Question for all you FORMER sneakerheads

Now this is strictly a question for the FORMER sneakersheads. I would like to know how and why you stopped collecting kicks? Did you one day wake up andrealize "Damn, this is pretty ridulous" and quit cold turkey, or did your addiction slowly taper off? Also, are you completely reformed, or do stillbrowse through sneaker stores or ebay, and say to yourself, "Man, back then I would've copped two pairs of these joints for sure." Let me know. 1

FTL = for the loss

I just went cold turkey and never looked back. just found out they retro'd the Pippens and Penny's
pimp.gif

i never really had money like that so even when i was real into em i only had about 15 pairs over about three years....now i probably like shoes more than everbut im older and have real !!@# i have to pay for

edit:

and these new releases are ridiculous, flight/foam posites goin for 200 retail when you include the tax
smh.gif
dope as *%@% but thats a whole paycheck when youmakin a couple dollars more than minimum wage

first off, never considered it a "game" so that crap isn't in my vocab.

@+** releases, @+** tier quality, overdoing these "limited", QS releases and whatnot when they were all over the place, and looked like @+** at that.

Repetition, repetition, repetition. Just like music nowadays, it's washed up and done with...

Bills

Wasting $400 a month is not cool

Specially when all of a sudden your income diminishes. The your stuck saying "Damn lol I wasted so much money on shoes... I could use that money rightnow"

After HS it really don't matter no more.

But once you retire or whatever... You still have the heat to wear for some years.

It is kind of weird for me... When I stopped when I bought my first pair of black/white chuck lows... and the motivation to buy a new car
tongue.gif

Once I went to college I realized:
1) i had more important things to spend my money on than shoes
2) nobody cares about your shoes like high school

so i guess i quit "cold turkey." I haven't bought a pair of shoes since senior year of high school

I'm definitly liking the responses, but I'm also curious to know how old you were starting copping and when you "quit?"

When i realized that i could wear a different pair of shoes everyday for nearly half the year, and some people are struggling to eat, i realized somethingwasn't right. It was also the whole "culture" for lack of a better word. Everyone these days is a "shoe collector." And not that iwanted to stop because everyone else was doing it...it just doesnt feel the same these days.

I still love kicks and see them as art...but i just dont have the urge to own every pair anymore. I've got higher priorities.

^^ma dukes wasn't about coppin me 100 dollar shoes as a kid...I wanted the XII's so bad when they came out back in the day
smh.gif
copped my first pair ofjordans in the 8th grade

trash started coming out when i got to the upper years of high school so there wasn't much to buy anyway...i stopped even keeping up with releases a coupleof years ago

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

first off, never considered it a "game" so that crap isn't in my vocab.
QFT, never considered myself a "sneakerhead" either.

I slowed down a lot, simply because I like seeing money in my bank account. There are other reasons as well. I don't like paying retail, so mostexclusive, tier zero's are usually an easy pass for me. I love GR's, but most are crap now, which makes it easy to pass on those. I still buy hereand there, but not like I used to. Having to buy packs makes it easy, I am not letting Jordan take my money. The Jordan Forum is full of suckers,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 11wordisbond

Now this is strictly a question for the FORMER sneakersheads. I would like to know how and why you stopped collecting kicks? Did you one day wake up and realize "Damn, this is pretty ridulous" and quit cold turkey, or did your addiction slowly taper off? Also, are you completely reformed, or do still browse through sneaker stores or ebay, and say to yourself, "Man, back then I would've copped two pairs of these joints for sure." Let me know. 1
It happened about the 2nd year of college. Between work and school, I didn't have the time to call up shops everyday like I did in HS tocheck for the newest SB's. I also picked up a new hobby..modding car so I sold a lot of shoes to buy parts. After that I was wearing GR's andwhatever I had left that weren't worth anything. About a year ago, my feet decided to grow from a 9 to a 10. I came back in the 'game' a bit andbought some J's I wanted. Never ended up wearing them and sold them. Fast forward to today, all I wear are Chucks and Vans and a pair of Dunks for therainy days.

ooIRON MANoo wrote: Having to buy packs makes it easy, I am not letting Jordan take my money. The Jordan Forum is full of suckers,
laugh.gif

Def agree with you on that point. I don't mess with J's at all and it kills me how much other dudes are spending on the count down packs. You could buy groceries for many months with that change.

Originally Posted by purplehazze96

i never really had money like that so even when i was real into em i only had about 15 pairs over about three years....now i probably like shoes more than ever but im older and have real !!@# i have to pay for

edit:

and these new releases are ridiculous, flight/foam posites goin for 200 retail when you include the tax
smh.gif
dope as *%@% but thats a whole paycheck when you makin a couple dollars more than minimum wage
Dont really interest me anymore, not to sound bitter but it turned to a real
nerd.gif
type hobby, like some aint that far from videogame heads....they just got bettershoes though. You(not anybody in particular) a lame regardless.

Seriously never understood how dudes working retail copping 5+ shoes a month. !*#! is mind boggling.

For the same reason I don't buy as many albums as I used to, the market is over flooded with garbage with a few gems here and there.

- No money
- No one cares how you dress or look
- Your swagger/social status/game/looks does not increase because you have on expensive jays or sb's.
- Vans and cheap sneakers are good enough for me, seriously.
- I don't need to prove anything
- I still like AJ1's and will cop when time flies and I have a good job and money to waste
wink.gif

well, i still like shoes, but im so over all this new stuff. it makes me just want to get old stuff, which is waaaaaay expensive and comes around only once ina blue moon.

to top that, like a lot of people stated, im in college. full time, not really working at the moment. hard to buy those expensive OG kicks when you dont havethe money. so it's kind of like whatever now, if the opportunity comes up to pick up some OG kicks and i have the money, maybe i'll make an exception..other than that, i'll save my money for somethin more important. now i just rock old stuff that i got or just gr all white shoes.

i chose to buy a new car instead, and i started use what would have been spent on shoes on jewelry. I still buy shoes, but no where near as often. My moneyjust goes somewhwere else now

i love sneakers and still do, but what really got me to stop was the ridiculous hype and the trouble to just get a pair of shoes on saturday morning. NowI'm staring at 200 pairs of shoes don't know what to do with them. I want to sell them off, but dont got time to do it one by one.

My passion for sneakers died slowly..

but I'll still cop "that pair" if I want. so i guess its not totally dead

I grew up.

I dropped the whole image of "sneakerhead" and the whole thought process of it. The whole breaking necks thing is overrated and dumb.

I just buy shoes if I need them. I don't look at it as a collection or collecting.

Back
Top Bottom