew Disney couldn’t resist trying to appeal to the fans of the original trilogy by cutting out connections to it (i.e. original cast members, similar scenes/objects, etc.). This has led to an unjustifiable state of affairs in the Star Wars galaxy as it appears in the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII” in a very short amount of time (20-30 years) that I cannot agree with or support as a fan.
Before I even read your spoiler, do you miss George or something?

Constantly referring to the movie as " the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII” is incredibly salty like this is not official or canon. I know I've across ppl who say it doesn't count if George isn't involved only dealing with the 6 movies, ppl who say only the OT and the books count, books/OT/cartoons, etc.

So is that what this is?

What was the name of that UK company that makes those really cool sith and Jedi jackets? I can't remember them now but they've been posted in here a few times.

I finally cracked and saw the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" after dreading how bad it would be (which had resulted in my hold out until I could see it with all of my family together). Warning... semi-long rant that could be much longer follows. I actually don’t know why I wrote this here (probably just because I knew there was a Star Wars thread on Niketalk). Also, I respect everyone's opinion... and do understand how people could like the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII". I do not, however.

Summary: As a big fan of the Star Wars films, I am very disappointed (but not at all surprised) to say that I dislike the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII”. Setting this film/new trilogy/series further in the future (say, 100-1000 years) may have worked better… but I knew Disney couldn’t resist trying to appeal to the fans of the original trilogy by cutting out connections to it (i.e. original cast members, similar scenes/objects, etc.). This has led to an unjustifiable state of affairs in the Star Wars galaxy as it appears in the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII” in a very short amount of time (20-30 years) that I cannot agree with or support as a fan.
Before I even read your spoiler, do you miss George or something?

Constantly referring to the movie as " the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII” is incredibly salty like this is not official or canon. I know I've across ppl who say it doesn't count if George isn't involved only dealing with the 6 movies, ppl who say only the OT and the books count, books/OT/cartoons, etc.

So is that what this is?

George Lucas is the creator of Star Wars. He had a hand/the ability to fully control the canon up until Disney purchased the rights a few years ago. He had NO hand in the film that just released.

I am not a Lucas "stan"... there are plenty of things that I wish had been different, but I can try to rationalize the few gripes I have with what he did.

I cannot rationalize/reconcile what I saw in this latest film. I anticipated this, but I tried to be open-minded. I cannot accept it. So, I am drawing a line that makes as much logical sense as possible... I feel that it is justified because, as I said, Star Wars is George Lucas' creation.

So, to answer your question... I guess you can put me in the "Lucas must have touched it/must have been done under Lucas' watch" category (not counting EU stuff that he "sort of" approved of by allowing it). That would include all of the 6 films, Ewok Specials, Clone Wars film/series (as discussed above... definitely should be considered canon if it isn't), etc. Everything of that nature prior to 2012 when Disney took over. Just not the Holiday Special. I wish it didn't have to be that way, but it is what it is. If Lucas would have been involved/had control over the canon in this latest film, it would have been tough to swallow... but I guess I would have because it was/is his story. But there is no way he would have done this (see stories on Lucas' "discomfort" with many of Disney's choices).

I finally cracked and saw the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" after dreading how bad it would be (which had resulted in my hold out until I could see it with all of my family together). Warning... semi-long rant that could be much longer follows. I actually don’t know why I wrote this here (probably just because I knew there was a Star Wars thread on Niketalk).

I had avoided all spoilers/trailers/previews of any kind as best as I could... but I could not avoid seeing a recovered Darth Vader mask, knew that the primary members of the original trilogy's cast would be in the film, and Disney... so, I anticipated something worse than Indiana Jones "4". While I will not go as far as to say that the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" was as bad as the monstrosity that is Indiana Jones "4", it was fairly close.

As one of the biggest fans of the original 6 movies (all of them, original trilogy and prequel trilogy; strictly canon only (minus Holiday Special); I did not put much stock or interest into the Expanded Universe beyond playing/owning many Star Wars games), I do not plan on watching the next films in this "trilogy/series". I may consider watching any future films that deal with the events prior to Episode I, but I cannot see myself buying into any more of the supposed storyline that follows this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII".

I have many issues with this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" that I will not go into. I have not kept up with this or any Star Wars thread at all (see above; no spoilers)... so many of them may have been mentioned, although my brief reading of the past few pages show that many people in here actually seem to have liked the film. I will mention two of my issues by trying to combine/condense/describe them into two main/generalized issues, as I do not wish to go through every single issue that I have with numerous details that are present in the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII” (big and small).

First, this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" is simply a knock-off of Star Wars IV. There are many different "moving parts" and the plot/characters/objects/pace/etc. is obviously not exactly same... but I felt like I was watching a very high end fan film that was attempting to remake Star Wars IV with all of the subtle (and painfully not so subtle) references (note: obviously, there were references to other parts/scenes of some of the other films... but the Star Wars IV vibe was certainly the strongest). I could go on for hours about every single thing wrong with this, but I won't. It simply felt like a bad version of something I'd already seen before. The lack of creativity must have been intentional, as it was probably done to draw casual fans of the original trilogy back into the fold (although it seems they shot themselves in the foot by killing off one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, character of the old trilogy in a nearly emotionless fashion).

Second, this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" requires a belief that the events that took place at the end of Star Wars VI (i.e. the destruction of the Galactic/Imperial Empire, Anakin Skywalker fulfilling a 1000 year old prophecy by bringing balance to the Force (i.e. destroying the Sith)) were not as "galaxy-altering" as they were built up to be or that things simply went VERY bad for the victorious Rebellion (on behalf of the rest of the galaxy subject to the Galactic/Imperial Empire) in 20-30 years. I will never believe either of those alternatives, regardless of whatever half-baked explanation that they attempt to put forth in future films.

I purport that you like the prequels, but not this film, so purport along into another thread and purport some more there. Cuz I don't know what the purport you're talking about, but ok. You didn't like it, not everyone will. Glad you purport the prequels tho. Jar Jar would be purport.

I definitely was being too dramatic with the use of "purport", and I definitely didn't mean to come across as putting down anyone who does in fact like Episode VII, so I apologize for that. I guess I should have posted this in the specific thread for the film... I guess I thought that it had been merged with this thread once the film came out, but it appears that it is still out there (seems there were 2 threads for VII itself)... so I apologize for posting my rant here, as I can definitely see that this thread is probably best left for continuing fans (which I am fine with and respect your choice in that respect).

I am not a fan of Jar Jar, by the way. Episode I is probably most people's least favorite... and I would have to say it is mine as well. However, just because it is my least favorite doesn't mean I don't like it. I recognize Jar Jar as a device to make the film more child-friendly and also an avenue to allow the Gungans to help during the battle of Naboo... and I leave it at that. Beyond that, he doesn't affect the story for me, and I have little issue with the base storyline in Episode I. Jar Jar's reduced role in II and III (and possible cameo in VI if you believe that is him in the Naboo celebration scene) is very welcomed, though.

I finally cracked and saw the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" after dreading how bad it would be (which had resulted in my hold out until I could see it with all of my family together). Warning... semi-long rant that could be much longer follows. I actually don’t know why I wrote this here (probably just because I knew there was a Star Wars thread on Niketalk).

I had avoided all spoilers/trailers/previews of any kind as best as I could... but I could not avoid seeing a recovered Darth Vader mask, knew that the primary members of the original trilogy's cast would be in the film, and Disney... so, I anticipated something worse than Indiana Jones "4". While I will not go as far as to say that the film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" was as bad as the monstrosity that is Indiana Jones "4", it was fairly close.

As one of the biggest fans of the original 6 movies (all of them, original trilogy and prequel trilogy; strictly canon only (minus Holiday Special); I did not put much stock or interest into the Expanded Universe beyond playing/owning many Star Wars games), I do not plan on watching the next films in this "trilogy/series". I may consider watching any future films that deal with the events prior to Episode I, but I cannot see myself buying into any more of the supposed storyline that follows this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII".

I have many issues with this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" that I will not go into. I have not kept up with this or any Star Wars thread at all (see above; no spoilers)... so many of them may have been mentioned, although my brief reading of the past few pages show that many people in here actually seem to have liked the film. I will mention two of my issues by trying to combine/condense/describe them into two main/generalized issues, as I do not wish to go through every single issue that I have with numerous details that are present in the film that purports to be Star Wars “VII” (big and small).

First, this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" is simply a knock-off of Star Wars IV. There are many different "moving parts" and the plot/characters/objects/pace/etc. is obviously not exactly same... but I felt like I was watching a very high end fan film that was attempting to remake Star Wars IV with all of the subtle (and painfully not so subtle) references (note: obviously, there were references to other parts/scenes of some of the other films... but the Star Wars IV vibe was certainly the strongest). I could go on for hours about every single thing wrong with this, but I won't. It simply felt like a bad version of something I'd already seen before. The lack of creativity must have been intentional, as it was probably done to draw casual fans of the original trilogy back into the fold (although it seems they shot themselves in the foot by killing off one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, character of the old trilogy in a nearly emotionless fashion).

Second, this film that purports to be Star Wars "VII" requires a belief that the events that took place at the end of Star Wars VI (i.e. the destruction of the Galactic/Imperial Empire, Anakin Skywalker fulfilling a 1000 year old prophecy by bringing balance to the Force (i.e. destroying the Sith)) were not as "galaxy-altering" as they were built up to be or that things simply went VERY bad for the victorious Rebellion (on behalf of the rest of the galaxy subject to the Galactic/Imperial Empire) in 20-30 years. I will never believe either of those alternatives, regardless of whatever half-baked explanation that they attempt to put forth in future films.

I can respect this as i agree that this movie has many hiccups and the solo death was not needed as hes slated for episode 8 for some reason probably for flashback scenes

You wont fint many objective fans here though but i feel what you are saying

Episode 6 was our childhood happy ending and even in the expanded universe the big 3 lived til the end

But what can you do? Its out of our hands. Disney is gonna do as they please in order to make money.

Ill still watch and hope for the best because im a star wars fan and disney knows we are at their mercy but i see what you are saying

Id love for you to list more of your gripes with the movie.

I jotted down a ton of things I had a problem with just now, but it's pretty raw/not formatted. Maybe I'll post it later.

And I'm glad you understand. I have just chosen to draw a logical line in the sand here, as I discussed above.

Last edited:
Saw the movie.Some things made me think.When Kylo was talking to Vaders helmet and said, "I'll finish what you started." Could it be that his intentions is actually to destroy the dark side? Vader actually turned against Sidius at the end right?Im actually interested in what Vaders intentions were.To turn dark only to infiltrate the dark side? Kylo seems to be a sketchy character torn between the two sides.Could it be he killed his father to gain Snoke's trust??Snoke admitted to FULLY complete Kylos training only after he proved himself because snoke saw the light in him as well.Didnt Kylo say thank you to solo for letting him kill him?He also said he KNOWS what he must do,but doesn't know if he could go through with it?What if in his heart he knows he must commit, but withhold from filling turning into the dark.It would be cool if Kylo ended up killing his father.Killing Luke as well,but only to get so close to snoke because gaining his trust would allow snoke to trust him.Snoke may be so powerful that No one else is powerful enough to match him.So,killing the innocent and killing the light side users may be the only way!yes,one hell of a reach,but the twist would be pretty dam cool.Everybody hating Kylo because he killed all of our beloved characters,only to be the hero and explain his actions in the last episode.Using the dark side against itself only to show that the light is more powerful!!

The problem with the prequels for me is there was no need. We knew everything. So taking three movies to rehash why Vader is Vader was pointless. They explained it all in the original trilogy. So all we got was a bunch of boring nothing characters talking about politics that nobody gives a damn about. The original trilogy worked because it was good vs. evil and characters we could get behind. The prequels were like watching CSPAN. Snooze.

And then George has the audacity to completely ruin the one thing that was at the heart of the original movies, The Force. It used to be something that was all present and lived all around us. In the prequels you had to have a high mitaclorian count. WTF? That's why I love that Force Awakens brought it back to what it was supposed to be.

I can understand why a lot of people on here like the prequels because they came out when you were kids. But when you really break down the prequels they are some of the worst movies made and they look almost faker than the originals. Like we've all heard many times in our lives. More isn't always better and that's all they were. More eye noise to distract you from the fact that they were poorly written, acted and executed.

am i the only one that didnt like the ROTS end fight?

was a bunch of cgi nonsense getting in the way of a meaningful fight 

Man the rots lightsaber fights were the best from anakin chopping off dookus head to mace beating palpatine to the final anakin kenobi showdown. They just shouldnt have cast hayden as anakin

Obi wan was the coldest

The scene where Obi-Wan and Anakin just jump out of their starfighters, lightsabers ablaze, and start murking droids at the beginning of the movie is fantastic :smokin

Obi-Wan is lowkey the hero of the franchise except for in II. Dude was a complete pompous *** in that movie

I hate the "the prequels came out when you were a kid, that's why you don't vehemently despise them" argument
eyes.gif
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

Watch these and tell me that these are still good movies after you watched them. I know they are long but they will shed a whole new light on the prequels and just how bad they really are.

And I already hated the prequels before I saw these so they didn't change my opinion like I was in love with them before.

I try not to over analyze them and just enjoy them for what they are entertainment.

Yea because then you have to pick at each movie because each movie is equally flawed except for empire

Luke was equally whiny as anakin was in a new hope

The problem with the prequels for me is there was no need. We knew everything. So taking three movies to rehash why Vader is Vader was pointless. They explained it all in the original trilogy. So all we got was a bunch of boring nothing characters talking about politics that nobody gives a damn about. The original trilogy worked because it was good vs. evil and characters we could get behind. The prequels were like watching CSPAN. Snooze.

And then George has the audacity to completely ruin the one thing that was at the heart of the original movies, The Force. It used to be something that was all present and lived all around us. In the prequels you had to have a high mitaclorian count. WTF? That's why I love that Force Awakens brought it back to what it was supposed to be.

I can understand why a lot of people on here like the prequels because they came out when you were kids. But when you really break down the prequels they are some of the worst movies made and they look almost faker than the originals. Like we've all heard many times in our lives. More isn't always better and that's all they were. More eye noise to distract you from the fact that they were poorly written, acted and executed.

Trying to dismiss people liking something purely off nostalgia is a weak argument.

Yea because then you have to pick at each movie because each movie is equally flawed except for empire

Luke was equally whiny as anakin was in a new hope

Trying to dismiss people liking something purely off nostalgia is a weak argument.

I wonder if the "The Original Trilogy came out when you were kids, that's why you can't approach them critically" argument would fly here

alls i know is i never go back and watch the prequels...

but i occasionally do go back and watch the original three :\

Back
Top Bottom