Sega Dreamcast Appreciation vol. Gone too soon

balloonoboy

Banned
I remember getting a Dreamcast for Christmas in 1999. The joy that ensued when I would play games like Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Ready 2 Rumble, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Super Magnetic Neo is hard to put into words. It was in a way childhood defining. I had never been a gamer or anything, but Dreamcast gave me the leisure of playing for a few hours here and putting the controller down afterwards, without getting inundated with plots and such. And it also brought me and my family closer. I can remember the countless hours we played R2R.

There wasn't amazing graphics or super-dense games but the gameplay was bar-none at the time. I really wish Sega hadn't given up on this system so soon. Of course the Playstations and Xboxes were coming for their neck, but there was definitely a niche market for the carefree gaming the DC offered that could have been catered to at the least. There was so many great games in such a short time. :smh: :frown:

This post has come up numerous times and the past and it's about time for a new one, being on the new platform and all.

What are some of your favorite games and memories of the Sega Dreamcast?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Besides Neo, Xtreme Racer, and Chu Chu Rocket, you have all my faves in that spoiler. I'd add Marvel vs Capcom 2 on there also. Sega didn't give up on Dreamcast though. Playstation basically killed them off because of Sega's bad timing releasing their system. I did feel like Dreamcast's graphics were way ahead of it's time though. They were better than the graphics on a lot of later PS2/XBox releases.

converted alot of psx homies to the dc. they hated on the awesome controller(xbox had to bite smh) with the VMU's, hated on game selection even tho it had the best sports and fighting games on lock. Nothing will come close to giving me the feeling of satisfaction playing Shenmue. I felt like I was in the world. mvc2, powerstone, sonic adventure...amazing games. The short time I had with the DC rivaled my experiance with my PS2. If Sega would have just stuck with it we would have seen some gems and the DC would have gotten much more respect. prob my 2nd fav console of all time next to SNES. :pimp:

9/9/99 .. What a day it was. Love all those paper ads/commercials leading up to it. Still remember the feeling of playing NFL 2Kx online for the very first time. Those VMUs where great, being able to see in game content like play selection was just :pimp:. Sega was always ahead of the game, too bad people couldn't realize what they had.

Sonic Adventure-the last good sonic game.

I HATED Powerstone with a deep passion. Games like that and bloody roar where you just get lucky and become twice as powerful as player 2 are the worst. I'm horrible at fighting games though.

Tony hawks pro skater 2 for dream cast >>>>>>

Nba 2k for dream cast had the free throws done right. They need to bring it back.

Last edited:
Greatest system ever IMO. The Dreamcast failed because it's release timing, lack of DVD playback, and piracy. I remember I used to cop $5 Dreamcast games at the Barbershop with no need to flash a different firmware on the system. Dudes just threw the game on a blank CD-R and was gucci

Greatest system ever IMO. The Dreamcast failed because it's release timing, lack of DVD playback, and piracy. I remember I used to cop $5 Dreamcast games at the Barbershop with no need to flash a different firmware on the system. Dudes just threw the game on a blank CD-R and was gucci
YUP.. 5 DOLLAR CRAZY TAXI AND HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 WERE VITAL... SHENMUE , MVC2 AND 2K WERE ALL HITS... DONT FORGET SKIES OF ARCADIA... DOPE GAME TO PLAY ON THE REMOVABLE VMU IN THE CONTROLLER...

DEFINITELY THE BEST SYSTEM IMO SINCE THE SNES ...

I remember NBA2K and NFL2K on the dreamcast were some of my favorite sports game of all-time

YUP.. 5 DOLLAR CRAZY TAXI AND HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 WERE VITAL... SHENMUE , MVC2 AND 2K WERE ALL HITS... DONT FORGET SKIES OF ARCADIA... DOPE GAME TO PLAY ON THE REMOVABLE VMU IN THE CONTROLLER...

DEFINITELY THE BEST SYSTEM IMO SINCE THE SNES ...

How could I forget. The reason I traded my PSOne to my friend for his DC for a month.

Game was pretty amazing for it's time.

:lol: dont get me started on burnt DC games :wow: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, the 2K series, House of the Dead WITH LIGHT GUN...the Dreamcast was just too good to be true. Hell, I don't even play RPGs (unless Pokemon counts lol) and I played the hell out of Phantasy Star. Still got mine with the blue official controller that only I can use, so there.

Oh, and I can'f forget my favorite ****** game of all time: Zombie Revenge. Boolets. Boolets. Boolets. Shotgahn.
roll.gif

I never had this system, but a friend of mine did and I palyed it from time to time... it was aight.

Dreamcast brings back memories.

NBA 2K and Soul Calibur were pure digital crack. Phantasy Star Online over dial-up too. Lol.

Last edited:

:lol: dont get me started on burnt DC games :wow: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

My boy had hundreds. It was ridiculous

PS2 probably remains my favorite system of all-time (Metal Gear series, God of War, Devil May Cry, underappreciated games like Jet Moto plus GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas) but DC is a close second - the 2K series, House of the Dead, Soul Calibur

I find it hard to get into videogames as much as I did before. Don't know if it's because I'm older or the games just aren't as good. Haven't touched my PS3 in a couple months

Back
Top Bottom