So How Will Josh and Joe Smith's Jersey Read This Upcoming Season?

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Wow. They're going to have their last name, and their jersey number, and that's it. NBA stopped putting people's initials on the jerseys. If people have different numbers, that's what separates them.
Ok I didn't know that part. Thanks for actually explaining.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

LOL SO because I make a post I have the potential to lose sleep?

- thats NT for you. any thread you make it automatically means you're making a big deal about it, losing sleep, etc... (word to Dear Winter).

- last i checked a message board is used for casual conversation. whats annoying are the morons just looking for laughs, and any conversation requiring anythought (no matter how small) is you making a big deal about something.

This is why you have numbers on the back, it won't matter if they both say 'Smith', the statistician goes by the number, so do we.

Ray Allen

picimgbostoncelticsvs95.jpg

Tony Allen

tonyallen.jpg

everyone in here is hella young obviously.

they don't remember the years when they used to differentiate players with their first initial on their jersey if there were people with the same last nameon the same team.

Smith only, i cant remember the last time i saw 2 first name initials and the last name on a jersey.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

they don't remember the years when they used to differentiate players with their first initial on their jersey if there were people with the same last name on the same team.
This is exactly what I was thinking

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Wow. They're going to have their last name, and their jersey number, and that's it. NBA stopped putting people's initials on the jerseys. If people have different numbers, that's what separates them.
Ok I didn't know that part. Thanks for actually explaining.
It didn't occur to me right away either, but that must be right. At one point last year, the Clippers had 3 guys on the team with the lastname "Davis" (Baron, Ricky and Paul). All the jerseys just said Davis. Putting the first initial was actually kind of silly if you think about itsince the players are automatically distinguished by number anyway. This is especially true in the NBA, in which the players arguably are the easiest toidentify because they don't wear hats or helmets.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

they don't remember the years when they used to differentiate players with their first initial on their jersey if there were people with the same last name on the same team.
Or people just pay attention and realize that this hasn't happened in years.

I'm lost. What is the significance of both players' first names starting with the same 2 letters?

DC, you thanked someone for explaining, but I never saw your explanation.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

I'm lost. What is the significance of both players' first names starting with the same 2 letters?

DC, you thanked someone for explaining, but I never saw your explanation.

OK, here's the explanation. Back in the day, when two players had the same last name, like Johnson, the team would put their the first initial of theirfirst names on the jerseys, along with the last name, in order to distinguish them. So, you would have, for example, E. Johnson and V. Johnson. If players hadthe same last name and same first initial of the first name, then you would get the first two letters of the first name and the last name on the jersey. To usethe Tim/Tyrus Thomas example -- Ti. Thomas and Ty. Thomas. I can't recall a situation where players had the same last name and same first two letters ofthe first name and, apparently, neither could DC -- hence his question in this thread. The explanation that DC referred to in his later post is the fact thatNBA no longer uses this convention and now just puts players last names on jerseys, even when there is more than one player on a team with the same last name.

Been watching too many classic games?

I don't think I've seen first initials on jerseys of teammates with the same last names in at least a decade.

Originally Posted by Yoda

OP, I see what you're saying..

He'll probably have Joe Smith on the back of his jersey.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

People really think that to solve this minuscule problem, they would put a players full name on the back of their jersey?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Sharp Nike Man

They have different numbers.....

I dont get why people answer with this. When has there ever been a time in sports that people wear the same number on one team? When?

I wasted a solid 10 minutes trying to find a recent example. I was hoping Bobby Jackson's jersey used to say "Bo Jackson" and I just forgot, butno luck.

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Originally Posted by Sharp Nike Man

They have different numbers.....

I dont get why people answer with this. When has there ever been a time in sports that people wear the same number on one team? When?
They post this because they're trying to say that that's how people will tell the Smiths apart (by their number), and there will be noneed to add initials on the jersey.

Back
Top Bottom