So, I just bought a MacBook Pro. Should I return it?

I don't think the 1.6GHz i7-720QM or the 1.73GHz i7-820QM processors are going to be in the new macbooks. If they are in there say goodbye to battery lifeand say hello to lot's of heat. Apple would have to do a redesign just to add some fans to keep everything from overheating.

If anything Intel will have to give them some kind of custom chip that boosts performance but keeps things relatively where they are battery and heat wise now.

Originally Posted by derventa

[pc user] Buy a windows machine that cost $1000 less and has 2x the processor and ram[/pc user]
whats a pc?

pc= personal computer.......thats what i consider my macbook to be.

17f15eef5d29ae0cc1f690900885ad0795d7add.gif

[pc user] Buy a windows machine that cost $1000 less and has 2x the processor and ram[/pc user]

15dec9ihavsf35.jpg

idk
but seriously im sure windows has similar software to fit your needs & you really would have gotten a 2-3x faster machine for like 1/2-3/4 the cost

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Why do people insist on doing important work on a laptop. Desktops are far more superior.

The whole i7 thing in laptops isn't that great the 4 year old core 2 duo your mac book pro came with should be able to handle what your doing.

The i7 experience on a laptop isn't anywhere near what it is on a desktop. Due mainly to the better specs that desktops can have over laptops. i7 processors like the 920 paired with 6 or 12gb of 1600 DDR3 memory, an SSD and a 5890 gpu>>>>> any laptop.
Your argument is outdated. This used to be more of an issue a few years ago. The MBP wascreated for this reason...to do professional type work and to utilize Pro apps (Aperture, Logic Pro, FCS, etc, etc). Some people use their MBP's as mobilesupplements for their Mac Pros. Some of the movies that were created utilizing FCS had pre-production done on site with MBP's. So please stop your argumentnow, it is ludicrous.

Originally Posted by airforce416

15dec9ihavsf35.jpg

idk
but seriously im sure windows has similar software to fit your needs & you really would have gotten a 2-3x faster machine for like 1/2-3/4 the cost
Windows does have similar software, but i don't have the time to learn new software when i already know how to use Logic studio, aperture andCS4.

heres something posted on mac rumors from today:

Chinese site PCOnline.com.cn (viaHardMac) leaked details about the upcoming Gulftown 6-core processor that is expected to be used in Mac Pros in early 2010. The processorhas been previously referred as the Core i9, though it seems it will instead be designated an extreme (X) Core i7.

The slide confirms that the new processor will be based on a 32nm process with 6 cores and 12 threads. This means a dual configured Mac Pro will have 12physical cores and 24 logical cores. Also revealed is that the processor will reach a frequency of 3.33GHz. This new 6-core processor should arrive by March2010, giving a possible timeframe for the next Mac Pro refresh.

I`m looking for a new Laptop prolly some time next year, and I was thinking about a Macbook or MB PRo or something. I dont do anything on the computer besidesSurf the Net, Music, and homework, I was just looking for something to last, so If I could get one of these current MBs or MBPs for the low I Was thinkingImight as well get one.

Originally Posted by brrraptors

Chinese site PCOnline.com.cn (via HardMac) leaked details about the upcoming Gulftown 6-core processor that is expected to be used in Mac Pros in early 2010. The processor has been previously referred as the Core i9, though it seems it will instead be designated an extreme (X) Core i7.

The slide confirms that the new processor will be based on a 32nm process with 6 cores and 12 threads. This means a dual configured Mac Pro will have 12 physical cores and 24 logical cores. Also revealed is that the processor will reach a frequency of 3.33GHz. This new 6-core processor should arrive by March 2010, giving a possible timeframe for the next Mac Pro refresh.
But thats the Mac Pro. I have no desire to get a Mac Pro. It's either the MBP or the new 27' iMac.

my mom is actually on her way to apple to get me a 15 inch macbook pro for xmas
laugh.gif

Bottom Line...
Should i get it or wait for the new ones to drop?

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Originally Posted by brrraptors

Chinese site PCOnline.com.cn (via HardMac) leaked details about the upcoming Gulftown 6-core processor that is expected to be used in Mac Pros in early 2010. The processor has been previously referred as the Core i9, though it seems it will instead be designated an extreme (X) Core i7.

The slide confirms that the new processor will be based on a 32nm process with 6 cores and 12 threads. This means a dual configured Mac Pro will have 12 physical cores and 24 logical cores. Also revealed is that the processor will reach a frequency of 3.33GHz. This new 6-core processor should arrive by March 2010, giving a possible timeframe for the next Mac Pro refresh.
But thats the Mac Pro. I have no desire to get a Mac Pro. It's either the MBP or the new 27' iMac.
my bad i didnt catch that it wasnt MBP

Originally Posted by airforce416

15dec9ihavsf35.jpg

idk
You got this from Engadget, didn't you?
laugh.gif

If you got a 13 inch, don't worry about it. If you got a 15 or 17 inch, I would consider returning it. The core i5/i7 processors will be coming to alllaptops at the beginning of next year, and apple will definitely be throwing them in their MBPs. They have a lot of improvements over the core 2 duos in thecurrent ones.

buddy...

if you DON'T need a laptop GET the new iMac! BUT wait until the issues are sorted out and buy FROM apple not anywhere else because there are some hugeproblems with the initial shipment from screen gradients being off to them just not turning on. keep your ear to the ground on the iMac situation.

i say buy direct from apple because they stock only the newest revision of anything they sell...

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Looked up the 27" iMac video in situation, and it looks like there are some limitations as to how you can use it.
Apple Insider chronicled their efforts confirming that Apple's new 27" iMac can only be used as an external display for devices designed to provide DisplayPort video. You're out of luck if you're hoping it would work with equipment supporting VGA, DVI, or HDMI output.
Source: http://modmyi.com/forums/...imitations-revealed.html

grin.gif

Yeah I have a new iMac and video output is still being worked on in order for sound and full HD to work on an iMac. But everything else to use asa secondary monitor, etc. works perfectly fine. If you do plan on getting an iMac and have the extra money, I would go for the Quad-Core. BUT, you should waituntil all the minor problems the iMac's have been having from screen twitching to yellow tinging on the screen. I was fortunate not to have any of thoseproblems.

If you don't need portability, then the 27" iMac is something I would definitely consider.

Just keep the damn thing. There is always going to be a new model/revision coming out. If you wait and buy the new model, you're going to hear a rumorabout a revision/price drop coming out in a month or two and you'll be in the same spot you are now. Does the MBP you currently have work? If yes, thenjust keep the damn thing.

i got my 13" 2.26 mbp for $750 during the summer when it first came out.
-$100 student discount
-flip the free itouch for $250

upgraded my ram to 4gb myself for ~$60 which took 3 minutes, all yall pc users mad cuz mac does it better
laugh.gif

here's a just updated link with some additional information about the i7, OP
http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/12/i7-980x-is-the-six-core-processor-not-the-rumored-i9/

so we're lookin at a little before march, so i guess if you wanna wait and you really need the upgrade, but also you'd be lookin at def a heftier pricetag for sure

Originally Posted by kien

i got my 13" 2.26 mbp for $750 during the summer when it first came out.
-$100 student discount
-flip the free itouch for $250

upgraded my ram to 4gb myself for ~$60 which took 3 minutes, all yall pc users mad cuz mac does it better
laugh.gif

here's a just updated link with some additional information about the i7, OP
http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/12/i7-980x-is-the-six-core-processor-not-the-rumored-i9/

so we're lookin at a little before march, so i guess if you wanna wait and you really need the upgrade, but also you'd be lookin at def a heftier price tag for sure
can you still do what you did to get it for 750?

Back
Top Bottom