Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I be asking people, lets say the last 5-7 years how much has hip hop advanced? How we consume the music has and business wise things have advanced but the talent and skill of rappers? Umm. Through out the 90's and 00's things advanced because hip hop was very young but at a point around 2014, 15 and 16 things stopped. Being a great rapper, having a high skill level never goes outta style though. From the 90's to now. That's why Griselda is poppin.

Everything around it has advanced in regards to business, but the music itself??? Nah. It's changed but change doesn't always mean advancement. Creativity, styles, lyricism, all haven't advanced IMO. Hell the listenership has regressed imo, a lot of people look at music as a disposable product nowadays.

I'm watching this tonight it's on Peacock
220px-Time_Is_Illmatic_Poster_2014.jpg

I thought this was an album. What't the difference between an album & a mixtape if this is a mixtape?
Hard to tell the difference nowadays. I would mixtapes and albums usually have different approaches when it comes to the type of production used.

Don't take my word for it though.

So we’re assuming pac and big would be relevant these days. Hell relevant in 2010….. also assuming the elite from these days wouldn’t be…..

The most relevant rapper today can't sing but sings and has been rapping about the same **** for ten plus years with no substance.

You act like it's a tough field to compete in or something.

Hip Hop has DEFINITELY advanced. Y’all lying if your saying it hasn’t.

But like Sports, and another BASKETBALL analogy…the greats will be greats in any era. Like Bird, Magic, Mike, Kareem, Wilt etc still top 10 players. But that don’t mean the game ain’t advance and people can’t knock them a lil further down the list.

Advanced backwards.

Your sports analogy is sort of trash, because players are more talented and athletic now, because of individualized skills being practiced and honed.

Now lyricism which is supposed to be at the center of being a rapper is at a early 80's level, because it's about having a good time and having fun.

We need names :emoji_thinking:

even if he did name some current artist/projects that are technically better than prominent albums from the “golden era”, you and people like you would never allow yourselves to see it bc of nostalgia and the pedestal youve placed those albums on over the years.

its not even about the actual MUSIC for alotta people. its about “xyz is what im supposed to think and anything outside of that is sacrilege”.

s*** is not automatically better just bc it was released during your formative years.

even if he did name some current artist/projects that are technically better than prominent albums from the “golden era”, you and people like you would never allow yourselves to see it bc of nostalgia and the pedestal youve placed those albums on over the years.

its not even about the actual MUSIC for alotta people. its about “xyz is what im supposed to think and anything outside of that is sacrilege”.

s*** is not automatically better just bc it was released during your formative years.

Ok, forget what I think.

Your opinion, what current rappers and their albums are better than Pac and Big and their albums? Like we can't just make these statements and not give examples.

How are you better when you aren't lyrically better and have no substance in your music?

^bruh i think you’re focusing on the youngsters/trap sound. Im not really talkin about them.

im talkin about the rappers that we currently have that are about 35+. The dudes that are the current progression of said “golden era”.

Hip Hop has DEFINITELY advanced. Y’all lying if your saying it hasn’t.

But like Sports, and another BASKETBALL analogy…the greats will be greats in any era. Like Bird, Magic, Mike, Kareem, Wilt etc still top 10 players. But that don’t mean the game ain’t advance and people can’t knock them a lil further down the list.

Production has most definitely advanced. Along with the base rap flow. The current standard flow for a long time now has been the “Migos” flow, whereas in the 80s it was basketball is my favorite sport flow. Thank God for Rakim, BDK, and Kool G Rap changing that.

EDIT: yea “changed” is a better phrasing than “advanced” like trynafeelmink trynafeelmink said

Eminem is obviously very lyrically gifted but for the most part has been making garbage songs the past decade, there has to be a balance.

Production has most definitely advanced. Along with the base rap flow. The current standard flow for a long time now has been the “Migos” flow, whereas in the 80s it was basketball is my favorite sport flow. Thank God for Rakim, BDK, and Kool G Rap changing that.

EDIT: yea “changed” is a better phrasing than “advanced” like trynafeelmink trynafeelmink said

I don't think production has even advanced, because that's become like the music and become like rappers where it's ok to sound like other people. And dudes are just beat makers.

I think the technology has changed, but that doesn't mean that it advanced.

Advanced backwards.

Your sports analogy is sort of trash, because players are more talented and athletic now, because of individualized skills being practiced and honed.

Now lyricism which is supposed to be at the center of being a rapper is at a early 80's level, because it's about having a good time and having fun.

.... football for instance ain’t advanced IMO. I still ain’t seen a mfer do what DEION and Barry Sanders did. The rules are also different. The NFL promotes passing and offense.

Basketball might be different. Even with baseball. I ain’t seen a dude comparable to Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey....

like I said, hip hop has advanced in popularity? Yes. But as someone said, the consumer has regressed, as have the rappers.

... you DO realize that Drake, Future, Kendrick, etc will be nostalgic in about 5-10 years? :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

It’ll be even more nostalgic in 15 years :lol:

^bruh i think you’re focusing on the youngsters/trap sound. Im not really talkin about them.

im talkin about the rappers that we currently have that are about 35+. The dudes that are the current progression of said “golden era”.

Again, who? :lol:

This is why I'm like can we have names. It sounds good to say "the genre has advanced so much, you guys are just stuck in the past!!".

Ok cool, now who are these guys that are more advanced skill wise and quality of music?

Look at XXL cover from 2010 - 2021.... it’s not even comparable. And it’s still within the current generation

.... football for instance ain’t advanced IMO. I still ain’t seen a mfer do what DEION and Barry Sanders did. The rules are also different. The NFL promotes passing and offense.

Basketball might be different. Even with baseball. I ain’t seen a dude comparable to Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey....

like I said, hip hop has advanced in popularity? Yes. But as someone said, the consumer has regressed, as have the rappers.

I think dudes need to separate changing and advancing. ****s is going to naturally change. You'll see a 2021 car and the technology is going to be far more advanced than something from the 1960's. Will they long for that 2021 like people do some cars from the 60's? Will a car from 2021 still be drivable in 2070?

Football now is pass focused, not run focused.

I still won't see better highlights than Earl Campbell, Barry, Walter Payton.

I think dudes need to separate changing and advancing. ****s is going to naturally change. You'll see a 2021 car and the technology is going to be far more advanced than something from the 1960's. Will they long for that 2021 like people do some cars from the 60's? Will a car from 2021 still be drivable in 2070?

Football now is pass focused, not run focused.

I still won't see better highlights than Earl Campbell, Barry, Walter Payton.

.... in the car world it’s called a Restomod... I can get a 1969 Dodge Challenger and put all new suspension, drivetrain, modern stereo, tire, disc brakes and a modern engine and that s*** would whoop a lot of new cars.

The F1 McClaren came out in 1995 and that s*** look better than a lot of newer stuff.

The way y'all want to do rap music, I hate to think what you dudes would do with Marvin Gaye, Stevie or even Prince and Michael Jackson.

Would you say some **** like it's time to take them out of the top five?

Do you even educate yourself on them?

Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come, that **** doesn't apply anymore?

The way y'all want to do rap music, I hate to think what you dudes would do with Marvin Gaye, Stevie or even Prince and Michael Jackson.

Would you say some **** like it's time to take them out of the top five?

Do you even educate yourself on them?

Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come, that **** doesn't apply anymore?

... which is exactly why I mentioned bethoveen. Man been dead over 400 years and still got popular music.

Don’t let them find out chuck taylors were invented in 1920.... or that Jordan 1s were designed in 1984.... god forbid we wear older model kicks

Back
Top Bottom