Should auto manufactures retro car models?

Creative idea, however i don't see many people buying retro cars. There is already a low demand for them now, and they're dirt cheap. Doubt anyone would spend 20-30k for a 60-80's style car.

wut?

Unfortunately, i don't care enough about this topic to go into further detail. Sorry.

I can tell.

:lol:

he's right though... there isn't much demand and aside from a few models, old cars are pretty damn cheap.

where are you guys located? Around my way there's very few reasonably priced muscle cars. Just recently the Camaros sky rocketted and the corvettes dropped like crazy.

30K is the low end of what a restored or good condition original 2dr chevy will go for, even more if it's a SS or higher trim.

pro touring models go for 50K+

those are just your semi rare popular Chevys with a limited package.

Original Yenko Camaros pull 200K+ everyday and twice on Sundays.

I believe a Shelby (think 1965) sold for 5.2 million or something like that.

Midwest :smokin

30k is a hell of alot less than a "retro" car would cost if manufacturers sold them.

Pro-tourers and Resto-mods are expensive because they're all one off builds customized to the owners specs and tend to use a ton of custom fabbed parts.

The only people buying Yenkos and and Shelbys are Baby Boomers who view it as an investment and keep the car in storage 99% of the time. Top of the line limited edition models are a terrible gauge when estimating the value of a car. I swear the growing popularity of Barrett Jackson in the early 00's is one of the worst things that happened to the classic car market.... Has everyone comparing their run of the mill to the most expensive model sold.

6cyl muscle cars are great to buy and swap... They're cheap and plentiful... this may not appeal to people who want a collectors piece, but it's a great option alot of people tend to disregard because of "Muh numbers matchin " and "Muh cullekturz edishun". Dont get me wrong, I like preserved and restored old school cars in their original trim... but there's something a appreciate a lot more about a car that was built... they're representative of hotrodding and muscle car culture at their core... not just some showpiece owned by old fat guys.

Creative idea, however i don't see many people buying retro cars. There is already a low demand for them now, and they're dirt cheap. Doubt anyone would spend 20-30k for a 60-80's style car.

wut?

Unfortunately, i don't care enough about this topic to go into further detail. Sorry.

I can tell.

:lol:

he's right though... there isn't much demand and aside from a few models, old cars are pretty damn cheap.

where are you guys located? Around my way there's very few reasonably priced muscle cars. Just recently the Camaros sky rocketted and the corvettes dropped like crazy.

30K is the low end of what a restored or good condition original 2dr chevy will go for, even more if it's a SS or higher trim.

pro touring models go for 50K+

those are just your semi rare popular Chevys with a limited package.

Original Yenko Camaros pull 200K+ everyday and twice on Sundays.

I believe a Shelby (think 1965) sold for 5.2 million or something like that.

Midwest :smokin

30k is a hell of alot less than a "retro" car would cost if manufacturers sold them.

Pro-tourers and Resto-mods are expensive because they're all one off builds customized to the owners specs and tend to use a ton of custom fabbed parts.

The only people buying Yenkos and and Shelbys are Baby Boomers who view it as an investment and keep the car in storage 99% of the time. Top of the line limited edition models are a terrible gauge when estimating the value of a car. I swear the growing popularity of Barrett Jackson in the early 00's is one of the worst things that happened to the classic car market.... Has everyone comparing their run of the mill to the most expensive model sold.

6cyl muscle cars are great to buy and swap... They're cheap and plentiful... this may not appeal to people who want a collectors piece, but it's a great option alot of people tend to disregard because of "Muh numbers matchin " and "Muh cullekturz edishun". Dont get me wrong, I like preserved and restored old school cars in their original trim... but there's something a appreciate a lot more about a car that was built... they're representative of hotrodding and muscle car culture at their core... not just some showpiece owned by old fat guys.
View media item 989830

dankenstien88 dankenstien88 Idk how to reply without quoting everything, The midwest is a lot better of a market than California is.

Another problem with a one of build is that it's worth what the owner wants. Which could be too much, but usually with these builds they're up there in how much money was invested in it.

I'm not comparing a Yenko or Copo Camaro to a run of the mill 6 cyl but what I'm saying is those go for A LOT of money, if they retroed them they would most likely drop in value like crazy. When I was in middle school I used to go on Craigslist a lot and look for project first gen Camaros. They were decent priced, a shell would run you no more than 1500 or so. Now I'm seeing just the shells alone going for 4-5K. But then again, we can also look at the Corvette which dropped in value.

Plus, let's not forget, Shelbys weren't always what they are today. There was a dealership in my area in the 60's that couldn't give them away. Scrapped a whole bunch of them and now today they're worth lots of money.

edit: Also when it comes to a 6cyl I would never be able to build one, unless I got it really cheap and it was to flip. I wouldn't be happy in a '69 Camaro SS clone if the VIN reads it was a 6 cyl. Hell, I wouldn't be happy in a Z28 clone if the Vin read SS

Last edited:
dankenstien88 dankenstien88 Idk how to reply without quoting everything, The midwest is a lot better of a market than California is.

Another problem with a one of build is that it's worth what the owner wants. Which could be too much, but usually with these builds they're up there in how much money was invested in it.

I'm not comparing a Yenko or Copo Camaro to a run of the mill 6 cyl but what I'm saying is those go for A LOT of money, if they retroed them they would most likely drop in value like crazy. When I was in middle school I used to go on Craigslist a lot and look for project first gen Camaros. They were decent priced, a shell would run you no more than 1500 or so. Now I'm seeing just the shells alone going for 4-5K. But then again, we can also look at the Corvette which dropped in value.

Plus, let's not forget, Shelbys weren't always what they are today. There was a dealership in my area in the 60's that couldn't give them away. Scrapped a whole bunch of them and now today they're worth lots of money.

edit: Also when it comes to a 6cyl I would never be able to build one, unless I got it really cheap and it was to flip. I wouldn't be happy in a '69 Camaro SS clone if the VIN reads it was a 6 cyl. Hell, I wouldn't be happy in a Z28 clone if the Vin read SS

Yeah, the Midwest is a great market for cars in general. Old cars in Cali are extra desirable because they're smog exempt and free of alot of the restrictions put on newer cars.

Funny you mention the Shelbys sitting.. Back in the 70s you couldn't give the Dodge Daytonas or Plymouth Superbirds away and now they're oneof, if not the single most valuable Mopars.

People need to get off that Barrett Jackson mentality numbers matching VIN bs... unless you plan on selling the car at auction it doesn't make the damnedest difference. I've seen plenty of restomods, clones and tributes that are far nicer than anything original.

Last edited:

Yeah, the Midwest is a great market for cars in general. Old cars in Cali are extra desirable because they're smog exempt and free of alot of the restrictions put on newer cars.

Funny you mention the Shelbys sitting.. Back in the 70s you couldn't give the Dodge Daytonas or Plymouth Superbirds away and now they're oneof, if not the single most valuable Mopars.

People need to get off that Barrett Jackson mentality numbers matching VIN bs... unless you plan on selling the car at auction it doesn't make the damnedest difference. I've seen plenty of restomods, clones and tributes that are far nicer than anything original.

:lol: wish someone in my family kept one, or ten of those ultra desirable cars.

To me it's just about not being a poser. No reason to pass off a plain jane Camaro as an SS. I just wouldn't make it an SS clone if I had a 6cyl Vin. Idk if that makes sense and I get a lot of crap for that mentality.

:lol: wish someone in my family kept one, or ten of those ultra desirable cars.

To me it's just about not being a poser. No reason to pass off a plain jane Camaro as an SS. I just wouldn't make it an SS clone if I had a 6cyl Vin. Idk if that makes sense and I get a lot of crap for that mentality.

Meh... I hear ya, but to me the poser is the guy who bought the numbers matching SS for a VIN and a name... not the guy who built his own.

Matching vins is the dumbest thing ever

U think ur not matching vins is gunna matter when u doing burnouts nah b get off ya high horse

U think ur not matching vins is gunna matter when u doing burnouts nah b get off ya high horse

Vins won't match regardless. It's just you're trying to build something it's not. No different than buying a 3 series BMW and puting the M badging on it to me.

if there is one car that needs to be brought back in original form, its this one. dead srs

View media item 990049
:pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

goodness, I love the 3rd gen Z28 :nthat:

Vins won't match regardless. It's just you're trying to build something it's not. No different than buying a 3 series BMW and puting the M badging on it to me.

if there is one car that needs to be brought back in original form, its this one. dead srs

View media item 990049

what year is the model i posted?

i just found it on google

ive always loved the IROC camaros

id love to buy one in pristine condition to drive around in the summer

View media item 990049

what year is the model i posted?

i just found it on google

ive always loved the IROC camaros

id love to buy one in pristine condition to drive around in the summer

either a 91 or 92. Can't tell without seeing more pictures.

there's some REALLY nice IROCs in my area.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4488213568.html

That gen camaro is saddening only 200 something hp

word, but I wouldn't be racing it if I had a good original condition one. Unless I were to get a project one and swap with an LS :pimp:

Stock 200 hp is enough to be fun and have some burnouts, so I wouldn't complain if it were my weekend car.

I just want a BMW Z1
tired.gif

1989-1991-BMW-Z1-roadster-left-front-1-1024x640.jpg

Back
Top Bottom