Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Jasmine actually is a singer/songwriter. And she was big before social media ever got to the point it’s at. I believe “bust your windows” came out in like 2008.

Singers like her have a real, core fanbase

Nah, she had a big drop off after her second album and then had a five plus year wait for this past album.

Her career was practically dead as a big label artist. She was moving towards that indie lane where you are basically a adult contemporary artist played next to new Charlie Wilson, Vivan Green and Avant that most people don't know still put out music. RCA believed in her though. She's talked about her struggles.

Nah, she had a big drop off after her second album and then had a five plus year wait for this past album.

Her career was practically dead as a big label artist. She was moving towards that indie lane where you are basically a adult contemporary artist played next to new Charlie Wilson, Vivan Green and Avant that most people don't know still put out music. RCA believed in her though. She's talked about her struggles.

I’m just saying. There’s always a lane for an older act to bubble and drop a new hit every few years. You can reinvent yourself and sort of slip through the cracks and get another hit in.

Kind of like Ron Isley. Ron caught like a 3rd wind in the 90s and 2000s. Same like Charlie Wilson as you exclaimed. Ron was dropping new bangers at 60+ years old. Literally new, fresh songs as a 60 year old.

Look at Tank. Tank remixed his first hit, some 20 years later and struck again.

There’s always space for this type of revival

Imagine if Jaheim wasn’t so down bad, he could do something similar to tank and remix his hits.

The original “I deserve” dropped in like 2001. Tank remixed it and it’s currently on every urban R&B radio station in 2022.

Last edited:
My thing is that the Latto's, Meg's and Sweetie's are the few. with more label support. It's literally a thousand stripper rappers right now. Either ones right off the pole or faking like they just got off in order to fit in.

Chicks who were just IG candy like Rubi Rose who suddenly become artist, because some dudes thinks he can get a lick writing and get them caught up in a deal. I keep wondering if it's a front, because women are more expensive to maintain. I know already these chicks can't have their paperwork straight, because most aren't even real artist. They're happy for the fame and image of money.

It's the exact opposite of the Nicki days. I'm just waiting for the **** to crash.

I don't think it's any different from the trap/drill scene for dudes, where most of them were street ****** who happen to rap sparingly, and use music as a quick in & out.

Most of these chicks probably know they aren't gonna be making hits & touring the world, but if shorty looks good chances are she already has a big following, releasing the music just becomes more promo for whatever else she's doing.

We all know there's A LOT of fronting for social media but i truly believe a lot of these women are making well over 6 figures a year doing this so i don't see it slowing down anytime soon

I’m just saying. There’s always a lane for an older act to bubble and drop a new hit every few years.

Kind of like Ron Isley. Ron caught like a 3rd wind in the 90s and 2000s. Same like Charlie Wilson as you exclaimed.

Look at Tank. Tank literally remixed his first hit, 20 years later and struck again.

There’s always space for this type of revival

Imagine if Jaheim wasn’t so down bad, he could do something similar to tank and remix his hits.

The original “I deserve” dropped in like 2001. Tank remixed it and it’s currently on every urban R&B radio station in 2022.

Tank has a lane, but it's not a popular one. Who listens to urban R&B radio? People 50+. I haven't listened to radio in 10+ years. I barely even listen to satellite in my car.

Tank puts out indie product.

Jazmine went back up to being one of the most popular R&B singers along with Summer, HER and SZA.

That's like Tank going back up to being on The Weekend level.

I don't think it's any different from the trap/drill scene for dudes, where most of them were street ****** who happen to rap sparingly, and use music as a quick in & out.

Most of these chicks probably know they aren't gonna be making hits & touring the world, but if shorty looks good chances are she already has a big following, releasing the music just becomes more promo for whatever else she's doing.

We all know there's A LOT of fronting for social media but i truly believe a lot of these women are making well over 6 figures a year doing this so i don't see it slowing down anytime soon

And if they don’t blow, they’ve got the attention of celebrities, athletes or dudes who have money who will save them and keep sponsoring their lifestyle. It’s basically a means to be seen by prospective suitors.

I think a lot of them are making money too but remember, a 6 figure salary also means you’re living a 6 figure lifestyle. Those bills and material purchases pile up the same way as someone living check to check.

Tank has a lane, but it's not a popular one. Who listens to urban R&B radio? People 50+

Tank puts out indie product.

Jazmine went back up to being one of the most popular R&B singers along with Summer, HER and SZA.

That's like Tank going back up to being on The Weekend level.

People 50+? :lol: :lol:

A lot of people in their late 20s and early 30s still consume R&B. That R&B concert in Vegas recently (with the Ginuwine struggle dance) was sold out.

You think only 50 year olds listen to R&B?

Tank is HIGHLY popular amongst women. Young and old. Why do you think he was on Drink Champs and Yee podcast? Dude is popular as hell

People 50+? :lol: :lol:

A lot of people in their late 20s and early 30s still consume R&B. That R&B concert in Vegas recently (with the Ginuwine struggle dance) was sold out.

You think only 50 year olds listen to R&B?

Do you READ at all?

You mentioned radio. Who listens to radio?

and what were the ages of the people at that Ginuwine concert? They weren't in their 20's.

That's why Ella Mai and Queen Naija are touring with Mary.

Do you READ at all?

You mentioned radio. Who listens to radio?

and what were the ages of the people at that Ginuwine concert? They weren't in their 20's.

That's why Ella Mai and Queen Naija are touring with Mary.

Okay. Non radio…

What’s your rebuttal

119 million views

80 million views….

Okay. Non radio…

What’s your rebuttal

119 million views

80 million views….

Nobody young is listening to him

Do you not understand what I'm saying?

Even if you want to get in to that antiquated example you used, radio, Tank ain't being played on Hot 97 or Power 105. He's getting on adult contemporary radio that people 50+ listen to.

That's why he charts high on the adult contemporary charts. Do you not understand it's a difference?

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Most of the ladies selling sex in the music ain’t in it for the album sales and music related stuff…They trying to make a quick jump into legit “celebrity status” that opens up other lanes for em

And chicks luv hearing bout freaky **** and seeing twerkers as much as we do so they consume all of that :lol

It’s funny cause the City Girls ain’t even city girls. They’re simps (or whatever the word is for women). But yea most of these women just looking to get chose and there will always be some Dejounte Murray out there for them.

Nah, I don't think so. I think there's not an alternative, and a lot of women I'm around notice Chloe twerking and ruining her Disney image.

Women, like pretty/sexy/attractive women doing sexual things.

They may occasionally say they don’t, but their pocketbooks & playlists say otherwise. None of them are making music/twerking/half naked for straight men to just drool over and throw money/support. We know none of us really listen to or consume it. We watch a video on mute, might like a picture and keep it moving :lol.

But you go to the comments…and it’s women going “ooh, she ate”, “it’s giving”….etc etc. That’s engagement. That’s a customer. Essentially women and gay men of a certain demo consume this. That’s who it’s marketed to. It’s what they want. They support, engage, and purchase. Then try to imitate etc.

It’s also the same concept as why straight women go to Strip clubs, and throw money on female strippers. You talk to most women (20-40ish), they find male strippers Wack.

When Meg & Cardi made “WAP”….you knew who that was for.

Tems fine. Natural thick. Ain’t know shorty was like that.

Award show hella dry. Got damn

seen yo comment and had to hit the googles....a triangle choke would be amazing...

E0cpbppVkAET7FN.jpg
Capture.JPG

Women, like pretty/sexy/attractive women doing sexual things.

They may occasionally say they don’t, but their pocketbooks & playlists say otherwise. None of them are making music/twerking/half naked for straight men to just drool over and throw money/support. We know none of us really listen to or consume it. We watch a video on mute, might like a picture and keep it moving :lol:.

But you go to the comments…and it’s women going “ooh, she ate”, “it’s giving”….etc etc. That’s engagement. That’s a customer. Essentially women and gay men of a certain demo consume this. That’s who it’s marketed to. It’s what they want. They support, engage, and purchase. Then try to imitate etc.

It’s also the same concept as why straight women go to Strip clubs, and throw money on female strippers. You talk to most women (20-40ish), they find male strippers Wack.

When Meg & Cardi made “WAP”….you knew who that was for.

Are they listening because they prefer it, or because it's the the only way they're being represented?

Black people used to support us being represented in racist stereotypes, because that's what we saw and there weren't alternatives in our depiction.

We constantly talk about how Meg's sales don't match her "popularity" and being marketed for a reason.

It's not a coincidence that it's white people pushing black death and over sexualization.

:rofl:

I'm about to go back and actually watch the BET awards.

Nah, I don't think so. I think there's not an alternative, and a lot of women I'm around notice Chloe twerking and ruining her Disney image.
Any chick with Disney or any of those kiddie shows drop that image the second they're 18 and decide to move their career and want to be seen as an adult.

Only chick I see still holding on to that image is iCarly.

The rest are all twerking in music videos and have played prostitutes in movies and/or had wild sex scenes.

Losing that image don't matter cuz they've moved on to a new revenue stream.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom