Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

If there's more qualified people, Lemme see em, but if we talkin bout promotion from with in and giving people a fair shake who have earned it just peepthis:

In 2004, his first year on the Vol coaching staff, he worked with running backs. It may have been no coincidence that Tennessee produced two 1,000-yard rushers that fall - Gerald Riggs (1,107) and Cedric Houston (1,005) - for the first time in program history.
In 2006, his third year on the Vol coaching staff, Taylor was asked to oversee a receiver corps that had underachieved so badly in '05 that it cost assistant coach Pat Washington his job. Statistically, what Trooper accomplished with the wideouts last fall was even more imposing than what he accomplished with Riggs and Houston in 2004.

Consider:

Robert Meachem improved from 29 catches in 2005 to 71 in 2006, from 383 yards to 1,298, from 13.2 yards per catch to 18.3 and from 2 touchdowns to 11.

Jayson Swain improved from 27 catches in 2005 to 49 in 2006, from 380 yards to 688 and from zero touchdowns to 6.

Bret Smith improved from 21 catches in 2005 to 39 in 2006, from 223 yards to 453, from 10.6 yards per catch to 11.6 and from 3 touchdowns

pimp.gif

If you got great in house talent, keep it in house. I put what he's done in 3 yrs up against any other Assistant Head Coaches 3 yrs

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

LMAO, NEVER gonna happen. You know why too
Unfortunately, I do know why, its sad really.
as much as he has done in his 3 yrs at UT.
My dude went from RB coach in 1 yr, to turning around the entire WR unit (Meachem, Swayne & B. Smith) to Assistant Head Coach because UT knew he was gonna take the Howard HC job. they need to do right by him and whats right for the team they need to offer him that position, I promise he's gonna get looks at head coaching positions somewhere soon. As far as best Recruiters in the SEC, I'd put him up there with Dan Mullins and the one cat at UGA (forgot his name)
UT is not gonna put their OC in the hands of someone that doesn't have any coordinator experience.

Rich Rodriguez was in Toledo to talk to Mary Sue Coleman and Bill Martin about the Michigan HC job. Some things about this meeting:
1. BIG buyout. $4million
2. He and Belien did not get along at WVU
3. People think he and the administration would be butting heads alot.
4. Listened to Bama last year and the last minute stayed at WVU.

I was sent an email that the 3 names to watch out for this week were Jim Grobe (Monday and Tuesday), Rich Rod (Friday) and Greg Schiano agaon (word is he hasthought about it and thinks he may have made a mistake). The email I recieved was from a guy that is VERY close to the hiring process and has been in themiddle of things.

I don't see much going on with this because MSC and BM are already coming back to Ann Arbor as we speak. Rumors are that they have given him a take it orleave it offer. Just like Schiano who took it, then woke up and backed out of it.

update on UCLA coaching search since i no yall want to hear about it
laugh.gif

- Rick Neuheisel got a interview yesterday. it was proably just to shut up the boosters that want him, most dont want him touching UCLA cuz the way he doggedthem when he didnt get the job last time. and that fact he left both his programs in worse shape when he left then when he got there.

-Hawaii Coach June Jones had His name throwing around but most have said it was just to get a better contract with Hawaii. he is only getting paid 800,000 ayear

-Interm Head Coach/Defense coach Dewayne Walker had a interview early this week. He has helped turn this D around and is a good recruiter, but doesnt have thatmuch expereince is the down side. The main push for walker is he is already in the program, a up and coming coach that is going to get Jod offers from otherssoon and that most of the big time recurits ucla has will stay if walker stays

-Philadelphia Eagles assistant John Harbaugh WHO THE $$#! IS THAT?? will get a interview monday. all im say is if we hire him im become a USC fan i swear togod.

-Norm Chow looks to be the leading person for the job. i wouldnt mind getting him, dude knows his X's and O's and how to run a offense. he has beenaround a minute is the only downside but knows a !$@% load of people to bring in good asstansts for help. the big knock on him is that he has interview for acouple of jobs and didnt get them so we will see.

-Steve Mariucci name still comes up but he is asking for to much money

-Terry Bowden throw his name in it but ucla ant talked to him

Brent Hubbs
VolQuest.com Editor

Talk about it in The General's Quarters
David Cutcliffe's second tenure as Tennessee's offensive coordinator will come to an end January 1st after the Outback Bowl. As Cutcliffe will be introduced as the head coach at Duke at 5pm.

And for the first time in his tenure, head coach Phillip Fulmer will conduct a true search for a coordinator. In what you can call, a defining moment in Fulmer's legacy.

In 1995 when Larry Marmie left as defensive coordinator, Fulmer promoted John Chavis. In 1998 when Cutcliffe left to go to Ole Miss, Fulmer promoted Randy Sanders, a long time assistant who was groomed under Cutcliffe. When Sanders left after the 2005 season, Fulmer made one call which was to Cutcliffe to return.

This time, there is not a long time assistant who has been groomed to take over the reins as Fulmer's signal caller and no old friend with a couple of decades of experience waiting in the wings.

It is expected that Cutcliffe will try and take running backs coach Kurt Roper and tight ends coach Matt Luke with him. Under their current contracts, both would have to pay the University a half year of their base salary if either leaves for a job that is considered a lateral move.

Wide receiver coach Trooper Taylor, who has been on the staff since 2004, certainly has a desire to be a coordinator and would love the opportunity. Taylor has never been a coordinator before and is reportedly set to interview for the offensive coordinator job at Baylor.

Offensive line coach Greg Adkins would have a desire as well, but like Taylor, Adkins has never had play-calling duties and has never been a coordinator before. Adkins has drawn praise this year for his work with the offensive line.

Fulmer said on Friday that he would certainly look at promoting within his staff, but would explore every possibility.

"I'd certainly search the whole scenario and do whatever I felt like would be the best thing for us," Fulmer said.

If Fulmer went outside of his staff, two possible candidates would be two former Vol assistant coaches.

Detriot Lions receivers coach Kippy Brown was the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach at Tennessee in 1993-1994. Brown is in his 15th year in the NFL. During that time he was the offensive coordinator with the Dolphins and with the Texans. Brown's son Jerome still lives in the Knoxville area and over the summer Brown expressed a desire to some of his friends to get back this way if the opportunity presented itself.

Another likely candidate would be former Vol assistant Doug Marrone, who was the tight ends and offensive tackles coach in 2001. Marrone left to take a job with the New York Jets and is now the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for the Saints. While he is the coordinator by title, Saints head coach Sean Payton is said to be the play caller in New Orleans. Marrone has family ties to Tennessee. His father-in-law is former MTSU athletic director Boots Donnelly. Marrone is also good friends with current Vol offensive line coach Greg Adkins.

A darkhorse could be former graduate assistant and current New York Jets tight ends coach Jason Michael. Michael earned plenty of praise from the staff when he was in Knoxville, but certainly lacks experience not only has a play caller but just overall coaching experience.

Word is Coach Fran talked himself out of an interview for the SMU job...Apparently he was the leading candidate, but said some things during the initialcontact stage that didn't sit well with SMU higher-ups...

I think my Canes are gonna have a good recruiting class. Just hoping that the injury to Jacory Harris ain't that serious so that he can compete with RobertMarve for the QB position. Them Northwestern Boys are SERIOUS! They just killed Orlando Boone 41-0 and at least we got 6 of them going to UM
smile.gif
Chances arethey are going anywhere else since 3 of them said on TV they are gonna enroll in January since they can compete for early PT. This recruiting class is NICEconsidering that they stick to their commitment and the terrible season we had. We'll see what happens at The U

^ Nope, not really....You have to really wait until the Bowl game or until bowl game practices etc, get fully underway....

Tim Walton out as defensive coordinator for Miami

Kent Baer fired as Defensive corrdinator for washington rumors are they will go after ron english or dwyane walker

holy %++% mike Bellotti interviewed for the UCLA job and has a offer will answer ucla in the next couple of days

UCLA coaching search is becoming
laugh.gif
and
tired.gif
. Dwalker and Rick Neuheisel looked to be the 2 leaders. but now UCLA and flowing up to SFto Oregon state coach Mike Riley this morning.

John Fox name name has now come up if he gets fired by the panthers and some how mike martz name has come into play

o and this bum John Harbaugh has got a 2nd interview
tired.gif

some how mike martz name has come into play

laugh.gif
O MY GOD, If Mike Martz brought his offensive principals to an half way decent school, he'd be able to recruit any offensive player in America.

you think kids could learn that offense in college tho gunna??

and Ron english to Lousville. which is a great pick

Back
Top Bottom