Seattle SuperSonics Thread

#NBAKings - Kevin Johnson's message to Seattle Sonic fans: "I wanna say this for the folks in Seattle. When I played in the NBA for 12 years, Seattle had some of the best fans in all the NBA and no different than Sacramento - incredible fans. When they lost their team a couple years ago, it was devastating to me. Because those fans fought like crazy, they were rowdy, but they cheered on the home team. And I strongly believe, they do deserve an NBA team at some point - just not ours."

He continued after a brief break to applause. "And I would also caution the folks in Seattle - don't celebrate too early. And because we as a community, we've had the emotional roller coasters. It's hard and it's tough. And I would hate for them to be misled. And at the end of the day, if they don't get a team in the time frame that they want, it's going to be very hard. And I just think for the fans in Seattle, be cautiously optimistic, be smart. This isn't about our city against their city or one mayor against another mayor. We have something that's ours, we want to keep it and we're gonna do everything we can to make Sacramento the final resting place of the Sacramento Kings." — Jonathan Santiago (@itsjonsantiago) January 23, 2013

If we don't get the kings I honestly would not be mad at all or even disappointed. Sacramento has done 99x more than it should have to and it still fights to keep them. Y'all got a good mayor. Keep him

Sacramento Kings hope they have their money men.

by Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports

Published: 01/22/2013 11:36pm

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- As Sacramento officials continue to prepare a counter-offer to keep the Kings from being sold to the Seattle-based group led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, it appears they they have their money men.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, 24-Hour Fitness Founder Mark Mastrov and billionaire Ron Burkle - who is part owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins - are in serious talks to collaborate on a bid to buy the Kings. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the talks. The fact that the two men are willing to join forces is seen as significant by Sacramento supporters. There are five potential owners currently in play, but Mastrov and Burkle are seen as the heaviest hitters among that group.

Burkle is known to be focused on the arena plan that is unfolding at Sacramento's downtown plaza, where the property's new owners, JMA Ventures, have shown an interest in partnering with prospective owners of the Kings on the project. Mastrov made a serious bid to buy the Golden State Warriors before the team was purchased by the Joe Lacob/Peter Guber group in July 2010.

The Maloof family that has a 53 percent majority interest and minority owner Bob Hernreich have reached an agreement with the Hansen-Ballmer group that must be approved by the NBA's Board of Governor's, with the deal set to pay them approximately $341 million for 65 percent of the team (a $525 million valuation). But Sacramento mayor and former NBA point guard Kevin Johson has been told by commissioner David Stern that he still has a chance to save his team if he can provide the funds to compete with the Seattle offer as well as a viable arena plan and present both to the Board of Governors.

Burkstrov bomb? 
laugh.gif

But if those two are the biggest hitters, then that means no Broad or Ellison 
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is a good day.... sucks knowing there will be plenty more ****** days (like Monday), when they file for relocation, when the bidding of the 7% goes down, and the last home game the day before the BoG meeting. But today, I shall enjoy this 
happy.gif

The Kings have been sold to Hansen. If the NBA blocks the sale Hansen can take this to court. David Stern does not want that.

My gut feeling is telling me that the Kings will be in Seattle next year.

Last edited:
The Kings have been sold to Hansen. If the NBA blocks the sale Hansen can take this to court. David Stern does not want that.

is it done deal? i dont understand whats taking so long and putting hope or giving chance to Sac? im confused but unless someone with deep pockets steps up, Kings aint staying.

i just want it done with already

^^^^

The sale needs to be approved by the NBA. I can't see the NBA stepping in and telling owners who they can and can't sell to.

this part confuses me.... Why is Stern even saying this?

Like what does that even mean? A chance? 

especially when its a foregone conclusion that Seattle has the Kings
[h1] [/h1]
[h1]Sacramento Kings hope they have their money men[/h1]
Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports11:36p.m. EST January 22, 2013

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- As Sacramento officials continue to prepare a counter-offer to keep the Kings from being sold to the Seattle-based group led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, it appears they they have their money men.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, 24-Hour Fitness Founder Mark Mastrov and billionaire Ron Burkle - who is part owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins - are in serious talks to collaborate on a bid to buy the Kings. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the talks. The fact that the two men are willing to join forces is seen as significant by Sacramento supporters. There are five potential owners currently in play, but Mastrov and Burkle are seen as the heaviest hitters among that group.

Burkle is known to be focused on the arena plan that is unfolding at Sacramento's downtown plaza, where the property's new owners, JMA Ventures, have shown an interest in partnering with prospective owners of the Kings on the project. Mastrov made a serious bid to buy the Golden State Warriors before the team was purchased by the Joe Lacob/Peter Guber group in July 2010.

The Maloof family that has a 53 percent majority interest and minority owner Bob Hernreich have reached an agreement with the Hansen-Ballmer group that must be approved by the NBA's Board of Governor's, with the deal set to pay them approximately $341 million for 65 percent of the team (a $525 million valuation). But Sacramento mayor and former NBA point guard Kevin Johson has been told by commissioner David Stern that he still has a chance to save his team if he can provide the funds to compete with the Seattle offer as well as a viable arena plan and present both to the Board of Governors.

:lol:

Kings dont have their money men, they got 19 guys to chip in $1 million each

try again.

unless you got a billionaire who wants to own a team in sacramento and spend more money running the team then im sure he would have stepped in months ago.

no idea whats the point in playing this back and forth stuff

laugh.gif

Kings dont have their money men, they got 19 20 guys to chip in $1 million each

try again.

unless you got a billionaire who wants to own a team in sacramento and spend more money running the team then im sure he would have stepped in months ago.

no idea whats the point in playing this back and forth stuff
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What?!? The point of those 20 local folks (that KJ found in 3 days) was to show that there was a strong local interest in keeping the team here. You think Kj is trying to find 400 millionaires? C'mon son, you try again.

Burkle, Mastrov, Broad?, Ellison? those will be the main equity in the deal and the dudes we are counting on.
I'm just gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you didn't read the article I just posted or haven't check twitter in the last 2 hours about Sacramento...

not saying 400 guys to chip in 1 mill each

im saying thats whats happened so far

no one with deep enough pockets its gonna drop the cash, it would have happened already. am i right? i doubt someone will have a change of heart last minute and say screw it, let me throw away 360 million dollars.

plus Stern has no say in the deal anyways. Its all up to the BOG

not saying 400 guys to chip in 1 mill each

im saying thats whats happened so far

no one with deep enough pockets its gonna drop the cash, it would have happened already. am i right? i doubt someone will have a change of heart last minute and say screw it, let me throw away 360 million dollars.

plus Stern has no say in the deal anyways. Its all up to the BOG
Dude, it just happened... did you read the spoiler I just posted or the article??

Burkle+Mastrov is huge. Especially when Mastrov already was close to owning the Warriors. 

Those 19 investors are to show the community still wants the team around. The HereWeBuy grassroots effort shows the fans still want the team around. These two will be shown to the BOG that Sacramento is not only a viable market, but a market that can flourish.

The Whales will be the icing on the cake in KJs plan because, like the Hansen-Ballmer group, we also have an arena plan in place. David Taylor confirmed AEG hasn't backed off the deal that was constructed.

Hansen take Stern to court? Over what?

I hope you're not refferring to the non-refundable 30 million..

Because Hansen has no case when everybody knows every sale is subject to NBA approval since it it a franchise, so a non-refundable deposit is irrelevent.

Because Hansen has no case when everybody knows every sale is subject to NBA approval since it it a franchise, so a non-refundable deposit is irrelevent.

Yes, I'm sure Hansen hasn't thought this through at all. He's just handing over $30 million with no plan beyond that. The guy's only been working on this project meticulously for two years,.

Yes, I'm sure Hansen hasn't thought this through at all. He's just handing over $30 million with no plan beyond that. The guy's only been working on this project meticulously for two years,.

So then explain what kind of case Hansen would have..

Back
Top Bottom