Post your unpopular music opinions

Futures voice is filled more with pain & struggle. Dude aint trying to be comical with his raps. If you want a funny trap rapper then listen to Gucci lol. Lil B is the funniest rapper ever tho, only guy that ever made me literally laugh out loud while listening to him :lol:

While we're on R&B

Alicia Keys is the most overrated R&B artist who has mediocre work after mediocre work. She's a Clive Davis fake Whitney Houston creation. From the manufactured name, and playing the piano to "I got in to Columbia"/ She had a dope first couple of songs, and the rest of it's been a bunch of filler with some good songs here and there. Oooooooo, let me go watch someone sit at a piano. As if you get brownie points for that.

Chris Brown has stunted his career so much. I'm shocked at his longevity, though in this era I'm not. The I'm young stuff to me is getting old, when you're in your mid 20's. It will be interesting when he hits 30.

Rihanna has "it". She has superstar appeal, which makes up for little to no talent. Similar to Madonna.

I dislike all of J Cole and Kendrick's music. I have lots of respect for them as artists and won't deny the objective greatness of their music but I just think it's such a snoozefest for me. Especially J Cole. TPAB is the most bearable album I could listen to without skipping too much. Still ended up putting it in the recycle bin though.

I also don't like Jay-Z or Nas. Eminem has a few gems here and there but for the most part I don't like him either.

Last edited:

I dislike all of J Cole and Kendrick's music. I have lots of respect for them as artists and won't deny the objective greatness of their music but I just think it's such a snoozefest for me. Especially J Cole. TPAB is the most bearable album I could listen to without skipping too much. Still ended up putting it in the recycle bin though.

I also don't like Jay-Z or Nas. Eminem has a few gems here and there but for the most part I don't like him either.
wow.

Truth. I will always listen to their new projects to see if I like it but everything they've put out has landed in my recycle bin after a week or so.

I also don't have a single Jay-Z or Nas song on my computer or phone aside from Watch The Throne songs if that counts.

Last edited:
To stay on R&B or just singers in general, I think Erykah Badu is the still the titleholder in terms of quality albums and talent.

Alicia had the world at the palm of her hands and gave it all away with average/fodder filled albums.

Beyonce has a great voice but she's super simplistic. The world is hers though.

Rihanna definitely has it. Most of her albums are trash but she has the flair to draw people in and that's what keeps her afloat. She'll drop a hot song or at the very least something with some staying power but the actual albums are just....eh (aside from Rated R).

Janelle is great. Can never say enough positive thing about her music.

Solange is great. She'll never have the time in the sun but she makes some dope music.

Plenty of undercard singers are making great music right now.

Hip hop killed R&B. And this singing/rapping that dudes are doing(Ty $, Future...) is making it even worse. The irony is that Sam Smith and Adele blew up. In a copycat music industry you didn't see more black R&B signings.

J Cole is a boring rapper as a mainstream artist to me. I liked him when he was doing mixtapes better. But his music holds no replay value. Once I hear it a couple of times, I'm good. I think people want to like him though. He's a nice guy and he's not like the current mainstream artist. I think a lot of his fans are pretentious and they want to show they're different than the current Migos and Future wave. It's sort of the problem I had when Lupe came out. People want brownie points according to who they like. The artist are marketed as being different, but they're a bunch of underground artist you won't give a shot or deal to.

Last edited:
Lauren Hill is Overrated
Joe Budden is Overrated
Schoolboy Q isn't as good as he thinks he is
The Internet is killin hip hop
EDM is Overrated
Ice Cube is Underrated
Brotha Lynch Hung > Tech N9ne
Tech N9ne is overrated

Ice Cube is underrated, because like most rappers from the late 80's he started off strong and then got caught up in the hype and labels pushing him to do what was hot to stay relevant. He really should be in everyones top 10. I stopped when Cube started to get wicked and bite Das. It's odd how Tupac is admired, but Cube was doing a lot if not more on his first two albums and EP. Then he did a total reversal. I mean it's the reason he's relevant today, but still.

Jay Dee aka Jay Dilla is overrated. We tend to overrate people who die. He did a lot of songs, and I hear a lot more mediocre ones. He's a producesr producer, but I almost think of him as more of a beat maker, because some of his songs needed more.

Pun was better than L, from an unbiased opinion. Pun is underrated from non-latinos.

Phonte is a top five southern rapper

50 really wasn't that good of a rapper. With the exception of a few songs on GRODT, they've aged horribly to me. Listening to him is like listening to early 80's rap. He just came out during the right time period.

Last edited:
I think that if Chante Moore had a strong team (writers/producers) she could have been a huge star. She can sing just as well, if not better than any female vocalist.

I don't think labels knew what to do with her, Tamia and Deborah Cox. All could sing and were fine, but had pretty mediocre careers.

Last edited:
jodeci is the greatest r&b group ever

donell jones, jaheim and avant dont get the credit they deserve because they came up in the usher, sisqo and ginuwine era

The College Dropout is by far the best Kanye album.

Speakerboxx/The Love Below is incredibly overrated apart from these two which are genuine classics IMO (I love the first three Outkast albums).

Res was ahead of her time. Look at how many artist we have blurring the lines between various genres...she would've fit in perfectly in today's music industry

A lot of the past rappers we champion for their technical skills (Jada, Fab, whoever you can think of) are incomplete artists. They never put together a great well rounded project but because of when they entered the game they get that distuighed "veteran" label.

The Love Below was Andre's attempt at being a multi-genre artist and based on the response he did well....but he squandered it and can't return to music because he can't live up to the hype that would follow.

Res was ahead of her time. Look at how many artist we have blurring the lines between various genres...she would've fit in perfectly in today's music industry

A lot of the past rappers we champion for their technical skills (Jada, Fab, whoever you can think of) are incomplete artists. They never put together a great well rounded project but because of when they entered the game they get that distuighed "veteran" label.

I agree with both of these

I just don't get how Fabolous with his mixtapes vs albums are night and day. I look forward to all his tapes (well, TINC3 was trash), but I've never had interest in his albums.

I always thought Kiss of Death was a complete album from Jadakiss, but after repeat listens over the years, there's like 4-5 songs that really water down that album. Seems like a couple songs were placed on there solely in an effort to chart on the billboard.

Dru Hill > Jodeci, by a hair.

Sisqo is one of the most talented r&b singers ever. His vocal range x dancing is insane.

graduation is kanyes best album

beyonce makes mediocre music but her status is the reason why these girls are brainwashed by it

jadakiss is an above average lyricist, nothing special about him and i hate when people claim he never had a wack verse

and sisqo can not dance plus he took k-ci singing style

zaytoven sound is getting played out, hes giving his beats to anybody thus making his sound generic

Back
Top Bottom