SOCCER/FUTBOL/FOOTBALL FOOTWEAR, KITS & GEAR - 2020/21

I know I said I was strictly going to the dark side, but I was finally able to snag a pair of Tiempo Legend 9 in my size and in an AG soleplate so I had to make an exception.

IMG_3862.jpg

Any word if the 98 R9 mercurials will retro again soon for the 25th anniversary? The first retro no 12/12.5. When they went up on ID I waited too long and they sold out😳

Any word if the 98 R9 mercurials will retro again soon for the 25th anniversary? The first retro no 12/12.5. When they went up on ID I waited too long and they sold out😳

There's going to be a 25th anniversary colorway but I think it's going to be something more similar to the 2002 WC colorway. This is what FH has on their site on the release calendar.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 093809.png

About a month ago I came to shoot and got a sharp pain in my heel. Since then my foot is in mad pain. I wake up in the morning and can’t walk on it for like 20 mins.

I was rocking the legend 7s and was wearing them the day of the injury.

Since then I’ve copped the premiere 3s and really like them. But my foot is messed up. From what I read it’s “plantar fasciitis “ and I’m doing the “Giovanni” stretches every morning when I wake up, but this is brutal. I attribute the injury to the crappy sole plate of the legends.

Not gonna cut it bro, we need a full SR4U type video. Plus match highlights.

My pair gets here this week. Since we are both Merc men, your opinion on them will be needed

Dang, I would really like to accommodate that request…

Ended up playing RWB in men’s 7v7; lost 0-1.

The boots were good, a pleasant surprise, but had some positives and negatives. Size-wise I got them in a US12–same size as my Mercs. In the length, they were spot on. However, the toebox is extremely low profile, so I felt like especially the tips of my big toe and toenails were really constricted/crushed/jammed. This loosened up as we got into the game and the boots broke in a bit, and by their nature they’re a knit upper so that will shift and expand a bit to accommodate my foot shape with more wear. It was unexpected just how very “low profile” they are. Some people will love and appreciate that; I still prefer the current Merc foot shape with an ever-so-slightly raised toebox.

The AG plate was very pleasant on a newish 4G AG pitch (no black pellets). I really appreciate the stiffness of the Mercurial (and I’ve previously absolutely loved the Speedflow) on soft to firm ground, but on AG the AG plate hit the right blend of “just enough” while still being comfortable and secure; especially over 35 now, I’m extremely anti-injury and would defer to almost anything in the interest of just not getting hurt. I felt both secure and capable in the AG plate on its intended surface. The AG plate is slightly stiffer in comparison to the FG plate too, which is unsurprising given it’s a thicker/harder plastic to withstand the higher friction/heat on the pitch.

The outsole shape is nice, the stud configuration doesn’t result in any hot spots. It’s very secure, and does what it’s intended to. The lack of a dedicated heel counter is a bit of a trip, and the boots immediately feel like they’re just a sock because of the lack of structure. With grip socks (Falke), I didn’t have any slippage issues, and with laces tied tight I had no internal foot movement.

Short of the pressure on my big toe / toenail, they disappeared quickly and I forgot I was wearing them (which is what you want the best boots to do). The grip element didn’t seem as pronounced as as has been hyped, IMO, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a particular function of playing on an AG pitch and how everything gets just a little bit dirty/grimey. I’ll give them a wash and see if some of that initial tackiness out of the box comes back.

It’s nice being back in a true “all knit” boot, akin to a Superfly IV or even moreso a Magista Obra from the 2014 era. The texture/feel of the upper is just a hair less loose/unstructured/pliable than what I remember of the Obras. Love the flyknit racer multi-color throwback. That aspect in particular gives this pair bonus points for me.

Probably a solid 7.5/10 for me (I’m a conservative rater). Enjoyable, will definitely continue to use them. Fairly unique on-foot experience. Far superior to its prior iterations in the Phantom Vision 1 and 2.

If anyone has any specific questions, happy to answer.

Attachments

• 59A4365D-54A5-4740-9A38-A9A6607967E0.jpeg
    59A4365D-54A5-4740-9A38-A9A6607967E0.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 165
  • 9AD8615D-BFEF-43E1-AA28-E7D121C6DFB3.jpeg
    9AD8615D-BFEF-43E1-AA28-E7D121C6DFB3.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for the review, that’s disappointing about the grip being overhyped. I feel the same about the Zoom unit in the Merc, both of which were raved about by reviewers.

Also it’s official, the Tiempo legend 9 will be the last one with leather of any kind. Resale prices are gonna be high for them

Edit: nothing said about the Premiers

Last edited:
Looks like I'm done with Nike if this is true. Gonna load up on some Premier's and ride those out until I'm done playing. Wish they would just use cow leather instead of just trying to make their own synthetic leather. I gave the new Vapors a try and while they aren't horrible they just don't feel right. I can't imagine I'd be in love with any of their other boots either. Places likes Oregon and California ruining leather boots for everyone. Meanwhile Aussies are begging for people to eat Kangaroos. Unfortunately that's where California draws the line, but will brutally slaughter all other animals lower on that pyramid.

Nike To Stop Using K-leather For Its Boots

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, that’s disappointing about the grip being overhyped. I feel the same about the Zoom unit in the Merc, both of which were raved about by reviewers.

Also it’s official, the Tiempo legend 9 will be the last one with leather of any kind. Resale prices are gonna be high for them

Edit: nothing said about the Premiers

TBH, I note and appreciate the zoom unit; just takes a degree of weariness or fatigue directly out of my calves in particular. Nothing "performancing enhancing" in the moment on the pitch, but I (think I) can recognize the difference afterwards.

Ok so I mean I might still give Nike some run, I gotta admit I love trying to new boots. But just don't get moving away from leather completely, PUMA too. At least Adidas moved to cow leather and tbh I'm sure they are fine, however they can't seem to produce AG boots and when they do they aren't true AG. I might give the Copas a try at some point if they hit discount seeing as the studs are at least half conical.

Back
Top Bottom