Question for "OG" MJ Consumers. Yes an Addendum due to Responses I've Read

1. How DOES Brand Jordan KEEP you as a Consumer? The only shoes I own from JB since 2000 are the 1st colorway of the XX2, black stealth XX3, and all starrelease XX3. They kept me as a consumer, because of the shoes that were re-releasing. However, once in my position, the shoes just werent the same as Iremembered. My 1999 White/Cement IV's and 2000 Fire Red V's, Infrared VI's, and Black Metallic V's were pretty much exact as I had them as akid in 90-91, and they were just as comfortable. I still wear my shoes from 2000. However, hear recently on the IV's and V, I just was not happy at all. They were not comfortable, and just looked and felt cheap, so I sold every single pair. They only reason I am still around as a consumer is because of thecomfort and performance level of the XX1, XX2 and XX3. If not for playing basketball, I would not have owned anything Produced by JB since 2000. If Nike Airmade a return on the III-VI, I would definitely purchase a shoe.

2. Would you participate in such a Program where you weren't competing against other kids of the Younger Generation for the Shoes YOU Covet so much? Yes, I would definitely support a program like this. Just to have and wear a shoe that closely resembled the original would be great.

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn'tlook to Market to you anymore? Yes, I would still complain. We all know that it is relatively cheap to produce a shoe originally made in the late 80'sand early 90's. Why cut corners, and change the shape, midsole, and quality of leather, and nubuck on a shoe. Why not put Nike Air on a shoe, when theshoe was made with it. I get tired of hearing: " well JB is there own company now, why are they going to put a Nike symbol on their product, when theJumpan is what represents the company". If thats the case, stop using the air in the shoes too. JB's supposed to be the Ferrari of the shoeindustry. Well Ferrari would never "half *#*" a product. Im in favor of them increasing the price a little bit more, just so they can use the samequality of materials as before 2003. They will still sell out. Especially when you see the majority of OG color retros going for more than retail a yearafter release.

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

I would go a step further. Maybe a store registration,and you could only order your size, because the youth would just get their parents to get the shoes for them anyway. Picture that actually happening, but you never know.

This is a great idea. You have to preregister at the store before the shoe comes out. That way, JB knows how many they'll need to supply and the pairI "pre-ordered" can only be sold to me, no matter when I arrive (as long as I arrive within 5 days of the release).

Hov.. I am resigned to the fact that you'd prefer the shoes Hand made for you.. Wrapped in Satin and delivered to your door for EACH release.. lol

Resellers are a way of life now. Simple and plain. As I throw out ideas.. its not the actual steps that could be taken but something along those lines thatwould need to make things work.

The point is to see who would participate...not really see who could shoot the idea down.. lol

With life we are thrown evolved things with a Culture. There wasn't really a shoe culture when we were younger. Stuff happens. A pack of Bubblicious was 25cents when I was younger too.. Now it's a $1.00

I don't complain, I just realize stuff changes as does inflation.

I also realize that when I was younger I didnt realize the Craftsmanship and quality of shoes. I also probably think the same folks makin Jordans then areprobably retired or workin somewhere else now.

I also realize Production is probably HIGHER in numbers now then it was when we were younger. You know.. more volume to meet demand. This isn't to say Iaccept things the way they are Bro... Its to say, like some OG guys, I have realized I only buy what I like.

If Jordans have passed me by, well I will throw it on the pile with Peg Legs, Metal Belts and Break Dancing. BUT if it wants to TRY and see what it can do tokeep me as a Consumer.. why not try it out and see what it has to offer for reinventing itself.

I myself as a Consumer can only have REASONABLE expectations, knowing that it is a business after all. Its hard finding a middle ground, but if someone issearching for it, at least give credit where it's due right?

I know I am glad the guy who invented Condoms that was told it would never work, didn't give up.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Have a release called "Are you OG?". Release Air Jordans in the exact form that they were madeoriginally. Up the price to $200 each and limit them to flight club only. This would eliminate some people from buying them and allow others to get what theywant. This is a agreat idea I think. It would also eliminate allocation decisions, transportation costs, and margin lost to stores. It would be a veryefficient supply chain to the ideal buyers.

In no way am I shooting your idea down, nor am I saying I want the shoes hand made for me and delivered to my door in satin.

All I want is to be able to walk in a store and buy the sneakers. I'm not sure why that is such a hard standard for the company to meet.

Originally Posted by kangsoh1

Great topic Rock.

1. How DOES Brand Jordan KEEP you as a Consumer?

~ Original colorways of shoes made with higher quality. I am of the age (28) where I am willing to pay a little bit more in order to get a better quality shoe. I would much rather pay $160-$195 for a superior quality (and identical looking) .
Digital speaks the truth... I stopped with Jordans after the XIV's bascially because (a) MJ was done and (b) the WOW factor of design was sorelymissing. It was as if Jordan Brand was content with the sucess they had achieved the previous 15 years. I am not a fan of the Lifestyle colors for JordanBrand. It should be as simple as it was during his playing days:

Bulls Home and Away
ASG's
Playoffs
UNC

and the AMOUNT of shoes generated in a calendar year is overkill... something that LeBron's team needs to consider..
wink.gif

Reduce the amount of retro's and if it is III-VI... return the "Nike Air"
pimp.gif
That is as much a part of the OG heritage as the Jumpman Logo. Someone bornafter 1988 cannot understand this piece.. Watching DVD's of Jordan highlights or seeing pics of weathered OG's here does not cut it......

By coming up with colorways that my old time collectors cry about.

But I still have a strong love for by releasing classic shoes with a new twist.

2. Would you participate in such a Program where you weren't competing against other kids of the Younger Generation for the Shoes YOU Covet so much?

No questions I would BUt I would think this would happen this year since its the so called last year of retro releases.

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn't lookto Market to you anymore?

I think the younger generation would still by the shoes.

So us old farts really have nothing to complain about. It would be a nice plus to have kicks for the older heads with nike air on the back

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Originally Posted by kangsoh1

Great topic Rock.

~ Original colorways of shoes made with higher quality. I am of the age (28) where I am willing to pay a little bit more in order to get a better quality shoe. I would much rather pay $160-$195 for a superior quality (and identical looking) .
co-sign

Note: I've been a sneakerhead since 89, been browsing this board for over 4 years, member for 2 years.. I never really actively posted, but after seeingthis post and the other survey post, I figured it was time to get active and hopefully make an impact. Here goes...

Would YOU PARTICIPATE ....If Brand Jordan Jordan Brand, JB or whatever you call em, down the road were to start an OG Release Program where there was a LIMITEDRELEASE... IN STORE for Those 25 and Up...maybe twice a year which Retroed a Shoe THE EXACT way it was the way it Originally Released?

I would love for this to happen. I still get up at buttcrack dawn in the AM to make sure I get the pairs of shoes I want in my size. Especially since I usuallycop multiple pairs. It's nice to hype up a release day the way it used to be, and the way it should be.

Would this appease to those who think the Brand has driven away from them?
Would YOU BUY EACH RELEASE?

I don't think it's the fact that people don't do it the OG way, but more or less the fact that the kicks aren't being released the way weremember them. And when Retros are being released, they aren't up to par with the originals, material wise. It has gotten better with the release of the8's (Aqua and Playoffs), and the countdown packs. I said it once and I'll say it again. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I drink coke becauseit's what I grew up with, and its a taste I know I will like. If they changed up coke's recipe a bunch of times to boost sales or try something new,along with myself, a lot of the world would be pretty pissed. In the same sense, keep making the shoes the way they were, the way they intended to be, the wayMJ wore em. If J's came out the same way as the OG counterparts, I would buy each release without hesitation. Meaning I'd cop the Jordan models I like.

Instead of an Online Release which would cost more to have Warehouse folks working to send out releases to EACH Consumer... take it back to YOUR Youth whereYOU took a trip to the Store and ONLY Fought with Folks of YOUR AGE to get a Release?

I agree and disagree. I don't think it's fair to penalize the youth of today because they aren't of the same age. I'd love to share with themthe joy of being able to get an OG release and let them know what MJ did in them. (I guess kinda like the Spike Lee commercial for the XX's). When thePlayoff 8's came out, I schooled my friend's little bro who also copped a pair on the history of the shoes. It was kinda refreshing to see he actuallyremembered. "Oh that's the pair MJ beat Barkley in." Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to be part of an "exclusive" type clubwhere a lot of the competition is whacked away, and would open me up to more available pairs. But at the same rate, who's to say someone isn't going toget a bunch of pairs, put 'em on ebay, and make a killing from the younger kids... Yep, that sucks.

But if you had to SHOW ID that proved you were a certain age in order to purchase an OG Release would you participate?

Of course, since I am in that demographic, I would have to say yes, but my comments above apply...

However, our Loyalty is STILL there, so we still have a Connection which brings us forward to purchasing Jordans for our Kids if possible. So my question tothose of us who grew up with the GOAT...

All JB has to do is keep putting out quality products that MJ himself wore, and keep on being the innovative company it has been. I remember seeing patentleather on the XI's and going $#@??! But still went out and copped all colorways because they were "different" but very do-able. Not different asin who the heck would put themselves through the embarrassment of wearing something so butt-ugly. I'm actually a huge fan of the newer J's,particularly the XX-XX3's. They are ahead of their time, like the way J's have always been. Keep up the innovation and technology advances. If itscomfortable and stylish, then I'm happy.

2. Would you participate in such a Program where you weren't competing against other kids of the Younger Generation for the Shoes YOU Covet so much?
Of course I would since I would be a part of that "exclusive" club. Though I don't think it's right to penalize the younger generation, itdoesn't effect me in a negative way, so more power to it!

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn't lookto Market to you anymore?
I honestly think this kind of release will sell out for JB, but not for the right reasons. Resellers will be having a field day with the kicks. I can see themdrooling now reading this thinking "Oh boy, dumb youngin's on ebay guna buy from me for WAY over retail because they can't get em." Idon't think it's quite fair to gauge something in that sense. But whenever a retro comes out in OG colorways(sans the 15's, those can't besaved by superman...) it usually sells out fast. I can't remember the last OG color retro that sat on the shelf for longer than a week or two at most.

I understand a company can't cater their whole line to a certain demographic, but it would be nice to know that the OG people who brought the company towhere it is, are still remembered and appreciated. They could even do an online only thing on Flightclub (Are they ever going to use this for a noteworthyrelease?) but with relevant releases, and not some ugly $#@ fusion AF1 POS shoes in clown colors. This would make it so the OG people still have thatmarketplace available to them. If JB tried, and all failed, then I guess there really isn't a reason to complain. I've learned in life you can'tplease everyone, and with a business, the consumer that isn't bringing in the $$ will get the short end of the stick. Simply put.

Great great ??'s Rock. I hope you get the info you need to make some kind of positive advancement.

Nail + Head =

It's actually pretty simple. Next year, start with the Air Jordan I. Release 3 OG colorways with the same craftsmanship as the old days and do not limit them in any manner. For the 22 years after that, do the same thing with each consecutive Signature shoe until you get to XX3. Keep that cycle going forever.

I would participate in a program where I did not have to wait on lines or make freind with snotty store employees or pay resellers $100 over retail to get the shoes.

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn't look to Market to you anymore?

No. You would never hear another word out of my mouth.

Again, I find it hard to beleive that if every OG color was released AS A GENERAL RELEASE with the same level of craftsmanship and quality of materials as they were way back when, Jordan Brand would have a hadr time selling the shoes.

I honestly don't think that I could have put it better myself. I understand that I am only 22, but I've been wearing/dreaming of wearingJordans since my uncle got me my first pair in 1985. I have been just as frustrated with the quality of the Jordan releases as this "game" that theyplay, limitedness. I live in a very rural area and we are lucky to have a Finishline at our mall and I know that when they (JB and Nike) release a shoe thatisn't a complete GR, then there is no way for me to go to the store and buy a pair. I honestly didn't buy (you know what I mean) a pair of Jordans ina shoe store until probably the XII's, everytime that I was able to get a pair of Jordans it was because my mom had found some sort of JCPenny's couponthat we could use.

Therefore I think that having a release schedule similar to all Original release schedules with the exact construction of the originals would be a novel idea. I would like to see any shoe company focus on a quality shoe instead of a bunch of crappy colorways

Originally Posted by DIGITALJORDAN

There are always these kids who claim to have been wearing J's since the v's dropped and there only 20! Unless you were old enough to experiance what it was really like to own a pair of Air Jordans pre XV then you will never know. And imo if you are not 25+ that includes you no matter how many pairs of baby Js' your mom bought you.

I can agree with you to an extent. I've worn nothing but Jordan's my whole life. So for you to say I haven't experienced what it's liketo where a pair of OG's then your wrong. Regardless if kids mom's bought them for them or not. I've saved every pair of Jordan's I'veever owned, and remember wearing every pair. I even lined up as kid to get them. My parents got me into Jordan's and that's that. All I look forwardtoo is Retro's of colors I owned as a kid, because it brings back memories. I stopped purchasing sig's after the 13's, because they didn'tpossess the look that 1-13 had to offer. I like the 25 and up idea, I'm only a couple months off from being 25. I also agree that everyone is a criticand thinks it's the cool thing to say, that they've been rocking Jordan's since the V's.

Originally Posted by Mannchyld

I am 24 years old. I got my first two pair of Jordans when the Sky 1's released. From that point on I was hooked. Technically before I even knew I was hooked. I think it would be great if Jordan Brand started a program like this. But to all good things, there is a down side. People under 25 will obtain the shoes no matter what. Resellers will get them and then the rest is history. I'm one of the few OG collectors who's not mad at Jordan Brand. I simply sift out what I like and what I don't. I accept the fact that there is no Nike Air on Jordans anymore. I mean it's not 1987 anymore. Those shoes made there mark. I didn't buy the sneakers in the first place just because they had Nike Air on the back. Would I love to see Nike Air again? Sure! If it doesn't happen it's not a big deal. Jordan keeps me as a consumer because every year they drop at least 2-3 sneakers I like. Not to say I don't buy more, but there are a few retros that remind of the OG's. I really think Jordan does marketing good. If they didn't there shoes would sit on sales racks. Shoes like the Aqua VIII, Metallic V, and the Fire Red III were marketed towards OG heads. Shoes colors like Anthracite, Pea Pod, Cool Grey, & Green Bean is JB's way of marketing the new generation. To put this way JB has never let me down as a company, but they have let me down on certain shoes. But in the end, I (the consumer) don't have to purchase those shoes, and face it, JB doesn't owe it to me to release Bordeaux VII's just because I've purchased well over a 100 sneakers from there company.

Wow!!! You pretty much summed up my exact feelings on this topic. No need for me to repost the same post in my own words. ConsiderMannchyld's post my response as well.

Originally Posted by DIGITALJORDAN

There are always these kids who claim to have been wearing J's since the v's dropped and there only 20! Unless you were old enough to experiance what it was really like to own a pair of Air Jordans pre XV then you will never know. And imo if you are not 25+ that includes you no matter how many pairs of baby Js' your mom bought you.
What does it matter if your parents bought the shoes for you? MJ transcended the game of basketball. Even a 3 or 4 year old growing up in thelate 80's knew who MJ was.

Decades of effective marketing, the mystique of the shoes, and watching the man himself will always keep us as Brand Jordan consumers whether we OGs choose toadmit it or not.

I personally would love to be able to get eight hours of sleep before purchasing an higher quality shoe identical to OG release without being forced to pay the100% markup celebrety shoe store owners like to charge these days.

We all know that the new generation is what keeps Brand Jordan moving...but the brand needs to extend the opportunity to the OGs first. Poor saleswouldn't even be an issue with new generation consumers there to buy the pairs that OGs pass up on.

Of course those who are below 25 would complain about leaving them out, but this is to Address ALL my Generation and ask what would it take to keep yourloyalty? ALL answers of course are welcome, as this should really cause some serious banter.

Releases that are not impossible to purchase...No more gimmicks (packages, 10 shoes per state).
High quality sneakers done to orignal form with no pleather, or synthetic materials to cut corners (ie FR III, Pack XIII)
Make stores stay true to the suggested retail.

Originally Posted by HOVKid

In no way am I shooting your idea down, nor am I saying I want the shoes hand made for me and delivered to my door in satin.

All I want is to be able to walk in a store and buy the sneakers. I'm not sure why that is such a hard standard for the company to meet.
HOV only part of my comments were for you.... the others were for the other guys who preferred to just shoot an idea down rather than answer thequestion or offer comments on any suggestions as MANY others have.

I just always discount some of your comments because they don't really seem as though you speak with reason, but moreso with just you in mind. When I readother responses I read folks opinions who actually take their generation into account, but your responses seem to cater only to you.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I wouldn't venture to think I was the only one who feels that way.

I am probably the most laid back yet loyal consumer there is, but I think on both sides of the table when having a gripe about stuff. Hard to do I would admitas a PURE Consumer....but it's what I;ve always done none the less.

I do think the registration idea was a good one, and its ideas thrown out like that which I appreciate. Even if it doesn't come to
fruition, its someone willing to throw an idea out which could be considered as reasonable.

Thats all... quality is expected in EVERY product I buy...but if you look at Leather TODAY and Leather Yesterday.. its not even Fabricated the same wayanymore. Textiles 101. There are different grades of Leather... but does ANYONE use the same types of Leathers as they use to?

I also would invite some people to take their shoes to a Leather shop and ask about the Leather or Leathers used on their kicks.... some would tell you its agood leather.. Just not the THICK Assault Type of Leather we saw in the 90's... OR that Big NIKE Leather we saw in the 80's for my older cats...

You'd be hard pressed to find that sort of Leather around or WANT it on some of your stuff.

As a shoe wearer, lover and enthusiast, I am obviously a business guy too, who realizes its a business, but for me its interesting to see both sides of the table, and then figure out can everyone actually be happy or do you really just move on from the OG Wearers (Not even Collectors) but folks who came up with Jordan.
I'll get to the rest later, but this statement stuck out to me.
I completely understand its a business. If you want to capitalize on retros, by all means you should throw out as much and as many colors as you'd like.The R&D is basically done, and I'm sure the profit margin on a retro versus new release is almost double.

With that being said, my gripes about everything can be summed up by this:
1) Gentry blatantly hides behind his "doing it for the _________". BS. By not producing colorways, shapes, or even nike air on the back, he'sdoing it by looking out for the consumer? How much market share does he think old collectors make up? You're telling me if they retrod Carmine 6s to theEXACT replica, somehow, a group of what, 100 people are never going to rock Js again? Never make another purchase? Wrong. If anything, IMO, they'd stillsell. There IS a new generation out there, whether some of us (on both sides) want to agree with it or not. Protecting collectors? A collection should bringjoy to someone, they shouldn't have ulterior motives like value of their collection (obviously, many do). Collectors are the LEAST of who Gentry shouldworry about. Why? Because I'm willing to bet they don't even make up 5% of sales RIGHT NOW. I'd respect the business decisions if he was moreforthcoming and honest. Tell me you don't want to make _______ because you just don't want to. Or that you're saving it in the vault for a downtime and you KNOW it'll sell. Tell me you don't want to put on Nike Air, just because you don't want to, that you tried to go a different routebecause of MJ's logo being hotter to more than Nike Air would've been. That's fine, and that's all I want.
2) What could the rationale from a business point of view be for not giving OG colors/styles as much love? I mean do they honestly feel a certain model justwouldn't sell? If so, that's what it is, but given what DOES sell its hard to believe the flip side would be true.

I feel they've shafted the mid-level consumer. Those who still remember MJ playing, but have grown up and so have their tastes. By that I mean, some of uswill never rock royal/orange/yellow Js. Some of us can picture Js in only colors, black/red, black/white/red, white/red, and an all star colorway. We'vebeen through more and don't look at them as fashion trends, but more like staples. We'll rock the J even if our outfit doesn't match strictlybecause we don't care. They're walking a thinner line with the younger crowd and gambling too much that they'll be the loyal consumer.Unfortunately, I view it as, as soon as something hotter comes around, they'll jump ship. While we'd still like to buy, but the products justaren't worth it. We're the ones with kids coming around soon, where we'd love to have our son/daughter share our passion, because that's whatit is. A passion. Not a trend.

That's just how I've felt the last few years. I haven't bought a retro in I don't know how long. I've bought the occasional flag-ship shoe,but in typical bulls colors. That's just who I am. I'm 25, work full time, and have other things I need to purchase. I've accepted my collectionwill never be as large as the next guys, but I don't care because all the shoes in it I love for my own reasons. I'm never ever going to be able to copevery pair, and that's fine with me. Just give me a product worth purchasing and give me a feasible outlet to do so.

DIGITALJORDAN wrote:

Also make these available in kids sizes. That way us parents can keep the legacy alive with our kids.

Age limit is a must!

I love it that someone doesn't want kids getting these, but wants them in kids sizes.

I am 27, but I think the age min. idea is going a little far.

I would love to get original colors, but I also enjoy some of the new colors. I probably wear my all white 4s more than any other shoe I own.

In today's environment friendly world, I don't like the idea of overproducing beyond demand. Why not go with a release where you have to pre-orderyour shoes? You will eliminate alot of waste and maximize your profit. You will have to guarantee a high quality shoe and make a few extra for the B gradesthat slip through. This guarantees my pair, no matter where I live, without having to camp out or pay a mark up.

Originally Posted by TXCaddyKing

DIGITALJORDAN wrote:

Also make these available in kids sizes. That way us parents can keep the legacy alive with our kids.

Age limit is a must!
I love it that someone doesn't want kids getting these, but wants them in kids sizes.

I am 27, but I think the age min. idea is going a little far.

I would love to get original colors, but I also enjoy some of the new colors. I probably wear my all white 4s more than any other shoe I own.

In today's environment friendly world, I don't like the idea of overproducing beyond demand. Why not go with a release where you have to pre-order your shoes? You will eliminate alot of waste and maximize your profit. You will have to guarantee a high quality shoe and make a few extra for the B grades that slip through. This guarantees my pair, no matter where I live, without having to camp out or pay a mark up.

If you mean Pre-order as in Online for EVERY release ok....but that isnt as feasible as you typing it sounds. That would basically be you ordering ashoe before it goes to production, then sent directly TO you like an ID product.

If you mean Pre-Order and send to your local store for pick up.....that would also entail a risk for Jordan and the retailer UNLESS it was done y Credit Cardand ensure payment, but of course you leave quite a segment of people who don't have credit Cards..

Therefore you mess up the Supply Chain to appeal to the OGs... I don't even think I'd throw that idea in the mix unless it was actually doable costwise. BUT I do appreciate the ideas...it made me ponder somethin serious.

I do understand the concept of Jordan Adult shoes and Kids shoes. This way those who have kids can share that legacy with their own...unless their own arealmost grown and in High School and at that point they should be buying their own $100+ kicks!!!
wink.gif

Def. appreciated that comment sir. I like the ones that make me think.

By actually taking me as a consumer into account. I'm an OG that just won't look right in a baby blue shoe anymore. When did catering to the 'urban' crowd mean producing tasteless products that you sleep overnight in the cold for? For Brand Jordan to keep me asfootwear consumer there is a need to consider my needs. What do I need? Availability. An attractive, innovative product. Authenticity.

Yes. I would buy every shoe that was something when it was originally released. An XV will get a
sick.gif
from me. How aboutcreating an 'OG Club' that members get approved into? Card-carrying members only have purchase rights. Once a substantial DB is developed an eager topurchase group of consumers is ready and willing to part with some dinero. Of course this would put quite a bit more pressure on whomever is making theproduction choices. You won't be able to make a plum, dirt, grass stain colorway and say it's limited and we all fawn over it. But consider it aprofessional challenge to chose what shoes are offered up. Something to be proud of as Nike employee.

What would be considered poor sales? If 500, 1000 pairs of limited release poopoo is considered enough of a success to do itover and over again, then it shouldn't be that hard to match by actual brand-loyal consumers. Think about this: OG's are into the shoes for theonce-famed performance and styling of the shoe and the emotion associated with seeing MJ play in them. The young cats on here are in because mom and dad putthem in some OG XII. What happens when we starting putting adidas and UA on our kids' feet? What will they grow up wearing and buying? It won't beJordans. Keep the OGs happy. We are the Jordan baby boomers.

Interesting stuff, Rock.

Happy to chime in as an "OG".

-Would YOU PARTICIPATE ....If Brand Jordan Jordan Brand, JB or whatever you call em, down the road were to start an OG Release Program where there was aLIMITED RELEASE... IN STORE for Those 25 and Up...maybe twice a year which Retroed a Shoe THE EXACT way it was the way it Originally Released?

The idea is great except for the limited aspect. "Limited" is the enemy of the older Jordan fan. I definitely want the shoes EXACTLY as they werebut having them be even the least bit difficult to get undercuts the whole idea for me. Shoes shouldn't be difficult to get.

Would this appease to those who think the Brand has driven away from them?
Would YOU BUY EACH RELEASE?

As long as JB drops 1-VIII and XI exactly as the originals, I'm definitely listening. Make them easily accessible for the "OG's"? I'mbuying.

Instead of an Online Release which would cost more to have Warehouse folks working to send out releases to EACH Consumer... take it back to YOUR Youthwhere YOU took a trip to the Store and ONLY Fought with Folks of YOUR AGE to get a Release?

Hmm... well you know Rock that we could walk into a store knowing the shoe of our choice would be in stock. That was common. Sure some sizes may have soldout but it was not uncommon for them to be restocked. I want THAT again. Angst over shoes is no good, especially now that I'm in my late 20s and havereal responsibilities that occupy my real time. I'm sure many of our generation can echo the same sentiments.

Retro Air Jordans EXACTLY as the originals, make them easy to obtain. It was simple back then, it can be just as simple now.

2. Would you participate in such a Program where you weren't competing against other kids of the Younger Generation for the Shoes YOU Covet somuch?

Depends on the "program". If I can't go online or go to a store, within a reasonable amount of time (like 2 weeks to 1 month) to get the shoes,I don't want the hassle.

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn'tlook to Market to you anymore?

Well, first, I think sales of 100% accurate retros would be insane. The "Jumpman" versions get snatched up as it is. I don't look at it as amarketing issue as far as the OG crowd is concerned. Just making the shoes like the originals we had is the issue.

Here's my idea (and there's many more, JB. Hire me. I can revolutionize your brand beyond the current status.)

JB plans a retro schedule. Could be 1, II, III, IV... or random.

JB puts up an order page on either Nike.com or J23.com for registered members to submit their orders for how many pairs and which size they want.

There is an order cut-off date. The numbers are tallied and production begins.

We get our shoes in 4-6 months. We understand that there will be a wait for each of these retroes but to get them exactly, with Nike Air and good quality, itis well worth it.

OR just make the shoes exactly as the originals and General Release them like there's no tomorrow.

"That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish." - Doc Graham, "Field of Dreams"

that would be a great idea and would make me feel like jordan was looking out for the people who helped him start this empire he now has.i would love to beable to go get some of the og shoes i loved in the past and not worry about a bunch of kids that has know idea what these shoes were about buying them up in10mins. now this is nothing against the kids of today and i am not saying what they are doing is wrong becuase if it was me at there ages i would be doing thesame thing. this is about jordan looking out for people who helped him start this whole thing. this is about all the people who had to have the first pair of jordans becuase they was banned from the n.b.a. this is about the people who watched jordan in 1986 score 63 pts. inthe air jordan 1s against boston in the playoffs as you cheered from your livingroom wearing the same shoes. this is about having a pair of new air jordans 3s on your feet while you are watching jordan wearingthe same shoes dunking from the foul line to win the dunk contest in 1988. this is about the people who watched jordan in the infared 6s pull offone of his greatest moves ever against the lakers in the championship and beleived you could do the same becuase you wore the same shoes or for the people whowatched jordan hit 6 3 pointers and score 35 pts. in the first half against portland wearing the jordan 7s in his 2nd. championship and then ran to thebasketball court and started shooting 3s and making them. why, becuase you wore the same shoes.this is for all of the people who had to have the same shoesjordan was wearing becuase you thought it made you better and you know what it did. these kids today will never know these feelings and could never understand how we feel becuase we were there and they were not.iknow jordan is trying to give something back with these retro packs that are coming out each month but its not the same as the origanal jordans that we lovedin the past and it would be great if jordan would remember when and how it all started and gave something back to the people that mean the most. THE REAL OGS

^^

Hey Zon.. can you put some lines between those words? lol Im such an OG when I see too many words thrown to gether I can't even begin to read or make itout. Call it old age Bro!! lol

Thanks.

love it that someone doesn't want kids getting these, but wants them in kids sizes
I don't think you understood what I was saying. Maybe make them in size 1c-3.5y just so the parents with young kids can keep the Jordan legacyalive. Those are not the kids lining up and reselling now. These are preschool kids who just want to be like dad.

I dont know IF Jb keeps me as a consumer. The only jordans that I have bought in the last decade were retros( 4 pairs of IV retro) except for thewhite/black/red XXIII. So in the sense that I have bought JB product I have been kept, but as far as getting me to keep buying all the crap they have beenreleasing I definitely have not been kept as a consumer. As an og jordan consumer, I know the difference in the quality from back in the day compared to nowand its not even close. When Gentry says he keeps the og collectors in mind hes full of s**t. If a collector bought a shoe for $125.00 back in 1988 and sellsit now for $600.00 JB sees none of that profit. All they ever see is what they get from the stores who pay retail. Why would a company as big as JB care for asmall number of consumers? It makes no sense. Thats the biggest lie/excuse EVER. Im also sick of hearing they lost the moulds so they cant recreate an ogexactly. Thats also bulls**t. Theres this thing called reverse engineering and that entails taking an og or an accurate retro like a 99 IV and taking it apartand getting the patterns for the leather and the midsole mould. Not hard. I've done it. I know, I know, you cant destroy a shoe, but you can if your jb andyou have how many gazillion pairs of these in the vault. I would participate in an age specific release for a retro made exactly like it was back in the day.As long as I have the disposable income, Im there. However, people would get fake id's, have other people buy the shoes for them, etc. So its not reallyfeasible in that way right now. It just wouldnt work. And if a release like this ended up having poor sales, how could I blame JB for not catering to me whenin fact they did and took that chance. I believe if they released the retros exactly like they were but just limited the quantity, there would be no problem.The limitedness would offset any poor sales cause there wouldnt be as many shoes available to really take a loss and I sure as hell wouldnt mind paying ahigher price for a shoe that was exactly as I remember. The only thing JB has done right in the last 10 years for me has been the 99 retro IV and the XXIII. Ialso think Tinker should be the designer for JB for life. In my eyes he can do no wrong.

Im about to be 27 and can still remember when I made the transition from Fayva shoes to AJ5s. I can still remember arguing in junior high school that I had apair of white/black/red 5s with a 23 on the side...while my friend told me there was no such pair (jeez information was not so easy to come by then, I feelold). A program like this would TOTALLY cater to me although I'm not so sure if age minimum would be effective. What worries me about a program likethis...is there will always be some way it will get bastardized and turned away from the true intent. My biggest fear is that something like this would occurand still somehow still being shut out either by a reseller or a store overcharging knowing that people will pay, thus making me more bitter.

Back
Top Bottom