Season-long threads and Game threads: DISCUSS

size twelve:
i think game threads make much more sense, because there are always two teams in a game. i'm one of maybe 5 or 6 pistons fans on this board.. what are we supposed to do on game days? hop around from the lakers thread to the warriors thread to the bulls thread every game? that will eventually create animosity and e-beef, as people end up holding grudges over time - especially when there's a written record of what a given person might have posted. once a game is over, it's over, let it be, and move on to the next.

You're worrying too much about e-beef bro. You won't get hate in the Warriors Season Thread. mjshoefanatic(LA Clipper die hard fan) does this all the time and we don't hate him, it's just friendly banter. We already made it clear with the dude and he made it clear with us... no hate behind the comments. I don't see how mjshoefanatic and size twelve are any different. Just as long as your sn doesn't read "S4L3" and you don't spit blatant hate, then you're cool in my book.

But seriously, you'll only get e-beef if you cross the line. We know that the Pistons, or the Bucks, or the Hornets, etc don't have Season Threads. They have to come to a Season Thread to discuss it. That's cool. I have no problem with that. Most NTers don't have a problem with that. We just want our Season Threads back.

You know though, you can always start your own season thread. The Heat just began their like 3 days ago and really didn't have a chance to pick up momentum. If you were to create an "Official Detroit Pistons Season Thread" and it's successful, then that's cool. If you were to create it and then it floundered, then that's cool too. It's just a way of telling you that your fan base on NT isn't large enough yet. But yeah, who knows, Detroit Piston fans could be waiting in wings for their own Season Thread and before you know it, you got 10+ contributors to the thread. It's fun when you all band together and discuss YOUR team... whether it be as many members of the Lakers fan base or as many as the Clippers fan base (
laugh.gif
sorry mjshoefanatic for the cheap shot).
And I'd like to add that I miss season threads.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Belinelli - Biedrins - Croshere - Davis - Ellis
Harrington - Hudson - Jackson - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright

Can I make a Warriors Road Trip Thread?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIOR S
Harrington Hudson - Jackson - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright

sports forum will get cluttered with garbage threads like the general forum with individual game threads shadowing other topics and making them more difficult to find and contribute to. one season thread is all enveloping and condensed with good info that will tend to get lost much too quickly otherwise

and i doubt most people in this forum are interested in going to other sports forums to discuss their fan ship because they've built a certain familiarity with the posters here. if you're going to suggest something like that, you might as well suggest we disregard this sports forum altogether

TEAMGIANTS
TEAMNEWYORKMETS​
TEAMNEWYORKKNICKS​

I've already addressed this "eyesore" complaint. Since that's all the anti-season thread camp is using as an excuse. Lock/delete the threads after they reach a set limit. It's very simple!
Out

I admit I never saw a thread asking whether game threads, or season threads were better. But Ska and all other Laker fans already know where I stand on this. I was fighting to start a Laker thread a couple months ago. And if you need a reason, someone please tell me how one thread total, is worse than 82 threads started, plus trade threads, injury threads, drama threads, caoches fired threads, management issue threads, history discussion threads, ALL FOR EACH TEAM? All of these are better than ONE thread to encompass it all? Really?

Another point is closing down certain ones and not others makes ZERO sense and is shortsided at best.

So Warriors thread bad, college football thread good?
Suns thread eyesore, SEC season thread not so much?

And why is this such a big deal on S&T when general has threads that DESTROY anything we have to offer. a jewelry thread that has 123 pages and over 3000 posts in a little over 2 months. A video game thread that has 134 pages and 3300 posts, in a little over 2 months. Those guys seem to be able to find what they are looking for in each thread. Nobody had any issues finding what they wanted in the "booty" threads, or the "huge and hugest breasts" threads. I never saw the word eyesore over there, why is everyone reachin for kleenex over here?

Bunch of men arguin over too many pages, it's an eyesore, weh weh weh. But I guess the SIX Patriots themed threads on the first two pages aren't an issue. Or the sure to be passing 6 threads, Laker topics won't be an "eyesore" later. On I'd say Friday afternoon, or Saturday morning we'll have,
College football thread
SEC thread
Fresh's amazingly accurate picks of the week thread
Fresh's fav team will win thread
Fresh's most hated team will lose thread
Whatever is the big game of the week thread
Maybe a Notre Dame thread
The weeks first game that looks like it may be an upset thread

And all the while, what is the very first thread I mentioned? One all encompassing college football thread, that still manages to have 10 different topics going on the same day. That's a much cleaner, much less of an eyesore looking page one right? :rolleyes
eyes.gif
:stoneface:
indifferent.gif
MIAMI DOLPHINS
LA LAKERS
CHICAGO CUBS
MIAMI HURRICANES

^ Glad to see SOMEBODY'S reading my replies.

Mods/Admins... where you guys at?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

One thing I've always had a problem with here on NT is the selective (i.e. phantom) usage of the democratic process.

I was the conducter of the Nuggets' bandwagon last year and I fet I did a good job with updates and such. So what exactly is the problem? Of course, if a thread is poorly maintained or becomes a wildfire (a lot of flaming), then by all means shut it down.

As for the threads being "too much to read through", I have a suggestion: DON'T READ IT. Because the alternative is that the comments don't exist anymore, so you wouldn't even be able to read through it anyway (unless every single game thread gets archived).

Season thread allows fans on this board to relive the emotional roller coaster of the season again. Predictions are documented in there. Changes in attitudes about players or teams are documented in there. Links to YouTube clips and pictures are in there. General quality conversation is in there.

I mean we have a Regional Forum, right? Why not start a team forum, a la Realgm? Really, why not have an official poll? That way the results are documented. I'll take a legit L. But this decision feels like Bernanrd Hopkins' first loss to Jermaine Taylor.
THE ONLY ANSWER FOR MELO IS THE ONE PLAYING RIGHT BY HIS SIDE....
TEAM DENVER NUGGETS
Anthony, Camby, Iverson, Kleiza, Martin, Najera, Nen, Smith​

EFIL 4 REKAL:
It'll just fall off the 1st page anyway so no worries.

That's why a season thread is the way to go. Bulls fans don't have to sort through 431231 topics on NT for their news. They just go to the "Official Chicago Bull Season Thread" and pick up where they left off reading. Very simple.
EFIL 4 REKAL:
I think it was everyday for 4 months last year where the Warriors thread was on the 1st page.

So? That just meant that we had stuff to be reported. Without the Season/Offseason Threads, there would be an INDIVIDUAL thread for every news that we would normally post in a Season Thread. Without the Season/Offseason Threads, there would have been like 5 threads on the 1st page alone dedicated to the Warriors.
EFIL 4 REKAL:
Straight up eyesore.

I see Season/Offseason Threads as a convience to make things easier and apparently those of us who use Season/Offseason Threads agree with me. Why else would this thread still be open and still get NTers opinions on why we want Season/Offseason Threads reinstated?
EFIL 4 REKAL:
Some current sports news could've been in it's place (it probably took up 3 topic spaces).

You do know that the size of the thread doesn't matter. Page 1 of the S&T forum still has the same number of TOPICS/THREADS no matter the size of the threads. Otherwise, you'd get mad when mods/admins makes stickys since they're "taking up space".
EFIL 4 REKAL:
If you're a Lakers fan you can go to Lakersground.net if you're really serious about your fandom. That's where I go to read in-depth discussions and latest news. I'm sure every team has an official/unofficial message board, why not just go there?

I've stated this before already. We're on NT everyday... so having our sports discussions on NT just makes sense. It makes things easier and convienent. Also, we've developed a familiarity with certain NTers who share the same interests as us. GSDOUBLEU, acidicality, Andrew630, daprescription, Enlightened Thought, and the list goes on and on for those NTers who I've developed a relationship/familiarity with. We respect each other's viewpoints and that's a good thing.
EFIL 4 REKAL:
Furthermore, NBA is the easiest game to follow. We all watch the games, we all know who is good, who sucks, who should get more playing time, who should get traded, etc. It's not like y'all are drawing up new plays and asking for fellow NT'ers input before you email them in .pdf format to Pat Riley's secretary. Season threads are 85% babble.

Sounds like you're just salty because you don't have a Season Thread to offer your input?

Babbling? You might want to go check your threads in General. Cereal At Night really deserves a thread? That's a waste of space if you ask me...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Cereal at night? I musta missed that thread. :lol:
laugh.gif

Paul, what if went division thread? We did it in baseball and it was pretty cool. Could you imagine a pacific division thread with all the Lakers, Warriors, Zo, and MJshoefanatic in the same thread daily? :wow:
eek.gif
THAT would need to be sticky'd and archived for the ages. :rofl:
roll.gif
MIAMI DOLPHINS
LA LAKERS
CHICAGO CUBS
MIAMI HURRICANES

Anything that makes for reducing the 8,749 Laker threads we are about to get is a good thing in my book.....

You're the Kind of Girl a Guy Like Me​
Could Hypnotize​

I will also vote overwhelmingly in support of season threads. I don't think ANYTHING going into "ignore mode"). But when little tiny mostly-irrelevant threads are littered on the first page, you have no choice but to read the title of each thread of all these little bits of nothingness. That causes more literal eyesore than anything.

The only thing I don't like about season threads is when "official" game discussion is in the thread, which makes no sense to me if you're a fan of a team that doesn't happen to have a season thread. That's why I think there should be both season threads and game threads. Season thread is for the day-to-day, off-day chatter and game threads are for game-related chatter.

And I will say that I, as well, NEVER saw a true discussion about banning season threads on this board before the decision was made.
Golden State Warriors: NBA CHAMPS 2017

Quote:
I will also vote overwhelmingly in support of season threads. I don't think ANYTHING in NT S&T created more of a sense of "community" than those season threads. Even though I probably only posted in the warriors season thread a couple times at most, I could really feel like posters in there were truly talking like friends and really discussing things as a mini-community. And plus you could simply hype things up, revel in victories or recent success, speculate on the future of the team, etc. without pissing off people with pointless new threads. It sounds corny, but it's true: season threads really fostered a sense of community.
Clutch.ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

END THE SEASON THREAD POSTS!

I usually make the cavs gameday posts and its much better this way. quit complaining man. those season threads are an eyesore! they are hard to navigate for real. if you guys have such a sense of community, then youd all still post in the gameday threads. i know in the cavs ones, its gonna be me, Outacontrol, SJS, and a few other cavs regulars. do you really need a 93 page thread to feel the 'e-community'?? thats just sad then.

the tiny game threads are easier to read and you can still continue talk about whatever else with your 'team community'

the first cavs game thread has 12 pages...after 1 game. i dont want to go thru an 800 page post by the time we are in the playoffs. thats a little much.

STICK TO YOUR GUNS SKA. most of these are just bandwagon warriors fans who had fun near the end of last year and dont want you to rain on their parade.
Official Cleveland Cavaliers Gameday Post-writer

TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
Great season Tribe​

Paul and CP is making very good points. Mods/Admins, please reconsider. IMO, it cleans up S+T alot more than people realize. Many points have been made about the little things being reported. Now, I dont think that will clean up S+T. For Example

1 Kobe Bryant Thread
2 Monta Ellis Injured Thread
3 Golden State Warriors Vs. Doesnt Matter thread
4 Steven Jackson upset with suspension thread
5 Raptors Vs. Nets thread
6 Luke Jackson Cut Thread
7 Andrea Bargnaini for MVP thread ( :lol:
laugh.gif
Clutchshooter, Apocalypz, Freshsince1982, Osh Kosh Bosh, Bobby Analog, RELISHSophisticated
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

belle155:
most of these are just bandwagon warriors fans who had fun near the end of last year and dont want you to rain on their parade.

Hurray for generalizations!!
eyes.gif
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Quote:
Now, with the idea of possibly doing game threads and season threads, or combining the two, would it be a proposed idea to have the home team host the "game thread" in the season thread?
Clutch.ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

"Season Threads clean up S&T alot."
FALSE - Nothin clean about a 58 page thread tryin to find info in one of those. You don't need a seperate "Sam Mitchell says _____" thread because all current events are also talked about in the gameday threads. You keep the convo going til the next gameday thread, then the other one falls off NT. You don't need to start the whole convo/season banter over just because a new gameday post pops up.

"Some of us NTers have a certain way of discussing things with other NTers"
Do you like it like that? Some NTers touch you in ways only they can? IDK Bout that statement.

"For example, Myself, Clutchshooter, Apocalypz, Freshsince1982, Osh Kosh Bosh, Bobby Analog, RELISH, etc. have learned how to discuss topics with each other"
Do you need a cookie for that? How do you "learn to discuss" things. Don't you just do it? you discuss, thats what you do. Myself, SJS, outacontrol, other cavs fans didnt learn to discuss nothin. we like the cavs, we discuss the cavs. you make it sound like you had to take classes for this stuff man.

TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
Great season Tribe​

Quote:
You keep the convo going til the next gameday thread, then the other one falls off NT. You don't need to start the whole convo/season banter over just because a new gameday post pops up

You and I both know that there is always that one fan who keeps dead threads going, for no point at all. But yet, its going to happen, where as season threads wont keep those "dead threads" alive

Quote:
Do you need a cookie for that? How do you "learn to discuss" things. Don't you just do it? you discuss, thats what you do. Myself, SJS, outacontrol, other cavs fans didnt learn to discuss nothin. we like the cavs, we discuss the cavs. you make it sound like you had to take classes for this stuff man
many :smh:
smh.gif
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

Quote:
"Some of us NTers have a certain way of discussing things with other NTers"
Do you like it like that? Some NTers touch you in ways only they can? IDK Bout that statement.

Quote:
"For example, Myself, Clutchshooter, Apocalypz, Freshsince1982, Osh Kosh Bosh, Bobby Analog, RELISH, etc. have learned how to discuss topics with each other"
Do you need a cookie for that? How do you "learn to discuss" things. Don't you just do it? you discuss, thats what you do. Myself, SJS, outacontrol, other cavs fans didnt learn to discuss nothin. we like the cavs, we discuss the cavs. you make it sound like you had to take classes for this stuff man.
Clutch.ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

Quote:
:lol:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
:smh:
smh.gif
laugh.gif

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

I think it bears repeating the suggestion that if "EYESORE" is the biggest problem, then only let season threads run a certain length before locking and starting a new season thread. Although you don't get the "fun" of looking way back to see what you said back six months ago, you still get all the season thread benefits without the eyesore penalty. Seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me.
Golden State Warriors: NBA CHAMPS 2017

Back
Top Bottom