Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

You dudes throw around legend like you do the term classic.

Twista gets brought up in this topic once a year and I never see his videos, and now he's a legend?

Nipsey is legendary based off of way more than music. If it is just music alone, I’m not rollin and I’m a big Nip fan.

His impact seemed to stem from his music but his music wasn't what most people loved him for. Not saying his music wasn't great, because it was good just saying people loved the man more than the artist

You dudes throw around legend like you do the term classic.

How do you define legend?

If Twista a legend then Fabolous is a legend.

And I got a gang of other NY rappers to name that I dont think are legends (in all of hip-hop) that would fit this new vague widespread definition of legend yall trying to sell :lol:

If Twista a legend then Fabolous is a legend.

And I got a gang of other NY rappers to name that I dont think are legends (in all of hip-hop) that would fit this new vague widespread definition of legend yall trying to sell :lol:
Exactly.

Local legend does not equal legend in the game. These cats are local legends.

I'm going off of the definition of legend. "an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field."

That definition leads me to this thought: considering this is all subjective it's perfectly fine if you don't agree
we can separate the "legends" for some from the unanimous legends that we all agree with

Whether you think bone created or Twista, that double time flow was everywhere after Po Pimp hit the streets.
I’m a Midwest dude so yeah Twista is definitely a legend. Adrenaline Rush was a hood classic with no AirPlay.
Adeline Rush still gives me goosebumps. Never heard a flow so hard.

How do you define legend?

Someone who will be talked about 20, 30, 40... years from now.

The same way you can talk about a James Brown, Marvin Gay, Michael Jackson.

Just because you like someones music or they got shot or died doesn't make them a legend.

Some of you are living in the moment and are too emotionally attached to even have this discussion. That's why I said this discussion can't be had about someone who's dead. A Fast and The Furious devotee is going to say Paul Walker was a legend.

That definition leads me to this thought: considering this is all subjective it's perfectly fine if you don't agree
we can separate the "legends" for some from the unanimous legends that we all agree with
Idk. "Extremely famous" is pretty telling. When I think of extremely famous, I think of dudes like Kanye and Drake. Twista doesn't even compare.

Someone who will be talked about 20, 30, 40... years from now.

I mean if we using TODAY as the metric of 20+ years from now, sure Twista and a lot of guys wouldn't fit that metric. So we talkin' 20+ years from their starting point or what date?

hopefully I'm not coming off any other way than neutral with my questions cause I'm def not trying to be an a*hole

Idk. "Extremely famous" is pretty telling. When I think of extremely famous, I think of dudes like Kanye and Drake. Twista doesn't even compare.

I mean I for sure wouldn't compare him to those two but they really are the UPPER of upper echelon of Hip Hop artists so if we using them as a metric that takes A LOT of guys out the running. Even cats like E-40 who I consider a legend but he's not near Drake or Ye at all

I mean I for sure wouldn't compare him to those two but they really are the UPPER of upper echelon of Hip Hop artists so if we using them as a metric that takes A LOT of guys out the running.
For sure. That's my point forreal. All the real legends are in the upper echelon. In my opinion atleast.

I wish y'all who disagree would describe why folks aren't a legend instead of just posting laughin' emojis
Use your words
You can be a legend in your city but that dont make you a legend in all of rap/hip-hop.

Not sure how in depth you want to go but I think that is enough if you got the proper grasp of the meaning of the word within context.

That's what I think many are confusing even for the few ppl who arent from the same city that consider any rapper a legend.

That **** is not widespread. If we go deeper its where are the classic albums, where is the legendary run in rap where this rapper had the game shut down? Where are the dozens and dozens of classic songs and hit songs? Show me the long lasting influence and impact.

A rap legend list should not consist of ten thousand names. Rap aint that old.

For sure. That's my point forreal. All the real legends are in the upper echelon. In my opinion atleast.

I see where you at now
There's levels to the legend label, artist like Drake & Ye are outright Legends and guys like Twista, Fab, E-40, Nip would be more regional or even "just" national legends

Back
Top Bottom