RIP Joe Paterno

I'm just waiting for the media to come in and say how great of a man he was and blah blah blah when two months ago they were crucifying and contributed to his health decline with all the stress. Goes to show how really powerful the media is, smh.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

I'm just waiting for the media to come in and say how great of a man he was and blah blah blah when two months ago they were crucifying and contributed to his health decline with all the stress. Goes to show how really powerful the media is, smh.
What does this have to do with anything? Blame the media for covering a massive scandal involving one of the most well-known figures in college football history? You said keep the debate out of here, you might want to follow your own advice.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

What does this have to do with anything? Blame the media for covering a massive scandal involving one of the most well-known figures in college football history? You said keep the debate out of here, you might want to follow your own advice.
Yup.

I'm indifferent right now...the scandal is still fresh in my mind and I keep thinking about the lives that were RUINED due to negligence.  He's a legendary coach, but some things in life are larger than sports. 

Listening to 95.7 fm the game in San Francisco they just said they confirmed Joe Pa has passed.

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]Toure
RT @JayPaterno: I appreciate the support & prayers. Joe is continuing to fight.[/td][/tr][/table]

Folks are thirsty to be the "first" one to break this story, that they forget all about journalistic integrity just for the sake of winning the race. 
30t6p3b.gif

Whether you liked the dude or not, death is no joke so please keep the debate out of here. SMH at dudes saying he should go to hell, who are you to judge. There is only one person who can judge him and he is facing him right now. RIP and condolences to his family.
Only one person who can judge?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

NOPE! I can judge him. He didn't do enough. Sandusky was still allowed on campus and had an office there. While he may have been a "good guy" for most of his life, some people's lives are judged based on a single event (see: Bill +%$@!*# Buckner). I can say that as much dirt as I've done, nothing comes even close to knowingly harboring a child molester.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Yup.

I'm indifferent right now...the scandal is still fresh in my mind and I keep thinking about the lives that were RUINED due to negligence.  He's a legendary coach, but some things in life are larger than sports. 

Listening to 95.7 fm the game in San Francisco they just said they confirmed Joe Pa has passed.

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]Toure
RT @JayPaterno: I appreciate the support & prayers. Joe is continuing to fight.[/td][/tr][/table]

Folks are thirsty to be the "first" one to break this story, that they forget all about journalistic integrity just for the sake of winning the race. 
30t6p3b.gif

I agree with you. If he's not dead that's horrible to speak of someone's passing strictly to say breaking story isn't right. Regardless it doesn't sound like Joe will be around much longer so regardless of who's right and who's wrong the entire story is tragic. From joe pa to the victims. Nobody wins in this situation. And ESPN dogging Joe Pa the past few months and now it's like he was a mans man and have nothing bad to say. Shame on you espn.

How does my post ellicit any form of debate? I'm just predicting what's going to happen. The same *!$+ happened with MJ when he passed. The media was his number one enemy for a good part of his life and they crucified him and basically made his life a joke. When he passed, they weren't making fun of him then. They went on to say how great he was and all that. Funny how people's feelings about a person change once they die. But that's a whole different discussion. I'll leave it out of here at your request fam. 
My condolences to his family. Death is never easy to cope with. 

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Whether you liked the dude or not, death is no joke so please keep the debate out of here. SMH at dudes saying he should go to hell, who are you to judge. There is only one person who can judge him and he is facing him right now. RIP and condolences to his family.
Only one person who can judge?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

NOPE! I can judge him. He didn't do enough. Sandusky was still allowed on campus and had an office there. While he may have been a "good guy" for most of his life, some people's lives are judged based on a single event (see: Bill +%$@!*# Buckner). I can say that as much dirt as I've done, nothing comes even close to knowingly harboring a child molester.
It was directed to the people who were saying he should go to hell. If you believe in a hell, then you must believe in a God and know that the ultimate judgement comes from him. Sorry for any confusion fam

indifferent.gif
 @ the people who are prematurely announcing his death
Joe Pa is 100% guilty of failing to act. There is no debate there. What he did was a terrible thing. However he did not molest anyone (to our knowledge) and ESPN making him the scapegoat for Sandusky's actions is unwarranted.  

You have no clue what you're gonna do in a given situation until you're put in that situation.  I certainly don't believe that 100% of the people that said if they were JoePa they'd go straight to the cops would actually do that.  People do funny things under pressure.  I just don't think you can judge someone in that type of situation unless you've experienced it yourself.  

Still, I do believe he should have done more, but I definitely don't wish ill will on the man.

Joe Paterno is 100% responsible for EVERY SINGLE child that was molested after he learned about the situation. Period.

I can't say I'm glad he's dead because I'm an atheist who doesn't believe in the afterlife, but I am glad he suffered these last few months and I'm glad his legacy is tarnished. I view him as the ultimate narcissist, you don't harbor a child molester on your campus long after he quit "because he knew he wasn't going to be the successor" unless you're a wild ego maniac more concerned with your own legacy. "Oh, Jerry's running a football camp for young boys on campus? Good to know he still loves to coach! *sniff* Moving on. I'm me." Paterno could have easily died before any of this came out, that would have been the worst of tragedies. I'm glad it got messy.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

indifferent.gif
 @ the people who are prematurely announcing his death
Joe Pa is 100% guilty of failing to act. There is no debate there. What he did was a terrible thing. However he did not molest anyone (to our knowledge) and ESPN making him the scapegoat for Sandusky's actions is unwarranted.  

This^Also, living with all that guilt must've gotten to him. He could've done something about it IMO. The Penn State alums that I know all tell me he runs #*$# and got more clout than the dean and the higher ups in that school. So nobody can't give me the sob story that he aint got nothing to do with it. He tried to wash his hands with this #*$# that's why he stepped down.

an dee 51o:
Joe Paterno is 100% responsible for EVERY SINGLE child that was molested after he learned about the situation. Period.
Absolutely… BUT… 'responsible because you are guilty' is nowhere near the same crime as 'responsible because you were too quiet'.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

an dee 51o:
Absolutely… BUT… 'responsible because you are guilty' is nowhere near the same crime as 'responsible because you were too quiet'.

In his position, he should have done something. You and I both know it ska

C'mon, man, of course I know that. Read my other comments in this thread.

he will be remembered for what you want to remember him for

i realize and acknowledge all the good he did for the school, the football program, athletics, the community etc. if you want to remember him for that, good on you

me though? not quite. the sandusky situation will be the first (and last) line in my memory of him. no amount of good he did can justify his mishandling of the incident(s). you cant turn a blind eye to that sort of thing

you just cant

yet, when his time comes...RIP

Originally Posted by HankMoody

His legacy and name is forever tarnished, he was fired, etc. Dude and his family have already paid a fair price for his mistakes, IMO. No need to go overboard. He did a lot of good in this world as well. A LOT.

RIP.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Perfect karma would be if a medical professional arrived on the scene, heard of his ills, reported it to a supervisor, then went back to the hospital, hoping that someone else would take care of him.

NAILED IT!

Back
Top Bottom