Return of the NikeTalk Fitted Cap. Help us decide our size distribution and order quantities!

What fitted cap size are you MOST interested in?

• 6 7/8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 7 1/8

• 7 1/4

• 7 3/8

• 7 1/2

• 7 5/8

• 7 3/4

• 7 7/8

• I don't really want a hat, I just wanted to click something.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
whens the date for these though, has it been mentioned
nerd.gif
No date yet.  Until they've actually been produced, we can't rule out the possibility of manufacturing delays, etc. that might impact launch. 
I always wondered how does meth have so many posts when he only posts like a dozen times per year?

Like just HOW?!
2-3 posts per day over 15 years adds up. 

Any and all possibilities have been digitized & analyzed through Meth's cybernetic brain.

The current plan is the best plan.

Any word on the charity that will be benefited this time Meth? Also think it'd be dope if that charity also received a commemorative NT shirt or hat :pimp:

Just a thought if Niketalker's were to donate just $1.00 to a Paypal account managed by Methodical Management Methodical Management we could use those funds to fund a larger production on the next release. I'm starting to feel like I won't be able to get my hands on this release for some reason.

Last edited:
Any word on the charity that will be benefited this time Meth? Also think it'd be dope if that charity also received a commemorative NT shirt or hat
pimp.gif
That's yet to be determined.  Merchandising related to a charity itself is problematic.  We contribute to organizations because we wish to support their work, not because we want to trade on their reputation.  

The whole cross-promotional marketing thing, where you use, say, breast cancer as a mascot to sell carcinogenic junk food, tends to be pretty vulgar.  
Meth, just a thought.

Since all of the proceeds will be going to charity, and this produces an inconvenience for the makers.
Why not charge 50% more on top of the full price, per hat.

And then have 90-95% of it go to charity, and the rest to the manufacturer. That way they make more hats
, since they will benefit from this and we will also raise more money since we will be charging more per hat?

Just a thought.
We're looking at the possibility of raising the price slightly this time around to help dampen any resale value and better ensure that they'll be sold to those who truly want them - but there's a limit, right?  To have "90-95%" of the purchase price go to charity, we'd have to charge over $100.  That comes across as gouging, and, frankly, I don't know that 288 people would even be interested in paying that much for a cap.

Honestly, $50 all in might be pushing it a bit.  So, we can probably accept a slight bump, if only to accommodate the additional handling fees associated with dealing in greater volume, but, at heart, this is something we're doing because our community members want it.

There are more efficient ways to raise money for charity - and, as it happens, we're in the middle of planning a direct fundraising drive right now: http://niketalk.com/t/611275/help-u...sing-project-graphic-designers-nt-vets-needed

It's difficult to get more efficient than 100% to charity.  In this case, there's a corporate match available, effectively doubling all contributions.  

The thinking here is just that, if a lot of members want a fitted cap, why not also use it to raise money for charity?  Our hosting costs are already covered.  We don't need to spend that money on creature comforts.  If pent up demand exists, we can serve that demand, give interested members a way to represent our community with pride, and hopefully do some good at the same time.  

Just a thought if Niketalker's were to donate just $1.00 to a Paypal account managed by @Methodical Management we could use those funds to fund a larger production on the next release. I'm starting to feel like I won't be able to get my hands on this release for some reason.

I dont think funds were the issue ... were they?
No, the funds weren't an issue.  Cap City previously indicated willingness to produce more than 288, but, after conversations with New Era, they decided on the current number.  

If you want to donate to something, let's sponsor a new library together.  Cap City has been kind enough to finance this latest run, and we greatly appreciate it.  If all goes well, hopefully we won't have to wait five years to do another run.  

I honestly think if it was priced at $100, it would still sell out instantly with everything being covered. But that jus my opinion...

I honestly think if it was priced at $100, it would still sell out instantly with everything being covered. But that jus my opinion...
Had it been up to me, I would've done 25-50 on a limited preorder basis through our group fundraising campaign at $100 each, eaten the cost of shipping myself, and deducted the production cost from the general sales totals. 

That apparently wasn't possible for whatever reason, so it kind of is what it is there.  

The point isn't to gouge, and honestly that's what it would look like if we charged $100 across the board.  We'd hoped to offer more, the quantities go down, everyone worries, and then we double the price?  That's just not cool to me.  

We want to reward our fellow members for their loyalty, not test the limits of that loyalty.  

Methodical Management Methodical Management I see. I suppose everything has to be PC now a days. Just thought it would've been nice for the recipient to receive something besides the money that says "We see what you're doing, here's a donation, keep up the good work" but I suppose a hat or shirt does scream marketing :lol:

@Methodical Management I see. I suppose everything has to be PC now a days. Just thought it would've been nice for the recipient to receive something besides the money that says "We see what you're doing, here's a donation, keep up the good work" but I suppose a hat or shirt does scream marketing
laugh.gif
It's the co-brand that's especially problematic there.  You're literally trading on somebody's good name in that case.  

Sometimes, our contributions tend to be pretty impersonal.  I've received mailings that were literally addressed to "Mr. NikeTalk Community."  I've received "thank you" notes that actually had a detachable form to submit an additional contribution.  

However, we've been doing this for quite awhile now, and there are some really amazing organizations who've taken note of our efforts and have reached out to us.  When we announce a donation and you say nice things about the organization, when you support their work yourself through the crowdfunding initiatives or perhaps just because you liked what you saw about the organization via our community contribution discussions, it matters.  

You might be surprised.  I spoke to someone recently who works with one of the organizations we've supported and they'd never heard of NikeTalk prior to our contribution.  They were curious, so they looked it up alongside some of their colleagues and they were so pleased to see all of the nice things you guys had to say in support of their work.  They read every single comment.  It really meant something - even beyond the financial support. 

We all know that money talks.  Just issuing a contribution is, itself, an indication of how highly we regard an organization and their efforts.  With a discussion forum like ours, however, we also have the opportunity to really articulate the feeling behind each contribution.  Sometimes, that just means something to us - but, and I think increasingly, it can also mean something to the amazing people who drive these nonprofits. 

These are people who could work anywhere, but they choose to accept lesser compensation to pursue their passions and make a career of helping others.  I wholeheartedly agree that we should seek to show our appreciation, but I think the community itself gives us a platform to achieve that with greater clarity than "cross-branding" ever could.  It's important to demonstrate that we're in this for the right reasons.  It's not a marketing strategy.  It's not a sales pitch.  It's not a hustle.  We care because we care.  

For future reference.

Calling the store and asking for more hats to be produced isnt going to get more hats produced.

We understand that everyone wants us to make 20K+ hats.

Unfortunately that isnt possible for a number of reasons.

We are trying our best with the assets we have at hand.

Remember we are doing this for no profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom