Question about bastardization of old retros (IV XI)

Originally Posted by sickickz23

Originally Posted by JordansRMyCrack

Originally Posted by sickickz23

The downfall or demise of JB is 50% of JB producing the lackluster shoes, and 50% of the buyers who buy the products.

Let's look at it from another example. Toyota, and Honda, year after year, have proven to be the top automakers for this country due to overall sales. It's no secret. Toyota and Honda has proven to be quality cars. They would not dare to compromise the quality and say, "hey these buyers will buy anything with a Toyota or Honda badge on it, so let's cut corners on some the cars. The consumer will never notice."
laugh.gif

The consumers that buy cards are obviously much smarter than the consumer for JB. But looking at that example, the automakers Ford, Chrysler, and GM. They keep offering money saving deals for the consumers to purchase their cars. Why are they doing that? Simple. Buyers are steadily declining, and they need to attract them with enticing offers. You'd never see that with a car maker that is #1 in America.

"no matter what people say, these will sell out come release day" is a cop-out to me. Meaning, "what can I do about it. Nothing at all." One person voicing their disapproval is better than none. And then 2 turns into 3, 4 and so on. I want to see down the road, one day, that a butchered re-retro black cement III's or butchered bordeaux retro VIIs, not sell out, and send a message to JB, that enough is enough. Bad sadly, a lot of people are miseducated of the whole JB issue. Due to age, or whatever else the reason is.

"Oh well, there's nothing we can do about it. It is what it is. I'll just settle for the these."

Excellent points. The Toyota/Honda analogy was dead on! They know American consumers love buying their cars b/c of their own reputation. Yes, if they "cut corners", the American people would surely know about it. Why? Because they would be educated enough, in one way or another, to know the difference. The typical consumer for JB products, for the most part, do not know the difference. They just buy it b/c it has a Jumpman on it.

I'll give an example: My g/f's sister's husband bought his son some Jays to show off. He was like "yeah look at my boy. He's got the Jordans on." I was like, "no, those are not Jordans......those are Big Funds." I schooled him on the numbered Jays thing (hopefully he knows now), but he thought if it had a Jumpman, they are Jordans regardless of design, quality, shape, and/or color. My point is even the retro numbered Jordans fall into this category. Just b/c a shoe has a Jumpman on it, doesn't make it close to the OG Jordan shape/mold/quality numbered Jordan.

Let me give another analogy that we all can relate to. Take for instance toilet paper: At my work, toilet paper is supplied (thank goodness) but it's the cheap, rough, aloe-free, one-ply kind. If that was all I knew, then I would be great. However, I know of Charmin and love how soft and sturdy it feels when I wipe. Being that I know of Charmin, I don't use the work toilet paper but use my own roll that I brought from home. This is equivalent to saying Jordan WAS like Charmin but now is like work toilet paper, which--by the way--appropriately belongs in the toilet along with most of these recent retro JB releases. Ultimately, the work toilet paper and current releases of JB shoes still are, indeed, toilet paper and JB shoes, but they are not at all like they used to be.

This is where the education part comes in. If the typical, average consumer that buys a numbered Jordan from time to time cannot tell the difference of a retro vs OG model (simply because they do not know any better), then of course JB is going to continue to make crappier shoes to save unnecessary costs and reap in more greedy profits. Most companies do. Anyone remember health care 10 years ago? Same thing. Now we get worse care but at higher costs.

The fact of the matter remains that we are getting crappier Jordans that are altered with each release. And JB is doing it "because they can." It's no excuse--it's just pure fact. It won't change until people talk/write/post/voice out displeasure against JB's retro releases. And if so-called petitions don't work, then people have to "talk" with their dollars. But simple economics will dictate JB's future. Supply vs Demand. If JB continues to make crap products but they still get bought, JB will keep on continuing to make them. It is people like Sickkickz and others that should voice out their dissatisfaction in an attempt to not only educate the ignorant masses, but to also have their disapproval of JB's tactics be heard.

Sadly, I believe JB is no longer a company of PRIDE but of GREED instead.

Thanks and great points as well.

sadly we are in the vast minority and maybe one day, that will all change.

"One persons perception of truth, is another persons perception of hate." Especially on NT
laugh.gif

Vast minority for now but what happens when all the kids jump ship and we are the only viable sector for JB to fall back on? Fact is, the era of theJordan trend is coming to an end and I believe once this happens we will have an opportunity to have our voices heard.
Also, one point about your Honda/Toyota analogy. Talk to anyone who owned a Ford or GM truck from the 70's or the 80's. They will tell you that thosethings would last FOREVER. Both of those companies decided to sacrifice quality and that eventually led to their downfall. Companies like Toyota and Hondastay on top because their main focus is on quality and innovation, not on cutting costs.

Originally Posted by ijapino

The retro IV + wasn't exactly hated that much. Sure it was an unpopular decision to "alter" the look, but it was accepted simply for the fact that it wasn't a butchering of an OG colorway. The first few "Retro +" colorways were just that...An altering of a retro model. The downfall was when they started changing the OG colorways.

AMEN!!!!! should have kept the OG colorways just that....OG!!!! why do they want to try and reinvent the wheel??? it seems now a days, that i would likeit more if brand jordan stopped releasing these jacked up retro's and destroying what i remember of a great shoe....

Good discussion in here. The "oreo" IV might have been the ultimate retro + if it was a true IV with netting and plastic wings (and Nike Air).

^^I wish I had a picture of those white/midnight blue samples that I mentioned earlier. Now THOSE were an amazing colorway! No idea why that one wasscrapped. I'm sure someone on here has pictures. If so please post them.

I remember those, I think someone on here might own one of the shoes (one shoe, not a full pair)! I think the picture is on air-jordans.com

Even back then I thought it was horrible when they started dropping these retro + shoes...I remember seeing the Laney 5's and Oly 6's and just beinghorrified that they had the jumpman on the back of them instead of "Nike Air"....I also was a big believer of OG colorways only....Little did I knowI was witnessing the beginning of the demise of my favorite things in the world at the time....

a lot of good points, but i disagree with keeping the colors og. first off there are retro + colorways that look really nice for example, space jams, flint vii, midnight vi, chambray vii, cool grey xi, pearl ix(should've been a mid) , ice blue x.i for one would choose a few of these over their og counterparts. imo things went down hill when they started making damn near everything limited and cheap.

I actually like the White/Midnight/Columbia IVs
Can do without Oreos or All whites

^^ Yes, toilet paper. I used that in my analogy as a comparison of quality of newer retro Jordans. If unknowing young kids (even older adults) didn't knowthe awesome quality of retro Jordans 7 years ago or more, then they wouldn't know the difference of the terrible retro Jordans that are currently beingreleased. So new retro Jordans = poor toilet paper that employers provide today vs. older retro Jordans = toilet paper of past. ( I use Charmin since I preferquailty over cost, the same as I prefer older retro Jordans instead of the atrocious retro Jordan releases of today).

Make sense?

Originally Posted by mjmoney23

Good discussion in here. The "oreo" IV might have been the ultimate retro + if it was a true IV with netting and plastic wings (and Nike Air).

So true, and I think everyone would agree. It seems like JB is purposely avoiding giving the people what they want. There was so much potential with theJordan IV's, such a classic low cut casual shoe. Why did it have to get the red headed step child treatment?
frown.gif

I think we have only ourselves to blame for this mess. Although some might not have liked the introduction of non-original colorways with Jumpman's inplace of "Nike Air," I think most didn't mind. I think everyone was just happy that they were re-releasing the originals and they scooped up theretro+'s as well since the colorways were actually good looking back then. Since the retro+'s were selling, Brand Jordan took the concept and ran withit until it escalated into what we have today. With a bunch of ex-Pokemon lovers in on the fun buying up anything as long as it has a Jumpman, the situationhas only gotten worse. Sales climb higher and higher, so Brand Jordan continues to release more of the same. We should have never bought into their retro+concept and then this never would have happened. Now, we can only hope that the fad fades soon, at which point, like others have said, maybe things will goback to how they used to be.

Originally Posted by JordansRMyCrack

^^ Yes, toilet paper. I used that in my analogy as a comparison of quality of newer retro Jordans. If unknowing young kids (even older adults) didn't know the awesome quality of retro Jordans 7 years ago or more, then they wouldn't know the difference of the terrible retro Jordans that are currently being released. So new retro Jordans = poor toilet paper that employers provide today vs. older retro Jordans = toilet paper of past. ( I use Charmin since I prefer quailty over cost, the same as I prefer older retro Jordans instead of the atrocious retro Jordan releases of today).

Make sense?

your butt wipe analogy is not over my head, it's just unoriginal and unnecessary. sickkickz23 had already made an analogy that made sense and got thepoint across. you aren't creative for taking one thing that is better than another and comparing them to JB.

...and by the way, Charmin is for losers. I use Ben Franklins.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by jordansponsorsme

I think we have only ourselves to blame for this mess. Although some might not have liked the introduction of non-original colorways with Jumpman's in place of "Nike Air," I think most didn't mind. I think everyone was just happy that they were re-releasing the originals and they scooped up the retro+'s as well since the colorways were actually good looking back then. Since the retro+'s were selling, Brand Jordan took the concept and ran with it until it escalated into what we have today. With a bunch of ex-Pokemon lovers in on the fun buying up anything as long as it has a Jumpman, the situation has only gotten worse. Sales climb higher and higher, so Brand Jordan continues to release more of the same. We should have never bought into their retro+ concept and then this never would have happened. Now, we can only hope that the fad fades soon, at which point, like others have said, maybe things will go back to how they used to be.

While I agree with you in the fact that we did this to ourselves, I disagree with the whole scraping of the Retro + models. What is unacceptable is thefact taht JB is giving us crap quality. Even the Retro + models from the late '90's and early 2000's had good quality. I still have a DS pair ofRetro + XI Whit-Varsity Red lows that have great quality. I recently picked up 2 pair of '99 White-Midnight Navy-Columbia IV's. The quality isamazing. There is nothing wrong IMO with the Retro + concept. It gives JB the flexibility to give us a few different colorways that never made it back in theday. I could care less about the Jumpman. JB is no longer solely affiliated with Nike. An Air Jordan has not had a Nike symbol since '92. That is anon-issue with me.

Where it all goes wrong is with everyone buying an Air Jordan with a crap level of quality. It is acceptable in the minds of the JB heads to give us crapquality when they are still selling.

Originally Posted by 9 deuce gt

Originally Posted by jordansponsorsme

I think we have only ourselves to blame for this mess. Although some might not have liked the introduction of non-original colorways with Jumpman's in place of "Nike Air," I think most didn't mind. I think everyone was just happy that they were re-releasing the originals and they scooped up the retro+'s as well since the colorways were actually good looking back then. Since the retro+'s were selling, Brand Jordan took the concept and ran with it until it escalated into what we have today. With a bunch of ex-Pokemon lovers in on the fun buying up anything as long as it has a Jumpman, the situation has only gotten worse. Sales climb higher and higher, so Brand Jordan continues to release more of the same. We should have never bought into their retro+ concept and then this never would have happened. Now, we can only hope that the fad fades soon, at which point, like others have said, maybe things will go back to how they used to be.

While I agree with you in the fact that we did this to ourselves, I disagree with the whole scraping of the Retro + models. What is unacceptable is the fact taht JB is giving us crap quality. Even the Retro + models from the late '90's and early 2000's had good quality. I still have a DS pair of Retro + XI Whit-Varsity Red lows that have great quality. I recently picked up 2 pair of '99 White-Midnight Navy-Columbia IV's. The quality is amazing. There is nothing wrong IMO with the Retro + concept. It gives JB the flexibility to give us a few different colorways that never made it back in the day. I could care less about the Jumpman. JB is no longer solely affiliated with Nike. An Air Jordan has not had a Nike symbol since '92. That is a non-issue with me.

Where it all goes wrong is with everyone buying an Air Jordan with a crap level of quality. It is acceptable in the minds of the JB heads to give us crap quality when they are still selling.

exactly! people need to understand that it's JORDAN BRAND for a reason. Jordan himself wants the shoes to have a jumpman on the back. it's hiscompany and the jumpman is his symbol. the quality issue is the real problem. with a few exceptions all retros released after 02 was trash. JB needs to focuson giving us quality over quantity.

mann...what if JB just started to give us what we want. Im only 14 but i certainly know what you guys mean. My HS is just filled with rainbow colored jordans,fusions and fake jordans. not only the looks are horrible but the quality is too. i had bought a pair of v's to ball in (stealth's) and already theglue is making the shoe fall apart.

As far as the first retro +'s....they were cool and sold well but not like the OG colorways. As far as quality, the quality now can't even touch thequality then.....If the quality was the same, my retroes from 1999, 2000, and 2001 would be falling apart. The quality started to wane with the Retro 9 in 2002with that cheap !!! paint they used on the midsole. it's just went downhill from there.

I dogged the s__t out those white/navy 4s... the very first J I was able to cop with money I worked for. I know that has nothing to do with the question but sowhat. I'm reminiscing.

Back
Top Bottom