RUN with US on INSTAGRAM #NTrunning (NikeTalkRunning)

Have any of you guys used the H11 Clifton 1s? I found a pair for a price good enough to try them out... :lol:

I have almost 40 miles on mine. I have pretty narrow feet, and at first these were narrow even for me, but they've been fine every time I run, and have loosened up nicely anyway. They updated them with a padded tongue for v2 but I like the thin tongue on v1. Plus v1 is even lighter than my Flyknit lunar1s! Pretty responsive but if you're not used to the stack height of hokas, they might feel weird at first, until you take them on a long run and realize why they're selling so well. I would say if you have a good price they're worth a try. I waited until they dropped below $80 a few months ago on RW.

I might be a bit biased on Hokas, but my first pair helped me to a PR a couple years ago.

If I start getting serious about 26.2 again, I'm tempted to get a pair of Bondi4's - I tried them on alongside the cliftons and though they weren't as light, they feel amazing in comparison.

I really want to get into running. I've tried the treadmill when I'm at the gym, but its just not there for me mentally. I go to the gym to hit my 5x5's and my accessories, my head just isn't in it to run in the gym.

Whats the best way to get going as a beginner? Do I just go out and run? How many days a week d you guys run? Everyday?
Yeah, I can't get into it on treadmills, either.  I bought more cold-weather gear this year to be outside as long as I can - if I have another winter like last year, though, I'll kill myself running the streets.

I just started back in 2013, at age 38.  I just went out and did it.  Started with trying to go a mile without walking, worked up to a 5K.  Last year, I followed the Nike+ app to train for a half marathon.  Ran 3 more this year, and am seriously entertaining a full marathon in 2016.

I run about 5 days a week now, and I'm at the point that if I take two days off in a row, I get antsy.  It just takes over your mentality.

It just starts with that first day.

I really want to get into running. I've tried the treadmill when I'm at the gym, but its just not there for me mentally. I go to the gym to hit my 5x5's and my accessories, my head just isn't in it to run in the gym.

Whats the best way to get going as a beginner? Do I just go out and run? How many days a week d you guys run? Everyday?

I can't run on a treadmill either, it's just too boring. Yes, just go out and run, but it'll be hard since you aren't into it, yet.

I started running this year, hadn't ran a mile before this year :lol:. I started not being able to run for 3 minutes straight, but kept training 3 days a week going the same route. After 8 weeks I think, I ran for 5 miles straight one night, and signed up for the Chicago marathon lottery, since it was 6 months away. I ended up using the Nike coaching program on the app, 5 days a week I would run. I ended up noticing myself improve dramatically over time, but got injured in September. I still finished the marathon though!

I ran the same route because that way I could gauge my progress and fell in love with that. Might work for you, might not. I think me signing up for the marathon changed everything though, since I actually had months of training and didn't want to fail. The app had scheduled runs and just had me thinking I HAD to do it, which was waaay too many miles for someone who had no background, looking back at it, haha. I just signed up for the Berlin marathon lottery, and find out next month if I'm in.

Good luck!

Last edited:
They both launch toward the end of the month or early December...

via Amazon
235:
WRIST BASED HEART RATE - Forerunner 235 utilizes Garmin's very own wrist based heart rate sensor that tracks 24/7.
LARGER SCREEN - A 44% larger screen than the 225 but the same physical size.
BATTERY LIFE - 12 weeks in watch mode and 12 hours in training mode
AUDIO PROMPTS - Receive audio prompts from your connected smartphone that include laps and lap times.
SMART NOTIFICATIONS - See incoming email, text messages, call alerts, calendar reminders and more from your compatible smartphone

630:
2ND GENERATION RUNNING DYNAMICS -Calculates 6 advanced running dynamics: stride length, ground contact time balance, vertical ratio, cadence, vertical oscillation and ground contact time
PHYSIOLOGICAL MEASUREMENTS -Supports advanced physiological measurements: stress score, performance condition, lactate threshold, recovery time, VO2 max, predicted race times
BATTERY LIFE - Long-lasting, user-replaceable battery.
WIRELESS - Wirelessly transmits accurate heart rate to your compatible device
SMART NOTIFICATIONS - See incoming email, text messages, call alerts, calendar reminders and more from your compatible smartphone.

Last edited:
 The app had scheduled runs and just had me thinking I HAD to do it, which was waaay too many miles for someone who had no background, looking back at it, haha. 

Good luck!
Yes to both of these!

I tried training on my own two summers ago, thinking today I'd run 4, tomorrow 4.5, the next day 5....which is bad.  I hurt myself and gave it up for the year.  The best part about the app is that it schedules the off days to protect you, which was much more helpful.

If you think the beginner setting was tough - I tried the Intermediate!  Brutal!  But now I know the rhythm of training, and did the last two trainings on my own.  If I decide to do the full, I'll use the app again, though.

just got back from my run during lunch.. logged 3.51 miles with negative splits

:x GPS was on but it didn't appear to track my route :smh:

It's getting dark before 6 pm. Does anyone run with any type of lights? Which ones do you recommend . Preferably something that's not heavy and bulky

Last edited:
With the unveiling of the 235, I'm definitely passing on the 225. Now, it's between the 235 and Vivoactive. The more I look at the specs for each, the more I'm leaning toward the 235. I just wish it had a touchscreen. With that said, the 630 is a touchscreen, but it doesn't have the HRM :rolleyes

Last edited:
It's getting dark before 6 pm. Does anyone run with any type of lights? Which ones do you recommend . Preferably something that's not heavy and bulky

Been wanting to know this too. I work too much to get home and run in the evenings :nerd:

Any Hoka Clifton 1 owners out there? I'm on the cusp of purchasing a pair, but I'm unsure of which size to get. So I ask... how'd you go about sizing? True to size or 1/2 size up?

Any Hoka Clifton 1 owners out there? I'm on the cusp of purchasing a pair, but I'm unsure of which size to get. So I ask... how'd you go about sizing? True to size or 1/2 size up?

I gave you my reply to your first post a couple days ago - see the previous page [emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji] I went TTS, but they're a bit narrow at first. And one weird thing is that although they're narrow shoes up front, I find myself tying them as tight as I can by the collar, and I almost can't because of the lace holder on the tongue.

Forgot to ask - what kind of deal are you getting and where? I might be interested in another pair

I gave you my reply to your first post a couple days ago - see the previous page [emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji] I went TTS, but they're a bit narrow at first. And one weird thing is that although they're narrow shoes up front, I find myself tying them as tight as I can by the collar, and I almost can't because of the lace holder on the tongue.

Ahhh I missed it! Thanks, Tim! I looked at various sources, and I got mixed reviews all over [(Instagram = +1/2) / (SR / youtube / you = TTS) / (Zappos = 1/2 down)] :lol: However, there was a CONSISTENCY with their narrowness. I made the executive decision and went with your word since I have pretty narrow feet as well. I hope they work out!

Forgot to ask - what kind of deal are you getting and where? I might be interested in another pair

jackrabbit.com

They're having a HUGE sale on all brands! Check them out! If you spend over $100, use "THRILLER10" for $10 off, and you'll get free shipping on orders over $75.

I ordered a pair of the Cliftons, a pair of LR3s and a striped Element 1/4 Zip for ~$135 shipped.

I'm thinking of grabbing some Kinvaras and Newton Gravities now :smh:

Last edited:
@alsa2009

any word on those structure 18s at your outlet?  What outlet is it?

Thanks!

Oh sorry for the super late response. I went to the outlet twice and didn't see any more pairs. However they did have the Structure 19 for 84.99. Pretty sure they sold out pretty fast as they were only $29.99 1 plus tax $32
Tanger Outlet North Charleston SC is where I saw them.

Oh sorry for the super late response. I went to the outlet twice and didn't see any more pairs. However they did have the Structure 19 for 84.99. Pretty sure they sold out pretty fast as they were only $29.99 1 plus tax $32
Tanger Outlet North Charleston SC is where I saw them.
Got it - thanks for the followup!  I might just do a nikefind for a pair...never done that before.

Heads up - sportchalet.com has 50% off clearance with free shipping above $48 orders. I found my structure 18s finally and since I had a $10 reward, they came to $43 shipped. They also have a GIFT15 code for $15 off over $75, but I couldn't get it to work when I had that much in the cart.

Back
Top Bottom