Report: Chris Paul Requests Trade To New York Knicks

Yeah, the NBA has never really been all that competitively balanced. Theoretically if it were more balanced, the average game would be more enjoyable to watch.

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

That Chris Broussard article is one of the dumbest things I've ever read..Did this guy really suggest Lebron for Dwight? That's just stupidity. You're gonna risk pissing off your best player (Wade) by trading away the guy that he convinced to leave his hometown to play with? Come on man..Then before that he suggests Carmelo for CP3? Yeah, the Knicks gave up the majority of their best young prospects for a player that only ending up playing 20 something games...Great idea Chris.

Just a thought...but If I'm Lebron I'd lobby to swap Wade for D12 in a heartbeat. Orlando wouldn't do that anyway tho. 

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

NBA straight trolling now,

One team has lebron james chris bosh and dwyane wade on the same team,

Another may have deron williams and dwight howard on the same squad,

Another team has ray allen, KG, Paul Pierce, and Rajon rondo on the same team,

And one may potentially have Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, and Amare stoudemire on the same team?
And this is bad, how?

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Originally Posted by MrONegative

If the Nets were willing to give up young talent/players/picks for D Will with no guarantee of him signing an extension, I'll be willing to bet money that another team will be willing to do the same thing with CP3. He doesn't have all the leverage in this situation...If I'm NO, I'd rather let him walk then to take back the Knicks trash (and I'm not even a NY hater)

The Nets just missed out of Carmelo, Utah quick mobbed them in the 25th with that come outta here with something deal, stole all the assets they got together for Melo without any promise of an extension.

Nets did it cuz they had to do something to compete in Brooklyn/attract FAs. This is that shortsightedness backfiring. Other teams won't forget that, especially after dude turned down an extension with the C's....they figured get ____ here and we can talk him into staying...

Maybe not so much anymore.
I understand why the Nets did it, but what I'm saying is there is always going to be at least one desperate team who's willing to take that risk. Orlando could put together a package better than what NY is offering, and they'd be willing to take that risk because if they can't field a competitive squad it's a wrap for Dwight in a Magic uniform. Highly doubt CP3 and Dwight would leave Orl for a large market under those circumstances...

Magic couldn't get out of the 1st round...

so trade maybe...Jameer and Bass (to replace CP and West), just to rent CP?

and don't trade Dwight so he's leaving for nothing too.

For one last shot with the Turk still on your team, and maybe even Gil too, unless DuDu as the backup sounds good.

And with no guarantee to stay from CP or Dwight, what FA's are trying to take less to join them?

With Stan Van Gundy? And Dwight's not just leaving because they can't get it together, he's leaving because he's done with Orlando.

So it's better to both lose talent and then lose both their guys for nothing for one last run?

Originally Posted by ill steelo

Originally Posted by abutta13

bro i want cp3 on the knicks too but i am a bigger fan of the sport as a whole than i am of one team. for the sport these superteams are awful and competitive balance is almost non existent. every year we know who the real contenders are before any games are even played. what other sports are like that? these players are getting out of hand they play a sport for a living they arent entitled to being on great teams and winning multiple championships.
when has competitive balance been existent though?

In the '80s when the Lakers & C's won 8 of the 10 rings in the decade?

In the '90s when the bulls & Rockets won 8 of the 10 rings in the decade?

In the '00s when the Spurs & Lakers won 7 of the 10 rings in the decade?
I'm sayin'

Even if you blew up the whole league like someone suggested and just did a draft there'd still be teams that would just outright suck. There is not a star for all 30+ teams in this league or enough legit role players.

A star player holding his impending free agency over a team's head by forcing himself to another team, wow I never seen that happen before.

For one last shot with the Turk still on your team, and maybe even Gil too, unless DuDu as the backup sounds good.

And with no guarantee to stay from CP or Dwight, what FA's are trying to take less to join them?

With Stan Van Gundy? And Dwight's not just leaving because they can't get it together, he's leaving because he's done with Orlando.

So it's better to both lose talent and then lose both their guys for nothing for one last run?

Lol, whut? So you're telling me that the best center and (arguably) the best pg in the league on the same team will still be disgruntled and want to leave for greener pastures? 

Originally Posted by tim teufel

It's either they take whatever the Knicks give them or deal with an unhappy player that will walk anyway and receive nothing.
If the Nets were willing to give up young talent/players/picks for D Will with no guarantee of him signing an extension, I'll be willing to bet money that another team will be willing to do the same thing with CP3. He doesn't have all the leverage in this situation...If I'm NO, I'd rather let him walk then to take back the Knicks trash (and I'm not even a NY hater)

The Nets just missed out of Carmelo, Utah quick mobbed them in the 25th with that come outta here with something deal, stole all the assets they got together for Melo without any promise of an extension.

Nets did it cuz they had to do something to compete in Brooklyn/attract FAs. This is that shortsightedness backfiring. Other teams won't forget that, especially after dude turned down an extension with the C's....they figured get ____ here and we can talk him into staying...

It was the opposite.... The Nets made a big show about getting Melo, got the Knicks to trade a whole team of dynamic young players, and then got the better player (Williams) for a lower value trade.

CP3, you're a Lakers fan. It's easy for you to accept the way things are. How about the Minnesota fans? Milwaukee, New Orleans, Sacramento, etc?...Those teams can't just get/lure a big time Superstar like the teams that win rings can. Not trying to make you look selfish, but it's no fun for other teams fans.

Besides, it's not even really about accepting the way things are. It's about making it even better than it is. If superstars want to put together these "super" teams, so be it. But might as well contract 4-6 teams so that the overall product is better.

The first round of the playoffs is pretty much a bust. No one cares about those 7th, 8th seeded teams. They usually back in, or don't have any chance at all of going far.

This is the way I see it. I just know know know it can be so much better than it is.

The nets didn't make a big show. They wanted melo. Very badly. And gave up a lot.

People said that the Knicks assets were complete and utter trash. And then want to claim Denver got a boatload of great assets. You can't have it both ways.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

CP3, you're a Lakers fan. It's easy for you to accept the way things are. How about the Minnesota fans? Milwaukee, New Orleans, Sacramento, etc?...Those teams can't just get/lure a big time Superstar like the teams that win rings can. Not trying to make you look selfish, but it's no fun for other teams fans.
This is true. Fans of big market/successful teams just don't see things in our perspective
frown.gif

That isn't true.

The only place stars want go to is somewhere they can build something. If the Knicks, celtics and clippers had no good players at the moment, players wouldn't go there.

The bulls don't get big free agents.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Paul's ONLY shot, is to join a friend or two of his, that is almost as good as him.  Bron/Wade/Bosh, same thing.  KG/Pierce/Allen, never did a gosh damn thing individually, then they teamed up, and made some runs.  It will always be this way.  When Rose and Blake G team up in a few years, they will run things, Durant and Dwight Howard, titles.  John Wall, and some JR in high school right now in the league in 8 years, title chance. 

The rest is just fodder.  Plain, and simple, fodder. 
prayer_child+and+dog.jpg

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

This is true. Fans of big market/successful teams just don't see things in our perspective
frown.gif
I don't deny that larger markets can offer more based only on their location, but there's more than enough examples of large market teams struggling while small market teams succeeded. Nothing about those small-market team's location influences how their GMs make trades or draft. 

This is the way I see it. I just know know know it can be so much better than it is.
How? Not attacking you, but throughout the lockout I saw a lot of complaints but very little solutions offered. 

Contraction. Along with that, eliminate two playoff seeds in each conference. And I actually think a 66 game schedule is perfect for the NBA. I'd keep it.

To your first point...Say one of those teams did hit it big in the draft and lured in another big time free agent. There is still another organization or two out there that will take its place. You'll probably say that this is the case no matter what, but I beg to differ, only in the fact that with 4-6 less teams, your filling rosters with better quality players/talent that is otherwise filled with stop gaps or the 8th man on a "super" team.

Competitive balance is indeed what the NBA could use more of. The LA's, NY's and Bostons will still get their guys, and probably win it, but the product that the other teams put out will be better and more exciting.

Originally Posted by DubA169

That isn't true.

The only place stars want go to is somewhere they can build something. If the Knicks, celtics and clippers had no good players at the moment, players wouldn't go there.

The bulls don't get big free agents.
I could see tripping about 2000, but in hindsight 2010 they had to get rid of Deng to have a shot at anyone, because everyone was a package.
Not to mention Wade and Bron would have been bad fits....

Contraction. Along with that, eliminate two playoff seeds in each conference. And I actually think a 66 game schedule is perfect for the NBA. I'd keep it.

To your first point...Say one of those teams did hit it big in the draft and lured in another big time free agent. There is still another organization or two out there that will take its place. You'll probably say that this is the case no matter what, but I beg to differ, only in the fact that with 4-6 less teams, your filling rosters with better quality players/talent that is otherwise filled with stop gaps or the 8th man on a "super" team.

Competitive balance is indeed what the NBA could use more of. The LA's, NY's and Bostons will still get their guys, and probably win it, but the product that the other teams put out will be better and more exciting.
I've been in full support of a shorter season for awhile, and always thought the playoffs were too long and too easy to get into (at least in the East), so I'm down with those two areas... but wouldn't contradiction hurt the league because by reducing the teams you're removing basketball from 4-6 markets? The T-Wolves, Kings, etc., if their fans were unhappy with being bottom-dwellers before, I doubt they'll be happy about the NBA as a whole improving, when their team is taken. Not to mention, history has shown the difference between being the worst place team and a playoff team can be drafting a superstar and a couple years. How do we decide who to contract? Based on the last ten years? But what about a team like the Kings, that has been lousy the last five years, yet made the playoffs the ten prior. Do you base it on market size? Overall revenue? Preference of the older teams over the newer?
You say with less teams, the rest of the league will have better talent that would otherwise be the 8th man of a super team. For the sake of argument, the 8th man on the Miami Heat based on minutes played was a near-tie with Mike Miller and Carlos Arroyo, and based on PER and ppg, it's James Jones. Over on the Celtics super team, the 8th man was Jeff Green, Krstic, or Glen Davis (by the same measurements, more or less). If you several of those guys were on the Cavs, Kings, Raptors, or Nets, is that the difference between last place in the East and 5th? Because I don't think so. Or does it make watching a Kings v. Nets game any better if you get to watch Jeff Green and James Jones battle Mike Miller and Glen Davis?

I think it's an idea.. but one that has a ton of holes in it and when I look at it this way, I can't support it even in the face of the "problems" of our current NBA.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

NBA straight trolling now,

One team has lebron james chris bosh and dwyane wade on the same team,

Another may have deron williams and dwight howard on the same squad,

Another team has ray allen, KG, Paul Pierce, and Rajon rondo on the same team,

And one may potentially have Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, and Amare stoudemire on the same team?
And this is bad, how?
Never said it was a bad thing, just stating the facts. The league is blossoming because of all the "homies" playing on the same team. I dig it. 

I agree that I'm being a little shoddy with my points, and I've been asked before about what teams to contract. And to be honest, I have no clue how they'd g about doing that and I certainly haven't sat down to come up with the formula. I personally just want it done. So long as if Minnesota is a team to go, they relocate to Seattle.
laugh.gif

Feelings would be hurt if a fans team had to leave, but my take is that if they haven't much chance in the league anyway, might as well cut them and stop providing that city with false hope. Cut throat, I know.

And you're right on the last point. A team so top heavy may not have the best supporting cast, but my thinking is that a lot of those guys would be out of the league. Becauase of the contracts these super teams are giving to get the elite of the elite, the super teams will still have to have some bottom feeders of even a contracted league, but other teams would transition from having maybe one or two above average players to 5 or 6 that are above average, making them much more competitive and more likely to keep interest from the fanbase.

It's a dream, but in my opinion that could be the NBA's ticket to dominating baseball and even sneaking up on the NFL. There is that much of a craving for great basketball like that. We know this. Not like football, but there's still a huge gap that can be tightened to make the NBA much more of an all around desirable ticket.

Make this the official CP3 thread asap. All news/rumors in here instead of other ones

Didn't we have an official Carmelo Trade thread last season???
laugh.gif

^yup
laugh.gif

Lol, whut? So you're telling me that the best center and (arguably) the best pg in the league on the same team will still be disgruntled and want to leave for greener pastures? 

Don't change the subject now. You were saying if CP3 was traded to a team he didn't say he'd give an extension with, would he change his mind.

Him to the Magic with less talent than they already had and no cap space...I doubt it.

10027 wrote:
MrONegative wrote:

It was the opposite.... The Nets made a big show about getting Melo, got the Knicks to trade a whole team of dynamic young players, and then got the better player (Williams) for a lower value trade.

That's all assuming he stays. And who was calling them dynamic young players while they were with us?
eyes.gif

I see your concerns, and it's definitely easier to poke holes in an argument than to make one myself.. but that's most of my point, just like I can see the issues with contraction, people can see the problems with the current system, yet another alternative isn't as easy to come up with.
I think a lot of us can agree a more balanced league could lead to better competition, but how we reach that balance is the problem.. because I think it's very difficult or even impossible.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

frown.gif

You're a Kings fan. Can we not act like the Kings didn't choke away their chance to make it to the Finals?

Can we not ignore the fact that Minnesota had KG his whole career and failed to surround him with the necessary pieces to win. They made so many inept decisions that prevented them from succeeding.

Let's not ignore these things while y'all cry woe is me.

Back
Top Bottom