Religion - Real Talk

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Those things matter because I know when you say goodbye at a funeral you say goodbye forever.

When you say "know", that is the same as our faith, correct?

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

And how does that make him insecure exactly? I swear people throw that word around too much.
You're still bent out of shape for getting called insecure?
laugh.gif

Back to the topic:

I personally believe religion is a hoax and for the weak minded. Human beings need a crutch to combat the fear of dying. The very thought of "lights out, nothing happens" terrifies the %$+% out of a majority of people.

But what about the people who don't focus on the after life or dying, but just improving the world around them? Is it still a crutch?
I don't understand your question, please elaborate.

OP, i'd rather find myself in the exact situation i'm in. I was religious but saw many contradictions in it and it had no evidence to back up its' crazy claims (god included too) so i slowly turned away from it. My parents didn't like it, my Christian "friends" didn't either but i'm glad with myself because i'm not falling for religion to satisfy, comfort, guide, or delude me to anything.

I just would feel terrible if I had to reply to questions with, "That is what I believe," and not having and solid arguments behind my reasoning.

What situation would you rather find yaself in, one where u believe in sumthin and find out that it was false and there are no repercussions, or one where you dont belive in sumthin and it turns out to be real and then theres Hell to pay? Just puttin the question out there, since I see so much bashin of ppl who believe in religion and a higher power.
I would RATHER believe in something and find out that it was false and there are no repercussions.

BUT, I can't MAKE myself believe in SOMETHING if I don't believe in it.

What the OP is describing is called Pascal's Wager. The problem with it though is that if there really is a God and he has the powers people speak of and you fear, he will know your intentions. If he is an all powerful being, do you really think you can beat him on a technicality by saying you will believe just in case so you don't go to hell? Answer is no. By the way, I do not believe in religion.
This was ALWAYS my thought process.

I had a friend that smoked some weeds in Vegas and turned into a Jesus freak, he always asks me, "Why not just believe, you have nothing to lose."

And I always say, "Well wouldn't your ALL KNOWING man in the sky KNOW that I am doing it just to cash out at the end?"

That is why this idea of, "Just be sorry and ask God for forgiveness and everything will be straight." - Nah, how?

What situation would you rather find yaself in, one where u believe in sumthin and find out that it was false and there are no repercussions, or one where you dont belive in sumthin and it turns out to be real and then theres Hell to pay? Just puttin the question out there, since I see so much bashin of ppl who believe in religion and a higher power.
Why are you assuming that if you believe in something and it's false there's no repercissions?

You can believe in one religion and an entirely different religion could be the right one.

This stance is a logical fallacy.

Its not just no repercussions or hell to pay :lol:

Last edited:
I have a daily ongoing battle with this.

Everyone around me believes in Jesus, and I want to too because it makes me feel like something has control over my life and everything will be ok in the long run... But it just feels like fairy tales to me. I have never seen crazy **** like someone parting a sea, rising from the dead or souls leaving the body so I choose not to think it happened. I need facts. It makes sense that when you die you have no energy left, so your brain which controls your entire consciousness cuts off. You don't even know your dead. That makes sense. People just have a hard time dealing with that so they choose to believe in heaven. But does it really matter if you don't even know your dead? You didn't know you didn't exist before you were born.

But what do I know. The idea of life period is just ******* insane.

I do believe that SOMETHING created Earth and everything else though. That's what I call God. I can't walk outside and see the world and believe that it's a result of some big bang. Nah b

Last edited:
^ So where do you believe God came from?

You say you want to believe but it sounds like you don't really want to believe.

Why do you WANT to feel like something is controlling your existence?

I know the thread about this was locked but this is pretty powerful stuff.

The stuff going on with the Catholic church is disgusting. Wide spread network of pedophiles in power using God's word as a means of control.

I feel that that's what it comes down to. It's all about control. The 3 abrahamic religions are the worst offenders of this.

Back
Top Bottom