Should ALL Drugs Be Fully Legalized? vol. Watch the clip - Meth, Heroine, Crack

Originally Posted by Cicero Avenue Dopeman

Legalize controlled substances? The prison industry would collapse and 10s of thousands would lose jobs. So aint gonna happen

Add ; How many dead non drug users does it take to make at least 352bn USD?
I don't think many realize just how humongous the black market in drugs is. There is no one in this world who isn't effected by it.
[h1]Drug money saved banks in global crisis, claims UN advisor[/h1]
Drugs and crime chief says $352bn in criminal proceeds was effectively laundered by financial institutions

• Rajeev Syal
  • The Observer, Sunday 13 December 2009
  • icon_font.gif
    larger | smaller
Drugs money worth billions of dollars kept the financial system afloat at the height of the global crisis, the United Nations' drugs and crime tsar has told the Observer.

Antonio Maria Costa, head of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, said he has seen evidence that the proceeds of organised crime were "the only liquid investment capital" available to some banks on the brink of collapse last year. He said that a majority of the $352bn (£216bn) of drugs profits was absorbed into the economic system as a result.

This will raise questions about crime's influence on the economic system at times of crisis. It will also prompt further examination of the banking sector as world leaders, including Barack Obama and Gordon Brown, call for new International Monetary Fund regulations. Speaking from his office in Vienna, Costa said evidence that illegal money was being absorbed into the financial system was first drawn to his attention by intelligence agencies and prosecutors around 18 months ago. "In many instances, the money from drugs was the only liquid investment capital. In the second half of 2008, liquidity was the banking system's main problem and hence liquid capital became an important factor," he said.

Some of the evidence put before his office indicated that gang money was used to save some banks from collapse when lending seized up, he said.

"Inter-bank loans were funded by money that originated from the drugs trade and other illegal activities... There were signs that some banks were rescued that way." Costa declined to identify countries or banks that may have received any drugs money, saying that would be inappropriate because his office is supposed to address the problem, not apportion blame. But he said the money is now a part of the official system and had been effectively laundered.

"That was the moment [last year] when the system was basically paralysed because of the unwillingness of banks to lend money to one another. The progressive liquidisation to the system and the progressive improvement by some banks of their share values [has meant that] the problem [of illegal money] has become much less serious than it was," he said.

The IMF estimated that large US and European banks lost more than $1tn on toxic assets and from bad loans from January 2007 to September 2009 and more than 200 mortgage lenders went bankrupt. Many major institutions either failed, were acquired under duress, or were subject to government takeover.

Gangs are now believed to make most of their profits from the drugs trade and are estimated to be worth £352bn, the UN says. They have traditionally kept proceeds in cash or moved it offshore to hide it from the authorities. It is understood that evidence that drug money has flowed into banks came from officials in Britain, Switzerland, Italy and the US.

British bankers would want to see any evidence that Costa has to back his claims. A British Bankers' Association spokesman said: "We have not been party to any regulatory dialogue that would support a theory of this kind. There was clearly a lack of liquidity in the system and to a large degree this was filled by the intervention of central banks."

I find it discouraging that all those skeptic about legalizing all drugs fail to realize the principle argument in legalization.

Legalization is a more effective and less volatile approach at drug control than prohibition.

As research has shown in numerous occasiosn legality has very little do with consumption rate (Netherlands? Portugal?)

Legalization does not have to be an endorsement of drugs. I would encourage the govt to educate more than ever about the dangers of hard drugs. People forgetthat others make awful decision to do hard drugs currently under prohibition. But under legalization those who make the awful decision to use these drugs canbuy them legally, perhaps at a non-profit government shop where revenue goes towards stronger education and prevention programs.

PROHIBITION IS is the only way thing that allows cartels to thrive.
Despite what you'd like to believe the idea of backwood cartels competing with any structured form of business, private or govt, is laughable. That'slike cartels making a living undercutting Walmart peddling oranges or something. Or cartels providing bootleg electricity for a cheaper price.

With legalization there will be No border wars, no cartels, no gangs, no opium funded Al Qaeda attacks.

For the person afraid of 14 yr olds getting high, under legalization, like alcohol, it would be illegal for minors to obtain these drugs. Even if they tried,it's harder to get drugs from someone who checks id (I.E. like alcohol), than someone who doesn't care (drug dealers).

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

no. there are not.

especially with respect to detection.
you can detect someone who is driving drunk with a breathalyzer...but for those who refuse that, or those that are under the influence of another drug, you have to get blood drawn...which could take hours...after such time...the drug in question can be out of the person's system. New laws need to be created whereby someone who refuses a breathalyzer can have their blood drawn immediately.

Additionally, the current laws in existence with respect to the welfare of children need to be revisted and looked at so that users of (the now legal)drugs are held responsible to a standard of care.
and I'm sure there are a lot more laws that really need a once over to make sure there are no loopholes created.

so like I said...NO, at least until all other laws are also amended, to minimize the potential harm that will come from legalization

Are you implying that Child Protective Services would hold legal drug users to less of a standard than everyone else? Of course not.

Saying legalization must only concur in conjunction to such provisions is implying Child Protective Services wouldn't otherwise remove a child from anunfit environment.

Do not allow the shock of possible consequences of irresponsible drug use to distract you from the fact that this all currently happens under prohibition. Wealready have public policy to treat these negative consequences you're afraid of. No one is suggesting these new drug users should be any less susceptibleto them.

Regardless, the idea of legalization needs to be centered around a greater emphasis on treatment.

there is no way herion and crack should ever be legalized, although i do feel there is a need to help those addicted and i dont mean sending them to prision.Possibly a forced rehab and forced relocation. I believe in a system where you are not treated like a criminal, but like the addict you are. I think that willgo long way in getting people educated.

sorry for another post, i pressed reply by accident. As for other drugs, something needs to be done about pills because imo, theyre more harnful than any otherdrug because people just dont view them as real drugs. Ive always found it funny that pain killers are chemicaly derived from opium, which itself is illegal,but its ok because there is a profit to be made.

Back
Top Bottom