So is graduating with a low GPA the end of your life?

Originally Posted by Furrell

No but if you planned on going to grad school, kiss that goodbye.

WRONG.

GPA only holds bearing in potential scholarships.

Work in the field that you want to get your masters in.  Do well in what you do.  Your references and letter of recommendations will trump your GPA and you will get in.  (trust me - 2.5 high school GPA, 2.5 undergrad GPA, 4.0 masters GPA)

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

WRONG.

Work in the field that you want to get your masters in.  Do well in what you do.  Your references and letter of recommendations will trump your GPA and you will get in.  (trust me - 2.5 high school GPA, 2.5 undergrad GPA, 4.0 masters GPA)
Aye, don't talk to me like that slime.

What exam did you take and what were your recommendations like?

WRONG.

No. Nobody has ever asked to see my GPA. Depends on your field.

No. Nobody has ever asked to see my GPA. Depends on your field.

WRONG.

Pretty much spot on from all the research I've been doing.  You might not get into the top 5s in your respective field, but you'll find a school that will accept you.

WRONG.

Pretty much spot on from all the research I've been doing.  You might not get into the top 5s in your respective field, but you'll find a school that will accept you.

I'm an Econ Major and my GPA has been @#$% due to a plethora of Cs in Organic Chemistry, from when I used to be a Bio Major 
sick.gif

My work ethic is NOT the problem...

I've been getting some A's and mostly Bs also got 2 C's in Econ classes...One C last quarter cause half the damn final was an essay about relating some Shakespeare story to one of the class topics (I, along with plenty of other students, only studied what was on the syllabus and got @#$@#$
laugh.gif
) Another C because the final for that class was a one 5 part question. Mixed up 2 of the numbers on the first part and bombed the whole final, dropped my grade from a B to a C+. Could have been worse if not for the fact that my professor gave me alot of partial credit for getting most of the procedures/calculus right.

Right now I'm BARELY pulling a 3.0. I know it's not all bad but this quarter I'm taking the hardest econ courses available in the major (they're required) and I might get 2 more Cs as well...professor only gives out 5% As and 15% B's
frown.gif

I feel like if I go through all these explanations in a job interview though, I'll just sound like I'm making excuses for mediocrity. But I KNOW I'm far more intelligent than my GPA suggests. I understand all the material in my courses but always make a few dumb @#$ mistakes/overlook one "minor" detail/ get unlucky, which throws my entire quarter down the drain. I'm worried as hell about this @#$%
tired.gif

I'm an Econ Major and my GPA has been @#$% due to a plethora of Cs in Organic Chemistry, from when I used to be a Bio Major 
sick.gif

My work ethic is NOT the problem...

I've been getting some A's and mostly Bs also got 2 C's in Econ classes...One C last quarter cause half the damn final was an essay about relating some Shakespeare story to one of the class topics (I, along with plenty of other students, only studied what was on the syllabus and got @#$@#$
laugh.gif
) Another C because the final for that class was a one 5 part question. Mixed up 2 of the numbers on the first part and bombed the whole final, dropped my grade from a B to a C+. Could have been worse if not for the fact that my professor gave me alot of partial credit for getting most of the procedures/calculus right.

Right now I'm BARELY pulling a 3.0. I know it's not all bad but this quarter I'm taking the hardest econ courses available in the major (they're required) and I might get 2 more Cs as well...professor only gives out 5% As and 15% B's
frown.gif

I feel like if I go through all these explanations in a job interview though, I'll just sound like I'm making excuses for mediocrity. But I KNOW I'm far more intelligent than my GPA suggests. I understand all the material in my courses but always make a few dumb @#$ mistakes/overlook one "minor" detail/ get unlucky, which throws my entire quarter down the drain. I'm worried as hell about this @#$%
tired.gif

I'm sure there are schools that will still take you with a 2.5-2.9 GPA. He will have to amaze in his interviews and recommendations, but it is doable

I'm sure there are schools that will still take you with a 2.5-2.9 GPA. He will have to amaze in his interviews and recommendations, but it is doable

WRONG.

"slime" ... take it easy with that non-sense...

Scored high on my exams (always have) and had great recommendations

WRONG.

"slime" ... take it easy with that non-sense...

Scored high on my exams (always have) and had great recommendations

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

What school with a good reputation would take someone with a low GPA especially when they put so much emphasis on their statistics? It doesn't mean that they are a bad student because doing poor in a couple classes can wreck your GPA. Why would you rack up debt going to a lower end school though? Your law degree/MBA from Northwestern Oklahoma State is worthless.

What school with a good reputation would take someone with a low GPA especially when they put so much emphasis on their statistics? It doesn't mean that they are a bad student because doing poor in a couple classes can wreck your GPA. Why would you rack up debt going to a lower end school though? Your law degree/MBA from Northwestern Oklahoma State is worthless.

To answer your question: many schools. GPA is only one criteria in the admissions process. Test scores, recommendations, statement of purpose, work experience, etc. count a lot.

The more difficult problem is finding someone (much less three people) to write a good recommendation when you are a 2.0 student.

To answer your question: many schools. GPA is only one criteria in the admissions process. Test scores, recommendations, statement of purpose, work experience, etc. count a lot.

The more difficult problem is finding someone (much less three people) to write a good recommendation when you are a 2.0 student.

I have a shade under a 3.0 GPA mainly due to me screwing up my freshman and sophomore years but I have a 3.5 in my last two years so I think that is beneficial to demonstrate my growth as a person and academically.

I think once I put the time in studying for the GMAT and/or GRE that will put me over the top to get into some schools.

I have a shade under a 3.0 GPA mainly due to me screwing up my freshman and sophomore years but I have a 3.5 in my last two years so I think that is beneficial to demonstrate my growth as a person and academically.

I think once I put the time in studying for the GMAT and/or GRE that will put me over the top to get into some schools.

You should be fine. I don't know how far along you are in school, but you may be able to bring your GPA back up.

If you want to pursue further education, you'll have to do better on whatever test you take for it (MCAT, GMAT, whatever). The application process involves a few different elements so bombing one doesn't rule you out completely.

As for jobs, your resume doesn't have to include your GPA. Some applications ask for it, and if they do, so be it. As said before, if you can just get a decent first job some how, then your GPA is pretty much history.

You should be fine. I don't know how far along you are in school, but you may be able to bring your GPA back up.

If you want to pursue further education, you'll have to do better on whatever test you take for it (MCAT, GMAT, whatever). The application process involves a few different elements so bombing one doesn't rule you out completely.

As for jobs, your resume doesn't have to include your GPA. Some applications ask for it, and if they do, so be it. As said before, if you can just get a decent first job some how, then your GPA is pretty much history.

Back
Top Bottom