Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

In the mainstream yeah absolutely, but there are a lot of great lyricists still doing it. Someone mentioned Lupe and yeah, he’s still one of the best, he just gets no credit and no play lol

we’re talking about younger guys. Lupe is almost 40. These rappers that’s 16-30 DGAF about lyrics.

Lupe is of a different era.

And why is it cool that mainstream rap doesn’t promote lyrics? Why is it cool
That mainstream rap is what it is??? That’s the crux of the argument too...

Just to make myself clear, @ no point in this discussion was i talkin about the trappers/mumble rappers.

What they do is more of an off shoot of what we grew up understanding as rap. That bein said tho, even they have figured out how to do a few things better than past greats. Its just hard for me to contextualize exactly what that is bc there style is primarily feel based (vibe). The technicality of what they do is more subtle.

as for the “old heads”, again, 35+, there has no question been advancement in how words are flipped, flows, references, punchlines, concepts, metaphors, deliveries etc. why wouldn’t it be? ITS BEEN 25 YEARS.

this is art people. Its ever changing, evolving and advancing. Really cant understand how this is being refuted. Lol

alotta yall stuck. It happens as you get older. In some ways, im stuck too. Is what it is. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Pujols
Cabrera
Trout
Tatis jr
Guerrero jr
Ohtani

I’ll give you trout and cabrera maybe as hitters... none of them cats was as athletic as griffey and bonds though.

All them dudes is infielders other than Trout......

Just to make myself clear, @ no point in this discussion was i talkin about the trappers/mumble rappers.

as for the “old heads”, again, 35+, there has no question been advancement in how words are flipped, flows, references, punchlines, concepts, metaphors, deliveries etc. why wouldn’t it be? ITS BEEN 25 YEARS.

this is art people. Its ever changing, evolving and advancing. Really cant understand how this is being refuted. Lol

alotta yall stuck. It happens as you get older. In some ways, im stuck too. Is what it is. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Give us an example of this please. Again, categorize it as POP music if you want. Feel free. Don’t call it rap.

Stuck on what? Rap is rap.

That’s like telling the NBA to let 6 players on the court or make the rims 12 feet high.
S*** hasn’t advanced at all.

1631194040088.png

I’ll give you trout and cabrera maybe as hitters... none of them cats was as athletic as griffey and bonds though.

All them dudes is infielders other than Trout......
Trout def 5 tool.

Fun fact, Pujols and Cabrera started their careers as OFers.

What progress has rap made other than corporate America now wanting a part
Trout def 5 tool.

Fun fact, Pujols and Cabrera started their careers as OFers.

“Started” but them managers realized they ain’t have the foot speed. Shoot, I’d throw Andruw Jones in their too. And Vlad, Sr. Them cats were athletic.

Andruw top 3 outfielder defender IMO
Pujols and Cabrera were hitters. Gotta remember I’m from south Florida so of course I remember Marlins Cabrera. Especially 03.

We also haven’t seen anyone close to Rickey Henderson either...

What progress has rap made other than corporate America now wanting a part

“Started” but them managers realized they ain’t have the foot speed. Shoot, I’d throw Andruw Jones in their too. And Vlad, Sr. Them cats were athletic.

Pujols and Cabrera were hitters. Gotta remember I’m from south Florida so of course I remember Marlins Cabrera. Especially 03
I wouldnt consider Jones, vlad sr for sure tho.

Speaking of Outfielders, glad to see Larry Walker get in the HoF :pimp:

Art/art appreciation is as subjective a thing as there is. So there’s no right and wrong; just opinions.

Yeah, it’s indisputable that there have been advancements in recording techniques/equipment that have theoretically improved sound quality and the range of sounds an artist can use, but as far as how someone feels about the final product when it hits their ears, it’s totally individual.

If everything done in today’s present is necessarily superior to what came before it, people wouldn’t still be listening to/playing/recording music from decades and even centuries ago. Same for other forms of art.

You like what you like; I like what I like.

Last edited:
“no hand checking”
“Freedom of movement”
“3 point line”
“No big man in paint”
“No defense played”

These are things you know the previous generation says, that say it’s way easier today, than before. And why their time was better/tougher/harder to make it etc.

Stop fronting :lol:. And there are a few mid-late 00s rappers that have advanced, matched or surpassed some 90s rappers. Have some of them knocked off Big/Pac? Maybe not. But some are knocking on the door, or have the body of work. Same with all these years and a few names only come in the top 10ish area of basketball.

Basketball is subjective as hell too. Stop the 🧢

So who's the NBA version of Travis Scott? Because people will say he's a legend, that's coming.

And Basketball ain't really subjective. It ain't subjective who won the chip. Everybody's top 5 NBA players is gonna be the same dudes in a different order. Everybody's top 5 rappers is gonna be completely different set of rappers in different lanes.

Real off topic but I just saw this film for the first time the other day, and been researching it. Y'all seen 'Eyes Wide Shut'?

Ghostface is better than Hov. Man has dropped fire projects all last decade. Notably Twelve Reason to Die 1 & 2, and that BADBADNOTGOOD joint, He 3peated w/ OB4CL, Ironman, and Supreme Clientele. The bootleg Bulletproof Wallets is fire. The Pretty Toney Album & Fiscal are amazing. PTA is my favourite album. The Big Doe Rehab is amazing, and I'm not dippin in underground/loosie records bag. Man had the greatest rap voice ever. No one can make you feel a bar the way Ghost does. He's just so amazing, the list is too long. Ghost is just Goat.

So who's the NBA version of Travis Scott? Because people will say he's a legend, that's coming.

And Basketball ain't really subjective. It ain't subjective who won the chip. Everybody's top 5 NBA players is gonna be the same dudes in a different order. Everybody's top 5 rappers is gonna be completely different set of rappers in different lanes.

****, idk. People call Iso Joe a “legend”. They call Lou Will a legend. That word is overused in itself anyway. But James Harden if you want for Travis. I don’t love the comp, but I can see it.

And Everybody’s top 5 nba players are going to be different too. Depending on Era. That ain’t set in stone, the way you think it is.

It’s an Accurate parallel. That’s my last on this.

What they do is more of an off shoot of what we grew up understanding as rap. That bein said tho, even they have figured out how to do a few things better than past greats. Its just hard for me to contextualize exactly what that is bc there style is primarily feel based (vibe). The technicality of what they do is more subtle.

No, you keep saying advancement. That would mean that lytically it would be more complex. It's not, that's not even debatable. I posted the **** Pharoahe was doing in the early and mid 90's with his flow and rhyme scheme.

Rapping in melody with autotune/reverb isn't an advancement. That's a change, a change that too many mutha****as are doing. That isn't an advancement.

If rap was so complex now, everybody wouldn't be a ****in rapper. You'll have 35 year olds who just started rapping hoping to get put on. How many times have you heard rapper Lil Blankity Blanky was killed and you had no clue who the **** he was.

Back
Top Bottom