Rosa Parks = Overrated

208ttt0.jpg.gif

Originally Posted by HUYNHer

Originally Posted by DMoney82

I'm dead serious tho. Don't care how foolish I may sound.
Dead serious and straight ignorant.  Check yourself, man.
How am I ignorant for saying I think she is overrated? Her refusing to move like millions of other blacks just sparked a movement but that is all she did. After that she joined the civil rights movement but that's it. Tell me something else.

A lot of yall are just following the lead with the gifs and comments, you can't tell me @%@ else about Rosa Parks either.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Same dude that was pointing the finger at "Black People" in the Trayvon thread...

I wish you the best man. Love yourself.

How did I point the finger at black people? All I said was that we need to do more. Stop trying so hard to make me seem like some fool.

How am I ignorant for saying I think she is overrated? Her refusing to move like millions of other blacks just sparked a movement but that is all she did. After that she joined the civil rights movement but that's it. Tell me something else.

A lot of yall are just following the lead, you can't tell me #+# else about Rosa Parks either.
i think thats the most important thing. Sometimes all it takes is that spark for a person to be remembered. She sparked a movement like you stated which is that really matters

What did she really do besides show defiance ? There were thousands that refused to give up their seat and didn't get any recognition. Discuss
Defiance in the face of injustice is courageous and definitely noteworthy enough to signify reverance given their were hundreds of thousands more who were giving up their seats for years before that.

Yes there were other ppl who didn't give up their seat that were with her and others here and there after and before but Rosa's act was chosen to be a rallying point during the movement for Civil Rights. Saying other ppl did it does not take away from the fact that she did. That's like saying MLK is overrated because Booker T. Washington talked about black ppl getting civil rights decades before him.

Also she did a whole lot of other stuff to help in the movement. You should educate yourself. Using the term "overrated" just shows how out of touch you are with this issue and why what she did was important.

A lot of yall are just following the lead with the gifs and comments, you can't tell me @%@ else about Rosa Parks either.

I can tell you that her refusal to move was planned for weeks and was to be specifically used as the catalyst to spark the boycott...
...and I can also tell you that her actions still shouldn't be taken lightly, because worst case scenario, she still could have lost her life.

Go watch every last "Eyes On The Prize" and understand how good you have it because of all of them...

...you don't come off as a total idiot, you just come off as someone who doesn't know too much about your own history - and for that, I feel sorry for.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Same dude that was pointing the finger at "Black People" in the Trayvon thread...

I wish you the best man. Love yourself.

How did I point the finger at black people? All I said was that we need to do more. Stop trying so hard to make me seem like some fool.
Nah clown that's all you.
laugh.gif

YOU ARE STUPID AS **!*. JESUS CHRIST YOU REALLY THINK ROSA PARKS WAS JUST A RANDOM LADY THAT DIDNT MOVE?

JESUS %#@@$%% CHRIST GO BACK TO THE CLASSROOM I SWEAR TO GOD I HOPE YOU ARENT BLACK

EDUCATE YOURSELF WITH MORE THAN WHAT IS THE NEW ASAP ROCKY SONG YOU SLAVE

At the time of her action, Parks was secretary of the Montgomery chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and had recently attended the Highlander Folk School, a Tennessee center for workers' rights and racial equality. Nonetheless, she took her action as a private citizen "tired of giving in". Although widely honored in later years for her action, she suffered for it, losing her job as a seamstress in a local department store. Eventually, she moved to Detroit, Michigan, where she found similar work. From 1965 to 1988 she served as secretary and receptionist to African-American U.S. Representative John Conyers.

NO JUST +++!%!+ NO THAT IS NOT TRUE I WISH YOU AND ONLY YOU COULD BE SENT BACK TO 1940S ALABAMA

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

What did she really do besides show defiance ? There were thousands that refused to give up their seat and didn't get any recognition. Discuss
Defiance in the face of injustice is courageous and definitely noteworthy enough to signify reverance given their were hundreds of thousands more who were giving up their seats for years before that.

Yes there were other ppl who didn't give up their seat that were with her and others here and there after and before but Rosa's act was chosen to be a rallying point during the movement for Civil Rights. Saying other ppl did it does not take away from the fact that she did. That's like saying MLK is overrated because Booker T. Washington talked about black ppl getting civil rights decades before him.

Also she did a whole lot of other stuff to help in the movement. You should educate yourself. Using the term "overrated" just shows how out of touch you are with this issue and why what she did was important.
Was gonna say something like this. 

Well said.

Originally Posted by IHaveMyOwnOpinion

I think overrated is the wrong word, but I understand what you're saying.
And a lot of Professors in African American studies do make that point.
But not in a manner that is meant to take anything away from what she did
And her contributions.

Just what I came in here to say. In my AAS class, the professor was making a point about how people defied the laws and got arrested for the same stuff every day.
However, she was a TRAINED activist and expected to be arrested. Also helped that she fit the mold for the poster-child for protest: she was fairly light-skinned, not a mother, educated, etc.

I like how ihavemyownoppinion wrote it. A lot of black folks probably did refuse to give up their seat and they should be remembered but she was the one that got recognized for it so how could you possibly undermine her? Not at all overated

Like others have said, she didn't "just" refuse to give up her seat. That, and many other demonstrations she was apart of was planned by her and other civil rights activists. That is but one incident she was involved with, and it just so happens that it's the one incident she is most remembered for.

Terrible way to undermine her incredible contributions. Just skim over her Wiki, OP... she did a lot more than just remain seated on a bus.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]MLK is overrated in my opinion. *shrugs*

Now brother Malcolm on the other hand.
pimp.gif

[/color]
I don't think it's so much as Dr. King being overrated as it is Brother Malik being underrated. I understand why though. It really is unfortunate how the later years of his life are virtually ignored by a majority of the education system. The demonization of him in his younger years simply overshadows his actions once he saw the NOI for what it really was... but that's another story for another time.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

YOU ARE STUPID AS **!*. JESUS CHRIST YOU REALLY THINK ROSA PARKS WAS JUST A RANDOM LADY THAT DIDNT MOVE?

JESUS %#@@$%% CHRIST GO BACK TO THE CLASSROOM I SWEAR TO GOD I HOPE YOU ARENT BLACK

EDUCATE YOURSELF WITH MORE THAN WHAT IS THE NEW ASAP ROCKY SONG YOU SLAVE

At the time of her action, Parks was secretary of the Montgomery chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and had recently attended the Highlander Folk School, a Tennessee center for workers' rights and racial equality. Nonetheless, she took her action as a private citizen "tired of giving in". Although widely honored in later years for her action, she suffered for it, losing her job as a seamstress in a local department store. Eventually, she moved to Detroit, Michigan, where she found similar work. From 1965 to 1988 she served as secretary and receptionist to African-American U.S. Representative John Conyers.

/thread

I swear, sometimes I think kids like OP have more respect for someone like Drake than they do for someone like Rosa Parks.

OP must be mad young because anyone out of highschool/college shouldn't be this ignorant.

Im white if that matters. (sorry - race thread, had to say it.
laugh.gif
)

So much ignorance in this thread/on this board/around the world.
It may not be about Rosa Parks, it may not be about her actions, it is about the movement and the recognition, the attention, and the awareness it received. 

tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom