Snowboarders Please Enter..

Jesus man First season and already 5 boards?:wow: I've had like 4 boards my entire 13 years in this thing:lol:

But anyway great on having a Burton place nearby. All i got is a North Face outlet near me but I never really dug their stuff. All I'm really looking to get new is some pants that look like legit denim. if anyone knows some brands that have those let me know, I know 686 has them as my current pants are denim but they're super baggy. I've gotten more fit and the style isn't that baggy anymore

Cop some analogs papi. Best pants in the game. I've had mine like 3 years. Tough as nails, not baggy and look like denim.

Taking my lady up to reno in a few weeks and we both want to try snowboarding. were both new to it and was curios to know if it is better to rent gear down in the bay or better to rent up in reno before hitting the mountain for some lessons?

Feedback is greatly appreciated

Taking my lady up to reno in a few weeks and we both want to try snowboarding. were both new to it and was curios to know if it is better to rent gear down in the bay or better to rent up in reno before hitting the mountain for some lessons?

Rent at mels cotton. Or sports basement.

Real talk, how do you guys layer and keep warm without being overly bulky?

haha, I just asked in the Black Friday thread about any Eastbay deals so I can scoop up a bunch of cold gear under armor. I usually just wear snow socks and compression shorts, but I definitely need to step up to cold gear versions because I still get pretty cold since I don't want to be overly bulky :lol: I was hoping that would be enough rather than wearing sweats underneath or something.

I just wear some wicking base layer on my legs always and sometimes just my snow pants on top of that or it's it's real cold some sweats under too(joggers for less bulk). Top I wear another wicking shirt then a hoody and a jacket depending on the temp. Sub 20 degrees I throw on a balaclava. Tow rope keeps you roasting usually so that's all I wear.

My roommate hit the closest park to the crib yesterday that opened. Like 400 people were there. Where I got my pass hasn't opened yet. I think I'm going to hit something Friday though. :pimp: one place by me stays open till 3am.

Last edited:
Snowboarders and skiers - for someone that hasn't tried either, which one would be easier and more fun? Headed to Hokkaido this dec and we have 3-4 days in the slopes.

I've been reading that skiing is easier to learn, but harder to master. While snowboarding is harder to learn and easier to master. I dont plan on mastering any, just want to have fun and not fall too much. Any input is appreciated. Thanks! 

If it's your first time and you want to have a casual fun day, then I'd highly recommend you try skiing. Snowboarding requires a lot of patience and perseverance. You will fall a LOT learning how to board and it can get discouraging at times. It's also VERY painful.

Skiing is better for first timers, because you're standing in a natural position and using both feet independently from eachother. Learning to snowboard is basically learning to stand side to side with your feet and balancing your weight, while adjusting pressure on each foot.

Take it from someone who snowboards very often during the winter--You're better off skiing if you want to enjoy a few days up the mountains. If you really want to try snowboarding, then try it out the first day and see if you like it.

Better off renting in shops around or close to the mountain. It's ALWAYS more expensive to rent from the ski resort.

Real talk, how do you guys layer and keep warm without being overly bulky?

It's actually very easy.

http://theskimonster.com/blog/posts/how-to-layer-properly-for-skiing-or-snowboarding/

Basically all you need.

Important thing to remember is always go as light as you can. The heavier your layers, the worse off you'll be. I've always been good with just a simple base layer, then a thin mid-layer and then my jacket. If it ever got too hot, I'd open the vents in my jacket or lose the mid layer.

The Nike ProCombat stuff works GREAT. Now that I think of it, all my baselayers are from Nike ProCombat :lol:

Last edited:
^agree. New snowboarders can get super frustrated and it just ruins the whole day. It sucks for everyone too. That's not really something you learn with the whole squad. You just have to go out with another dude to help you who hopefully is a good teacher.

exactly what ELJEFE said. those two are perfect. their prices are like an 8th of what you'll find on the mountain. they have locations everywhere on the bay so one should be fine. Pleasant hill's is the one closest to me

You guys start hittin' the slopes yet? Barely any snow here in my area

Luckily me and my friends all started at the same time, so we were all getting owned together 
laugh.gif

Going way up north tomorrow for the weekend. They get hella snow up there from Lake Superior. Locally not really. Like once and I was getting rained on, it finally cooled off though so I'll be hitting it hard soon.

Man went for the first time earlier this month. Dying to go again. When's a good time to purchase gear and a board for next season? Thinking of just getting some now but don't know where to start.

Been snowboarding twice at the Snow bowl in Flagstaff, AZ. Had a great time both times, would go more often if it wasn't so damn expensive. Renting the equipment drained my wallet real quick

Man went for the first time earlier this month. Dying to go again. When's a good time to purchase gear and a board for next season? Thinking of just getting some now but don't know where to start.

mid march. If you have a discover card, use the price protection and buy now since pretty much everything goes on sale in 90 days.

I bought all my stuff in January (Snowboard, bindings, boots, goggles, helmet, jacket, snow pants) for a lil under a grand.

Never got back with a report

Snowboarding first time was a blast with my lady

We got to Mt Rose a 25 minutes before the lessons we supposed to begin but somehow missed the class smh. So rather then sit for 3 hours waiting for the next one we learned ourselveves on the bunny slope.

Luckily the mountain was empty and the folks working were really helpful

Was intimidated looking down the bunny slope :smh: because getting strapped in was such a pain then I went down the slope with out falling even managed to carve a little bit.

Loved it so much we stayed for 4 hours and now the misses is hooked as well

thanks gents for the advice and help

went for the first time this season two weeks ago. still got my mojo going after a terrible snow output last season in Tahoe. Still need to buy new pants though. I hadn't bought a new season pass yet because I haven't been able to go up but usually I get the college pass with no blackout dates. thing is I just graduated this semester so I thought I was SOL until I bought a new car literally yesterday in Reno (specifically to go up boarding easier) and Subaru gave me two free season passes to Sierra At Tahoe. winng
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom