School me on the 06-07 Lexus IS 250...EDIT: I've moved onto the IS 350 now

Damn, you guys convinced me. I've been looking around and you guys are all right. I was able to find some 350's that's pretty close to the price range of the 250. My only problem is that I live in NYC and the winters are brutal on cars over here. It's almost impossible to drive around and not hit or try to dodge a pothole every quarter mile. The AWD would come in handy, but in terms of overall value, the 350 wins.

Damn, you guys convinced me. I've been looking around and you guys are all right. I was able to find some 350's that's pretty close to the price range of the 250. My only problem is that I live in NYC and the winters are brutal on cars over here. It's almost impossible to drive around and not hit or try to dodge a pothole every quarter mile. The AWD would come in handy, but in terms of overall value, the 350 wins.

Originally Posted by Seattle206

Dude, go with the IS350. Trust me, you will probably kick yourself and regret it. At least that's what I hear from 250 owners. Prices for '06 models are pretty darn cheap right now, hell I sold my 2006 IS350 w/45k in immaculate condition for $20.5 last August. I'm sure you can find one for around $18-$20k with lower than 60k miles if you continue to search.

Reasons why I would go with 350>250.

1) Power, even if you're not a speed demon the extra 100hp will romp on the freeway ramps. It's no slouch at all. Its quicker than the G35/350Z. You are not going to get that power from a 250 unless you turbo/supercharge it but with at money you couldve just gotten a factory reliable 3.5 306hp.
2) Less common, not sure about other states but in WA 1 out of 10 IS's are 350's the rest are all AWD 250 models(mostly female driven) but that's from my observation. If you live in a colder state with snow get the 250 then.
3) Bigger beefier front brakes, 350 also comes with more advance VDIM opposed to 250 VSC.

Cons:
1) 350 sucks a little more fuel BUT it is very comparable to the 250 AWD fuel economy. I average 22.5mpg with mixed driving.

2) 350 not offered in manual.

I had my car for over a year before I sold it, no problems, had all the recalls done for free(+ free full tanks of gas each visit and brand new loaner cars to boot).  I havent been following Lexus forums lately but the earlier IS models occassionally had a start-up crank noise its a known issue and I'm sure they have a TSB for it now free of charge.  My car ran smoothly and flawlessy.  I would have to say its the best compromise when it comes to reliablity and luxury without the worries of the things that can go wrong with German cars.  If you want something comfortable and reliable by all means get the IS.

My old 350, all stock except for H&R springs & Ichiba spacers(not pictured).  It came with factory gfx lip and I later added the oem trunk spoiler.

Yeah, I agree with you but my only problem is that it's tough trying to find a 350 that's around the 18-20g price range. I've been finding them to be all 22g and up. Most of which all has high mileage as well (we're talking about over 50-60k)

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

I want to buy the exact same whip. What kind of mileage/prices have you been seeing?

I've been finding a lot of 06-08 models going for $20g and up. Mileage varies really. Most of which are over 60-70k miles.

Besides Cars.com and autotrader, does anyone else recommend another site to look for cars?

Dude, go with the IS350. Trust me, you will probably kick yourself and regret it. At least that's what I hear from 250 owners. Prices for '06 models are pretty darn cheap right now, hell I sold my 2006 IS350 w/45k in immaculate condition for $20.5 last August. I'm sure you can find one for around $18-$20k with lower than 60k miles if you continue to search.

1) Power, even if you're not a speed demon the extra 100hp will romp on the freeway ramps. It's no slouch at all. Its quicker than the G35/350Z. You are not going to get that power from a 250 unless you turbo/supercharge it but with at money you couldve just gotten a factory reliable 3.5 306hp.
2) Less common, not sure about other states but in WA 1 out of 10 IS's are 350's the rest are all AWD 250 models(mostly female driven) but that's from my observation. If you live in a colder state with snow get the 250 then.
3) Bigger beefier front brakes, 350 also comes with more advance VDIM opposed to 250 VSC.

Cons:
1) 350 sucks a little more fuel BUT it is very comparable to the 250 AWD fuel economy. I average 22.5mpg with mixed driving.

I had my car for over a year before I sold it, no problems, had all the recalls done for free(+ free full tanks of gas each visit and brand new loaner cars to boot).  I havent been following Lexus forums lately but the earlier IS models occassionally had a start-up crank noise its a known issue and I'm sure they have a TSB for it now free of charge.  My car ran smoothly and flawlessy.  I would have to say its the best compromise when it comes to reliablity and luxury without the worries of the things that can go wrong with German cars.  If you want something comfortable and reliable by all means get the IS.

My old 350, all stock except for H&R springs & Ichiba spacers(not pictured).  It came with factory gfx lip and I later added the oem trunk spoiler.

Yeah, I agree with you but my only problem is that it's tough trying to find a 350 that's around the 18-20g price range. I've been finding them to be all 22g and up. Most of which all has high mileage as well (we're talking about over 50-60k)

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

I want to buy the exact same whip. What kind of mileage/prices have you been seeing?

I've been finding a lot of 06-08 models going for $20g and up. Mileage varies really. Most of which are over 60-70k miles.

Besides Cars.com and autotrader, does anyone else recommend another site to look for cars?

I feel ya OP I been looking at that exact same car and comparing it to a Acura TSX 2010 which are somewhere in the same price range... Im leaning towards the Acura right now....

I feel ya OP I been looking at that exact same car and comparing it to a Acura TSX 2010 which are somewhere in the same price range... Im leaning towards the Acura right now....

lex IS is a great car

fun to drive, looks great, reliable.

i loved drivin it when my mom had one.

only con..........very compact, tight

lex IS is a great car

fun to drive, looks great, reliable.

i loved drivin it when my mom had one.

only con..........very compact, tight

My girl has one.

IS250 Nav w/ML sound, Memory seats w/power steering wheel, Rain sensing wipers > IS350 bone stock if prices are the same.

Pros
-Interior has quality materials used/good build (everything is soft to the touch)
-Interior is also very ergonomic
-REAL leather seats that are ventilated as well as heated
-Good storage space for waterbottles/drinks/electronics
-Doors/trunk close with an assuring thump
-Interior lights up at night, very inviting
-Paddle shifts are fun but extremely slow (it is a Lex not an M3)
-Handling is amazing (assuming you got the 18" w/PS2s)
-Newer model doesn't come out until MY13 so you'll be driving a newer car for a while
-Dealership experience is great (I sometimes just stop in to grab a pop and doughnut)
-Keyless entry

Cons
-The early builds (2006) had a rattling problem coming from the rear shelf especially when the rear window was open.
-Since the recall work was done the accelerator pedal feels "different" but you won't notice if you haven't driven it before the recall work
-Rear seats are tight
-Front seats don't have allow for a sporty seating position (can lift the hamstring part up that high)
-Nothing else really...it's a great car

My girl has one.

IS250 Nav w/ML sound, Memory seats w/power steering wheel, Rain sensing wipers > IS350 bone stock if prices are the same.

Pros
-Interior has quality materials used/good build (everything is soft to the touch)
-Interior is also very ergonomic
-REAL leather seats that are ventilated as well as heated
-Good storage space for waterbottles/drinks/electronics
-Doors/trunk close with an assuring thump
-Interior lights up at night, very inviting
-Paddle shifts are fun but extremely slow (it is a Lex not an M3)
-Handling is amazing (assuming you got the 18" w/PS2s)
-Newer model doesn't come out until MY13 so you'll be driving a newer car for a while
-Dealership experience is great (I sometimes just stop in to grab a pop and doughnut)
-Keyless entry

Cons
-The early builds (2006) had a rattling problem coming from the rear shelf especially when the rear window was open.
-Since the recall work was done the accelerator pedal feels "different" but you won't notice if you haven't driven it before the recall work
-Rear seats are tight
-Front seats don't have allow for a sporty seating position (can lift the hamstring part up that high)
-Nothing else really...it's a great car

Cons:

4806956269_acd4225a63_z.jpg

4807578782_2cab955e55_z.jpg

2cei8gg.jpg

so after reading this i decided to check craigs to see how the prices are locally and lo and behold look what i find

http://seattle.craigslist.../see/cto/2260785484.html

Cons:

4806956269_acd4225a63_z.jpg

4807578782_2cab955e55_z.jpg

2cei8gg.jpg

so after reading this i decided to check craigs to see how the prices are locally and lo and behold look what i find

http://seattle.craigslist.../see/cto/2260785484.html

I also have a IS350. Great car, bought it a year ago with 29k miles for 23K only options it came with was hids and heat/cooling seats. If i had to pick between a is250 fully loaded or a is350 with no options i would go is350 all day.

Back
Top Bottom