So I Just sent my Calc professor an... interesting... email. What y'all think?

So I've had my fair share of not-so-good professors but my Calc professor this semester takes the cake.  I have always been pretty good at Math and was even contemplating minoring in it so my 62 in the class is kind of... alarming, but not so much when the class average is a D.  Our second exam is Thursday and I couldn't take it any longer and had to get this off my chest so I went ahead and sent him this e-mail, and yes it is a big block of text... Come at me bro... :

Hello Prof. XXXXXX, I am just e-mailing you to comment on my experience so far in your Math 211 'Calculus for Applications' course.  I am not writing this in an attempt to insult you or your intelligence (seeing as your knowledge of the course has proven a definite level of intelligence), rather alert you to some issues that should be alarming to you.  As I am preparing for the second exam to be given in two days I am realizing that your teaching style has once again left me unprepared for the task at hand, much like the first exam, which numerous classmates told me they felt equally unprepared.  I was able to learn more in the 30 minutes I spent watching Calculus how-to-videos on YouTube than the two months I have spent in class.  I have found that you prefer to spend a whole class doing examples of problems rather than explaining the concepts and why we do certain things; this makes the prospect of gaining a desirable grade on the exams and being able to use Calculus concepts further down the road in our academic and professional careers, laughable.  The excuse that we should've taken Math 115 isn't acceptable due to the fact that 115 isn't a prereq necessity.  I have shown examples of problems we've had to my mother, a Mathematics major, and she has shot me looks of confusion and asked what it all means.  Also on numerous occasions other students and I have requested that you slow down and you usually do for a couple of minutes before returning back to a speed at the board that is extremely difficult to observe while listening to the lecture.  In addition, during this week's exam review and the review for the first exam you have spent the majority of the class telling us what will not be on the Exam and doing problems that won't be on the exam rather than helping us prepare for what IS on the exam.  I will be taking the second exam and I have no plans on withdrawling from this class as I believe I can manage to squeak out with a passing grade, and I wish not to waste both my time and my parent's hard earned money by leaving a class more than half-way through the semester.  Once again, I am not writing this to insult your intelligence, rather offer constructive criticism from my experience so far in the semester.  Have a good day and I will see you on Thursday for the exam. 
-Glenn XXXX

Cliffnotes:
-Calc professor blows
-Only have three grades in class, all being exams
-Doesn't prepare you for exams
-Just does examples
-Recently gave us a worksheet with 13 problems and if we don't get every single one right we get a 0 in the class and if we get everyone right we just get to keep our grade, it doesn't help

So my question is: Did I go too far?  Anyone else had experiences like this?

Please feel free to use this post as an excuse to show off your latest Rebecca Black inspired 'Did Not Read' .gif

So I've had my fair share of not-so-good professors but my Calc professor this semester takes the cake.  I have always been pretty good at Math and was even contemplating minoring in it so my 62 in the class is kind of... alarming, but not so much when the class average is a D.  Our second exam is Thursday and I couldn't take it any longer and had to get this off my chest so I went ahead and sent him this e-mail, and yes it is a big block of text... Come at me bro... :

Hello Prof. XXXXXX, I am just e-mailing you to comment on my experience so far in your Math 211 'Calculus for Applications' course.  I am not writing this in an attempt to insult you or your intelligence (seeing as your knowledge of the course has proven a definite level of intelligence), rather alert you to some issues that should be alarming to you.  As I am preparing for the second exam to be given in two days I am realizing that your teaching style has once again left me unprepared for the task at hand, much like the first exam, which numerous classmates told me they felt equally unprepared.  I was able to learn more in the 30 minutes I spent watching Calculus how-to-videos on YouTube than the two months I have spent in class.  I have found that you prefer to spend a whole class doing examples of problems rather than explaining the concepts and why we do certain things; this makes the prospect of gaining a desirable grade on the exams and being able to use Calculus concepts further down the road in our academic and professional careers, laughable.  The excuse that we should've taken Math 115 isn't acceptable due to the fact that 115 isn't a prereq necessity.  I have shown examples of problems we've had to my mother, a Mathematics major, and she has shot me looks of confusion and asked what it all means.  Also on numerous occasions other students and I have requested that you slow down and you usually do for a couple of minutes before returning back to a speed at the board that is extremely difficult to observe while listening to the lecture.  In addition, during this week's exam review and the review for the first exam you have spent the majority of the class telling us what will not be on the Exam and doing problems that won't be on the exam rather than helping us prepare for what IS on the exam.  I will be taking the second exam and I have no plans on withdrawling from this class as I believe I can manage to squeak out with a passing grade, and I wish not to waste both my time and my parent's hard earned money by leaving a class more than half-way through the semester.  Once again, I am not writing this to insult your intelligence, rather offer constructive criticism from my experience so far in the semester.  Have a good day and I will see you on Thursday for the exam. 
-Glenn XXXX

Cliffnotes:
-Calc professor blows
-Only have three grades in class, all being exams
-Doesn't prepare you for exams
-Just does examples
-Recently gave us a worksheet with 13 problems and if we don't get every single one right we get a 0 in the class and if we get everyone right we just get to keep our grade, it doesn't help

So my question is: Did I go too far?  Anyone else had experiences like this?

Please feel free to use this post as an excuse to show off your latest Rebecca Black inspired 'Did Not Read' .gif

No, professors/teachers need to know this stuff. If no one tells them, they'll never realize that their methods suck....

No, professors/teachers need to know this stuff. If no one tells them, they'll never realize that their methods suck....

You have to get all 13 problems right or you get a 0 in the class?
indifferent.gif

Go to the dean of the college he's in immediately..

indifferent.gif

i had a religion teacher like this..

i think the email put him in place..

definitely need the an update though to see how this works out..

i had a religion teacher like this..

i think the email put him in place..

definitely need the an update though to see how this works out..

I feel it is more effective to e-mail the head of the department, in this case mathematics, to voice a complaint about a professor. That way they are aware of an issue in teaching, and as complaints begin to mount, are able to look into the issue.

The teacher may, however, decide to give everyone a mark on a curve, and may not have known to consider that option unless you had e-mailed him/her.

I feel it is more effective to e-mail the head of the department, in this case mathematics, to voice a complaint about a professor. That way they are aware of an issue in teaching, and as complaints begin to mount, are able to look into the issue.

The teacher may, however, decide to give everyone a mark on a curve, and may not have known to consider that option unless you had e-mailed him/her.

Here are some of his RateMyProfessor blurbs:

"ABSOLUTELY THE WORST PROFESSOR AT TOWSON. Knows Calculus but has NO idea how to teach it. You would get a better understanding just by reading the text book, which is also near impossible. Don't waste your time or money enrolling in his class."

"Worst teacher I have ever had. Can't explain anything because he does know how to do it himself, he will get half way through a problem and then just say you can figure it out. Wont answer questions. The only help is he sends you past test to study from. DON'T TAKE HIM!"

"Worst teacher ive ever had. mumbles to himself while writing equations on the board that you cant see cause hes blocking them. doesnt explain how he went through the problem, and when you ask him he gives a long, confusing, seemingly irrelevant answer."

"WORST TEACER EVERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Here are some of his RateMyProfessor blurbs:

"ABSOLUTELY THE WORST PROFESSOR AT TOWSON. Knows Calculus but has NO idea how to teach it. You would get a better understanding just by reading the text book, which is also near impossible. Don't waste your time or money enrolling in his class."

"Worst teacher I have ever had. Can't explain anything because he does know how to do it himself, he will get half way through a problem and then just say you can figure it out. Wont answer questions. The only help is he sends you past test to study from. DON'T TAKE HIM!"

"Worst teacher ive ever had. mumbles to himself while writing equations on the board that you cant see cause hes blocking them. doesnt explain how he went through the problem, and when you ask him he gives a long, confusing, seemingly irrelevant answer."

"WORST TEACER EVERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You must not go to a state school if "examples" as the sole form of instruction are in anyway new to you.

You must not go to a state school if "examples" as the sole form of instruction are in anyway new to you.

Originally Posted by AJChick23

indifferent.gif

Yea that sounds incredibly ridiculous & illegal. Go to the dean ASAP. this professor is nuts

Originally Posted by AJChick23

indifferent.gif

Yea that sounds incredibly ridiculous & illegal. Go to the dean ASAP. this professor is nuts

Depending on the professor's personality, this could come back to haunt you. As stated already, that email is better geared toward the head of the department.

Depending on the professor's personality, this could come back to haunt you. As stated already, that email is better geared toward the head of the department.

Yeah I was going to e-mail the head of the department pending his response. In class today there was a kid who wasn't there when the problem set was handed out and he asked me what it was and when I explained it he busted out laughing. I then explained that I wasn't kidding and was given the stoneface with the quickness. And yes, of course I'll be updating you guys on what goes down.

Yeah I was going to e-mail the head of the department pending his response. In class today there was a kid who wasn't there when the problem set was handed out and he asked me what it was and when I explained it he busted out laughing. I then explained that I wasn't kidding and was given the stoneface with the quickness. And yes, of course I'll be updating you guys on what goes down.

post if he ever replies back..I think it's good you let him know. 
Most professors/instructors I've had I just dealt with it..oh well. 
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom