San Francisco Niketalkers, is this really how you guys are living?

^^^^Half of those guys are complaining when they can easily buy in other areas but don't want to. But then there is another part of it that is just the reality of things in SF. Like this quote:

"Michelle, a 28-year-old tech worker who earns a six-figure salary at a data science startup said her only chance of buying a home would be if she combined income with a partner. “For all the feminist movement of ‘you can do it all’, the concept of home ownership is really truly out of reach,” she said. “For me that’s disheartening.”

Even if she made $160, honestly that isn't enough money to get a house. That sounds crazy but she's right. If she had a boyfriend who made the same, then she'd be okay. But then there is a guy in that article that said he worked in Silicon Valley and does a 2 hour commute and looked at a house in Los Gatos.....Milpitas is on the other side and I know it's not the same as Los Gatos but it's cheaper and more affordable.

these people don't want to commute, that's what they get. I'm not losing sleep over them. FOH

I pay $2550 for a one bedroom one bath in the ingleside district ......

I paid $3,600 for a one bedroom in the Mission two years ago.

Jesus Christ. This is exactly why I moved my family out of NorCal last year.

In Fremont, my old landlord's 3 bed/1.5 bath 1100 sq. ft. bungalow went for $800K after we moved out. God knows who bought it, but on a visit up there last weekend we saw that THE HOUSE IS VACANT. Who spends $800K on a house and never moves in???

Meanwhile, $2100 a month got us a 2 story, 6 bed/4 bath 3200 sq. ft. house about an hour outside of LA with a 2 car garage, separate casita, fenced courtyard, fenced back yard high up on a hill with one HELL of a view, anytime access to the HOA rec center, and a pretty stellar school district for the kids.

AND, there's the very within reach goal of actually growing, rather than being stuck running the never ending Bay Area rat race treadmill.

Someone tell me again what's so great about living up north? :rofl:

Last edited:
I'm in my 3rd Texas city. First Houston, then San Antonio, now Austin. Maybe I'll settle down here and get a house.

It's kinda pricey to live in the city; I pay 1130 for a 1 bedroom apt, but it's a very nice unit/complex. Still feels like it's too much though. 3k-4k for rent is laughable. Properties in other states probably trying to figure out how they can get on that level.

Last edited:

these people don't want to commute, that's what they get. I'm not losing sleep over them. FOH
Pretty much. You want the convenience of being near everything without the long commute, expect to pay the high prices. Not hard to understand.

But still am amazed how expensive SF has gotten. I didn't mind the 30-min commute from Daly City into SF.

I live in South San Jose (evergreen/silver creek) . My neighbor and his wife are engineers for Ericsson. (His house a little bigger than mine). He put his house up for rent for 2 years (while he's working in Budapest). He was asking $4950 a month. Even With a price that high, tons of people were still coming by to check it out. I remember a 49er player was looking for a place to rent for his gf, but he said hell nah to that price. It's being rented right now by some family from Dubai.

I live in South San Jose (evergreen/silver creek) . My neighbor and his wife are engineers for Ericsson. (His house a little bigger than mine). He put his house up for rent for 2 years (while he's working in Budapest). He was asking $4950 a month. Even With a price that high, tons of people were still coming by to check it out. I remember a 49er player was looking for a place to rent for his gf, but he said hell nah to that price. It's being rented right now by some family from Dubai.

My parents live in the same part of San Jose. $4950 for an entire house in a high end area like Evergreen is not bad at all compared to how much apartments are going for here in San Mateo :smh: I'm just putting up with the cost because I'm a 10 minute drive away from work. When I was living in SJ, it would take me an hour on a good day to get to work due to the traffic from Evergreen all the way up to Santa Clara :x I was so damn exhausted and stressed every day that I had to make the move despite how much more I have to pay here.

Last edited:
My parents live in the same part of San Jose. $4950 for an entire house in a high end area like Evergreen is not bad at all compared to how much apartments are going for here in San Mateo
mean.gif
I'm just putting up with the cost because I'm a 10 minute drive away from work. When I was living in SJ, it would take me an hour on a good day to get to work due to the traffic from Evergreen all the way up to Santa Clara
sick.gif
I was so damn exhausted and stressed every day that I had to make the move despite how much more I have to pay here.
My dreams were crushed when I found out how expensive the peninsula was.
mean.gif

Rent prices in the Peninsula have skyrocketed in the past 3 years due to all the startups/tech companies that have been opening up here. Huge influx of talent with high incomes -> rental companies charge whatever they want

It's still better than SF in the sense that although you're paying around the same amount, you can get an apartment built this century with modern facilities, compared to the ancient @#$ spots in SF :lol:

My friend and I are paying the same amounts for our own similar sized studios, but mine was built in 2015 , and my building has a swimming pool, rooftop patio, game room with pool tables and TVs, private parking in a garage, etc. while his is just a basic @#$ studio built in 1920 or something and has street parking with bums loitering outside.

I don't mind moving out of SF at all for this reason. Yes, San Mateo is boring, but the restaurants are really good, parking is plentiful and dirt cheap, and I'm only 20-25 minutes away from all parts of the Bay Area due to the excellent central location.

Last edited:
Man, I need to get into coding or a tech company. lol

You don't even need to be a coder if you can just get into one of these companies. Just have a useful skill. I've worked as an accountant with/for a lot of major tech companies/startups for the past 3 years, and because I handle payroll, I can tell you that even office managers get paid 10-15K more than what they would at a typical office.

The only downside of working at startups is that most startups end up failing. However, we're lucky to live in an area where you can walk down the street and find 10 more companies that will hire you if you are smart and outgoing.

Last edited:
Do it. Barriers to entry are low and demand is high.
May consider it if I decide to head back to CA.
You don't even need to be a coder if you can just get into one of these companies. Just have a useful skill. I've worked as an accountant with/for a lot of major tech companies/startups for the past 3 years, and because I handle payroll, I can tell you that even office managers get paid 10-15K more than what they would at a typical office.

The only downside of working at startups is that most startups end up failing. However, we're lucky to live in an area where you can walk down the street and find 10 more companies that will hire you if you are smart and outgoing.
Man...thanks for the insight...Hopefully I could find something  I could apply for down the road.

^^^You check out Twitter and even Uber's job listings. They do have a ton open compared to most companies. It's pretty insane that they are giving out what I would think are higher salaries and to tons of people.

^^^You check out Twitter and even Uber's job listings. They do have a ton open compared to most companies. It's pretty insane that they are giving out what I would think are higher salaries and to tons of people.
Thanks, man. I'll check them out!

[h1]Is this combined kitchen-bathroom in San Francisco for real?[/h1]
[h2]Oh dear[/h2]
BY BROCK KEELING    MAR 10, 2017, 4:08PM PS

2328ddeaef052b3cb41fc47704ba64a7.JPG.max800.0.jpeg

While San Francisco properties are getting smaller and denser, one must stand in awe of the audacity of one property owner’s decision to meld the kitchen and bathroom into one space.

A microwave and kitchen sink literally sit next to an enclosed shower and toilet. This raises many, many  questions. First, the validity of the photos. The image was sent in by a tipster—and since NextDoor limits to posts by neighborhood, Curbed SF has been unable to verify if they appeared on the website, or if they have been altered in any way. Curbed SF has contacted the owner of the property for comment. We will update as soon as we hear back from them

But supposing this mind-boggling room is real, here are a few other questions:
  • Is this legal?  Answer: No, it is not.
  • Is it safe?  Possibly not.
  • Is it healthy?  Microscopic waste particles do launch into the air post-flush, so that is one concern. “Fecal plumes could pose a problem, especially if you’re prone to flushing with the toilet seat up,” says Elizabeth Lopatto, science editor at The Verge. (Here’s more on  that dirty  subject.)
  • Where is this located?  According to the ad, which was posted on NextDoor, this newly renovated studio apartment is near the Presidio Wall between Presidio Heights and Cow Hollow.
  • How much? According to the ad, $2,000/month or best offer.
Here are some additional images of the tiny home. Enjoy.

89b42b4550695b48c3743a16f6ec208b.JPG.max800.JPG

e370ae543e617381d66cb5c42ddb856e.JPG.max800.JPG

http://sf.curbed.com/2017/3/10/14889950/kitchen-bathroom-sf-combined-toilet

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. This is exactly why I moved my family out of NorCal last year.

In Fremont, my old landlord's 3 bed/1.5 bath 1100 sq. ft. bungalow went for $800K after we moved out. God knows who bought it, but on a visit up there last weekend we saw that THE HOUSE IS VACANT. Who spends $800K on a house and never moves in???

Meanwhile, $2100 a month got us a 2 story, 6 bed/4 bath 3200 sq. ft. house about an hour outside of LA with a 2 car garage, separate casita, fenced courtyard, fenced back yard high up on a hill with one HELL of a view, anytime access to the HOA rec center, and a pretty stellar school district for the kids.

AND, there's the very within reach goal of actually growing, rather than being stuck running the never ending Bay Area rat race treadmill.

Someone tell me again what's so great about living up north? :rofl:

isn't that what's going on with a lot of these new developments? they're empty because foreigners are buying them as investments, not to actually live there

Last edited:
isn't that what's going on with a lot of these new developments? they're empty because foreigners are buying them as investments, not to actually live there

That's absolutely true. But the Irvington District of Fremont is about the farthest you can get from a new development. It's one of the oldest, most well lived in areas of the city. And it's one thing to spend $800K on a house as an investment, but if I'm the investor and I spent that much, I'm going to rent it out in a hurry. The house, other than internal remodeling, looks exactly as it did the day we left. Empty. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

a lot of families who moved to America at the right time, say 60s or 70s who bought houses paid them off for decades already rent out to all those young dudes and just spend that money to travel year round. situation that my friend's in right now. complete empty house every time I see her but you can tell the owners and grandparents of them have lived there for eons.

Might've been posted in this thread but there was a VICE doc on Market St. (main hub street that shapes the entirety of SF for those of you don't know) where a restaurant owner of a famous taqueria plainly said "I'm staying here forever, I feel bad for other businesses that all have risen and fallen only because I bought the entire building of my restaurant back in the 70s."

That's absolutely true. But the Irvington District of Fremont is about the farthest you can get from a new development. It's one of the oldest, most well lived in areas of the city. And it's one thing to spend $800K on a house as an investment, but if I'm the investor and I spent that much, I'm going to rent it out in a hurry. The house, other than internal remodeling, looks exactly as it did the day we left. Empty. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Some people just got it like that. I have a friend who's in-laws bought a 3 unit building in North Beach. It's probably worth like $3 million. I don't think they ever lived in it cause they live somewhere in SoCal. A good friend of ours tried to rent a unit from them but they weren't interested. They rather just leave it vacant. I'm guessing they could be getting $12-15K a month.

Last edited:

Some people just got it like that. I have a friend who's in-laws bought a 3 unit building in North Beach. It's probably worth like $3 million. I don't think they ever lived in it cause they live somewhere in SoCal. A good friend of ours tried to rent a unit from them but they weren't interested. They rather just leave it vacant. I'm guessing they could be getting $12-15K a month.

my friends family is like that. they have a few buildings in the noe valley but only rent out a handful of the units. they dont want to deal with tenants and have to be "landlord"
they are very selective when it comes to potential renters. probably could be making a lot if they rented out to all the "techies" but they've made enough over the yrs. it's funny that their buildings are basically where the Google shuttles pickup location. so every morning there's a whole line outside their home :lol:
they get offers from developers that want to buy the building and could easily cash out and retire. they have one tenant that been there for yrs so their rent is low (rent control) but they dont mind when the new tenants are willing to pay 5x

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom