Prop 8 overturned- Equality/Love/Common Sense 1 Hate 0

Originally Posted by HankMoody

http://www.wnyc.org/shows...07/proposition-8-ruling/

~9 minute interview with a NYU law professor on the ruling. He says this will probably reach the SC.

I don't see how this ruling doesn't reach the SC...

Technically the passing and repealing of this proposition kinda violated the constitution twice.
laugh.gif

Wow, what's next, polygamy? Pair of "gay" 12 year olds marrying? Bestiality ?

At what point do we all just say f it and let them cut our balls off.
When will it stop? Today's marriage tomorrow they'll want to adopt black kids from Africa.
Let's just move them all to Canada or Mexico, and cross our fingers.

Trolledhard.jpeg

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

2013 polygamy 2014 beastiality etc. Will be legal.

I actually think polygamy should be legal with CONSENTING ADULTS. 
You know what my problem is with bestiality?

I don't care if you want to screw your horse or get your frog to lick your nuts...

The problem I DO have however is that of consent.

Another animal can't issue consent for you to engage in those activities.

If a grown man wants to have sex with another man or if a woman wants to be gang-banged with her list of husbands, I DO NOT CARE. They consented to it and agreed to it.

However, that little goat doesn't have a choice as to whether or not it has sex with you once you force it to, does it?

Thats why I think bestiality should be illegal.

The "its icky and gross" response is only for those who can't formulate a more substantive opinion. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

I don't care if you want to screw your horse or get your frog to lick your nuts...

If a grown man wants to have sex with another man or if a woman wants to be gang-banged with her list of husbands, I DO NOT CARE. They consented to it and agreed to it.

However, that little goat doesn't have a choice as to whether or not it has sex with you once you force it to, does it?

The "its icky and gross" response is only for those who can't formulate a more substantive opinion. 

The problem with Polygamy is the children that get raised in it.  They don't deserve it.  You can't raise children in a home like that and think it won't effect them.  Thats how you have these old guys with multiple wives and marrying them as young as 18.  Alot of these children and mostly female get brainwashed.  Plus these kids don't even know their father as a person because he's spending time working or with his other 4 families within the family.  

Could it be done right? Yeah probably.  But does it? Rarely.  You gotta protect people from themselves.  Its not like its as simple as a episode of Three's Company.  I wouldn't mind 3 single adults being married.  But its never that simple. 

Also think about the insurance and benefits. People would abuse that to the max.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

The problem with Polygamy is the children that get raised in it.  They don't deserve it.  You can't raise children in a home like that and think it won't effect them.  Thats how you have these old guys with multiple wives and marrying them as young as 18.  Alot of these children and mostly female get brainwashed.  Plus these kids don't even know their father as a person because he's spending time working or with his other 4 families within the family.  

Could it be done right? Yeah probably.  But does it? Rarely.  You gotta protect people from themselves.  Its not like its as simple as a episode of Three's Company.  I wouldn't mind 3 single adults being married.  But its never that simple. 

Also think about the insurance and benefits. People would abuse that to the max.
Did you ask to be born where you were born and how you were born? We are all dealt different cards. The same people in the same neighborhood can have a wonderful experience of youth or equate it to crawling out of the depths of hell into adulthood. 

18 years old is the legal standard of adult hood. Its their problem of how they want to live their personal life. Its not my job to play matchmaker or to legitimize how stupid or smart an adult will be in making personal decisions about their sex-life.

So only kids with polygamist families don't know their parents? This is such a baseless point you're trying to make. You can't even back this point up. You're making a straw-man argument here that doesn't even exist. 

Divorce and single parent homes are already an expensive burden on society if you want examples of how that manifests into more problems. Additionally, you can't assert how much it would affect the economy. There aren't any examples of it on a wide-scale in the western world. People already abuse marriage for the immigration purposes and tax benefits, whats your point? 

I have problem with dudes like Warren Jeffs who both raped and had sexual contact with underaged girls. THAT is where I draw the line. But you can't legislate the private lives of citizens in the bedroom...especially when the dudes making the laws are some of the biggest hypocrites themselves.

Of everything you stated, it was all opinion. Nothing factual. 

It sounds like you created a very specific situation and you're attacking polygamy based on that. 
Edit: I can agree that green cards through marriage could easily be abused through polygamy. You didn't directly say that, but you did mention "benefits".

Did you ask to be born where you were born and how you were born? We are all dealt different cards. The same people in the same neighborhood can have a wonderful experience of youth or equate it to crawling out of the depths of hell into adulthood. 

18 years old is the legal standard of adult hood. Its their problem of how they want to live their personal life. Its not my job to play matchmaker or to legitimize how stupid or smart an adult will be in making personal decisions about their sex-life.

So only kids with polygamist families don't know their parents? This is such a baseless point you're trying to make. You can't even back this point up. You're making a straw-man argument here that doesn't even exist. 

Divorce and single parent homes are already an expensive burden on society if you want examples of how that manifests into more problems. Additionally, you can't assert how much it would affect the economy. There aren't any examples of it on a wide-scale in the western world. People already abuse marriage for the immigration purposes and tax benefits, whats your point? 

I have problem with dudes like Warren Jeffs who both raped and had sexual contact with underaged girls. THAT is where I draw the line. But you can't legislate the private lives of citizens in the bedroom...especially when the dudes making the laws are some of the biggest hypocrites themselves.

Lima Bean font - did I ask to be here? No.  but people deserve to be raised in healthy environments.  Take adult that grew up in bad situation and they will say "I wouldn't have minded growing up easier".  Some people grew up with abusive parents...and still came out successful. So what.  What about the ones that didn't.  I thought you were an advocate for human rights?  Shouldn't kids be given the chance to grow up with the confusion of polygamy?

Pikachu Electric Highlighter font - 18 is young. Many people make mistakes.  Kids are still in high school at 18. In some situations these girls are raised in a sex trade. By the time they are adults they make horrible decisions because of what they've been brain washed to believe. Lets stop the cycle.  That was my point in the lima bean font.

Lisa Anne vagina Pink  font - No polygamist arent the only kids that don't know their parents.  But like my point was let's avoid the possibility of one man fathering a huge amount of children because he simply won't have enough time for them.  Why would you be ok with knowing these kids have the same relationship with their father that a office worker and CEO have.  Hi and bye.  It can be avoided.  This has nothing to do with the dead beat dads, overworked dads, and emotionally cold fathers of normal relationships.  Stay on topic Putty.

Waters of lake Minnetonka font - If there's no examples of this in our Western World why would you argue against me? If people already abuse the system like you stated...then why would we give them another chance to do it this way?  This is like the Jamie Foxx episode when he got the "partna" insurance for Bill Bellamy.  Sorry but no company wants to pay for your 6 spouses and 40 children.

I'm concerned you don't see the amount of wrong polygamy brings.

Are you going to provide anything factual? Nothing you've said is strictly limited to polygamy. Your arguments are no different than those that state that gay parents can't raise children the same way that straight parents can.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Are you going to provide anything factual? Nothing you've said is strictly limited to polygamy. Your arguments are no different than those that state that gay parents can't raise children the same way that straight parents can.
Sorry I don't have graphs and case studies on deck.  But I have seen more than enough interviews and television programs on the topic.  So if you are so pro-polygamy why don't you give me your facts to why is should be legal?  Please show me some cases of where polygamy is doing more positive than negative in the lives of children. Show me your facts. 

And this discussion is staying on the topic of polygamy do not even derail this with talk about gay issues. Just don't.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Sorry I don't have graphs and case studies on deck.  But I have seen more than enough interviews and television programs on the topic.  So if you are so pro-polygamy why don't you give me your facts to why is should be legal?  Please show me some cases of where polygamy is doing more positive than negative in the lives of children. Show me your facts. 

And this discussion is staying on the topic of polygamy do not even derail this with talk about gay issues. Just don't.

Where did I say I was pro-polygamy? 
I am pointing out that everything that you've said about polygamy can be found in heterosexual, monogamist marriages. Nothing you said was specific to polygamy aside from a man having multiple wives. You're guilty of the slippery slope fallacy, something I posted a link to previously in this topic. You're stating that all of these terrible things will happen in a polygamist family and that's based on what, personal anecdotes? 

If you're going to suggest that polygamy leads to a terrible home for children, you better be prepared to back that up. I've heard over and over again about how gay parents can't raise children. Hopefully you can imagine why what you're saying means very little without evidence. 

sillyputty wrote:
MonStar1 wrote:

Lima Bean font - did I ask to be here? No.  but people deserve to be raised in healthy environments.  Take adult that grew up in bad situation and they will say "I wouldn't have minded growing up easier".  Some people grew up with abusive parents...and still came out successful. So what.  What about the ones that didn't.  I thought you were an advocate for human rights?  Shouldn't kids be given the chance to grow up with the confusion of polygamy?

First of all, no one deserves anything. I'm an advocate for human rights but I'm also not going to compound that with forcing people to raise children how I want them to be raised. I just can't do that. I hope that people make choices that agree with my view on the world but I would be wrong to force others to do so. 

And nothing you're saying actually deals with polygamy or how it affects children

Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman are doing pretty damn well if you ask me. 

My point is, nothing you're saying says that polygamy is inherently BAD for children. 

How is polygamy worse than huge families? Just explain the difference.
Pikachu Electric Highlighter font - 18 is young. Many people make mistakes.  Kids are still in high school at 18. In some situations these girls are raised in a sex trade. By the time they are adults they make horrible decisions because of what they've been brain washed to believe. Lets stop the cycle.  That was my point in the lima bean font.

So you can fight and die for your country but I can't decide who I want to sleep with at 18? 
Get over yourself. 

Stop coddling these young adults. They are capable of making decisions. Some of those decisions will ruin their lives, other decisions will vastly improve their lives. But its all choices they have to make.

Lisa Anne vagina Pink  font - No polygamist arent the only kids that don't know their parents.  But like my point was let's avoid the possibility of one man fathering a huge amount of children because he simply won't have enough time for them.  Why would you be ok with knowing these kids have the same relationship with their father that a office worker and CEO have.  Hi and bye.  It can be avoided.  This has nothing to do with the dead beat dads, overworked dads, and emotionally cold fathers of normal relationships.  Stay on topic Putty.

If a father was going to be around, he was going to do it anyways. You can't assume that dads will leave like that. Thats ridiculous. 
You're not even staying on topic.

Where is your factual evidence for anything you're saying? 

This is all based on your opinion of what could happen. Not something that says kids in polygamist families don't know their parents.

And even if that IS true, how does that affect how the kids are raised? Are you telling me kids raised in single parent homes are inherently worse than those without a mom and a dad?

Or what about two dads? or two moms? 

Shouldn't you be concerned about just raising the kid at the end of the day and not who or how many people do it?

Again, nothing you're saying is an ACTUAL case against polygamy.

Waters of lake Minnetonka font - If there's no examples of this in our Western World why would you argue against me?

Because you created an argument just to prove your point, but it had no basis of evidence behind it. 
 If people already abuse the system like you stated...then why would we give them another chance to do it this way? 
Because its not that big of a deal.
Its not like people getting green-cards for permanent residence or tax purposes is enough of a hindrance on society to render the more common heterosexual marriage invalid.

This is like the Jamie Foxx episode when he got the "partna" insurance for Bill Bellamy.  Sorry but no company wants to pay for your 6 spouses and 40 children.

So?

Thats a private company. It doesn't mean that he is inherently a bad person or that he can't take care of those kids. Thats a personal problem of his. 

I'm concerned you don't see the amount of wrong polygamy brings.

Because you're not giving a literal WRONG that polygamy brings.

Your entire stance against polygamy is based on your opinion, NOT something that says having multiple wives or husbands is objectively wrong and inherently negative. 

You also just make up scenarios that have no basis at all. 
Additionally, everything you're saying can be applied to heterosexual marriages. 
Are you seriously going to legislate that a woman can't love more than one man or be married to more than one man and vice versa? Why or why not? 

Additionally, everything you're saying can be applied to heterosexual marriages. 
i think this is an important point....

in other words, people that are pro-polygamy should be able to state their case without having to rely on gay marriage as a precedent.  it's a completely separate argument from the one at hand.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Over 7 Million Californians voted YES

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#val=CAI01p1
Over 7 millions Californians votes YES on a bill that has been deemed unconstitutional. Your point is moot.
when i first heard this argument by the pro-prop 8 groups (always some kind of "preserve" or "protect" or "family values" name), i looked up the number of voters in CA: 13 million+. so just under 7 million voters voted NO on this bill. while I understand that its a majority, that just goes to show you that this is still a hotly debated and polarizing topic that wont be resolved anytime soon.

[table][tr][td]
14px-Yes_check.svg.png
Yes[/td][td]7,001,084[/td][td]52.24%[/td][/tr][tr][td]
14px-X_mark.svg.png
No[/td][td]6,401,482[/td][td]47.76%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Valid votes[/td][td]13,402,566[/td][td]97.52%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Invalid or blank votes[/td][td]340,611[/td][td]2.48%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Total votes[/td][td]13,743,177[/td][td]100.00%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Voter turnout[/td][td]79.42%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Electorate[/td][td]17,304,428
[/td][/tr][/table]via Wikipedia

that said, good for them. the pro-8 groups on TV here in CA had not one legitimate legal argument for it.

LOL @ some of the dumb arguments in here against polygamy

People on NT have never picked up a history book or any book in their lives, people are acting like polygamous societies haven't existed or don't exist during many time periods and in many cultures

"You gotta think about the harm it does to the kids"
roll.gif
Didn't people in the bible have multiple wives?

The only argument I have against polygamy is that I don't think they should have any additional benefits, aside from that I really don't see the problem as long as its consensual

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

People on NT have never picked up a history book or any book in their lives, people are acting like polygamous societies haven't existed or don't exist during many time periods and in many cultures

roll.gif

The only argument I have against polygamy is that I don't think they should have any additional benefits, aside from that I really don't see the problem as long as its consensual

Why are you using references that you don't believe in? 

Don't pick at straws MonStar.
Take Nigerian culture for instance. Some chiefs had multiple wives. And this is in the 20th century
And the reason I mentioned the judge being gay is the fact that the law in question is preventing him from doing something he might do.  By the same token, a pedophile judge shouldn't be able to change the laws on the age of consent.

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

Take Nigerian culture for instance. Some chiefs had multiple wives. And this is in the 20th century
And the reason I mentioned the judge being gay is the fact that the law in question is preventing him from doing something he might do.  By the same token, a pedophile judge shouldn't be able to change the laws on the age of consent.

This was the judge that allowed prop 8 in the first place if I remember correctly and thats what threw some people off about the whole thing. 
Now he reversed his decision. 

I'd say he showed that he can weigh decisions independent of his own lifestyle. 

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

I agree.

But You don't think someone who is 16 or 17 mature enough to give consent?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

roll.gif

Why are you using references that you don't believe in? 
He always does that 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom