Rosa Parks = Overrated

I remember a few years ago someone on NT posted that Harriet Tubman refused to give up her seat. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

At the end of the day everyone is overated for the most part I think Jay the best rapper alive but hes still overated the older I get the more I see why anyway the "winners decide history"- Napoleon and since white people are winning they tell y'all who was important to the Civil Rights movement..if y'all would read something other than what they teach you in school which is mostly b.s y'all would know this

Originally Posted by MrMaC9

At the end of the day everyone is overated for the most part I think Jay the best rapper alive but hes still overated the older I get the more I see why anyway the "winners decide history"- Napoleon and since white people are winning they tell y'all who was important to the Civil Rights movement..if y'all would read something other than what they teach you in school which is mostly b.s y'all would know this
Word. The Black Panthers probably did the most out of any one organization and the first time I heard about them, it was my history teacher talking about the various "Terrorist" organizations that have been active in America.
30t6p3b.gif

MrMaC9 wrote:

[size=+1]In July 1955, five months before the famous incident in December, she attended "Highlander Folk School" in Monteagle Tennessee. Myles Horton and James Dombroski, both Communist Party members, started this school in 1932 to train Communist activists. Betty Friedan was another alumnus. [/size] [size=+1]http://www.highlandercenter.org[/size]   [size=+1]Rosa Parks and many others had defied the bus segregation laws on several occasions since the 1940's. The Montgomery bus boycott was planned in advance. Martin Luther King was brought in to lead it. Rosa Parks was chosen to kick it off. (See Aldon Morris, "The Origins of the Civil Rights Movement")[/size]

The ignorance throughout this thread is astounding! OP I believe that you made this thread being 100% serious with what you sad and that's pretty sad. I have no problem with people expressing themselves because that's your right, but to do so with such blatant ignorance saddens me. I'd say I wish I believed you were trolling, but considering you're a 30 year old man on a sneaker forum populated with people who are substantially younger than you, that's almost worse. Grow up already and please educate yourself.

Originally Posted by sneekerluvr

The ignorance throughout this thread is astounding! OP I believe that you made this thread being 100% serious with what you sad and that's pretty sad. I have no problem with people expressing themselves because that's your right, but to do so with such blatant ignorance saddens me. I'd say I wish I believed you were trolling, but considering you're a 30 year old man on a sneaker forum populated with people who are substantially younger than you, that's almost worse. Grow up already and please educate yourself.
Oh so now being 30 on NT is bad too? LOL Ok, Been here since I was 19 and proud of it.

I posted on twitter that I was going to start this because somebody posted Jackie Robinson was underrated and Rosa was overrated and I really wanted to get others opinion but ah well. Believe what u want

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Oh so now being 30 on NT is bad too? LOL Ok, Been here since I was 19 and proud of it.

I posted on twitter that I was going to start this because somebody posted Jackie Robinson was underrated and Rosa was overrated and I really wanted to get others opinion but ah well. Believe what u want

"Overrated" is a subjective term in which each individual assumes unique criteria to claim over/underrated.  Just because other users don't agree with OP doesn't mean that OP is right/wrong.  It's just an opinion.

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

[size=+1]In July 1955, five months before the famous incident in December, she attended "Highlander Folk School" in Monteagle Tennessee. Myles Horton and James Dombroski, both Communist Party members, started this school in 1932 to train Communist activists. Betty Friedan was another alumnus. [/size] [size=+1]http://www.highlandercenter.org[/size]   [size=+1]Rosa Parks and many others had defied the bus segregation laws on several occasions since the 1940's. The Montgomery bus boycott was planned in advance. Martin Luther King was brought in to lead it. Rosa Parks was chosen to kick it off. (See Aldon Morris, "The Origins of the Civil Rights Movement")[/size]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]There we go, just what I needed. Thanks for posting this..Will be buying this book. [/color]

Originally Posted by kiendienn

"Overrated" is a subjective term in which each individual assumes unique criteria to claim over/underrated.  Just because other users don't agree with OP doesn't mean that OP is right/wrong.  It's just an opinion.
laugh.gif
 Why are people defending OP?  Dude admitted to trolling and obviously has no actual insight in the matter.  Civil Rights were/are a big deal...having to deal with segregation in schools to public places.  Rosa Parks, as people have said, played a significant role during this time in American History.  Sure, it was just one moment in time involving people we don't personally know, but to call it overrated is being straight ignorant of our country's history.  If this doesn't matter to you/"overrated" to you, then obviously our personal values are not compatible.  But I hope deep down you aren't that ignorant.

whoever said 'context' hit the nail on the head.

not a single one of us was around when she did it, but at the time it obviously sparked a big deal. just because we don't understand how it sparked a big deal doesn't mean it was overrated.

taking things out of a historical context don't always lead to obvious conclusions.

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

whoever said 'context' hit the nail on the head.

not a single one of us was around when she did it, but at the time it obviously sparked a big deal. just because we don't understand how it sparked a big deal doesn't mean it was overrated.

taking things out of a historical context don't always lead to obvious conclusions.
*Raises hand.  
Thank you.  Sitting at the computer popping of on NT like OP is a lot easier when he can publicly do it anywhere he wants to.  Put yourself in Rosa Parks' shoes or any other person's in America during that time and  your POV would be much different.  The fact that this thread even exists, if not for trolling, is straight ignorant.

It's not what she did, it's what she started. She marked the beginning of the civil rights movement.

Why do people have to make their own criticisms as to who is overrated or who is underrated?

Jackie Robinson and Rosa Parks have historical significance because of their actions. Regardless of how people have heralded them in the time that has past, these people are to be respected for what they have done.

If you think people of all types deserve to live in equality, you would have respect for these people. Enough respect to not make stupid threads about whether or not they have done enough to warrant the amount of appreciation they have received.

As quoted by Rosa Parks:
"My only concern was to get home after a hard day's work."

"The only tired I was, was tired of giving in." (on refusing to give up her seat on the bus to a white male)

"I knew someone had to take the first step and I made up my mind not to move."

OP, you're a donkey.

Back
Top Bottom