Seattle SuperSonics Thread

Even with the new TV contracts up for negotiations, it's still hard to believe that there will be expansion when you would need at least another team to pair along with the Seattle team to make things square. Where is there another market for a team to not only exist but to thrive in order to justify it's existence? Not to mention discussions about a serious change concerning division alignments (though this isn't as big a problem as it probably was for the NFL in the early 2000s, since divisions mean squat in the NBA).
The NBA has had odd number teams before
If anything, this is Hansen telling the league that it doesn't matter how much it costs, he wants a team. It'll turn heads of the owners that are consistently losing money.
*Herb Kohl or MJ immediately calls Hansen after the meetings on Wednesday* 
laugh.gif

This is also Hansen sending a message that it's relocation or bust. He knows if relocation is turned down his contract with the Maloofs will also be denied. I'll give him this, his relentlessness is admirable :smile:

I realize Stern's word is fairly malleable given what he's said before and not followed through on, but he's been fairly consistent about not considering an expansion team for Seattle:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/29/4284222/kings-sale-sacramento-seattle-david-stern

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/02/16/nba-david-stern-state-of-game/1925229/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...olve-sacramento-and-seattle-fight-over-kings/

I doubt the league would consider an odd-number league again (I imagine scheduling would be migraine), but maybe they wouldn't mind. Who knows.

^ I don't know the finer-details, but that was always my impression of the situation... that Clay set unrealistic/unreasonable demands, which eventually resulted in "Oh well, guess I'll have to move..."
This.
Plus it's funny Kevin Johnson calls Seattle out for poaching when sacremento poached the team from Kansas City in the first place
KC had little support for the Royals/Kings for many years before they were moved. This situation is completely different, especially since KC has expressed little interest in regaining an NBA time the Kings left 28 years ago. It's tough to make the same argument for Sacramento since the city has 2 of the longest sellout streaks in NBA history, and has only had a handful of playoff worthy teams.
KC Baseball Royals, Chiefs, Nascar, Tom Watson, Royals(Kings). That was the order of sports in KC, drawing 4,000-9,000 a game in their last few years there. 

Is it wrong of Sacramento to want to keep this team? Or since it's had a vegabond existence, it is entitled to go to another city?

Justify it however you want. Its funny because Seattle lost the Sonics by way of Bennett/OKC poaching them, they cried bloody murder.

Now they're doing it to Sacramento.
This is also Hansen sending a message that it's relocation or bust. He knows if relocation is turned down his contract with the Maloofs will also be denied. I'll give him this, his relentlessness is admirable
smile.gif
Hansen is too dope, doing what any fan wishes they could do. Hopefully it doesn't burn any bridges with the NBA, but it certainly frames the NBA as the bad guys (as per usual since 08) and makes Hansen look great.
I'm assuming this is Ric Bucher since its on sulia (a pay per click site), so whatever it is I'm just gonna assume it is false.... just like everything else he's reported in his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I realize Stern's word is fairly malleable given what he's said before and not followed through on, but he's been fairly consistent about not considering an expansion team for Seattle:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/29/4284222/kings-sale-sacramento-seattle-david-stern

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/02/16/nba-david-stern-state-of-game/1925229/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...olve-sacramento-and-seattle-fight-over-kings/

I doubt the league would consider an odd-number league again (I imagine scheduling would be migraine), but maybe they wouldn't mind. Who knows.
Even with the new TV contracts up for negotiations, it's still hard to believe that there will be expansion when you would need at least another team to pair along with the Seattle team to make things square. Where is there another market for a team to not only exist but to thrive in order to justify it's existence? Not to mention discussions about a serious change concerning division alignments (though this isn't as big a problem as it probably was for the NFL in the early 2000s, since divisions mean squat in the NBA).
ALL OF THAT

with the talk for years about many NBA teams losing money and not enough talent spread around the NBA why would they add another team?

The plan for this revenue is sharing is that by the end of this TV deal every team that is in the red right now will be in the black by 2016 and earning money instead of losing. Right about the time expansion will be brought to the table and discussed again. And to square things out I'd add a second team to either KC, StL, or try Vancouver again.

Hansen is going to try every Avenue available to him, it would be foolish not to. Upping the deal is just another way to test the owners' commitment to Sacramento.

Upping the bid isnt another avenue. Its been his only avenue. Why would he raise the bid if he is so confident that his binding agreement is going to stand? Why throw out an extra (in total) $65 million if what you have at the original bid is a sure thing?

It's posturing to show he's serious about getting a team. It may not work this time around, but the league cannot ignore a guy willing to throw that kind of money around.

Upping the bid isnt another avenue. Its been his only avenue. Why would he raise the bid if he is so confident that his binding agreement is going to stand? Why throw out an extra (in total) $65 million if what you have at the original bid is a sure thing?

so the NBA knows we real players. he also promised that aslong as the NBA is in seattle it will be putting into the revenue sharing not just getting as much as other teams...

so the NBA knows we real players. he also promised that aslong as the NBA is in seattle it will be putting into the revenue sharing not just getting as much as other teams...
As a 'large market city' wouldn't Seattle already be a revenue sharer? 

or does it just mean that Seattle and Sacramento is in the same revenue receiving bracket?

I thought it was sometime around the 2014 ASG? At any rate, what we do know is that this saga will not be retiring next season. This will conclude during Stern's reign.

It's posturing to show he's serious about getting a team. It may not work this time around, but the league cannot ignore a guy willing to throw that kind of money around.
But he shouldn't have to. He already originally valued the Kings 70% more than their actual worth. That alone is enough to make the other owners turn their heads.

See what I mean?

seriously though, Larry Ellison has to be watching this situation closely.

If Seattle gets the Kings, I expect a team in San Jose in 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom