Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

It sounds like Johnson in his father are in different places on his recruitment. Pops seems to like Miami. Son? Not so much...

From UGA's Rivals site...

"I had a great visit up to Georgia and I am very happy I went," said Jones as he was heading back to South Florida. "I have thought about visiting Georgia for a while and I am glad me and my parents came up this weekend."

This was the first time the five-star cornerback out of Ely High School in Pompano Beach visited Athens. He liked what I saw.

"Athens is a true college town," he said. "It has a great feel and it is really what a college town is supposed to be. The people, the town, the location and everything is just right."

"I really feel like that is the type of place I should be and the type of people I should be surrounded by."

The Georgia crowd impressed the 6-foot-1, 193-pound lock down corner as well.

"They are true college fans and they really support their team. They were loud, they were always on their feet and I they gave it a nice feel in the stadium."

"I am opening things back up now," said Johnson. "I am open to other schools and not committed to Miami. I am now looking at Georgia, LSU, USC and Florida too."

"My last visit will be to USC the first week in December and then I will make my final decision."

...from UM's Rivals site...

A Georgia website reported yesterday that, after an official visit to the school, Johnson said, "I am opening things back up now. I am open to other schools and not committed to Miami. I am now looking at Georgia, LSU, USC and Florida too."

Not so fast, says Patrick's father.

"He didn't decommit," Patrick Sr. said. "The commitment is still there. Everything's still the same. You know how that goes - you hear different stuff from different people.

"Pat knows what he's doing."

Dad adds that "The commitment should still be there when it comes time to lock it down. He's still there. He just wants to keep his options open, see other schools, what they have to offer. The University of Miami is his first goal."

I think PJ ends up at USC when it's all over...

AJ Harmon was in Athens on Saturday. I'd much rather have him than Johnson...

wow first the OB disaster, now this story. good lord, the U needs to fill holes at literally EVERY position except Running Back. AND they're going to losePhillips and Campbell to the draft next year. thanks Coker.

frown.gif

At USC possibly getting Johnson.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by acidicality

if Tedford bolted to Michigan it would be a very sad day for Cal football
frown.gif
although I doubt it would happen, he's passed on offers from the pros as well as other schools that woulda netted him more bank.He seems like a loyal coach that really wants to bring us to the Rose Bowl. But of course I could be totally wrong.
real talk, Tedford is not that good of a coach. he is a coach that will jump start a program but they will never hit the coner and be elite. he has bring cal a long way thats for sure but they will never be a eilte team. now maybe with the talent he can bring in at michigan it would be different but i dont see much changing. and the QB wiz has showing nothing with the bums back there at QB the past few years
yeah, it's true he hasn't yet turned us to an elite program yet, but definitely a very respectable winning football team. he did almost leadus to a Rose Bowl but Texas kinda robbed us that year..it was really wack how we lost it to Texas on the final weekend, only because we didn't blowout theopponent, and Tedford didn't run up the score at the end when he could have.
mad.gif
that's what i hate about college football, politics is a big factor, and Mack Brown did a good job that year. no bitter feelings tho, although itwas messed up.

and of his QBs, in recent years they have been bums i can't deny that (Longshore and Ayoob). but Rodgers and even Boller were very good. And from what itlooks like, Riley seems like the real deal although it's definitely premature to say so after 1 very impressive showing, almost leading us to victorycoming from behind in his first ever start, which is very impressive. longshore woulda just thrown a couple picks
indifferent.gif
. Tedford definitely teaches his QBs the right mechanics and stuff likethat, but I still think decisionmaking is still solely on the QB; they gotta make the right ones in crunch time.

But thinking about it, if Tedford bolts, I have no idea who we would hire...and it won't happen. He's almost GOD status at Cal
roll.gif
because we were THAT bad before. I guess the expectations have really been raisedtho. I can't see him getting fired anytime soon unless we have a couple more seasons of mediocrity like this season.

Levantee McCray has opened up his recruting as well Cane fans....And Matt Patchan was none to happy about Miami's effort this weekend....

November 11, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine
CaneSport.com
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Seffner (Fla.) Armwood High School OL Matt Patchan picked the final game at the Orange Bowl for his official visit weekend.

And he witnessed a 48-0 slaughter at the stadium. Growing up with a former Cane as a father and as a UM fan himself, that didn't sit well.

"They played terribly," he said. "That was extremely tough to watch. Guys after the game - there's too many guys that just it doesn't bother them that they lost the game. There's too many guys now at the U that `It's okay we lost, well what am I going to do tonight?' Like it doesn't mean anything. They need to get rid of those type of guys. One of the guys not like that is (Robert) Marve. Marve's a high character guy.

"Anytime you lose there's no way around that - if you lose a game, you cannot be satisfied. There's no positives, no nothing. Some of these guys need to get it through their head that that's the reality. They don't understand."

If Patchan seems passionate about Miami's current shortcomings, that's because he is.

"There's a lot of things that go into this," he said. "I've always been a Cane. I grew up watching them. All I've heard growing up was Hurricanes."

And Cane fans no doubt hope his personal interest in the situation could mean he'll pick UM in the end. But he's noncommittal on what he'll do.

"Look, the visit was till a good experience for me," said Patchan, who went in the locker room after the game. "It was fun. I've been to Miami a bit. It adds to everything that goes into the decision process. It adds more information."

Asked if his take that there are players at UM that aren't passionate about never losing a game and whether that would make him shy away from the Canes, Patchan said, "There's going to be one or two guys like that wherever you go. You need leaders to step up and say something in the locker room. You can't have freshmen trying to get the team pepped up. You should have your seniors that are getting ready to go in the draft, their last home game, they should be able to step up, say `Hey look, you're not going to screw up my season. We need to work our butts off.'"

Patchan added, "Half those guys in Miami uniforms shouldn't be there. They physically don't cut it. A lot of those guys were wasted scholarships. That was Miami's fault in recruiting. You can't take a guy who doesn't know how to play football and ask him to do things that are expected out of University of Miami players."

Patchan said he doesn't view the current Cane struggles as a sign he can come in and play right away. The way he sees it, he can play at any school if he works hard enough.

"Wherever I go, if the team is 13-0, wins the title or whatever, or they're 0-12, I still feel like wherever I go I'll be able to make an impact my freshman year, work my butt off to where I need to be," Patchan said. "That's just my mentality."

While the game wasn't a highlight for Patchan, he says a trip to another stadium was.

He got a tour of Dolphin Stadium with coaches Jeff Stoutland and Joe Pannunzio.

"That was cool," Patchan said. "It's a real nice facility. They showed me a lot of good stuff when we were there."

Patchan and his father met with coach Randy Shannon this morning.

"We talked to him about a lot of things," Patchan said. "He agreed with me about leadership, that they need leaders, need guys to step up and do things, that they need good recruits."

Patchan was hosted on the visit by Derrick Morse.

"He's a real good kid - I like him a lot," Patchan said.

The big question: The chances he'll be a Cane now.

"This visit I'll suck in, set it aside, focus on my high school season so we can win a state championship," he said. "After that's over I'm going to sit down and talk to my parents and decide."

Asked to say if the visit was very good, good or not so good, Patchan paused.

Finally he said, "I don't know."

Matt Patchan is acting like he is Jonathon Odgen or Orlando Pace. This +@$%+#$#+! hasn't played a down in D-1 football and he is calling out guys startingat the highest level of football. True or not is not the question, its a level of respect. This douch is acting like he has solidfied himself as a bonafide AllAmerican because his daddy played some ball. What a +%$!. This is like the fifth school and conference that he has called out. Get your #!*! to gym class highschooler, you ain't @@%% yet. I hope this clown falls flat on his face when he goes to school. Complete jagoff.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Matt Patchan is acting like he is Jonathon Odgen or Orlando Pace. This +@$%+#$#+! hasn't played a down in D-1 football and he is calling out guys starting at the highest level of football. True or not is not the question, its a level of respect. This douch is acting like he has solidfied himself as a bonafide All American because his daddy played some ball. What a +%$!. This is like the fifth school and conference that he has called out. Get your #!*! to gym class high schooler, you ain't @@%% yet. I hope this clown falls flat on his face when he goes to school. Complete jagoff.
Co-Sign. Dude talkin bout players that arent build for the U .
laugh.gif
wow just wow. I Wouldnt want to have a locker next to this dude at all.

Originally Posted by dreClark

You mad???

Yes. This dude has done the same amount as I have on a college football field yet he thinks he has the right to question their heart? The kid is going toput a lot of bulletin board material up for his teams rival school and for a guy that won't touch the ball once in a game, that might not be a good move.Whoever is getting him is getting a guy that thinks his *@@! don't stink and believes he has the answers to everything. I might just cal him Matt"Rush Limbaugh" Patchan.

Yes. This dude has done the same amount as I have on a college football field yet he thinks he has the right to question their heart?

Just because he hasn't done crap at the college level yet, doesn' tmean he isn't right. You can't convince me that UVA is 48 points better thanMiami, at the Orange Bowl, in the last game ever no less. Damn straight he should question their heart because they obviously didn't play with any and wentout and embarrassed themselves.

I'm sure if he was in the locker room with some of the guys and made those comments about some players not caring about the loss and focusing on going outafter the game, he's probably telling the truth.

His comments about some of hte athletes not being built for the U were out of line, but don't even try to tell me that Miami's heart shouldn't bequestioned after that game.

the performance by miami on saturday was embarrassing....i'm glad the days of Lance Leggett are almost over.....
smh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
anyone see the new ESPN Gameday commercial where Desmond Howard is cutting Chris Fowler's hair and he zeeked him and Herbie is back there dyin
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Matt Patchan is acting like he is Jonathon Odgen or Orlando Pace. This +@$%+#$#+! hasn't played a down in D-1 football and he is calling out guys starting at the highest level of football. True or not is not the question, its a level of respect. This douch is acting like he has solidfied himself as a bonafide All American because his daddy played some ball. What a +%$!. This is like the fifth school and conference that he has called out. Get your #!*! to gym class high schooler, you ain't @@%% yet. I hope this clown falls flat on his face when he goes to school. Complete jagoff.

i dont see why people get hyped up to what a recurit has to say about a school, his comments are valid about Miami in the 1st place and he is a fan of themso he is talking like a fan. just because he says some comments like that you hope the kid falls on his face??

and the only people that get hyped up or mad about what a recruit said about a rival school is the fans

Originally Posted by rocketzballa23

Haha it can't get any worse for Miami, Patrick Johnson de-committed from them this weekend. Hopefully FSU can hold on to all of our recruits.

Looks like he had a blast at Georgia this past weekend. I believe he's visiting SC for the UCLA game, so hopefully Pete can work his charm
smokin.gif

to Kenobi: you just proved my point, OSU wasn't that good this year, they were not what the nation thought they were this year or last year. they wereranked in the top 15 to start the year and had a weak schedule. what i was saying about preseason polls is that they are useless and are only good for boostingweaker teams to higher ranks i.e. tOSU not having to play any comp. to get to number one. a midseason poll would be better. and im definitely not salty, sorry,and o- states program isn't that great. put them in the pac-10 they would have at least 2 losses already and if they were in the SEC they would havepossibly four or five losses, hasn't the years past taught you anything the big ten (11) is weak and they cant stop a spread offense. hahaha a spreadoffense thats what college football is built on and the great sweater vest wearing Jimmy T can't stop it lol. Thats what happens when you dont play anyteams that will be ranked at the end of the season. and oh yeah i could get 22 guys to go 10-1 with that weak schedule. hahaha. and for the record they werentthat great last year either as the NC showed. they are products of a weak conference and an even weaker schedule. have fun in Pasadena, the home of the secondplace football, Buckeye fan. O-H!

the rolling smiley face cant hide the tears buckeye fan. dont forget you guys lost to a 15 point dog. im as happy as i can possibly be since the luckeyesfinally got slapped up. hey, you think you guys cant stop mike hart if he ran the same play 3 times on third down at the middle/end of the fourth, hmmm,probably not. lol,

it is all falling apart for Miami...

[h3]http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/27297[/h3]
[h3]Visiting recruits critical of Canes[/h3] [h5]Posted: Wednesday November 14, 2007 06:29AM ET[/h5]
Several football players being recruited heavily by Miami sharply criticized Canes players this week. And the Canes don't want to hear it. On Tuesday, UM players reacted angrily to comments by Seffner Armwood High offensive tackle Matt Patchan. But UM oral commitment Marcus Forston of Miami Northwestern and UM target Brandon Harris of Miami Booker T. Washington said in phone interviews that Patchan's comments were dead-on. Patchan, who attended UM's 48-0 loss to Virginia, told canesport.com that 'there's too many guys that it doesn't bother them that they lost the game. There's too many guys now at the U that [say], `It's OK we lost. Well, what am I going to do tonight?' Like it doesn't mean anything. They need to get rid of those types of guys.'' UM players reacted angrily.

Back
Top Bottom